Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 80928 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1575 on: October 08, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »
Well, everything should be equal to everything I guess, so any numeration system is also probably problematic. ;D

Let's get rid of numbers, and words, and just keep one of each. Hmm, probably not enough. That would make numbers and words not equal. Let's just use ONE word for everything including numbers, genders, physics laws, maths, vegetables, you name it. Maybe not a word, just a symbol? Or a sound? Oh, nope. That would exclude people who can't see or hear. Could that mean that in the end, willing to force equality at all costs could lead to more inequality? Quite possible.

Damn. At least, that keeps some people busy.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1576 on: October 08, 2019, 03:10:20 pm »
Now, it looks like the new SO/SE CoC requires everyone to use the imaginary third person pronouns users declare; with gender-neutral language banned (as offensive to those who feel not using those imaginary terms is an intent to harm and bully, because it is not what they want, so must be a deliberate intent of harming).  Gender-neutral language is why Monica Cellio was fired, and why ~ 70 moderators have quit or went on hiatus.  I use that too, because I can't do gendered languages correctly; it's always been one of those things I could never grok right.  I was simply thrilled when I found out one could use third person plural 'they'/'them' instead of singular, and completely bypass the gender thing in English; the gender stuff was really hard for me in Swedish and German!
Wut?
There is no gender in English. Real gendered language is when you have to learn that dogs are masculine in Polish, feminine in Russian and neutral in German while cats are masculine in Polish and Russian but feminine in German ;D
The whole controversy wouldn't even be possible in any continental European language because it is simply syntactically impossible to be gender-neutral anything without being some object or animal, the third "neutral" gender sometimes being used by 5 year olds as an insult.
Talk about oppressive heteronormativity ;D

And they/them is just silly and quickly gets confusing when you talk about multiple people. IME virtually everything written in English before 2010 or so used "he" as the default pronoun for people of unknown/unspecified gender, like in any other European language AFAIK. And that's what I keep doing and don't give rat's ass.

Essentially, what I've heard about their new Code of Conduct, is that it bans my (and Monica Cellios, who also prefers non-gendered language) way of communicating with gender-neutral language, as offensive and bullying.  So, I won't be able to participate anymore.
Pardon? There is no way anyone can prove that you deliberately avoided using his special snowflake pronouns when you simply abstain from talking to/about him altogether or use language constructs which don't imply gender, which in English is extremely easy. If you really need to go to that shithole of a forum in the first place ;)
And Monica was booted not for doing the above, but for talking about doing the above. Because no one can prove doing it, but you can easily prove being a drama queen and people get tired of that rather fast.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1577 on: October 09, 2019, 05:31:45 am »
Wut?
There is no gender in English.
In Finnish, none of the pronouns indicate gender.  There are no pronouns with any gender indications.  In fact, in everyday speech, we usually use 'it' for both people, animals, and objects.  (So, even when you hear a name, you cannot be sure if it refers to a human or a pet.  Leads to hilarious misunderstandings sometimes.)

If you want to know the gender of someone or something, you need to ask it explicitly.  There are no words in current use that could "hint".  (Technically, there is the -tar suffix, similar to the difference between actor/actress and waiter/waitress, but only stuck-up posh people use those anymore.)  It is common for young children to ask their parents if they're unsure, which usually makes the parents quite anxious (and which I find hilarious, as the kids are being sincire: a kind of "why is the king naked" moment).  If you meet a pet, it is very common to ask if they're a male or a female, as there is no language feature you could infer it from.

For me, gender is just an attribute of a person, like the color of their hair, skin, or eyes.  It is irrelevant and often uninteresting in a technical discussion.  So, when it comes up (say, I need to use a third-person reference in the text), I much prefer to use the genderless reference, "they" or their name, because that comes natural to me; I don't need to stop and think about their name or what gender pronoun others have used etc., to see if I know which gendered third-person pronoun to use.

The problem is that this is offensive to some.  That is the way Monica Cellio wrote as a moderator at Stack Overflow/Stack Exchange, and it is what got her fired.  This issue has lead (directly or indirectly, as in the last straw) 72 additional moderators to quit or suspend their activities, but it does not look like even that is enough to stop Stack Overflow Inc. from instating a CoC that requires gender-specific language, including enforced use of imaginary third-person pronouns, whatever a user declares.

I can't do that: I fail even with the two in English.  I just don't care about that shit enough to notice.  Monica Cellio did it because she was trying hard to be kind and inclusive, without contradicting her own values, and she got fired.  Different reasons but similar situation, usually leads to the same end result.

On another thread here, I've mentioned how I see a real practical risk of being ostracised in the University environment, because of how I talk and interact, and how I often examine unpopular opinions.  I am not worried about those who I interact with directly, not even with first-year students, because I've done that enough to know it is not a problem: even when I do offend, they can tell from my immediate reaction that I did not intend any harm.  It is normal, healthy interaction, that has not this far derailed any discussions, as far as I know.  No, the problem is the third-party overhearers, who take an issue on behalf of a yet another, imaginary party.  In a sane environment these people would just get a :o as a response to their vicarious offense-taking.  Right now, all the indicators is that this third-party offense-taking mob is now large and vocal enough to cause the enacting of rules that penalize or ostracize all non-conforming people.

No proof necessary: the appearance is everything these third-party offendees, these social justice warriors, and these rules, enforce.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:33:21 am by Nominal Animal »

The following users thanked this post: Siwastaja

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1578 on: October 09, 2019, 08:29:51 am »
Wut?
In Finnish, none of the pronouns indicate gender.
Okay, you win. I thought English is the weirdest one out there ;)
All the Romance/Germanic/Slavic languages are heavily gendered, as you are apparently learning the hard way. In ours not only nouns and adjectives but even verbs are gendered. You can't say that someone did something without implying the subject's gender. Would be fun to try to pack the remaining 74 genders into the language ;D

For me, gender is just an attribute of a person, like the color of their hair, skin, or eyes.  It is irrelevant and often uninteresting in a technical discussion.  So, when it comes up (say, I need to use a third-person reference in the text), I much prefer to use the genderless reference, "they" or their name, because that comes natural to me; I don't need to stop and think about their name or what gender pronoun others have used etc., to see if I know which gendered third-person pronoun to use.
Okay, understandable. But I'm afraid that if you use neutral pronouns on somebody whose gender is known it will look a bit weird to those unfamiliar with Finnish ;)
As for those whose gender is unknown, fair game of course. A wildcard pronoun is used. And as I said, it used to be "he" until feminists concluded that it contributes to making women feel unwelcome in "male spaces" and Americans all being bloody SJWs immediately latched onto it |O

At least I can understand your reason, but an American like Cellio calling everyone "they" even if she knows their gender is a red flag that she's either some sort of SJW or trying to hide the fact that she doesn't take the LGBT crowd seriously but refuses to admit it.

Monica Cellio did it because she was trying hard to be kind and inclusive, without contradicting her own values, and she got fired.  Different reasons but similar situation, usually leads to the same end result.
Yeah, I guess that's another way of spelling it ;D

No, the problem is the third-party overhearers, who take an issue on behalf of a yet another, imaginary party.  In a sane environment these people would just get a :o as a response to their vicarious offense-taking.  Right now, all the indicators is that this third-party offense-taking mob is now large and vocal enough to cause the enacting of rules that penalize or ostracize all non-conforming people.
American society is cancer. I simply avoid them when I can and wait for them to implode under the burden of their own drama or start killing each other until they all get tired of messianism. :-//
Something has to change. Nobody can function like that, I'm sure that even Americans can't :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 08:32:49 am by magic »

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1579 on: October 09, 2019, 10:47:25 am »
Wut?
In Finnish, none of the pronouns indicate gender.
Okay, you win. I thought English is the weirdest one out there ;)
On the other hand, we have 15 grammatical cases.

I'm sure that younger Finns, grown up with English all over the media, will find gendered pronouns much easier, but for me and my classmates, gendered personal pronouns were odd when we first learned English, and the gender in Swedish and German downright frustrating.  We had to memorize words and their forms by rote.

Okay, understandable. But I'm afraid that if you use neutral pronouns on somebody whose gender is known it will look a bit weird to those unfamiliar with Finnish ;)
Being seen as weird, that I accept, no problem.  But being penalized, or expected to explain that "hey, I am a Finn, language-impaired; I am allowed this quirk" just because of my native language, fuck that.

At least I can understand your reason, but an American like Cellio calling everyone "they" even if she knows their gender is a red flag that she's either some sort of SJW or trying to hide the fact that she doesn't take the LGBT crowd seriously but refuses to admit it.
No, I disagree.  I see her approach more similar to my own: a way to try and avoid the entire gender issue, because Cellios own opinion about gender stuff is private; she does not want her own private opinion to affect her advice.  I do that too (in other contexts, like religion and culture -- my opinion on those won't affect how I treat an individual or whether I'll help them or not), so I might be projecting here, but this is why I disagree with you.

I seriously do not see why gender should even come up in discussions, regardless of whether one is "supposed" to know or not.

American society is cancer.
It's not just Americans, this is well and truly alive here in Finland, too.  A lecturer got a written warning from their employer last year, because they compared the cost/budget of immigration to the mental health budget/costs (mental health being one of the places where Finnish health system fails).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 10:49:57 am by Nominal Animal »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1580 on: October 09, 2019, 11:07:13 am »
Wut?
In Finnish, none of the pronouns indicate gender.  There are no pronouns with any gender indications.  In fact, in everyday speech, we usually use 'it' for both people, animals, and objects.
Chinese is similar to this. There are gendered versions of the pronouns in Chinese writing which can be used, but seldom are. When speakng, the gendered pronoun characters sound about the same as the non-gendered ones, so they are hard to tell apart. The Chinese generally talk and write without reference to gender. The pronouns just come in singular and plural forms.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:13:20 pm by coppice »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1581 on: October 09, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
Being seen as weird, that I accept, no problem.  But being penalized, or expected to explain that "hey, I am a Finn, language-impaired; I am allowed this quirk" just because of my native language, fuck that.
In America you gotta do as Americans do. Start a thread on meta.se, describe the situation and complain that SE policies made you victim of English language colonization. Something about implicit assumptions of Western culture making you feel like your contribution is unwelcome. Remark how backwards and oppressive English is by having only two genders, leftists love when people shit on their own culture. At last kindly ask that they live up to their own mambo-jumbo and get a load of popcorn ready ;D

No, I disagree.  I see her approach more similar to my own: a way to try and avoid the entire gender issue, because Cellios own opinion about gender stuff is private; she does not want her own private opinion to affect her advice.  I do that too (in other contexts, like religion and culture -- my opinion on those won't affect how I treat an individual or whether I'll help them or not), so I might be projecting here, but this is why I disagree with you.
In such cases I would just call those people by name or use some other sentence structure that avoids pronouns altogether. It can be done and if you don't brag about it no one will make a fuss or even know.

Besides, there is no avoiding the entire gender issue. The entire gender issue is that we got to the point where there are men who aren't even making much effort to pretend they are women or outright brag about being men and yet demand to be considered as women, not just in language but in every possible way. The gender issue is that a rape victim support group in Canada had their property vandalized a few months ago when they refused to let "women with penises" in because apparently rape victims wanted to hear nothing about penises, the gender issue is that a woman was raped somewhere in prison by a fellow "transfemale" inmate, the gender issue is that US army serves (or served?) as a charity funding plastic surgeries for transsexuals who enlist only for that purpose, etc. The gender issue is that there are people who simply can't mind their own business and let you mind your own, you have to "validate" them or they threaten to off themselves or make your life hell. Ignoring them is not an option they give you.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #1582 on: October 13, 2019, 04:39:30 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/aug/29/university-makes-10-point-entry-score-adjustment-for-female-applicants
Oh good, now when a shoddily designed building falls on my head at least I die happy with the knowledge that it was probably designed by a gender balanced and diverse team. Go progress!
:wtf: is this even constitutional?
NSW Anti-Discrimination Board allowed 10-point adjustment to discriminate male students  :-DD

Ok, now I'm angry. I went to UTS, hired a UTS engineering graduate, and have invited UTS students to my lab, never again.  >:(
The entire board of the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board should be sacked and slapped over the head for the irony.

You should see how many points I get:
+10 points for being female
-5 points for being previously male
+10 points for being trans
+15 points for being legally blind
+5 points for being physically disabled

So I am well qualified to design your hardware on points alone. In reality it won't work and you will have tons of problems and when you try to fire me I will just file a lawsuit saying you discriminated.

I'll show up every other Friday to collet my pay. Better make sure the pay stub is in brail and the entrance has wheel chair ramps and large print signs.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #1583 on: October 13, 2019, 04:44:01 am »
Well, everything should be equal to everything I guess, so any numeration system is also probably problematic. ;D

Let's get rid of numbers, and words, and just keep one of each. Hmm, probably not enough. That would make numbers and words not equal. Let's just use ONE word for everything including numbers, genders, physics laws, maths, vegetables, you name it. Maybe not a word, just a symbol? Or a sound? Oh, nope. That would exclude people who can't see or hear. Could that mean that in the end, willing to force equality at all costs could lead to more inequality? Quite possible.

Damn. At least, that keeps some people busy.

Everything on marklar is marklar all marklar is marklar and marklar are marklar. marklar.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline jhalar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1584 on: October 13, 2019, 11:47:16 am »
I spend some of my time writing code for some boards I’ve made, in assembler no less. I’m waiting for the time when some snowflake looking for something to be offended by decides that one or more commands in the MCU instruction set is racist or sexist or homophobic or embodies white male privilege or whatever other grievance that they may contrive. It’s just as silly as that maths nonsense a few posts ago.
At work last week a non-technical woman started to complain to me when she overheard me talking to my male colleague that he needed to use a DE9 female to female gender changer for a serial connected device.
She shut up when I explained what I was talking about.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1585 on: October 13, 2019, 12:06:44 pm »
 :phew: Good thing you were not talking about master-slave protocols then  :)

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1586 on: October 13, 2019, 01:04:58 pm »
Just a side note: Stack Overflow Inc. did go full gender "neopronoun" enforcer.

Q9:  Do I have to use pronouns I’m unfamiliar or uncomfortable with (e.g., neopronouns like xe, zir, ne... )?
    A: Yes, if those are stated by the individual.

They're fairly clear that using non-gender specific language is no longer allowed; one must use the imaginary pronouns.

Welp, that was that for me, then.  (Again, not a political choice for me, I just do not grok gendered pronouns at all.)

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1587 on: October 13, 2019, 03:16:03 pm »

Q9:  Do I have to use pronouns I’m unfamiliar or uncomfortable with (e.g., neopronouns like xe, zir, ne... )?

They're fairly clear that using non-gender specific language is no longer allowed; one must use the imaginary pronouns.

Welp, that was that for me, then.  (Again, not a political choice for me, I just do not grok gendered pronouns at all.)
About time. Henceforth, if you ever wish to address me, use my preferred pronoun "olemolebulu". Also, being a fluid person, I will be changing this pronoun on a monthly basis. Kindly respect my wishes, because reasons.
...and, if we're lucky, in a few decades we might just break the concept of a language, when it will be the norm to invent words out of the blue for whatever reasons and expect other people to read our minds and be offended when they fail to do so.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1588 on: October 13, 2019, 04:12:55 pm »
I prefer old-fashioned "His Majesty" :-DD

...and, if we're lucky, in a few decades we might just break the concept of a language, when it will be the norm to invent words out of the blue for whatever reasons
That's the whole point. Some people just can't live in civilization and want to believe that civilization only exists to oppress them and somehow life will get better when it's "deconstructed".
Good thing is, that's a negative feedback process because it's the same civilization which afforded them the comfort of having enough freedom and spare time to dismantle it.
And we know that if the feedback comes delayed, the system will overshoot in the opposite direction too. Leftism is a self-correcting problem even if no amount of failure can convince the leftists otherwise.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #1589 on: October 13, 2019, 09:19:26 pm »
Worse case scenario is someone is setting up themselves for  a Nobel prize on "Inclusion"
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1590 on: October 13, 2019, 09:30:37 pm »
Is it already April fools?

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1591 on: October 13, 2019, 10:02:10 pm »
Worse case scenario is someone is setting up themselves for  a Nobel prize on "Inclusion"
Especially when you consider only one person or perhaps a small group could win that prize and eight billion odd people are excluded.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1592 on: October 13, 2019, 11:38:54 pm »

They are using machine learning to flag posts that are "troublesome"

And their changes got ratioed to buggery, check out the negative number (which not being a user, I assume is really bad?)

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 11:41:35 pm by EEVblog »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1593 on: October 14, 2019, 12:27:14 am »
They are using machine learning to flag posts that are "troublesome"
If only they could find a way to use machine learning to actually provide some useful answers on their site.  :) When I'm Googling stuff I've been ignoring any entries from stackexchange for quite a while. They rarely have any useful information, and if they do its buried somewhere in a very poorly laid out mess. It just not worth the bother. I'm surprised by this recent exchange to find they actually have a community. I thought it just another uncurated web forum.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1594 on: October 14, 2019, 12:51:37 am »
It just not worth the bother. I'm surprised by this recent exchange to find they actually have a community. I thought it just another uncurated web forum.

They may not have much of a community left for much longer. Engineers (software) and assorted nerds generally do not take kindly to political correctness, especially compelled speech. I predict they will leave in droves.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1595 on: October 14, 2019, 06:57:15 am »
Can confirm. It’s gone down the same hole as Expert Sex Change did. I know no one who uses it. Most knowledge comes from unmoderated technical blogs or is tribal in nature.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:59:47 am by bd139 »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1596 on: October 14, 2019, 07:41:26 am »
They may not have much of a community left for much longer. Engineers (software) and assorted nerds generally do not take kindly to political correctness, especially compelled speech. I predict they will leave in droves.
The Internet gave rise to a certain different kind of nerds who are stuck in some libertarian pacifist utopianism and completely incapable of handling any confrontation or disagreement. And they call it progress and they think that everybody is like them except for card carrying fascists and the last remaining redneck dinosaurs, about to go extinct anytime soon. They really have no problem writing their opinions into law like they have no problem banning murder. Because they really think everybody is like them.
You can see this delusion perfectly in social media. Ten years ago they virtue signaled about freedom of speech and expected people to get together and have a civil discussion and come to all the same conclusions they themselves believe. What they really got is endless flamewars. And apparently it didn't occur to them that giving voice to marginalized communities also includes flat earthers ;D

Offline vealmike

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1597 on: October 14, 2019, 09:05:44 am »
We do not conjugate verbs according the the gender of the noun or pronoun, we do not assign genders to objects; "the man runs", "the woman runs".

We do have some gender specific nouns e.g. actor and actress, comedian and comedienne, fiance and fiancee (borrowed from the French.) It bugs me when I hear an actress referring to herself as an actor or a young woman talking about her fiancee. It seems to be a modern trend to abandon such gendered nouns.

The words aren't discriminatory, using the wrong word doesn't advance any cause or battle for equality, it just shows ignorance of the language.

But what really, really abrades my bedsores is people who think the discrimination should be countered by positive discrimination.

There are intrinsic differences between men and women and between people of different cultures. As long as the same opportunities are available to all, we've done all we need to do. If a woman wants to be an engineer, the opportunities exist and in my experience she'll be judged on her talent alone, exactly as her male colleagues are.

I have no desire to live in a world where positive discrimination has homogenised society, I'd far rather live in a world where we embrace our differences.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1598 on: October 14, 2019, 10:16:18 am »
At StackOverflow/StackExchange, I'd wager losing 70-odd volunteer moderators is indicative of what is happening.  Also, normally, negative-scored questions get eventually deleted.  Having a score nearing a negative thousand is gotta be a record, utterly impossible except for posts by the company itself.

The way questions are tagged by topic made it useful for me.  However, the idea that popular answers are correct, is a logical fallacy, which is why I never voted (except as a courtesy when suggesting changes to a question or answer, and that suggestion was welcomed).

If you look at how I answered questions (listing directories in C, generating permutations of a string or number, endianness, seccomp, isosurface mapping, UTF-8 mapping, multi-threaded ptrace, 3D projection, weighting similarity comparisons, flipping hemispheres, or walking on a triangular mesh), you see how they are much more like a technical blog post on the topic, rather than just presenting the answer to that specific question; with enough background information to bring anyone up to speed, and evaluate the post on its merits (instead by the reputation of the answerer, as is the norm there), and for anyone to easily verify the claims in the answer.  You'll also see that many/most of them have interesting comments as a discussion (which is frowned upon), but that often lead to a better answer (you can see edits by clicking on the "edited" word below the post).

I miss that.  I do get some interesting questions a couple of times each month via my email, but it's not enough of a fix.  I don't do chats or phone calls, because I intensely dislike the synchronous nature without the information density of face-to-face discussions; it's either asynchronous (email or posts), or face-to-face, for me.  (I do volunteer, having a Linux laptop tutorial/bug fix/helper "club" each week at my Uni just for the face-to-face stuff, although I am almost twice as old as most of the students who need help with their Linux laptops.  Meh.  It also lets me work on my social skills, and keep active contacts there, so I like it.)

If a site existed which implemented the topic tags and filtering, maybe a voting system for the social types, and perhaps answer class tags (tested to work, verified, technically correct, etc.), and allowed threaded discussions for each answer, that'd be perfect for me.  I could create that myself (I have done even more complex server-side stuff from scratch), but I have zero interest in running, managing, or moderating such a site; I just love finding good technical answers to interesting questions.  (Many of the questions I've answered, I did not know the exact answer beforehand; I only knew the context, and how to find the answer.  I write such answers as a "tale of discovery", that anyone can follow and recheck their veracity.)

I don't often answer C programming questions here at EEVblog forums, because the context is unfamiliar to me: I'm used to working on long-term portable projects, not code intended to run on a specific processor/microcontroller using specific versions of the development tools.  That kind of limited context isn't that interesting to me; I prefer to help people learn how to build robust, portable stuff, instead of answering "A or B?" type of questions.

It is a goddamn shame that gender politics took that away, and not just from me, but all engineering/scientist types who do not/can not do that social fluff stuff, and just want to work with others on the technical stuff and learn new interesting things.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:17:57 am by Nominal Animal »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1599 on: October 14, 2019, 01:52:00 pm »
At StackOverflow/StackExchange, I'd wager losing 70-odd volunteer moderators is indicative of what is happening.

Did  they actually lose that many?  :o

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf