Author Topic: Funny Company Names....  (Read 105737 times)

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
Re: Funny Company Names....
« Reply #250 on: January 08, 2018, 11:08:46 am »
Found a hilarious one in a Youtube video about Japan:

Starvations, a children's clothing store.

That entire channel is great, it's about living in Japan, not just shitty translations.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: January 08, 2018, 07:15:40 pm »
My wife knows a woman whose first name from birth is Lovely.  She married a gentleman with the last name of Butts.  'nuff said.  You can't make this stuff up.

Well it was once said in a group of friends that I could never marry one of the girls as it would make her a "Paige Turner" not that I was at all interested in here anyway so we are safe there ;)

She is a patient where my wife works.  My wife says she has a very good sense of humor over her name.  There are a few patients with odd names that she has told me over the years but Lovely is the only one that I can remember.  The funny thing here is that part of my wife's family don't use their first names.  My wife, her 2 daughters and my wife's brother all go by their middle names.  It is a standing joke that everyone is in the witness protection program.

Are you married to my best friend's sister? I'll never forget when I first met him, back in 7th grade, and the first time I went to his house. When we met, he introduced himself as John. I go to his house, his mom and sisters are all calling him Greg. Turns out his Dad is also John, but they have different middle names, so they used middle names to be sure they were talking to the right person. And one of his sister also went by her middle name at home, because her first name was the same as her Mom's.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #253 on: January 08, 2018, 07:32:04 pm »
I once had a dot matrix printer made by ODC: the "One Day Corporation"
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #254 on: January 08, 2018, 09:49:16 pm »
A company that sold lemon 'cider' , 'Two Dogs'.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: January 09, 2018, 12:01:36 am »
surnames in the UK can be interesting, met a guy called Prat and a young lady and her father that went by the name of Caunt.

Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #256 on: January 09, 2018, 12:17:26 am »
Not a company but institute. I have a one device laying around made by them. http://www.vsegei.ru Russian speakers may have a good laugh. If translated, it's called "Allgays".
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 12:21:53 am by wraper »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: January 09, 2018, 08:33:56 am »
Are you married to my best friend's sister? I'll never forget when I first met him, back in 7th grade, and the first time I went to his house. When we met, he introduced himself as John. I go to his house, his mom and sisters are all calling him Greg. Turns out his Dad is also John, but they have different middle names, so they used middle names to be sure they were talking to the right person. And one of his sister also went by her middle name at home, because her first name was the same as her Mom's.

That's quite common in some countries. Americans tend to go for "Junior" if the father/son names are the same, but other countries choose the middle name. I have the same name as my father, but not even my best friends know that, they've always known me by my middle name instead. The only time it gets noticed is when I travel or book flights, because my passport (and flight ticket) have to have my real name.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #258 on: January 09, 2018, 10:17:33 am »
The first time I saw the sign for this place I laughed for a while..
https://www.yellowpages.com.au/nsw/ashfield/unlimited-head-jobs-13074513-listing.html

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #259 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:02 am »
There is a street called Boulevard in Richmond VA. Can't imagine how they named it. It sounds weird as you won't name a road "Road Rd".

Boulevard doesn't mean road. It's a type of road. A boulevard is a wide often tree lined road which is the main route through a city.

McBryce.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #260 on: January 12, 2018, 01:41:24 pm »
 Yeah but Boulevard Street is just silly. And there seems to also be one in Shreveport Louisiana as well as Atlanta Georgia.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2018, 01:47:21 pm »
Yeah but Boulevard Street is just silly. And there seems to also be one in Shreveport Louisiana as well as Atlanta Georgia.

I didn't say it not a stupid name for a road, just that it doesn't mean road :)

McBryce.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2018, 01:59:51 pm »

That's quite common in some countries. Americans tend to go for "Junior" if the father/son names are the same, but other countries choose the middle name. I have the same name as my father, but not even my best friends know that, they've always known me by my middle name instead. The only time it gets noticed is when I travel or book flights, because my passport (and flight ticket) have to have my real name.

McBryce.

It's technically not Junior/Senior/whatever unless the father and son have the same first AND middle names. Or for a "the Second" or "The Third" for skipped generations, unless the full names match. Never looked in to if that was a legal thing or just common convention.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:44 pm »
Shiny Box Microphhones

Offline steve30

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stephen Coates' Homepage
« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2018, 11:00:35 am »
Not electronics related, but there's a business around here who's vans I see from time to time called 'Total Meat Supplies'. Their slogan is 'We'll Meat Your Needs'  :D.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2018, 12:18:52 pm »
Shiny Box Microphones
Can't fine any web reference but reminds me of some pcb I saw in 1989 that was made by Shiny Space Ohm.

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2018, 04:20:39 pm »
So what if a female professor says "I like to eat semen" in class? That's my numerical method professor, she meant "salmon".
maybe she mean:
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline andrescastro

« Reply #267 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47:47 am »
Not sure, but try in www.hornibrooks.com.au , bunnings, or gumtree.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #268 on: May 03, 2018, 11:07:02 am »
So what if a female professor says "I like to eat semen" in class? That's my numerical method professor, she meant "salmon".

I remember an anecdote on a university:

One professor said that semen was full of sugar.
Then one woman, attendant, said: then, why it tastes salty?
Just after this she realized and blushed. While she was getting off class embarrased professor said: that's because swweet papilas are in front of tongue and salty ones are in the back....

Offline Lord of nothing

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: May 03, 2018, 12:00:18 pm »

:wtf:...
Made in Japan, destroyed in Sulz im Wienerwald.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #270 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:44 pm »

Just after this she realized and blushed. While she was getting off class embarrased professor said: that's because swweet papilas are in front of tongue and salty ones are in the back....

That whole "taste zones on the tongue" theory has been discredited since hasn't it?

McBryce

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2018, 12:48:09 pm »

That whole "taste zones on the tongue" theory has been discredited since hasn't it?

McBryce

IDK, I'm informatic, not biologist...  :P

Offline meeko

• Contributor
« Reply #272 on: May 03, 2018, 01:32:08 pm »
Fluke Transportation Group.  Their slogan is, "If it's on-time... it's a Fluke!"

fluke
flo͞ok/
noun
unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.

Yeah...

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #273 on: May 03, 2018, 09:11:33 pm »
Today we got to know that the notorious Cambridge Analytica of the recent Facebook controversy has shutdown...
only to reborn again with a new name: Emerdata.

That tells at least one thing: in their marketing/branding team they don't have any French or Italian staff, or somebody would have cautioned them against using a company name that sounds like Itsshitty  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: May 03, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »
Today we got to know that the notorious Cambridge Analytica of the recent Facebook controversy has shutdown...
only to reborn again with a new name: Emerdata.

That tells at least one thing: in their marketing/branding team they don't have any French or Italian staff, or somebody would have cautioned them against using a company name that sounds like Itsshitty  :-DD

And lends itself naturally to calling them EnemaData...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf