Author Topic: Free PDF 500 page book on Analogue design secrets.... worth a look ?  (Read 36725 times)

Offline caffeinatedbard

• Regular Contributor
Re: Free PDF 500 page book on Analogue design secrets.... worth a look ?
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Mr. Green,

I must have misconstrued the facts and I apologize for that.  I was under the impression the pubisher pulled the plug on the book just because, not knowing the publisher was yourself. 

My admiration for you is even greater now because I know you had to make tough decisions about the direction you wanted your book to take.  There's is no shame in admitting you treasured your work enough to know a different publisher could do better and until you found one that cared for your work as much as you did, you would take matters into your hands.   This character trait, I bet, is very common among engineers; sometimes, you just have to do the damn thing yourself. haha

I would love to hear more about your story on the Amphour or on this forum and hopefully Dave and Chris are reading this and will put this one at the top of their list.

Cheers!

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 07:56:00 pm »
Hello Lesolee,  perchance, did you try Newnes books or other folks at Elsevier, as publishers?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

HLA-27b

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 08:36:30 pm »
Ah, hmm, well, let's be fair about this. I AM the publisher of the paperback. To be fair I had to sack myself as Director of Marketing, Vice President of Internal Sales etc.  ::)

Oh dear! Mr Green you and your book need representation. Self publishing never worked as it should for serious texts.

Offline CodeDog

• Contributor
  • cave canem
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 09:26:12 pm »
This is a brilliant piece of work - not just for the content but also the style.

Thank-you.

I ordered a hard copy and I hope I made it in time before they're all gone.

Offline gordo51

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2012, 02:14:09 am »
Downloaded the book and donated 15 Euros, about $24 Cdn.  Not much for a 500 page book however I hope it is appreciated.
When I was in university we had "required" textbooks.  It would be hard to get through the course without one. I still have some of them and when I look at the inside cover and see something like $25 as the price I smile thinking how I thought they were expensive at the time.  Now I try to buy all my books used.  Amazon is one good source and used bookstores near universitys or technical colleges are another.  Now if I could just find time to read them...

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2012, 02:25:25 am »
I received my hard copy of the book last week just days after placing the order. Kudos to Leslie for putting it in the post so quickly. I don't get international postage--sometimes it takes weeks and sometimes it takes days.

If I have one disappointment it is that the book is soft cover, not hard cover. But the content is definitely worth the money. I guess you can't have it all  :)

Offline ModernRonin

• Contributor
« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2012, 05:55:29 am »
The password for the answer key PDFs is "book$owner".

This is mentioned in the Preface of the actual book, but it takes a bit of hunting to find that fact out.

BTW, this book is nothing short of FUCKING AMAZING. Well done, Mr. Green!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2012, 12:08:41 pm »
BTW, I have also uploaded the book onto the eevblog dedicated server (with permission).
http://eevblog.com/files/seekPDF.pdf
So no possible bandwidth issues now.

Dave.

HLA-27b

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »
Dave you published a book if I'm not mistaken. Was that a self publish or did you use a publisher? Maybe a similar approach can be used here?

Offline aluck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2012, 04:23:29 pm »
where did you get those PDFs?

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
Hi Dave I've posted your link to Lesleys book in the sticky thread here https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/electronics-primers-course-material-and-books/30/
so that more people can find it. Hope this is ok :)
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2012, 01:16:56 pm »
where did you get those PDFs?
If you read the Preface it gives you a link to his webpage and you will find them there.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:19:20 pm by FreeThinker »
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »
just read some sections from this book. i will say this goes par on par with AoE qualitatively, they both explaining more on the dark art and practical side of ee. where AoE covers more chapters but explaining it briefly, this Analog Seekret book cover less topics but every of it (as far as i read) is explained to a greater extend, and more importantly from practical side of view probably (if i'm correct from reading it) from an analog master. granted its only 500+pages compared to AoE 1000+pages. and much analog problem i'm dealing rite now is in the book, even the resistor section (i skipped) i thought its a simple explanation but i was wrong (after rob directed me to the section) there a bunch of resistor/divider combination there i havent go through in detail.

i believe this deserves a good sale but its sad its not the case. maybe the failure is in the marketing? with a good support and promotion (maybe dave?) i believe this book can be brought back to market and a good complement to AoE book esp to new postgraduates. and its focus more on analog only, a dying art? imh_2cnt_o YMMV
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2012, 04:06:53 pm »
I agree mecha,  And you can't just casually read this book unless you are already an analog guru.  I am trying to digest the section on resistors and potentiometers now.  You would think that would be trivial but it is very involved, and Leslie gives excellent examples of how not knowing all the subtle nuances can lead to poor design and performance. 

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2012, 06:26:31 pm »
And you can't just casually read this book unless you are already an analog guru
yes i believe this is not for bedtime story. before doing some practice istr came across topic like this. noise, tolerance, ground loop etc. its actually harder than it sounds, it was been taken lightly (same with other writings from the real practitioner). after doing a little bit of (PITA) practice on it, every words in it is worth every bit of carefull deep thought.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2012, 02:18:19 am »
Actually I find it's excellent bedtime reading. Reading barely half a chapter sends me to sleep.

Just kidding  ;D  It's really a brilliant book.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf