Author Topic: Free PDF 500 page book on Analogue design secrets.... worth a look ?  (Read 36673 times)

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
Re: Free PDF 500 page book on Analogue design secrets.... worth a look ?
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 01:16:14 pm »
I gifted him something through paypal. Wonder how much he will get
don't quote me on that, but usual paypal policy is charging 1-3%, which is not too much for me.
I think he means how much will he get in TOTAL rather than how much paypay will slice off the top. ;D
The link to ANALOG SEEKrets, DC to Daylight while working is S_L_O_W and I could not get the download link to work.
Looking for a temp host to upload pdf to so everyone can download this great doc. any ideas?
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »
Plusnet are plastering the TV at the moment with their slogan... "Good honest broadband from Yorkshire" ... hmmm.

I smell a rat every time a business feels the need to explicitly point out they are honest.
That's not a rat you can smell....It's Yorkshire Tea. :)
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

HLA-27b

« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 01:37:00 pm »
Google sites will host a site of up to 100MB in size for free, including a zip file.
Its very easy as well.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:07:35 pm by HAL-42b »

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »
Well your link is 404. I could be nasty and say Google couldn't find is own arse in a fog but maybe its just dropped it's file sharing....Can't think why... Unless I'm being thick!  :o :)
MOONDOG

HLA-27b

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »
Sorry my mistake :-[ fixed now.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 04:16:26 pm »
Loaded to rapid share https://rapidshare.com/#!download|251l33|3105166522|seekPDF.pdf|9640|R~0|0|0|RapidPro expired. (34fa3175)
MOONDOG

Offline stk

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2012, 08:48:47 pm »
Hi there any chance of re uploading this please.

Thanks

Offline ron

• Regular Contributor
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:20:27 pm by ron »

Offline Lesolee

• Regular Contributor
    • publications list
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2012, 10:37:19 am »
Hi,

I was searching for information on Gould 500MHz active scope probes and stumbled upon a site where the author of an Analogue design technical book has released it into the public domain in PDF format.

This book on Analogue circuit design may be of interest to others so I am including the links below:

From a brief look it appears very informative and interesting.

Aurora
Well it is me, the author of said book. Thanks very much for posting the link.

After years of virtually no sales of the hard copy version it is great if some people can get some value out of the six years it took me to write. To get zero return on that much investment would surely be pretty hard on anyone, so a few nice comments, a few sales, and a few donations has been a big boost to the ego.

Perhaps those who have never undertaken such an enterprise cannot appreciate how hard criticism can be on an author (or maybe its just me).  In many respects kind words are more valuable to me than a few pennies in the coffers, although donations are a very tangible way of saying “thank you”.

For those who have uploaded copies to other sites you have my permission and thanks. Financially (and emotionally) I have had to right off this project as a total loss years ago. If people can find value in it then good luck to them.

Offline aluck

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2012, 11:27:55 am »
Financially (and emotionally) I have had to right off this project as a total loss years ago. If people can find value in it then good luck to them.
This book has a lot of value. It's a kind of gem for me.

It is so strange, that such a good book was obscure for a long time, and I am sure that one day it will become a classic textbook

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Thank you Mr.Green !
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 12:31:43 pm »
Well it is me, the author of said book. Thanks very much for posting the link.

After years of virtually no sales of the hard copy version it is great if some people can get some value out of the six years it took me to write. To get zero return on that much investment would surely be pretty hard on anyone, so a few nice comments, a few sales, and a few donations has been a big boost to the ego.

Perhaps those who have never undertaken such an enterprise cannot appreciate how hard criticism can be on an author (or maybe its just me).  In many respects kind words are more valuable to me than a few pennies in the coffers, although donations are a very tangible way of saying “thank you”.

For those who have uploaded copies to other sites you have my permission and thanks. Financially (and emotionally) I have had to right off this project as a total loss years ago. If people can find value in it then good luck to them.

Mr.Green, its very nice to see you here, just want to say thank you very much for your excellent piece of work, really love it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 12:42:33 pm by BravoV »

HLA-27b

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 12:57:31 pm »
Mr Geen

Such a honor to see you here. Your book is the best read about electronics I had for long time. In the few days that passed after first seeing it I felt the urge to quote you on near every thread on this forum and I believe I did actually, on a few occasions.

Thank you very much for your valuable book and I hope it reaches its deserved acclaim very soon.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 01:26:02 pm »
A few thoughts for getting some money out of it with minimal additional effort, although may be a little late now....
Give away a few chapters and make a small charge for the rest.
Amazon Kindle /Apple e-book version?
Some sort of sponsorship deal with a relevant semiconductor/testgear/design software company/distributor (RS/Farnell/Digikey?)

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 02:00:33 pm »
I have had to right off this project as a total loss years ago. If people can find value in it then good luck to them.

Good to see you here. If you have the time perhaps you will stick around.

No way should you regard the book as a total loss. You have now put your work into a huge essentially zero cost production and distribution system. The down side is your customers now set the price which can include zero. My only criticism (or suggestion) is that you should have made it obvious you were accepting donations in a preface to the book or something so that it also gets duplicated.

I would like to think this is not just an alternative to traditional publication but a better alternative where more people benefit from the work and authors get more reward for their effort. Something which the internet has enabled, but, perhaps that is wishful thinking.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »
Apple has launched a new publishing platform as we speak, it might be a worthwhile to give that a shot. I wouldn't expect to get rich overnight, but might earn you some good beer money. :P

Also if you need a hand or tips with website design, etc, feel free to ask.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 03:11:30 pm »
Apple has launched a new publishing platform as we speak, it might be a worthwhile to give that a shot. I wouldn't expect to get rich overnight, but might earn you some good beer money. :P

There is certainly no shortage of publishing platforms. E.g. lulu.com or booksurge.com are in the business for some time now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:16:48 pm by BoredAtWork »
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline caffeinatedbard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 06:22:49 pm »
Mr. Green,

Your book is spectacular.  Thank you for your efforts!  I know you have emotional scars from the way the publisher handled your book but this could be the start of something great. 

With the many examples of "viral" marketing happening all over the internet, I am sure your book will get the exposure it deserves and the reward you have been waiting for and fully earned.

Cheers!

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »
I know this book has potential to be featured in many electronics sites, specially on Hack-a-Day. Just thinking out loud.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »
A zip file with the book and the answers as its content is available on my site:
http://www.lesnagy.ca/seekrets/seekrets.zip

Please read the readme.text contained within.

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »
Hello and Welcome Mr Green
If you have a spare hour or two you may like to listen to Daves other pet project TheAmphour podcast that he and Chris Gammell produce every week. It was Chris that mentioned your book last week in http://www.theamphour.com/2012/01/23/the-amp-hour-79-ludibrious-luxating-layout/ (Don't pay too much attention to the title Chris likes to use long words no one has heard of ) Each 1 hour show is full of chat and opinion and even electronics and great entertainment.
Ps Thanks for the nice email  :)
 Heads up to all forum members, He still has 5 copies of his book left so if you want one be quick, if you downloaded please donate a a few quid as a thank you (his paypal account name is in the preface)
MOONDOG

Online FraserTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:57 pm »
I am really pleased that Mr Green's book is getting some exposure via this Forum. I have not had the chance to read the PDF version thoroughly but from what I have seen it appears to be highly informative for designers of analogue circuits. It is indeed a great pity that the book did not get the required launch from the publishers that it so deserves. I was once a student and I did not have a grant. Text books were a major financial drain on my savings but I knew they were an essential element of my learning process. I managed to buy all my books by either drinking less Beer or borrowing from my parents. Lack of a grant is not an excuse to not have the appropriate texts from which to learn. You invest now in order to get a return later in life, when exams and employment require the knowledge gained. It is a great pity that Mr Greens book has not been recognised as an essential text by at least the UK's Universities and colleges. In PDF format the book is easily and cheaply distributed, which means it's content could do good work in many countries, some of which are still developing. I am hopeful that this book attracts the attention of those who can make the best use of it's well written content and also ensure that Mr Green receives the well deserved recognition for his hard labour over 6 years.     

Mr Green, I am not a design engineer but I know a well written and quality book when I see one. That is is why I highlighted the books existence on this forum. I am over the moon that others also believe your book worthy of greater recognition in the electronics and educational arenas. You have been very generous to release the book on the internet at no cost but you do deserve financial reward for your efforts from those who use your book regularly. Like Shareware, you get a chance to sample the product and if you use it, you should make a contribution to the author by way of thanks for their efforts.

My discovery of your excellent book, and my posting on this forum, all came about after I purchased a Gould 500MHz active oscilloscope probe and started hunting for information on it via Google. Your Index page contained a reference to Gould and so I visited it.... a totally accidental discovery that will hopefully bring you your overdue reward. Thank goodness you mentioned Gould on that page !

I hope you do receive plenty of donations as a result of this exposure on EEVBlog and hopefully other electronics forums.

I wish you all the best and thank you for taking the time to write this book.

6 years in the making... I salute you.

Aurora
United Kingdom
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:20:29 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline ChrisW

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 09:25:16 pm »
Thank-you Mr Green!

Donation sent!

Offline Blue

• Regular Contributor
  • Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 09:32:22 pm »
Mr Green,

Many thanks for your book. It is now a classic in my library (and there are not many classics in my lib consisting of over 5000 books).  :)

If you put it on Lulu.com, you might get more revenue as I would love to get a paper book.

Offline reagle

• Supporter
    • KuzyaTech
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 02:26:42 am »
I second that- with the number of self-publishing options these days, and most of the hard work already done, it should be relatively easy to make kit available on demand. Most of us will end up reading it in pdf form and then wanting a hard copy as well. That should also leave the author more money than traditional publishing deals

Offline Lesolee

• Regular Contributor
    • publications list
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 05:08:01 pm »
Many thanks for the kind support on this thread.  :)
Mr. Green,

... I know you have emotional scars from the way the publisher handled your book but this could be the start of something great. 
Ah, hmm, well, let's be fair about this. I AM the publisher of the paperback. To be fair I had to sack myself as Director of Marketing, Vice President of Internal Sales etc.  ::)

I did get an offer from some big publishing house before I published it myself but the tone of their offer sounded as though they were going to butcher it. I have dealt with quite a few editors in the past. Some have a light touch and some hack and slash. I am sure the presentation of the book would have been much better if done "professionally" but then it wouldn't have been quite so much mine.

Publication is an interesting process and not without its own skill sets. When I did the first printing the graphics were wrong in the detail. Word is a WYSIWYG program and the PDF'ing looked fine on the screen, but the graphics aliased with the high resolution printer at the publisher dropping some of the lines from the graphics. I had to go through 500 graphics and re-format them at a different resolution so the ripper at the printer would render the detail correctly. I can't imagine getting somebody to have done this for me; it would just have been a torrent of abuse!

In terms of sales I can account for 33, which includes 9 sold recently (3 of which are packed to go out Monday). As you can imagine, it is this sales figure which was the real killer.

When the company that I work for went into receivership and I went for a job interview the book was on the CV and of course the sales figure was brought up, to my embarrassment. Then this one particular guy, in asking what I had done, proceeded to take each item and tell me how he had done one twice that fast, or twice as big, or whatever. I must be getting feeble in my old age because he actually survived the interview process! Needless to say they never offered me a job and frankly I would rather have been unemployed than have to work with such a complete a-hole.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf