Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 101098 times)

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1800 on: December 20, 2019, 09:26:27 pm »
That's because he's outside the echo chamber of utter bell ends.
Even if the others were outside the echo chamber, they would still be clueless about these issues. Yang seems to have some wacky views about AI, but at least he has some clue about some of the factors involved.

Online ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #1801 on: December 21, 2019, 12:49:50 am »
Fun fact.
The top 7 posters in this thread back in October made up nearly 50% of the posts. Today the same 7 posters still make up nearly 50% of the posts. I wonder what it will look like in 12 months time.

Fun Fact. Wilfred is the #1 complaining poster on the forum, particularly when it concerns anything I'm involved in. I wonder if he'll still be here in 12 months time.

Ban Hammer!   Ban Hammer!

Offline wilfred

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1802 on: December 21, 2019, 02:40:10 am »
Fun fact.
The top 7 posters in this thread back in October made up nearly 50% of the posts. Today the same 7 posters still make up nearly 50% of the posts. I wonder what it will look like in 12 months time.

Fun Fact. Wilfred is the #1 complaining poster on the forum, particularly when it concerns anything I'm involved in. I wonder if he'll still be here in 12 months time.

I wonder that too. Not sure if it will be my choice though.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1803 on: December 21, 2019, 10:09:51 am »
That's because he's outside the echo chamber of utter bell ends.
Even if the others were outside the echo chamber, they would still be clueless about these issues. Yang seems to have some wacky views about AI, but at least he has some clue about some of the factors involved.

I was quite gratified that as far as I could tell, he hasn’t been ostracised for such triggering language. The woke purity merchants are normally over that sort of thing like a rash. Perhaps there is hope after all.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1804 on: December 21, 2019, 10:11:55 am »
Hopefully no one will read this thread and get any ideas.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1805 on: December 21, 2019, 10:30:30 am »
I wonder that too. Not sure if it will be my choice though.
I think the only poster who got banned in this thread so far was windsmurf, who created a second account to post here because he was worried about having the main one banned and ended up looking like he was using sockpuppets to support his own posts ::)
Some people just need to be persecuted, until they are :P
If you think it's a circle jerk then add some of your own jerk to the common pool :D And I do think it is a circlejerk myself, BTW, because I have seen the same thing play out in American software industry already. Social Justice isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I was quite gratified that as far as I could tell, he hasn’t been ostracised for such triggering language. The woke purity merchants are normally over that sort of thing like a rash. Perhaps there is hope after all.
It takes a few viral blog posts to popularize such fads, maybe it hasn't happened yet. And perhaps Yang is a good ally so he gets a pass. There is nothing particularly systematic or predictable about social fads and propaganda wars.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1806 on: December 21, 2019, 11:06:30 pm »

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1807 on: December 22, 2019, 02:48:27 am »

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1808 on: December 22, 2019, 02:55:58 am »
Here is a comment by blogger Jerry Coyne, this covers what happened when someone tried drawing a parallel between 'Diversity, Equity & Inclusion' statements and 1950s era requirements that someone sign a statement to the effect they were not a member of the Communist Party...

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2019/11/24/uc-davis-math-professor-demonized-for-criticizing-required-diversity-statements-for-academic-jobs/

Here is the statement in question.

https://www.ams.org/journals/notices/201911/rnoti-p1778.pdf

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1809 on: December 22, 2019, 09:10:59 am »
:popcorn:

They could have enforced that 1950s oath, now the people who refused to sign it are in charge of their ethics commiettees :-DD

Online TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1810 on: January 01, 2020, 10:06:39 am »
https://www.mindingthecampus.org/2019/12/18/social-justice-ideology-is-damaging-american-values/

SJWs, Minding The Campus - It is impossible to overstate how fierce and sweeping the attack on meritocracy is: every mainstream institution is either furiously revising its standards or finds itself in the crosshairs for failing to do so. The ultimate social-justice solution to the skills and behavior gap is to remove the competition entirely. From the moment children enter school, they are berated for their white privilege if they fall outside a favored victim group. Any success that they enjoy is not due to their own efforts, they are told; it is due to the unfair advantages of a system deliberately designed to handicap minorities. Teachers are now advised to ignore white male students since asking or answering questions in class is another mark of male supremacy. The pariahs are getting the message.

via http://www.woodpilereport.com/html/index-610.htm
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1811 on: January 01, 2020, 11:44:03 am »
American attack on "meritocracy" started when they filled their institutions with diversity hires, culminating in a diversity president and almost a second one in a row because "it's her turn". This is hardly a new phenomenon.

At this point all those people obviously need to justify their existence and obviously they aren't going to wake up one day, conclude that they are idiots and go on unemployment as some libertarians would wish.

It's completely hilarious except for the part that I have not a faintest clue where the world is going at this point.
Happy yet another year, I guess :popcorn:

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1812 on: January 01, 2020, 03:04:16 pm »
Not just related to gender, but for some fun:

https://open.buffer.com/inclusive-language-tech/
 :-DD

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1813 on: January 01, 2020, 03:45:53 pm »

Its hard to tell if that was written seriously or as a joke. The "affirmative terms" vs "negative terms" part is hilarious. The negative terms column has a few genuinely negative terms, but the rest are just minor rewordings of the "affirmative terms" column, using the same core term.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1814 on: January 01, 2020, 03:47:34 pm »
It's serious. I've seen her about before  |O

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1815 on: January 01, 2020, 09:43:03 pm »

Its hard to tell if that was written seriously or as a joke. The "affirmative terms" vs "negative terms" part is hilarious. The negative terms column has a few genuinely negative terms, but the rest are just minor rewordings of the "affirmative terms" column, using the same core term.

Poe's law ...

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1816 on: January 01, 2020, 10:22:32 pm »
LGBTQIA
'nuff said ;D

Neurodiversity: The idea that neurological differences like autism and ADHD are the result of normal, natural variation in the human genome.
Yeah, I met some Aspergeric People™ and knew somebody who worked with Children of Autism™. Totally normal stuff, they would do just fine as cavepersons 10k years ago.
Who even comes up with that stuff :wtf:

18 phrases it might be better to avoid

Hacker: In job descriptions, the term ”hacker” can be tough for many to identify with.
That would be the whole damn point if you ask me. But I agree, it's way overused by people who also shouldn't identify with it.
Never apply for "hacker", "wizard" or "jedi" jobs. And I'm not kidding, people genuinely write offers like that. Software industry is reta neurodiverse.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1817 on: January 02, 2020, 12:06:40 am »
Aspergers and other autistic spectrum disorders are so common among engineers that it could almost be called normal. The description of Aspergers disorder practically describes all of the engineer and scientist stereotypes.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1818 on: January 02, 2020, 10:28:27 am »
Not really, "the spectrum" goes way further than your stereotypical nerd who only talks about science or technology and ends in kids who don't even feel a need to talk about anything at all. You probably wouldn't call that "healthy" or "normal".
Even the milder Asperger's types can have bizarre problems you perhaps wouldn't think possible. For example, imagine avoiding / not giving rat's ass about other people to the extent that you fail to realize that you are doing basic everyday tasks suboptimally or suffering some bodily impairment that makes your life more difficult than it needs to be even though medical mitigation is available.
I also have a relative with some other mental issues who routinely fails to understand other people and ends up having lots of problems because of that.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1819 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:27 pm »
As somebody diagnosed with Asperger's myself, I'm well aware of what it involves. It is as you say a very broad spectrum though, some like myself are quite functional, but I still had a great deal of difficulty with certain things and I was around 25 when diagnosed at which point it struck me that I was just wired differently and see the world differently than most people. Just being aware of that has made things tremendously easier and enabled me to understand to some degree why people respond a certain way to some things even if I don't personally feel the response they do. I still find that most in-person social interactions require a great deal of concentration and effort in order to respond in expected and appropriate ways. Most people seem to pick up social skills naturally, for me it has always been a case of something that is learned through observation.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #1820 on: January 02, 2020, 10:57:46 pm »
Not really, "the spectrum" goes way further than your stereotypical nerd who only talks about science or technology and ends in kids who don't even feel a need to talk about anything at all. You probably wouldn't call that "healthy" or "normal".
Well, IME the "spectrum" of Autism goes even further - to teenagers and adults that are not even potty trained and/or can't establish an interaction with another human being without extensive training from a psychology professional.

The high functional autistic people are the ones that could be considered just quirky or extremely nerdy.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline stefan_trekkie

• Contributor
« Reply #1821 on: January 03, 2020, 10:19:20 pm »
As someone that has worked in few big factories can tell you that 1/3 of engineering stuff are females. BUT .. They sit only on the computers all day long, typing projects and have little to none practical experience and most of the times if they have a new strange problems can't solved by themselves. I see them as clerks or something like that. They are ok in that job. In actual building or repairing of stuff females are extremely rear but had seen a few over the years. In my country we are far away from gender politics but is free.. Everyone can do some job if wants and it is up to it.

About the psycho conditions and disorders .. I have AVPD myself but is not effecting my job it is a more of a personal life nature .. Ok, i talk to my cat ... and my scope  :-DD

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1823 on: January 04, 2020, 10:35:09 am »
There is absolutely no WTF about it when you have situations like a director and lead actor pretending to rape an actress on camera without informing her about that scene in advance in order to make her reactions more genuine. And yes, there actually was a scandal like that some years ago. And yes, of course it happened yet another decade or two prior, but she kept it to herself not to lose her role.

It's never been a secret that Hollywood is a bunch of pervs, pedos and sluts who will put up with anything (and it means: anything >:D) for the sake of their careers. I'm sure there is more of it coming. All those people have been taught by their parents how to behave themselves and they all chose to disregard it and even use their influence to promote a disregard for it. They reap what they sow.

As someone that has worked in few big factories can tell you that 1/3 of engineering stuff are females. BUT .. They sit only on the computers all day long, typing projects and have little to none practical experience and most of the times if they have a new strange problems can't solved by themselves.
That's Marxism-Leninism vs Critical Theory for you.
The former naively believe that Reason™ and Science™ is on their side and that the masses will enthusiastically satisfy all their demands and everything will work out. So they pass a law that women are to be equal and the masses do the lowest effort to satisfy the letter of the law.
The latter |O while watching it and grasp the last straw they possibly can: Science™ and Reason™ is still on our side but it's the Bloody Culture which makes the masses sexists so we need to slowly educate the masses to eradicate any concept of gender.
So you end up with whole generations of women who believe they are worth less if they can't perform on par with men and a whole generation of men who value less women who don't perform on par with men and a whole generation of men who feel guilty about it and all hell breaks loose.

If you think that the Eastern Bloc was a shitshow, that's gonna be the shitshow of all shitshows :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: SerieZ

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1824 on: January 04, 2020, 12:21:43 pm »
It's never been a secret that Hollywood is a bunch of pervs, pedos and sluts who will put up with anything (and it means: anything >:D) for the sake of their careers.
And let's not forget the general public that *pays* to go and see, and actually enjoys, the crap they produce.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 01:12:14 pm by Circlotron »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf