Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 80670 times)

Offline BBBbbb

• Supporter
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1750 on: October 28, 2019, 10:02:09 am »
Interesting:
Smartphone maker Xiaomi hired leading voice recognition expert Daniel Povey. The researcher who was part of the team to develop the widely used open-source speech recognition toolkit Kaldi announced his next move on Twitter. Before this, Povey declined an offer from Facebook after he was fired by John Hopkins University for attempting to break up a student sit-in. He told The Baltimore Sun earlier that he intended to join a Chinese company because “they don’t have American-style social justice warriors” and he would feel “more relaxed among the Chinese.”

Not sure how valid his argument is, I find it more of a reactionary move, than one only lead by reason.

The extract is part of a bigger and not relevant text, mostly about tech news in China, so I'm not linking it. Info is easily googleable.

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Offline SerieZ

• Contributor
« Reply #1751 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:19 am »
Interesting:
Smartphone maker Xiaomi hired leading voice recognition expert Daniel Povey. The researcher who was part of the team to develop the widely used open-source speech recognition toolkit Kaldi announced his next move on Twitter. Before this, Povey declined an offer from Facebook after he was fired by John Hopkins University for attempting to break up a student sit-in. He told The Baltimore Sun earlier that he intended to join a Chinese company because “they don’t have American-style social justice warriors” and he would feel “more relaxed among the Chinese.”

Not sure how valid his argument is, I find it more of a reactionary move, than one only lead by reason.

The extract is part of a bigger and not relevant text, mostly about tech news in China, so I'm not linking it. Info is easily googleable.

I agree with you and I believe he might have a very unpleasant awakening that Chinese Corporate Culture has its own very unpleasant quirks.
Personally I think I could handle some Ideologically handicapped American Teenagers better than some Ideologically handicapped full grown Adults... Maybe I am wrong tho, I believe the Chinese will yell at you far less.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1752 on: October 28, 2019, 04:54:33 pm »
Millennials aren't teenagers anymore, some of them are nearing 40 and it doesn't speak well of them that you still haven't noticed how old they really are ;D

Pictured below, typical employees of one of the most influential software companies in the world :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf