Author Topic: Future of educational youtube channel  (Read 7731 times)

Offline hussamaldeanTopic starter

• Supporter
Future of educational youtube channel
« on: December 20, 2018, 04:44:07 am »
Hi all,
I am currently seeing that the educational youtube channels are getting less popular these days compared to comedy, music channel. this let me wonder are those channel one day will be for ever gone such as Electroboom, greatscott and bunch other channel
give us your opinion and a way to save these channel other than donations

regards

The following users thanked this post: boB

Offline RobertHolcombe

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Future of educational youtube channel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 05:57:16 am »
Are they actually any less popular, or is "entertainment" content just more plentiful?

Somewhat related, I'd class 50% or more of the channels I watch on youtube as a mix of both education and entertainment - they don't need to be mutually exclusive.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 02:18:05 pm »
YouTube has been busy banning anything which could be even remotely dangerous or politically incorrect so it does not surprise me that the quality of otherwise educational channels has decreased.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 02:22:24 pm »
In some circles there is a depressing hostility to self-education.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 02:23:54 pm »
Hi all,
I am currently seeing that the educational youtube channels are getting less popular these days compared to comedy, music channel. this let me wonder are those channel one day will be for ever gone such as Electroboom, greatscott and bunch other channel
give us your opinion and a way to save these channel other than donations

regards
Why do you want another way to save these channels than donations? That is the way to save them. Even if Youtube cuts the revenue completely, they still survive.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 03:35:31 pm »
Why do you want another way to save these channels than donations? That is the way to save them. Even if Youtube cuts the revenue completely, they still survive.

Patreon has also starting banning donations to anything which could be even remotely dangerous or politically incorrect.  When an replacement for Patreon was created, Paypal and the credit card companies stopped it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 03:48:37 pm »
Patreon has also starting banning donations to anything which could be even remotely dangerous or politically incorrect.  When an replacement for Patreon was created, Paypal and the credit card companies stopped it.
I missed this. Do you have links or sources? I'm striking out.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 04:04:09 pm »

It picked up before the Sargon of Akkad incident with Patreon.  More than one alternate to Patreon (Subscribestar was one) was started which was then quashed by Paypal and the credit card companies.  We have been discussing the situation in IRC and private forums so I do not have any good links to what ultimately happened.  There is a concerted effort now to build an alternate to Patreon and perhaps YouTube but I see no way to get past the banks and credit card companies.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 04:08:45 pm »
I used to put videos about satellite reception, professional field meter, etc. on Youtube. I must have around 10 (!) subscribers and a few tens of thousands views.

About a year ago I discovered a "fireplace" channel on Youtube: they show different fireplaces in 2-8h long videos. Like only the fireplace.

They have tens of MILLIONS views!

I lost interest in publishing videos.

It is what it is. People want videos with 10h of fire, rain, birds... :)

Regards,
Vitor

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 04:20:44 pm »
I used to put videos about satellite reception, professional field meter, etc. on Youtube. I must have around 10 (!) subscribers and a few tens of thousands views.

About a year ago I discovered a "fireplace" channel on Youtube: they show different fireplaces in 2-8h long videos. Like only the fireplace.

They have tens of MILLIONS views!

I lost interest in publishing videos.

It is what it is. People want videos with 10h of fire, rain, birds... :)

Regards,
Vitor
There's nothing wrong with making targeted content for a select group. That's one of the beautiful things about the internet. Even the most obscure things have a place. Obviously a channel about satellite gear isn't going to interest the same audience some easy to digest content or entertainment. Some channels service the lowest common denominator, but you tend to sacrifice a lot in terms of actually being interesting.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:35 pm »
Bicurio,

There is nothing wrong with a ten hour video of logs burning. Thats a great thing about cheap storage and net bandwidth - cheesy stuff like that is now possible.

People shouldn't worry about other peoples stuff, just please yourself and do what you want to do the best you can, just please your self. Chances are you know more about the things that interest you - satellite reception, etc (something I wish I knew more about!) than others, they will learn the most if you just do it the way you know it needs to be done.

Online Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 12:21:04 pm »
Oh, I am not sour or sad. I just gave up on the hope of monetizing my videos.
If you want to be a successfull Youtuber and make money out of it, you need to provide content for the masses.
This doesn't mean I won't keep doing my videos, but obviously  it is harder to get funds for the equipment - the funds come right now from my own budget, that is shared with our family's living costs and my wife and daughter want to buy their stuff, too.

I have much respect for people like Dave or for instance the 8Bit Guy (just to name two I follow): living from this on non-mainstream subjects is really difficult.

Regards,
Vitor

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 02:08:26 pm »
It picked up before the Sargon of Akkad incident with Patreon.  More than one alternate to Patreon (Subscribestar was one) was started which was then quashed by Paypal and the credit card companies.  We have been discussing the situation in IRC and private forums so I do not have any good links to what ultimately happened.  There is a concerted effort now to build an alternate to Patreon and perhaps YouTube but I see no way to get past the banks and credit card companies.
There's cryptocurrency, at least in countries where its use is not too restricted by law.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 09:26:59 pm »

like what?

i heard there are starting to develop chemistry communities (like reddit) that frown on experimentation for some reason. not sure why its seen as unprofessional, weird culture. kinda brainwashy

granted eevblog has its fare share of mass production oriented bullshit too. i noticed some people really need to defend themselves from being told to use services that may or may not offer marginal quality increases or time savings. i think its bleed through from big business mentality
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:31:51 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2018, 10:26:56 pm »
There's cryptocurrency, at least in countries where its use is not too restricted by law.

There is until the cryptocurrency needs to be converted and PayPal, the bank, or card blocks it.

Shad just posted a video about what happened which I was not expecting.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 01:56:29 pm »
Well, like in the US many wealthy people don't want to see more "STEM" graduates, they are quite satisfied with the numbers we have and they don't want more young people developing skills that, in their opinion will just give them 'unrealistic expectations' of being able to use those skills to find employment in the future.

They also don't like the creation of new knowledge which might make a case that prevents technology developed by the commercial world from being patentable and maximally exploitable for money. To them every new idea or invention must be patented and exploited by somebody and when its instead given to the public domain that makes them angry. For the same reasons they hate open source software. There is a big debate discussion, going on about this but its totally out of our view, deliberately so, in various think tanks.

Basically, there is a war going on between -

Read up on the Inclosure Acts in the UK centuries ago, and what they did. Like that.

like what?

When you are on top all positive change is seen as a potential threat unless you control it fully. They want to 'future-proof' the future - (thats where the trade deals like GATS and TiSA and privatizing education come in.) - BUT -

'Future proofing' the un-knowable future is impossible.

The real future is totally unpredictable.

Also, its really stupid to try to exclude all but a privileged group from having access to learning or instantiation (permission to speak, to exist) meaning not just from degrees - also entry to a world of work protected by costly screens. Which is whats happening. In all professions. Its happening because jobs are becoming scarcer so the elite and economics 101 say that wages should be in free fall the more jobs are done by machines.

What this meant before is that only the very best will be able to find work - but its being changed into a situation where the very best of the best plus only those who can pay to get their feet in the door by doing work for almost free will find entry into the world of professional work. Plus the bread and butter, meat and potatoes core of the jobs in technology, especially IT, healthcare and teaching, are being turned into precarious low wage labor transacted by 'body shop' firms across intntnl. borders. Which only recently in the US is supposed to comply with US minimum wage laws (before it didn't) Even that may be challenged. (see the WTO document mentioned below)

By fiat, because of a push to use 'services' (80% of a modern economy) to 'pay back' the most unequal countries for participation in trade deals. This has been framed as the repayment of a debt to them. The plan dates back to the late 80s, and began officially after 1995 but because of endless 'rounds' of negotiations including Uruguay, Doha, etc. plus now a newer 'plurilateral' agreement outside of the WTO which is intended to be merged with it at a later date, driven by a group called "Friends of Services" (negs started in 2006) or ('Really Good Friends of Services" (2013)  by the US, EU and Australia, the process is only just beginning. When it gets going itis supposed to save trillions of dollars that it is claimed would be wasted on 'too overhigh wages'. (Its main goal is to push wages in developed world down to more approximate wages in the developing world to free up more profits, even if that requires eliminating all laws that stand in the way and putting the WTO in charge of intra-corporate work travel for periods of up to many years, perhaps decades, as long as the flows are defined as temporary.)

In order to do that a very wide scope has been defined as covered by these agreements.

Lots and lots and lots of good jobs are being put up for bidding to become subcontracts, and bid on internationally. Services are supposed to be 'liberalised' which begins with jobs involving tax money that are currently done by civil servants and domestic NGOs, instead they must be fed into a global e-tendering system - put up for bidding with the implicit recognition that the developed countries wont be able to cut wages low enough to get the contracts, so basically they are, with additional help from the LDC Services Waiver, supposed to be farmed, if it is possible farmed out to Least Developed Countries, (LDCs) wealthiest firms, which are being set up by insiders to do this.

Because they feel that having to pay national minimum wages would impede their principal advantage, being able to pay workers almost nothing, a fairly large group of unequal nations have stated upfront that they don't want 'wage parity' or economic need tests to apply..

See WTO document "TN/S/W/14"

I don't know if you have traveled much but the educated in poor countries are basically just the wealthy. Poor people - at least in most poor countries, are almost never able to attend college, certainly not to get to the MS level which is where these visas generally kick in. So with some exceptions, channeling jobs to body shop firms, which employ degreed people in poor countries (they must have been employed for a year and have special skills of some kind) more often than not, has the effect of helping the children of the wealthiest people in the developing world, quite specifically, and displacing others who currently do the work by supplying workers who are working for in many cases a tiny fraction of what somebody would typically be paid for a job. Sories abound in the US of firms that advertise their ability to work for almost nothing, replacing entire teams of high skill workers. Smart companies with unique products don't do this but many third and fourth tier companies do.

This end run around what used to be the law, is similar to slavery and indentured servitude in the Middle Eastern countries in that it creates a powerful corrupting influence on everybody who comes into contact with it, they are all trying to figure out how to make lots of money off this pool of desperate young people.

They are good workers, and deserve a decent wage. Most are just normal people who are trying to get decent jobs like everybody else, with the difference being that their parents, from countries where bribery is common, are willing to pay to get them the years of experience that employers want to see in new hires.

In the US at least, there is still a path to immigration and citizenship through the channels we know of and despite the media carnival, most Americans do generally approve of immigration in skill areas we need, and to reunite families, and for 'the best and the brghtest' in tech and the arts and also political refugees fleeing oppression.

However, what is happening is powerful forces want to capture transnational money flows and turn non-immigrant work travel into a dominant piece of work in certain sectors in order to prop up authoritarian regimes.

Also the developing countries - critical of a 'brain drain' have gotten the ear of the developed world and they want to replace the kind of worker, who is fleeing corruption (them) and replace them with wealthier people whose families have gotten rich off of corruption.

Immigrant workers intend to become part of their new home country for good, while disempowered "Mode Four" workers are in a very restrictive emplyment situation where they can not negotiate wage increases (if fired they have to immediately leave the host country and are often sued upon their return home)

They cannot exit this exploitative system so easily. This aspect of WTO managed "supply chain" is called "Mode Four" (after the "Four Modes of Supply which were first defined in the 1990s WTO services agreement, which is intended to permanently change the world's service sectors.) and are the subject of "Movement of Natural Persons" annexes in services trade agreements.

Basically trade agreements are being substituted for national laws regulating work permissions (not permanent immigration, as Mode Four is involving work for hire only and is officially classified as 'non-immigration'.)

Temporary, for example in the US, typically only for six years per visa.

Currently one popular kind of visa under this kind of agreement is limited to 65,000 per year giving a total of around 260,000 workers at any one time. But there are others.

The powerful advocates of this scheme want to get rid of these numerical quotas completely and 'let the market decide' how successful these firms become. They also want to 'progressive liberalization' widen the scope to include more and more low skill jobs, saving even more money, until every public jobs with the exception of the government and national security is either done by a civil servant of a domestic firm exempted for national security reasons. Other work will go to the lowest bidding firms, whomever they are. As time passes, wages are expected to fall bringing developed country wages more in line with those in the developing world. A 'race to the bottom'. These 'efficiency gains' even though they are defined as large job losses - because they increase profits (but, who will buy the products?) are defined as one of the main 'benefits' to owners of businesses of these services agreement.

So where will the displaced workers go? There has been a fair amount of criticism of these proposals but as only a certain segment of government and academia are even aware that these negotiations have been going on and these agreements signed or pending, the general public remains almost totally unaware of these changes which are intended to become so costly to reverse or defy that they are for all practical purposes irreversible. They will have the effect of discouraging young people from entering tech fields because they wont be able to get work, and if they do manage to, they wont pay well. In addition to requiring a substantial body of skills.

Without the job motivator to go to college, few will be able to afford to do it only for the experience and big picture, families will be in crisis and many will be losing homes. Many may attempt to emigrate to countries less involved in this system, as happened in the past. There they may become marginalized and deprived of the ability to put down roots. The growing numbers of dispossessed may eventually be pushed out to the margins of society, gathering in the nether lands, perhaps areas partially flooded by sea level rise, and/or toxic chemicals - where such places exist.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 01:53:18 pm by cdev »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 02:14:38 pm »
There is until the cryptocurrency needs to be converted and PayPal, the bank, or card blocks it.

Shad just posted a video about what happened which I was not expecting.

I don't really see how that has to do with banks blocking alternatives being set up.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 07:15:56 pm »
I don't really see how that has to do with banks blocking alternatives being set up.

That is what happened to Scribestar which he mentioned.  I suspect similar pressure was put on Patreon.  It is now an old story in the US with New York governor Cuomo continuing it which is why the ACLU got involved in the current NRA lawsuit.

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2018, 04:10:49 am »
i heard there are starting to develop chemistry communities (like reddit) that frown on experimentation for some reason. not sure why its seen as unprofessional, weird culture. kinda brainwashy

It's certainly not restricted to chemistry, all of the sciences have their collections of theoreticians for whom experimentally testing things is almost an insult, sometimes they're in power.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2018, 04:39:50 am »
Matt Christiansen just posted a transcript of his discussion with Patreon.  Make up your own mind about what is happening:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U0mQjUA0T5INc_GDkwPJ2mfhO7tbaIogisSqqxHw0hc/preview

About half of the science and engineering channels that I regularly watch on YouTube report videos being demonetized or taken down for obscured or nonobjective reasons.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2018, 04:59:59 am »
There is what amounts to a global preemptive strike by a corporate lobby on non-corporate (and public) learning.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:19:09 am by cdev »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2018, 05:09:01 am »
Nearly every college in the U.S. is currently giving students enrolled in "STEM" related degree or certificate programs a $1000 Grant. Its not a loan, and if you don't finish your program, you do not have to pay it back. It is a per semester "Grant," an incentive to pursue those career fields.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2018, 05:14:23 am »
That is what happened to Scribestar which he mentioned.  I suspect similar pressure was put on Patreon.  It is now an old story in the US with New York governor Cuomo continuing it which is why the ACLU got involved in the current NRA lawsuit.
Sorry, there's nothing in there remotely connected to Patreon alternatives being surpressed.

There are few people on these forums who tend to post all kinds of unrelated links in an attempt to substantiate their typically fairly rambling stories, but so far I hadn't taken you to be one. Please don't be one.

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2018, 05:21:45 am »
So if YouTube is killing channels, how can we all come together to make something that we have control of and ensure that the content we all enjoy and learn from is consistently available?  Can we incentivize those running Bit Coin (and other cryto's) to host our medium instead? They already have the gear, all we need is organization and a sense of community. If we all concede there is a problem, lets go about finding a solution. Some of the brightest minds in the world gather on this forum, its just a matter of working out the details.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 05:24:16 am by Inverted18650 »

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2018, 05:51:06 am »
Matt Christiansen just posted a transcript of his discussion with Patreon.  Make up your own mind about what is happening:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1U0mQjUA0T5INc_GDkwPJ2mfhO7tbaIogisSqqxHw0hc/preview

About half of the science and engineering channels that I regularly watch on YouTube report videos being demonetized or taken down for obscured or nonobjective reasons.

WOW! Read all 13 pages and the message seems pretty clear. They are not simply a banking intermediary, they want and choose to get involved with politics, based on their shareholders requests, on a case-by-case basis. In short, if you piss off a "powerful" shareholder, bye-bye.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf