Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 100382 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1475 on: September 16, 2019, 10:19:45 pm »
I applied. I am interested to see if I'm accepted, bearing in mind it appears to be at least partially funded from the public purse as far as I can tell.

(One of the infamous Sokal squared authors is also attending).

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1476 on: September 17, 2019, 12:15:33 am »
I applied. I am interested to see if I'm accepted, bearing in mind it appears to be at least partially funded from the public purse as far as I can tell.

(Attachment Link)
What a shame. You left it too late to submit a paper.  :)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1477 on: September 17, 2019, 03:45:22 am »

(Attachment Link)

:wtf:
https://biopoliticalphilosophy.com/2019/07/19/cfp-decolonise-stem-resisting-unlearning-and-imagining-university-college-london-oct-5-2019-deadline-aug-17-2019/

CFP: Decolonise STEM: Resisting, Unlearning and Imagining, University College London, Oct. 5, 2019 (deadline: Aug. 17, 2019)
JULY 19, 2019 BY SHELLEYTREMAIN
Keynote Speakers: Dr Arianne Shahvisi and Dr Christine (Xine) Yao

We are pleased to announce the symposium – Decolonise STEM: Resisting, Unlearning and Imagining – taking place on Saturday October 5th 2019 at University College London, supported in part by the Department of Science and Technology Studies and the Wellcome Trust. We are welcoming applications for panellists to take part in what we hope will be an important and empowering day. Please continue reading for details about the organising collective, the aims of the symposium and panels, as well as how to apply. Alternatively, you can follow the link here to read a longer version of this on our website: https://decolonisestem.home.blog/call-for-panellists/. Please do feel free to circulate this call to anyone/any groups that you think might be interested in applying to the symposium.

The collective

The creation of a collective to decolonise STEM (the material and theoretical outputs of what is broadly conceived as science, technology, engineering and mathematics, as well as the institutions that support them) is born with a sense of urgency and recognition that we must act if we are to survive the pervasive politics of the moment. This collective recognises how these politics – of empire and white supremacy – are deeply embedded and upheld by our hegemonic understanding of science, institutional practice, and emerging technologies. The intellectual and political wellspring of science and technology studies (STS), which provides some tools to unpack the relationship of science, technology and politics, is activism. It is our belief that this ethos has to be reclaimed and enacted in concrete, shared decolonising practice.

The symposium

The symposium is first and foremost an act of activism, and of academic humility. We hope to provide a space to interrogate accepted ‘truths’ about STEM and to make room for and learn from overlooked lived experiences, which may highlight how colonial power is embedded in, emboldened and reproduced by STEM and help to empower or create new and alternative knowledges/spaces and practices to move beyond the dominant system. We hope this symposium forms the roots to  support an ongoing and much bigger, longer-term movement to decolonise STEM. For more details, please visit our website: https://decolonisestem.home.blog/

Call for panellists

We are accepting applications (of no more than 300 words) to take part in one of the two panels below. Panellists will be asked to give 5 to 10-minute responses to the topic of the panel, which will then open up into a chaired discussion.

Panel 1:Experiences in STEM: Strategies of Survival

This panel will centre on the lived experiences – past and present – of those working within or engaging with STEM institutions, exploring strategies of survival within the coloniality of STEM. Panellists may wish to draw upon and to share personal narratives of navigation, resistance and survival within STEM.Panellists may want to consider basing their responses on any of these deliberately open-ended topics:

Thoughts, feelings and lived experiences within STEM: e.g. Laboratory life, academic departments, exclusion from these spaces etc.
Navigating institutions: How do they operate? What opportunities and challenges do they present? Can we change them? (Or do we need something different?)
Encounters, struggles and/or successes: How can we resist? Are there stories of resistance? (Is leaving/staying an option?)
Personal choices and collective struggles (What are allies? Do they (really) exist?)
Panel 2: Decolonising STEM

This panel will provide the opportunity for academics to present responses to the topic of decolonising STEM. Whilst we don’t wish to narrow the scope of possible discussion in advance, potential topics for consideration might include but are not limited to:

How is the history of STEM colonial?
What does it mean to ‘decolonise’? Can we decolonise STEM?
What does the coloniality of STEM look like in contemporary contexts?
How is colonial power maintained through STEM?
How does this sustain or materialise systems of oppression based on race, gender, nationality, indigeneity, disability, sexuality?
Submissions

We are looking for imaginative and open responses – not formal abstracts! – and are interested in hearing what applicants can contribute to each panel. We therefore welcome applications from a range of backgrounds, and in particular, we encourage submissions from early career researchers/academics (affiliated and unaffiliated), activists, from inside and outside of STEM and related fields, who are currently engaging in the ‘decolonising’ work.

To submit your proposal for one of the panels, please click on the following link:https://bit.ly/2LXsJFq. All submissions are due by midnight on 17th August 2019. Feel free to get in touch with us at: decolonisestem@gmail.com with any queries, questions or concerns.

A decision on all proposals will be made by 1st September 2019. Authors of accepted proposals will also be eligible for funding to cover travel expenses.

See more on our website: www.decolonisestem.home.blog

Follow the conference on Twitter for updates: https://twitter.com/DecoloniseSTEM

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1478 on: September 17, 2019, 03:51:22 am »
I'm doubting that "I'd to attend to film it so I can put on Youtube for the LOL's" would cut the mustard as an explanation...

f you’d like to participate to our symposium, now is the time to apply. We have decided to move away from the traditional first-come first-served basis, which can have the effect of excluding certain groups. Instead, we invite those who wish to participate to explain why they are interested.

https://decolonisestem.home.blog/2019/07/31/symposium-applications-are-open/

Do any of the people organising or attending this actually do any real useful work in the STEM fields?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:55:25 am by EEVblog »

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: September 17, 2019, 05:15:43 am »
This collective recognises how these politics – of empire and white supremacy – are deeply embedded and upheld by our hegemonic understanding of science, institutional practice, and emerging technologies.
Makes me think of how Albert Einstein's ideas were denounced as "Jewish Physics" back in the Nazi era. Makes about as much sense.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1480 on: September 17, 2019, 07:29:54 am »
I'm doubting that "I'd to attend to film it so I can put on Youtube for the LOL's" would cut the mustard as an explanation...

f you’d like to participate to our symposium, now is the time to apply. We have decided to move away from the traditional first-come first-served basis, which can have the effect of excluding certain groups. Instead, we invite those who wish to participate to explain why they are interested.

https://decolonisestem.home.blog/2019/07/31/symposium-applications-are-open/

Do any of the people organising or attending this actually do any real useful work in the STEM fields?

I already asked them whether it was open to those outside academia (bearing in mind the impenetrable non-STEM word soup jargon they use). They said definitely, yes it was. A week ago I also asked whether they're funded, directly or indirectly, by public funds, but they've so far not responded. This makes a difference because if it's publicly funded, they need to be careful if they're rejecting attendees on an arbitrary basis.

FWIW, my reason for attending was to find out what relevance this has outside of a self serving academic gravy train (I didn't quite use those terms). This is on the basis that clearly they're trying to indoctrinate this self-flagellating twaddle outside of their bubble.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1481 on: September 17, 2019, 07:43:34 am »

(Attachment Link)

The Sokal squared attendee did submit one but it was rejected. It turns out she's also been uninvited as an attendee since they discovered who she is.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1482 on: September 17, 2019, 08:16:33 am »
I've long agreed there. "Fireperson" sounds stupid, "fireman" rolls off the tongue and there's no reason a woman can't be a fireman.

Yeah, righ. This 50-60 kg lady surely can safely and efficiently handle hydraulic jaws of life, cutters or spreaders. Casualties will definitely enjoy their time in car wreck while she struggles with the tool.

These "real" firefighters think engineers are a bunch of wimps... especially EE's!   :-DD

Offline Canis Dirus Leidy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1483 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:09 am »
This collective recognises how these politics – of empire and white supremacy – are deeply embedded and upheld by our hegemonic understanding of science, institutional practice, and emerging technologies.
Makes me think of how Albert Einstein's ideas were denounced as "Jewish Physics" back in the Nazi era. Makes about as much sense.
Welcome to the wonderful world of feminist glaciology!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1484 on: September 17, 2019, 08:46:01 am »

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: September 17, 2019, 09:37:17 am »

If the people who wrote that stopped breathing we'd have a little less CO2 to contend with. Good outcome all round.

It's quite frankly unsurprising the direction this has gone in. If you have several thousand people a year churned out of the academic mill who don't solve anything useful and have no real reason to exist or be a service to humanity then it builds the self sustaining meta-cults evident here. Fundamentally, idle hands are the devil's playground. There's probably a paper on that somewhere  :-DD

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1486 on: September 17, 2019, 12:37:22 pm »

That was part of a $450k US government grant  :palm:
https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1253779
They got so much backlash they had to issue a statement:
https://www.nsf.gov/about/congress/reports/response_glacier.pdf

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1487 on: September 17, 2019, 12:51:23 pm »

That was part of a $450k US government grant  :palm:
https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1253779
If you look at the response from the NSF it looks like the grant was for reasonable stuff, and people misappropriated funds to push their political agenda. So, maybe its not the NSF at fault.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: September 17, 2019, 02:07:15 pm »

That response is so weak, it bears almost no relation to the paper itself. How can they draw equivalence to the awards they've made in the past for the Internet, web browsers, Doppler radar, Magnetic Resonance Imaging, DNA fingerprinting, and bar codes?

In the NSF's defence, it looks like the proposal to the NSF itself for the award was disingenuous. The NSF's response to the proposal was, here's $450k, now piss it away on whatever you like.

Reading between the lines, I don't think they were happy with the misuse of money, but to try to justify it by suggesting it could be "considered novel or outside-of-the-box" is nonsense. Science stopped doing witchcraft and cauldrons several centuries ago.

By the NSF's own admission only one in five proposals achieve funding. It's just very sad that far more deserving projects, doubtless far more in line with their real values, lost out to a bunch of dishonest parasites.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1489 on: September 17, 2019, 02:18:03 pm »
The alleged white supremacy embedded in science and debilitating effects of colonialism has to be some of the dumbest theories ever invented given that a very sizable chunk of the most advanced industry in America comes from a former colony and one of the richest and most advanced countries in the world is 100% nonwhite.

I'm impressed that some people are able to withstand that level of delusion :D

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighting-101/articles/277551018-what-do-the-nfpa-1582-physical-fitness-requirements-say/
Yeah, thank you for linking that. Surely enough, the standards are as man-centric, sexist and discriminatory as I suspected. :D
Not a word given to acknowledge the nurturing quality that women bring to rescue teams, which of course is a social construct by the way :D

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: September 17, 2019, 02:49:34 pm »
I've long agreed there. "Fireperson" sounds stupid, "fireman" rolls off the tongue and there's no reason a woman can't be a fireman.

Yeah, righ. This 50-60 kg lady surely can safely and efficiently handle hydraulic jaws of life, cutters or spreaders. Casualties will definitely enjoy their time in car wreck while she struggles with the tool.

These "real" firefighters think engineers are a bunch of wimps... especially EE's!   :-DD

Congratulations, you've found three exceptionally buff and masculine women, what is your point exactly? Are you implying that this indicates that on average men are not physically stronger and more likely to take this career path? Maybe you can point out where anyone said that there are no women capable of being firemen because I must have missed that.

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1491 on: September 17, 2019, 08:11:31 pm »
This goes beyond the conventional facepalm, into realms unexplored by facepalmers world wide...

Would the best way to deal with this be to let these 'scientists' have their little circlejerk... and ignore and avoid them, whilst getting on with solving real problem, not "is the wheel too phallic and were enough minorities involved in its development?" sort of problems?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1492 on: September 17, 2019, 09:30:03 pm »
From page 5 of that blurb:
Of course women were not entirely absent from glaciology and related disciplines and activities. Fanny Bullock Workman, a famous mountaineer who also studied glaciers in the early 20th century,
Fanny Bullock WHO???

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1493 on: September 18, 2019, 03:48:41 am »
Congratulations, you've found three exceptionally buff and masculine women, what is your point exactly? Are you implying that this indicates that on average men are not physically stronger and more likely to take this career path? Maybe you can point out where anyone said that there are no women capable of being firemen because I must have missed that.

In response to:

AFAIK a test of physical strength has always been a requisite for firefighters. It will still apply.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, discrimination based on physical strength is just one step from discrimination based on skin colour  :-DD

Along with :
AFAIK a test of physical strength has always been a requisite for firefighters. It will still apply.
Tests of physical strength are discriminatory against women and therefore illegal :D

I can easily prove it: just see how many men vs women pass them.
"Fit for the job" is just one of the old tricks that Patriarchy uses to keep women down.

You can laugh but there are idiots who legitimately believe it...
https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighting-101/articles/277551018-what-do-the-nfpa-1582-physical-fitness-requirements-say/

There's irony in a bunch of engineers mansplaining about the fitness (or lack thereof) of female fire fighters.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 03:57:40 am by windsmurf »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1494 on: September 18, 2019, 07:10:22 am »
I don't think you get to say "mansplaining" after calling EEs "wimps", though.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1495 on: September 18, 2019, 08:27:06 am »
On that subject, there is not a word "womansplain" whereas there is a word "mansplain"  :palm:

This isn't about gender superiority either way. That doesn't matter. Humans are pretty fungible beasts.

What is a problem is any human leveraging something else other than individual merit to raise themselves to a non existent moral plateau for the purposes of self-imposed superiority.

Now I shall invoke Godwin's Law by stating that we had a certain distinctively mustached individual who demonstrated how badly that can go wrong...

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1496 on: September 18, 2019, 09:51:39 am »
I don't think you get to say "mansplaining" after calling EEs "wimps", though.

That wasn't me saying wimps... it was the firefighters, I swear!
Haha ok sorry I thought it was humorous, but my apologies if I offended anyone. 
I see my attempt at humorous irony didn't quite work the way I'd planned with some folks.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1497 on: September 18, 2019, 12:56:08 pm »
On that subject, there is not a word "womansplain" whereas there is a word "mansplain"  :palm:
This little exchange in the Australian Parliament a while back was good.

https://youtu.be/ZOXh5repOWI

The following users thanked this post: bd139, soldar

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: September 18, 2019, 02:28:14 pm »
Hahaha he owned her totally.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1499 on: September 18, 2019, 06:29:15 pm »
This little exchange in the Australian Parliament a while back was good.

https://youtu.be/ZOXh5repOWI

The word "mansplaining" is condescending in itself.

Any woman who uses it is therefore "womansplaining".

The following users thanked this post: james_s, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf