Author Topic: Fry's Electronics Going Out of Business?  (Read 17881 times)

Offline SimonR

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fry's Electronics Going Out of Business?
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2019, 12:16:56 pm »
Funny, I flew into the Phoenix, Arizona airport yesterday afternoon and got in early enough so that I could have stopped at the Fry's in Tempe before heading home (further south). I didn't really need anything so I skipped it. I wonder if that store is affected?

I was in Phoenix last week and visited a Frys for the first time ever. It was the one off the I17 and yes it was as empty as all of the others. It was such a sad thing to see, I would love to have seen it at its peak.

Amazingly it did however have the one thing I went in there for, although most of the shelves were just empty.
I also bought a Frys branded carrier bag as a souvenir, just prove in the future that it really existed.
I'm not sure one 99 cents carrier bag will keep it going

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2019, 02:02:16 pm »
I've had dinner with the Fry brothers and Kathy Kolder several times. John Fry is a really nice guy as are the other brothers, Randy and Dave. Kathy retired earlier this year and some key people have left the corporate office recently. John founded the American Institute of Mathematics  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Institute_of_Mathematics and owned the Sabercats arena football team, and bought the Flying Lady when it went bankrupt. Their store mascot, Charlie Chip, was named after their father, who helped them start the business.

Their business is private so nobody can really tell the financial health. I know they are restructuring their operations and plan to keep the business running for as long as they can, but nobody will really know what they plan to do until it happens. It will be sad if they close. You can get a 65" Samsung 4k TV for under $500 there at times.

Offline andy2000

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2019, 04:10:16 pm »
Fry's in Austin looks just as empty. As quirky as they are, I'll be sad to see them go because they're still much better than Best Buy.

About 6 months ago I was in Frys and almost fell over when I saw several packs of blank Sony Beta video cassettes on the shelf.  They were cheap, so I bought them for the novelty of buying new Beta tapes from a large B&M store in 2019!  As usual for Fry's, it wasn't a smooth experience.  They rang up for about 4x the price on the shelf tag.  Fortunately, I had taken a picture of the shelf tag (when was the last time you saw Beta tapes on a store shelf).  They did honor the price, but the process was needlessly complex.  I had to fill out a bid form, and then a manager had to accept my bid.

Most Fry's stores have a theme; maybe they're converting all stores to a new ghost town theme?

The following users thanked this post: schmitt trigger

Offline Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2019, 04:40:15 pm »
Fortunately, I had taken a picture of the shelf tag

Here's another anecdote from the old days... Way back before smartphones became the thing and everyone effectively carried a camera around with them all the time, Fry's had a strict "no photography" policy in their stores. Back then it was a little more obvious when someone was taking pictures in the store, and if security saw you taking photos (and there was a good chance they would because of all the surveillance cameras in the stores) they would demand you hand over the camera and they'd remove the film. I'm not sure why they did this--perhaps they thought their merchandise displays were so innovative (NOT!) competitors would try to copy them.

They're also well-known for their receipt checkers at the door who would go through your bags and compare it with the receipt. They used to be quite insistent about this practice until one overeager checker tried to physically restrain a customer who declined to have his property searched, which resulted in a lawsuit. After that, they would request to check your bags but would not insist if someone refused.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2019, 05:20:45 am »
That's bizarre, had I know about a policy like that I would have been far more inclined to sneak a covert camera in there and take a bunch of pictures just because. Can't imagine why they'd care about that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 10:17:23 pm »
Of course, they were one of the first stores to have a security guard at the door to look at your receipt. Always hated that.

I hated that too. I've always wanted to create a fake Fry's receipt and put things on it like a flux capacitor, plutonium, and heroin and show them that receipt receipt at the door.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 04:43:14 am »
I don't really get the point of the receipt checks. I don't really get why some people throw such a fit about it either. Mountains out of mole hills, I mean if it's such a hardship to play by the rules then shop elsewhere, the rest of us will just show the stupid receipt, it's no big deal.

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 02:57:18 pm »
I don't really get the point of the receipt checks. I don't really get why some people throw such a fit about it either. Mountains out of mole hills, I mean if it's such a hardship to play by the rules then shop elsewhere, the rest of us will just show the stupid receipt, it's no big deal.

I don't throw a fit about it, but I don't like it. The problem is that for the store, shoplifting is a problem, but statistically, very few customers shoplift. So they take action to reduce loss by essentially treating all their customers as potential shoplifters and asking them to prove that they're not. Do you really not understand why people might resent that?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 05:20:46 pm »
I don't really get why some people throw such a fit about it either. Mountains out of mole hills, I mean if it's such a hardship to play by the rules then shop elsewhere, the rest of us will just show the stupid receipt, it's no big deal.

I just don't like them searching my personal property, and object on principle. I just walk right past them and they don't say a word. They can request to check your receipt, but can't enforce it if you decline.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 05:22:58 pm »
Compare to Costco, where they are much more determined about receipt checks, but you hear very few complaints about it.

The situation at Costco is different than at Fry's. Costco is a membership organization and you agree to the receipt check when you sign up for membership. You can refuse the check at Costco, but I suppose they could then rescind your membership if you do.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:51 pm »
Compare to Costco, where they are much more determined about receipt checks, but you hear very few complaints about it.

The situation at Costco is different than at Fry's. Costco is a membership organization and you agree to the receipt check when you sign up for membership. You can refuse the check at Costco, but I suppose they could then rescind your membership if you do.

Costco states that they do it to make sure you got what you paid for.  And I can confirm that once they found something on the receipt that wasn't in my basket.  Which they then corrected.  I never got the impression at Fry's that the check was for my benefit.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2019, 09:03:53 pm »
They're also well-known for their receipt checkers at the door who would go through your bags and compare it with the receipt. They used to be quite insistent about this practice until one overeager checker tried to physically restrain a customer who declined to have his property searched, which resulted in a lawsuit. After that, they would request to check your bags but would not insist if someone refused.
Really? Over here I know of one store which does that (or did; haven't been there for over 10 years). Nowadays some grocery stores have self-checkout cash registers where they do occasional check. I do think they have a scale in the plateau where you put your groceries on. If I put something else on the plateau which screws the weight I get checked.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2019, 09:28:32 pm »
Nowadays some grocery stores have self-checkout cash registers where they do occasional check.

Interesting. We've had self-checkout at grocery stores here for twenty years and I've used them several times a week for that entire time and I've never been checked. Not once.

I do find them very convenient, especially when, ahem, my wife asks me to pick up some "female" products for her.

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2019, 03:49:58 am »

Interesting video on self checkout theft

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2019, 07:42:44 am »
I think the receipt checks at Fry's are mostly aimed at corrupt employees.

Anyway, there's something about the atmosphere at Fry's that encourages an adversarial attitude between shoppers and staff.

Fry's is the only store I know that has reserved Police parking space right in front of the store.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2019, 08:00:14 am »

Many businesses have found that increase in theft is more than offset by lower costs of self-checkout vs a hired cashier.

Guitar Center let go all of their receipt inspectors after analysis showed they lose more money paying for the extra employee than they lose to theft occurring due to lack of a receipt inspector.

On top of that, customer surveys always reveal they're more satisfied shopping at a location without receipt/bag inspectors. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2019, 03:18:58 pm »
Fry's is the only store I know that has reserved Police parking space right in front of the store.

That's a reflection of Fry's changing customer base. For its first decade or so Fry's was the domain of the nerd. Now it's the domain of Joe Sixpack and other similar denizens looking for cheap Chinese gadgets. The IQ level of their customers has probably decreased by 50 points over the years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2019, 03:29:10 pm »

Yes, very interesting.

Self checkouts used to be a common way for underage kids to buy booze. California closed that loophole recently and all booze purchases must now go through a live cashier. Some people have no qualms about gaming the system, even people who are otherwise perfectly law abiding. Example: one woman I know sees no problem with buying organic produce and then ringing it up as standard produce at the self checkout.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2019, 03:34:08 pm »
I don't throw a fit about it, but I don't like it. The problem is that for the store, shoplifting is a problem, but statistically, very few customers shoplift. So they take action to reduce loss by essentially treating all their customers as potential shoplifters and asking them to prove that they're not. Do you really not understand why people might resent that?

No I really don't understand. All customers *are* potential shoplifters, it's a huge and pervasive problem, why shouldn't they assume that I might be one too and check? I mean it's a simple receipt check, not a body cavity search or patdown and I would bet it is a significant deterrent. Like I said, mountains out of mole hills, it's borderline mental illness to get upset about it.

It's no different than having to show ID to buy certain things, to enter certain establishments, to rent a car or to take out a loan. Most people are who they say they are but enough are not that it's prudent to verify. It's not an accusation of wrongdoing or deception, it's just common sense to trust but verify because we all know that every human is a potential liar/thief/etc. Anyone in doubt of this, just leave your wallet unattended for 5 minutes in any public place and see if it's still where you left it when you return. I'd bet that more than 80% of the time it's either gone or any cash it contained has been liberated.

I will add that I do occasionally become annoyed by receipt checking at places like Costco but it's strictly because there will be a big queue of people trying to exit the store with their purchases while just one or two checkers are carefully inspecting the receipts while chatting with customers. At these times I think come on, get on with it, just glance over the cart for any big ticket items and call it good.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 03:38:06 pm by james_s »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 03:40:35 pm »
No I really don't understand. All customers *are* potential shoplifters, it's a huge and pervasive problem, why shouldn't they assume that I might be one too and check? I mean it's a simple receipt check, not a body cavity search or patdown and I would bet it is a significant deterrent. Like I said, mountains out of mole hills, it's borderline mental illness to get upset about it.

I don't like these checks so I vote with my wallet. I don't shop at places like Fry's, Best Buy, and Costco that have receipt checks. There are plenty of places that don't. Fry's is a laughing stock these days anyway, so the only time I go there is just to see how much further they've fallen. It's actually rather sad because I can remember when Fry's was a good place to buy techie stuff.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2019, 03:53:03 pm »
I don't like these checks so I vote with my wallet. I don't shop at places like Fry's, Best Buy, and Costco that have receipt checks. There are plenty of places that don't. Fry's is a laughing stock these days anyway, so the only time I go there is just to see how much further they've fallen. It's actually rather sad because I can remember when Fry's was a good place to buy techie stuff.

I appreciate it at least when people who insist on behaving like children shop elsewhere so that the adults can shop in peace without some self important prick holding things up by throwing a fit about something as simple and sensible as a receipt check in a business that sells lots of small and valuable items. Why anyone thinks they're special compared to everyone else I'll never know. Find a better way to weed out the dishonest people and the receipt checks will vanish. People steal stuff every day, it costs businesses many millions a year. Every single customer is a potential shoplifter, huge numbers of even generally honest people would take advantage of a mistake given the opportunity. I'd go so far as to suggest that a large majority of people who got home and discovered an item in their bag that they had not paid for would simply keep the item, if it was a particularly valuable item most would celebrate their windfall. What percentage do you suppose would return the item or offer to pay for it? 20%? Maybe?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2019, 04:30:10 pm »
I appreciate it at least when people who insist on behaving like children shop elsewhere so that the adults can shop in peace without some self important prick holding things up by throwing a fit about something as simple and sensible as a receipt check in a business that sells lots of small and valuable items. Why anyone thinks they're special compared to everyone else I'll never know.

:palm:

Every single customer is a potential shoplifter

How far are you willing to go with this? How about pat-downs? After all, it's easy to stick a small, high-value item in one's pocket, and this won't be caught by a bag check. Should Fry's set up metal detectors at the exit and make everyone empty their pockets?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »
No I really don't understand. All customers *are* potential shoplifters, it's a huge and pervasive problem, why shouldn't they assume that I might be one too and check? I mean it's a simple receipt check, not a body cavity search or patdown and I would bet it is a significant deterrent.
It is all about the economics: how much income is lost due to people going to a different store if a store has receipt checks versus how much income is lost due to shop lifting. This doesn't say nothing has to be done to prevent shoplifting. Most shops over here do random checks based on data that is collected. They look at things like previous behaviour of the person and the combination of products. It turns out that the type and combination of products bought can be used as a probability indicator a person stole something or not. The exact algorithms are a closely kept secret.

BTW: you shouldn't rule out the employees either. Probably most of the shoplifting is done by the employees. They have much better opportunities to steal stuff.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 05:17:11 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2019, 05:29:21 pm »
It is all about the economics: how much income is lost due to people going to a different store if a store has receipt checks versus how much income is lost due to shop lifting. This doesn't say nothing has to be done to prevent shoplifting. Most shops over here do random checks based on data that is collected. They look at things like previous behaviour of the person and the combination of products. It turns out that the type and combination of products bought can be used as a probability indicator a person stole something or not. The exact algorithms are a closely kept secret.

Stores have ways of identifying shoplifters without doing bag checks. I object to bag checks because they are a form of "guilty until proven innocent". Honest customers should never even be aware that anti-shoplifting measures are happening.

BTW: you shouldn't rule out the employees either. Probably most of the shoplifting is done by the employees. They have much better opportunities to steal stuff.

Bingo. It's well-known that most loss is due to employees, not customers.

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2019, 12:47:01 am »
Most shops over here do random checks based on data that is collected. They look at things like previous behaviour of the person and the combination of products. It turns out that the type and combination of products bought can be used as a probability indicator a person stole something or not. The exact algorithms are a closely kept secret.

So, not random after all.

If I look at the cameras at supermarkets they are in the highest density directly over checkouts. At least one per checkout. It would be so easy for staff to miss scanning an item for a friend or give the wrong (too much) change.

Although perversely I once got home still unsure I gave a $50 and only got change for a $20. So I rang the manager and gave him the date time on the receipt (another good reason to always take them). He rang me back the next day after reviewing the footage and said he could see I did tender a $50.

I hope they don't start recording people PINs. I cover the keypad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf