Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 101275 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1775 on: December 18, 2019, 10:32:07 am »
Previously well-respected journal Nature is triggered by "quantum supremacy".

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03781-0

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1776 on: December 18, 2019, 10:45:41 am »
We take issue with the use of ‘supremacy’ when referring to quantum computers that can out-calculate even the fastest supercomputers (F. Arute et al. Nature 574, 505–510; 2019). We consider it irresponsible to override the historical context of this descriptor, which risks sustaining divisions in race, gender and class. We call for the community to use ‘quantum advantage’ instead.
Wow, that's so backwards. I have issues with the whole concept of inequality, as such I demand that the term 'quantum equality' is used.
Don't worry, social justice is just starting to enter it's own demise as they eat each other alive.  :popcorn:
Hopefully this crap dies before doing any more damage, but I doubt it. Idiotic ideas have a strange appeal to a certain kind of person who needs to justify their existence before themselves but doesn't know how to do anything useful.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1777 on: December 18, 2019, 10:46:51 am »
Ugh just googling one of them lead to a bullshit rabbit hole:

https://www.quantumresponsibility.org/openletter

Edit: in retrospect, all these people are doing is ushering in an age of newspeak.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 10:48:37 am by bd139 »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1778 on: December 18, 2019, 11:18:06 am »
More twaddle from the once esteemed organ "Nature"

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1779 on: December 18, 2019, 01:42:26 pm »
it must be an effort to prove Poe's law

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1780 on: December 19, 2019, 11:02:10 am »
Previously well-respected journal Nature is triggered by "quantum supremacy".
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-03781-0

:palm:
There is ready list of snowflake co-signatories:
https://www.nature.com/magazine-assets/d41586-019-03781-0/17477700

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1783 on: December 19, 2019, 12:33:03 pm »
She's "interested in pro-equality science (intersectional/decolonial/queer)"  :o

"Decoloniality or decolonialism is a term used principally by an emerging Latin American movement which focuses on understanding modernity in the context of a form of critical theory applied to ethnic studies and, increasingly, gender and area studies as well"

892376-0

Speaking of which: "Aussie nurses have to apologise for being white":

(I love that channel)
http://brave.com <- THE BEST BROWSER

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1784 on: December 19, 2019, 01:16:27 pm »
I find it outrageous how much these people drag the term Science in the mud.
Same with much of Psychology - Sociology very often lacks repeatability in their little "Experiments".

I cannot help but seeing those people as anything more than Parasites sucking on Public funding and an annoyance to Humankind.
 :box:
As easy as paint by number.

Offline wilfred

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1785 on: December 19, 2019, 01:17:06 pm »
Fun fact.

The top 7 posters in this thread back in October made up nearly 50% of the posts. Today the same 7 posters still make up nearly 50% of the posts. I wonder what it will look like in 12 months time.

I also was intrigued by the list of snowflakes.

A couple of these snowflakes are clever people. Working in Australia at the moment. Hopefully acomplishing some useful advances in their field. Not picked at random. I noticed the UniofQLD in the list and was curious. I wonder how much of their time is spent being offended.

https://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/11450
https://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/12106 https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319531915#aboutAuthors

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 01:22:17 pm by wilfred »

Offline SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1786 on: December 19, 2019, 01:24:21 pm »
Some very clever people make a living out of making some less Clever people believe they are never mistaken - sometimes even without themselves knowing.

Crazy world, eh?

As easy as paint by number.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1788 on: December 19, 2019, 03:46:30 pm »
https://www.quantumresponsibility.org/openletter

The complete list of snowflakes!

Piss soaked snowflakes to be fair

Never forget that snowflakes will always vanish rapidly with a little bit targeted heat.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1789 on: December 19, 2019, 05:25:30 pm »
Don't worry, social justice is just starting to enter it's own demise as they eat each other alive.  :popcorn:
Look up how long it took the USSR to dissolve, and they had all the same problems for all the same reasons. We haven't even seen the beginning :popcorn:

What exactly you think is the future of all those people who "made bad career choices" as you like to say and dumped megabucks on their neomarxist education? You cannot possibly believe that they will simply admit their uselessness and go homeless or start flipping burgers? Flipping burgers is a job for below-minimum-wage undocumented immigrants, those highly educated humanists have some standards. And also have nothing to do with their time besides securing their reason for existence. They are here to stay.

This ideological cancer had been growing unchecked in academia for a whole century. It simply isn't going away. Entire lives of thousands or millions of losers are invested in it.

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1790 on: December 19, 2019, 05:53:02 pm »
Look up how long it took the USSR to dissolve, and they had all the same problems for all the same reasons. We haven't even seen the beginning :popcorn:

What exactly you think is the future of all those people who "made bad career choices" as you like to say and dumped megabucks on their neomarxist education? You cannot possibly believe that they will simply admit their uselessness and go homeless or start flipping burgers? Flipping burgers is a job for below-minimum-wage undocumented immigrants, those highly educated humanists have some standards. And also have nothing to do with their time besides securing their reason for existence. They are here to stay.

This ideological cancer had been growing unchecked in academia for a whole century. It simply isn't going away. Entire lives of thousands or millions of losers are invested in it.

if your job is to describe and fight against a "problem" you don't want that "problem" to be solved because then you
are out of a job

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1791 on: December 19, 2019, 06:02:03 pm »
You are overrating their self-awareness. To them everything they do is happening for real, which is exactly their strength. If you disagree, you have to be joking, trolling or "gaslighting" them ::)

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1792 on: December 19, 2019, 06:32:49 pm »
Oh lord. Bullshit "decolonization" stuff about bullshit "quantum supremacy" claims. What more bullshitty could we want?
It's like one bullshit team against another here. Your best option: just stay away. :-DD

Offline CajunSTD2

• Contributor
« Reply #1793 on: December 20, 2019, 12:18:00 am »
New guy here, been reading this for 4 days on and off much to my wifes dismay and had to add my 2 cents.
My wife was exposed to electronics from her dad and brother at a young age, dad was radio electronics tech in Korea
war, brother retired from US Robotics/3Com, the modem company. Grandfather owned a radio/TV repair shop in Kansas.
She had slot cars, chemistry sets, played on computers at LSU in the 70'S when brother was in college and taught she can do anything
and be anything.
Total geek but has no desire to know how electronics work or how to build them just does it work.

17yr old daughter been exposed to STEM from kindergarten, super math wiz, loves chemistry, physics, wants to go into Bio/Chem fields.
Same as her mother, loves everything about electronics that work does not give a damn how or why.
Many of her friends are the same way, electrical engineering is not anything they care about, if you plug it in and it works, Great.

This crap about females not being highly represented in electronic engineering is a fact of life.  They by and large don't F'ing care about
these fields of study and all the governmental and SJW push will not change this!!
Most females are not into STEM, the ones who are get every opportunity. This will not change!!

I am sick of this shit being in the news, social media posts, pushed down our throats!
The world is being run into ground and very few folks see it or will try to stem the tide of "everyone is the same" gender differences are
all in your head, or cultural constructs by oppressive males to hold others down.

The following users thanked this post: daflory

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1794 on: December 20, 2019, 12:59:06 am »
She's "interested in pro-equality science (intersectional/decolonial/queer)"  :o

"Decoloniality or decolonialism is a term used principally by an emerging Latin American movement which focuses on understanding modernity in the context of a form of critical theory applied to ethnic studies and, increasingly, gender and area studies as well"

(Attachment Link)

Speaking of which: "Aussie nurses have to apologise for being white":

I have to ask, can you link to the legislation or document that confirms this. I'd rather not take someones word in this case.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1795 on: December 20, 2019, 09:38:23 am »
Total geek but has no desire to know how electronics work or how to build them just does it work.
Yeah, chicks are totally passionate about everything until you start "mansplaining" shit in gritty detail ;D

Most females are not into STEM, the ones who are get every opportunity. This will not change!!

I am sick of this shit being in the news, social media posts, pushed down our throats!
The world is being run into ground and very few folks see it or will try to stem the tide of "everyone is the same" gender differences are
all in your head, or cultural constructs by oppressive males to hold others down.
You are right and you are wrong. The one word to sum women up is "conformism".
Feminists are right about women, and men are wrong. I unironically predict that if they manage to shove enough "women in tech" into TV, the trend will change. Case in point, see how many feminists exist now after a century of propaganda.

Of course men by that time will be abandoning the industry in masses and looking for new frontiers. Because that's the actual mistake that feminists make: men will always do things that women can't do to impress chicks, courteous ladies will always pretend they can't do those things even if they can to impress men, and feminists will always exist because not every woman knows better or even has a choice in that matter :P

IOW, to really solve gender inequality we need to raise up as a species and ensure that everybody gets a government issued mate and free marital consultations are universally available so that people truly love each other ::)

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1796 on: December 20, 2019, 12:05:32 pm »
Because that's the actual mistake that feminists make: men will always do things that women can't do to impress chicks,

https://youtu.be/H9WJbbGYtyI

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1797 on: December 20, 2019, 01:18:36 pm »
Fun fact.
The top 7 posters in this thread back in October made up nearly 50% of the posts. Today the same 7 posters still make up nearly 50% of the posts. I wonder what it will look like in 12 months time.

Fun Fact. Wilfred is the #1 complaining poster on the forum, particularly when it concerns anything I'm involved in. I wonder if he'll still be here in 12 months time.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1798 on: December 20, 2019, 08:01:15 pm »
Somewhat surprisingly, I haven’t seen any pushback on this yet.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1799 on: December 20, 2019, 09:11:39 pm »
That's because he's outside the echo chamber of utter bell ends.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf