Author Topic: Fry's Electronics Going Out of Business?  (Read 17888 times)

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Fry's Electronics Going Out of Business?
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2019, 02:58:05 am »
I hope they don't start recording people PINs. I cover the keypad.

I think PIN entry keypads should all be the scrambling type:

« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:01:38 am by windsmurf »

Offline JimS

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2019, 08:08:21 am »
My first experience with Fry's, as I recall, was at the Sunnyvale store in the mid 90's.
I was like a kid in a candy shop.
Got a Tyan Pentium 90 motherboard with built in SCSI.
Was told by my boss (at the time) that they started as a small grocery store.
Which was why they still had some grocery items.

Any way, I have noticed that the store in Roseville, the shelves are kinda bare.
They did not have nearly the selection of computers, parts and other computer etc hardware.
Plenty of hard drives and networking gear though.
I felt that they were only stocking items that have the highest volume of sales.

So they look to be going the way of Radio Shack.
Looks like mail order did them in, just like the computer fairs in Sacramento.

On the other hand Fry's grocery chain, AFAIK, in Tucson is still a going concern.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:05 pm »

I think PIN entry keypads should all be the scrambling type:

But what about the people who use a pattern and don't remember the numbers? :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: windsmurf

Online Sal AmmoniacTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2019, 11:32:02 pm »
Was told by my boss (at the time) that they started as a small grocery store.
Which was why they still had some grocery items.
On the other hand Fry's grocery chain, AFAIK, in Tucson is still a going concern.

The grocery chain was started by the parents. The electronics chain was started by the kids. Otherwise, they are completely independent.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2019, 11:56:42 pm »
I believe the Fry's grocery operation is (or was) owned by Kroger.

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2019, 11:40:45 pm »

Offline mcovington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 04:53:45 am »
Looking back at my blog, I see that the Duluth, Georgia (NE Atlanta) Fry's opened in August 2004 and made a good impression on me, but already by December 2005 it was declining.  Here's what I wrote then:

"Yesterday Melody and I went to Fry's Electronics in Duluth, Georgia, and concluded that the store is no longer what it initially promised to be. Interesting and useful items are not being restocked (especially electronic components), and the prices on audio equipment were (in our limited experience) not as good as Best Buy and Circuit City. Despite its size, that enormous store is no longer a reliable source of anything hard to find. We went over to Micro Center and found some audio cables that Fry's didn't even know where to look for, as well as lots of employees who could answer questions instead of just replying, 'What is that?'"

Amazingly, it is still there, although it has been inching closer to death ever since.  I will get a look at it this Saturday.  It seems to have been on the verge of going out of business for years.  Lack of restocking is the main thing. 

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2019, 07:41:55 am »
The early story is quite interesting...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry%27s_Electronics
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2019, 02:40:45 pm »
Many of you won't know this but Frys offered broadband and dialup services. They had the ISP hosted on their frys.com website long before they used that domain for their online retail storefront. I watched in amazement as they let the online revolution roll right over them, and then how they totally mismanaged the outpost.com website for their online retail. I couldn't believe what was going on. Finally they migrated their online retail to the frys domain and retired outpost, but they already missed the market.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2019, 09:17:03 pm »
I live in the east-bay and the nearest one at Concord has shelves almost completely empty. Like Bill158 mentioned earlier in this thread, they do re-pack the returns and sometimes they indicate it is a return. Most of the time they do not. I knew this and I never buy anything of importance there and stick only to components that are in original packaging. They did have a huge inventory of NTE parts which was very convenient. I always wondered if those TVs and PCs they sell were rejects from other places!

Since Radio shack is also gone, I will have to order stuff on eBay when it comes to parts now. Ordering from Digikey or Mouser will cost another $7-10 for shipping. Unless it is a large order, it is not worth. Amazing how the times have changed!

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 09:37:22 pm »
They must be in dire straits, they solid their 747SP a few years back (it went to NASA)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 10:15:03 pm »
Had a free day in SoCal this week and took in the City of Industry store.  I have always loved the decor there - emulating a turn of the twentieth century industrial plant.  But the whole experience reminded me of Sears just before they announced their final bankruptcy and closure.  Lots of empty shelves, and many of the shelves that weren't empty were covered with filler.  At Sears the filler was filters for their shop vacuums.  Literally hundreds of filters on shelves all over.  At this Fry's it was travelers adapter kits, mains plugs to fit most styles.  Everywhere.

There was one Rigol 1054Z, if someone wants to pay full list plus CA and City of Industry sales taxes.  Other similar "bargains".

The aisles and parking lots were empty and two cashiers handled all the business without being busy.

I would guess that there is less than a year left.  Maybe much less.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2019, 01:00:48 am »
Another thing is that none of the items are on sale. I spoke to one of the people there and she says "... no, we are still getting stocks daily." Right. Why are the shelves empty then?

Online oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2019, 02:40:58 am »
I watched in amazement as they let the online revolution roll right over them, and then how they totally mismanaged the outpost.com website for their online retail. I couldn't believe what was going on. Finally they migrated their online retail to the frys domain and retired outpost, but they already missed the market.

I didn't know Outpost was run by Fry's. They had a few memorable ads.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2019, 02:52:53 am »
Yea, I remember when the online site switched from outpost.com. I was always confused when I'd try to use it... For about 2 years.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2019, 03:36:31 pm »
Fry's could have become what Amazon is today if only their management jumped on the eCommerce bandwagon in the early days and did it right. Instead, they totally botched it and now their huge retail stores sit with empty shelves and few customers. I think they'll be out of business by the end of the year.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2019, 03:48:53 pm »
Fry's could have become what Amazon is today if only their management jumped on the eCommerce bandwagon in the early days and did it right. Instead, they totally botched it and now their huge retail stores sit with empty shelves and few customers. I think they'll be out of business by the end of the year.
The problem with the big retail stores is that they aren't setup logistically to do online business. For example: the last time I ordered something online from Ikea it took them two weeks to deliver. Not because the item wasn't available but because they don't think about online retail.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2019, 04:48:30 pm »
i was there couple of weeks ago since i needed a docsis modem. They had none. all the selves with networking stuff were empty. i asked an employee if he could check if there was stock. Zip, none, not a single one in all their stores.
The employee suggested i tried their sister stores.

Baffled, (i've lived here for 15 years and never knew fry's had sister stores) i asked which sister stores?

The employee wryly answered : bestbuy and amazon.

The mercury news had an article stating they are negotiating new supplier deals where they want to go to a consignment model. Suppliers are only paid for when goods leave the stores, not when they are on the shelves. I don't think that's gonna fly ...

Central computers has better pricing and better quality and better technical support / knowhow than fry's.
I don't mind the 2 $ difference on a 10$ network cable but not knowing the difference between CAT5 , CAT6 straight and crossover , that cans it for me. All the fry's guys work on commission and don't know the difference between an RJ45 and a cow. They only know how to make you a 'quote' ,which they then print so you can hand it to the cashier and they get their little commission. The real go-getters would make you a quote for a 2$ item. Now they can't even be bothered.
Electronic parts : Anchor electronics on walsh and excess solutions / halted on 7th. Yes, Halted lives on. They got absorbed by excess solutions and lots of their stuff is in that warehouse now.

Gone are the days where every friday Fry's would have an 8 page insert in the newspaper with their specials.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2019, 05:01:00 pm »
Cant their stores technically be converted to warehouses in parnership with say Amazon, to get stuff close to the consumers and expedite delivery?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2019, 05:19:30 pm »
I used to give lots of business to Central computers; but after they screwed my company over on a supermicro motherboard (that was less than 1 month old, refused to POST and they refused to board-swap us; it took over 2 months down-time.  not even sure how long it took, as I gave up waiting after 2 months time)

that said, microcenter is long gone from the bay area and if you need computer parts that-day, central is one of the few still left.

really miss Halted; will have to see if the new location is at all like the old one. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2019, 08:41:50 pm »
really miss Halted; will have to see if the new location is at all like the old one. 

Not really. Yes, they have a lot of the stuff from the old Halted location, but the whole feel of the place is different. Another one bites the dust...

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2019, 10:31:51 pm »

Not really. Yes, they have a lot of the stuff from the old Halted location, but the whole feel of the place is different. Another one bites the dust...
true, they have less of the 'old crap' that halted was famous for. like solid carbon resistors , stinkbug caps and other vacuum-tube era stuff.
They do have a better selection of 'modern' parts.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2020, 09:07:47 am »

Originally a live stream so not the greatest video quality.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:11:06 am by Homer J Simpson »

Offline dbctronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2020, 03:32:53 am »
I visited the Fry's that had just opened up out west of O'Hare Airport, near Chicago, back in 2002 when the last of the regular hobbyist level parts stores (Alpha) closed shop. As many have said on this thread, I felt like I was in an abandoned warehouse, no employees in sight.

It was a long drive to discover that the hobby parts department had been stocked with inventory chosen by monkeys. Astonishing lack of standard jellybean parts - no 2N3055 or equivalent but plenty of oddball transistors I'd never heard of. One soldering iron... no solder!!! Etc, etc. Very weird selection. Went home with almost nothing I went for, and I was just trying to build a power supply!!! Whoosh.

Not at all surprised they are on the skids these days.

Offline bobcat2000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2020, 03:54:09 pm »
I remembered I skipped work to wait in long line in Fry's to buy a 386 PC.
I went to 5 different Fry's just to check out their themes.

Said to see Fry's goes under.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf