Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 93807 times)

daqq and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1550 on: October 05, 2019, 03:04:14 pm »
Any rational person would realise it was a joke, and one that was playing on the modern SJW victim culture/politics ...

I have to say I was surprised at the sheer number of finger-wagging tweets. One or two humorless SJW are to be expected and ignored but I did not expect the response your post generated. Some people really need to lighten up.

I am reminded of the old how many does it take to screw in a light bulb.

- How many feminists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

- THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1551 on: October 05, 2019, 04:05:44 pm »
Any rational person would realise it was a joke, and one that was playing on the modern SJW victim culture/politics ...

I have to say I was surprised at the sheer number of finger-wagging tweets. One or two humorless SJW are to be expected and ignored but I did not expect the response your post generated. Some people really need to lighten up.
If you are trying to virtue signal you have to grasp every opportunity that arises.

Offline John B

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1552 on: October 05, 2019, 08:29:25 pm »
For starters, twitter is the place that concentrates these types of people. Like flies to a turd.

Secondly, when you're an intersectionalist, immutable characteristics and political beliefs are so intertwined that it's impossible to critique their ideas without them taking it personally.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1553 on: October 05, 2019, 10:11:04 pm »
In the light of all this gender bending i just want to massage you all that GRETA is to become new prime minister of  Swedden and UK  and US and you better obey the fact climate change (according to her and AOC US variant on GRETA) will end world in 10 years..!..or less! :scared: ::)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1554 on: October 05, 2019, 11:49:51 pm »
In the light of all this gender bending i just want to massage you all (...)

No thanks... :-DD

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1555 on: October 06, 2019, 03:03:25 am »
It breaks my heart to think how she would cope if she realizes, as an adult, how she was manipulated by her parents for ideological reasons...
History is full of suicide and parricide for lesser stuff.

As a physicist, but not an atmospheric physicist, I can say that that field is so full of politics and goal-driven research (even including replacing old measurement data with back-projected extrapolations, and claiming the latter are "more better"!), that it is impossible to give any sort of trust ratings in that field anymore.  Even the number of citations is completely irrelevant there, due to the clustering/division within the field.  Even considering the majority view as being the most likely correct one is just a guess, because expressing ones opinion, or even surprising results you didn't expect, may throw you into "the other camp", whatever that may be, and cut you off from funding; so most published research shows only results that are either expected, or at least align with the views of the researchers home organization.

Climatology is an excellent example of what happens when politics infect peer-reviewed science.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #1556 on: October 06, 2019, 04:40:33 am »
full of politics and goal-driven research

Any run-of-the mill scientist can devise an experiment or study in order to test a hyphothesis.
A great scientist makes damn sure the experiments or study yield the expected results!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1557 on: October 06, 2019, 01:53:43 pm »
Climatology is an excellent example of what happens when politics infect peer-reviewed science.
I don't think the issue is politics. Its money. Anything to do with energy involves big money. Anything involving big money invites corruption. I don't know of any area of energy production, consumption or mitigation where anything anyone says has ever been something you can take at face value.

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1558 on: October 06, 2019, 03:03:17 pm »
Now Stack Overflow is imploding due to (secret) Code of Conduct / gender pronouns issue. (I use the word "imploding", because many subsites are down to a single moderator, with some without any moderators at all.)
Stack Exchange has always been lame due to their stiff rules and pedantic moderators actually enforcing them.
Less moderators - good riddance :P

Hey Elon!  Do you need a janitor on Mars?  I can do code and systems maintenance, but if you give me a seat, I'll do sewage pipe maintenance if needed.  Just get me off this planet!  :palm:
There are faster ways off this planet if that's what you want. But why leave if the fun just begins?
By the way, one click further beyond your link brings this beautiful gem:
I have witnessed a disagreement between moderators where both sides made some good points. Both sides deserved and requested respect. One side was aware that their behavior could hurt even though no malice was intended and tried to go out of their way in order not to be hurtful. The other side demanded to have things their way, and did not care who they were hurting on the process. In this particular dispute, there was clearly a victim and aggressors. The victim has now written up her side of the story.

Stack Exchange intervened, did not try to calm spirits, came firmly on the uncompromising side, and fired the victim in a very hurtful manner. This is not an environment I feel safe in, and certainly not an environment I can or will help foster.

I have been a participant on Stack Exchange for 9 years and a volunteer moderator across different sites for more than 8. Stepping down is a big thing for me. I am very disappointed to go that way. But I simply cannot continue.
:-DD
These people are all the same no matter which "side" they take. There is only one side, and it's madness :popcorn:

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1559 on: October 06, 2019, 03:17:42 pm »
I don't think the issue is politics. Its money.

It's both IMO.
Energy is such a basic necessity that controlling it has as many political implications as it has financial ones.
After all, it's basically all about controlling people's lives, at a pretty low level even...

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1560 on: October 06, 2019, 03:29:31 pm »
Energy is a big deal because people's entire lifestyles depend on it. Nobody is going to give that up and nobody will be keen of the collectivization and bureaucratization that tends to follow all attempts at changing things.

It breaks my heart to think how she would cope if she realizes, as an adult, how she was manipulated by her parents for ideological reasons...
She won't; the cult will still be alive long after she's gone.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1561 on: October 06, 2019, 03:36:52 pm »
Stack Exchange has always been lame due to their stiff rules and pedantic moderators actually enforcing them.

Oh yeah. I've found it unusable for a long time now. Like half of the threads locked for being considered irrelevant for no apparent reason other than moderators' tantrums.
And the ones that get to "live" often contain more posts about how the questions should have been asked than about useful answers.
Just funny. I don't even get why people still use this. ;D

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1562 on: October 06, 2019, 03:47:27 pm »
Sorry for spamming this thread with Stack Exchange drama but that's just so hilarious I can't resist :-//

At the time they fired me I was in the midst of what I thought was an amicable email discussion with a member of their team, trying to resolve the matter, and had been waiting patiently for four days for a reply.

I seriously don't know what happened there and who offended whom, but yeah, that's just funny on its own right ;)

Online MyHeadHz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1563 on: October 07, 2019, 03:28:43 am »

Oh yeah. I've found it unusable for a long time now. Like half of the threads locked for being considered irrelevant for no apparent reason other than moderators' tantrums.
And the ones that get to "live" often contain more posts about how the questions should have been asked than about useful answers.
Just funny. I don't even get why people still use this. ;D

My general theory of internet-era stupidity as of late is as follows...

There are various market sectors for anything.  In general, about 80% of revenue tends to come from about 20% of customers, all else being the same.  Lately companies have been identifying that 20% of people, or even the "whales" (even more disproportionately-profitable customers) and honing in on them- the rest be damned.  The gamble is that the extra income from milking those few, is that you earn more revenue over-all.  More intelligent people are more discerning, so it takes more effort to get their money.  So many companies are basically ignoring the vast majority of the market, to appease a smaller and smaller user-base.

Personally, I don't really care about marketing at all.  It's all about what's best for me from my research, so it's mostly pointless to direct advertising directly to people like me.  The active twitter users (approx 10% here in the US) and the like tend to be the target audience (buyers of impulse, instead of logic).

Combined with all the "free" advertising that comes along with controversy on social media, and you have an accounting for most of the annoying crap we are seeing.

Moderator tantrums, new politically-charged policies all over the place, and the like stem from keeping their marketing demographic happy.  That is, the people with the lowest combined sum of intelligence and financial self-control.  Stupid people are simply the most profitable customers.

I have no idea what, if anything, can be done about it.  This does not seem to be a sustainable system for much longer, so I think something will need to change.  Or maybe I'm just really pessimistic and entirely wrong... :o

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1564 on: October 07, 2019, 08:51:18 am »
The woman they banned and the most prominent of the moderators who resigned were whales too, running whole subforums about Judaism/Christianity (I didn't even realize such things exist at SE) and generally active all over the site. This woman was supposedly so popular that she was voted 2nd in some election(?) to some "Community Manager" position or whatever, a year or two ago. Or so somebody said in some blog post or somewhere at SE, IIRC.

Meanwhile the founder of SO is...., well, let's say he isn't a religious zealot but something else ;D

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1565 on: October 07, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »
The active twitter users (approx 10% here in the US) and the like tend to be the target audience (buyers of impulse, instead of logic).

That's not fair to twitter, it at least allows some private communities to form. I don't use it myself, but I see some credible researchers in 3D graphics use it as a really bad (re-)blogging service.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1566 on: October 08, 2019, 01:17:20 am »
I spend some of my time writing code for some boards I’ve made, in assembler no less. I’m waiting for the time when some snowflake looking for something to be offended by decides that one or more commands in the MCU instruction set is racist or sexist or homophobic or embodies white male privilege or whatever other grievance that they may contrive. It’s just as silly as that maths nonsense a few posts ago.

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1567 on: October 08, 2019, 01:22:10 am »
I spend some of my time writing code for some boards I’ve made, in assembler no less. I’m waiting for the time when some snowflake looking for something to be offended by decides that one or more commands in the MCU instruction set is racist or sexist or homophobic or embodies white male privilege or whatever other grievance that they may contrive. It’s just as silly as that maths nonsense a few posts ago.

You joke, but there was already a big fluff over the master/slave terminology common in computers and other devices. Seemed ridiculous to me at the time and still does, a slave device is quite literally that, dependent on commands from the master, fortunately inanimate devices do not have feelings so we shouldn't have to worry about it.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1568 on: October 08, 2019, 02:11:11 am »
If they at least replaced it with master/servant for minimal disruption ... but since it's about power it must be maximally disrupting and maximally confusing :/ Parent/child is just taking the piss.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:13:15 am by Marco »

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1569 on: October 08, 2019, 06:18:16 am »
Leader - Follower

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1570 on: October 08, 2019, 06:22:39 am »
I'd prefer going the opposite direction... Man - Bitch(like a female dog).

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1571 on: October 08, 2019, 07:08:55 am »
Dom / Sub?  :-DD

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1572 on: October 08, 2019, 07:14:54 am »
There are two ways to settle the naming controversy: "Equal, Equal" or "How dare you assume my role in the data exchange!? Are you a nazi?!"

Both of these solve a non-existent problem that was imagined by people who are utterly useless, both would lead to a disruption of a perfectly working system that everyone was OK with, both would cost absurd amounts of money to implement and neither of them makes sense. The classic SJW way.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1573 on: October 08, 2019, 07:46:22 am »
You jest, but now that they've found out they can control how people are allowed to speak, they will invent either new speech modes, or genderize first and second person pronouns, because nothing is wrong if it involves enhancing their feelings of safety and superiority.

As to Stack Overflow, I liked answering questions there because I could pick the interesting ones based on topic (C, POSIX, geometry, 3d, vector algebra, linear algebra) and ignore the rest (especially all Windows-specific questions, and so on).  I could use strong filters to avoid topics I could be sucked into, without being of practical use to others.  (That is how I realized how counter-useful programming language lawyerism is.) No other site has those features, and I enjoyed being useful.

Years ago, I stopped participating at LinuxQuestions, because the moderators required positive responses even to homework questions and questions already answered, and ignored the facts at hand.  I don't take kindly to exploiters and cheaters, and will poke them, so I just did not fit.

At Stack Overflow, the main issue I had was with the popularity game: popular answerers often worry about their popularity ("reputation") more than the quality of their answers, and would never admit to making any errors, nor correcting them, leading others astray; and if their errors were caught by the popularity voting system, they would simply delete their answer without comment, which cancels the negative popularity score, with new members having no way to find out which popular members engage in this activity.  (If you are popular enough, you get to see those deleted answers, which really shows how crappy stuff some highly popular and trusted members spew.) That is why I took a hiatus from it since February 2019; I wanted to try and see if I could learn how to ignore popular but misleading members and their "advice", instead of pointing out their crap using strong language.

Now, it looks like the new SO/SE CoC requires everyone to use the imaginary third person pronouns users declare; with gender-neutral language banned (as offensive to those who feel not using those imaginary terms is an intent to harm and bully, because it is not what they want, so must be a deliberate intent of harming).  Gender-neutral language is why Monica Cellio was fired, and why ~ 70 moderators have quit or went on hiatus.  I use that too, because I can't do gendered languages correctly; it's always been one of those things I could never grok right.  I was simply thrilled when I found out one could use third person plural 'they'/'them' instead of singular, and completely bypass the gender thing in English; the gender stuff was really hard for me in Swedish and German!

Essentially, what I've heard about their new Code of Conduct, is that it bans my (and Monica Cellios, who also prefers non-gendered language) way of communicating with gender-neutral language, as offensive and bullying.  So, I won't be able to participate anymore.

This is exactly what I see as the immediate practical danger of Gender Politics.
Instead of making us stronger and more robust in the face of problems, it is tribalizing people into the Correct Ones and the Outcasts; the outcasts being by definition wrong, and therefore must be punished and de-platformed, unless they relent and subject to self-imposed penalties and mental re-conditioning.

It is sick.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 07:52:26 am by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: daqq, John B, I wanted a rude username

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1574 on: October 08, 2019, 07:58:11 am »
Yep. It’s totally wrong. Imagine trying to read a crypto book in 30 years.

Alice and Bob no more. Of course unless Alice happens to be ideolog of the hour...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf