Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 81242 times)

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #950 on: June 24, 2019, 09:52:01 pm »
Not that this is the sole and only truth but there is some value in this and coming from a female CEO it just delivers the message a bit stronger.
The engineering work is just more about stuff then social interaction and life work balance.

https://youtu.be/-Jskcb0RoUE

She makes a lot of generalizations and judgments based on her small sampling, and without analyzing the cultural influences that may have caused this situation to remain. Her statements are evidence of this.
"Girls are just lazy."
"Girls just are not good programmers."
"Girls don't want to get their hands dirty to do the job."
"Most of those girls are just cheating."

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #951 on: June 24, 2019, 10:08:10 pm »
what do cultural influences gphave to do with this? Perhaps good to stick the discussion to a single parameter before it is going nowhere.

A main reason women don't fancy engineering are the companies with their outdated 40 hour workweeks.
It is hard to be for instance a SW engineer for 24 hours a week.
My wife is the only nurse for instance that works 36 hours which is 100% in her job. The rest are 16 - 24 hours jobs. Many woman spent many hours taking care of the kids and the household.
How many hours do we male engineers spent on household tasks besides our 40 hour jobs? Be honest not much probably.

Just saying there are many problems and variables to consider in this discussion.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #952 on: June 24, 2019, 10:16:14 pm »
Yes it was an attachment on reply #909.  Here's a link to the uploaded PDF.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/gender-politics-has-now-infected-engineering-as-well/?action=dlattach;attach=768852
That is one of the more offensive pieces of drivel I have seen on the topic of the need for more women in engineering. It makes various ludicrous claims about the current state of engineering, like engineers are weak on critical thinking, yet offers no solutions. Just a vague magical claim that women would improve things. An engineer who is weak on critical thinking is a bad engineer. They always have been and always will be. Probably the biggest factor which separates the good from the bad engineers is their quality of critical thinking. Women are no better at it, and attempts to train people in critical thinking have had very poor results. It seems to be an innate quality, that can only be refined by training.

"engineers are weak on critical thinking..."
There's no such claim made in that paper. 
What they are saying is that there exist a... " “culture of disengagement” in many college engineering programs (that) does a poor job of training future engineers in their ethical and social responsibilities and cultivates an understanding of nontechnical concerns, such as the public welfare, as irrelevant to “real” engineering work." 
The "critical thinking" to which they refer is in regard to thinking beyond pure engineering work, to thinking about the implications of their work in the real world, including ethical implications and social impact.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #953 on: June 24, 2019, 11:18:54 pm »
what do cultural influences gphave to do with this? Perhaps good to stick the discussion to a single parameter before it is going nowhere.

Cultural and stereotype influences have had a major impact on the lack of women in engineering.
E.g., warmth vs. competence.  From the AAUW paper:
"While men are stereotypically thought of as competent in many domains, women are stereotypically considered to be warm. Competence and warmth are traits that we tend to immediately assign to people we meet, and these traits are often perceived to be in opposition to each other. Because competence is valued in engineering, the requirements for being viewed positively as a technical professional and being viewed positively as a woman are often conflicting. As a result, many women in technical roles report difficulty forging strong identities as engineers or computing professionals, and many female engineers describe an increased pressure to prove themselves. When women emphasize their competent characteristics and effectiveness at work, they often experience backlash for violating the gender stereotype that women are warm, and they are seen as less likeable than men who emphasize the same behaviors, especially in male dominated fields. On the other hand, women seen as warm but not competent are less likely to be respected and more likely to be pitied and socially neglected in the workplace."

Such cultural influences have led to less women pursuing fields in STEM, and those with technical talent that go into STEM choose specific fields that appear to put more emphasis on ethics or social welfare where warmth is part of its value. 

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 11:21:06 pm by windsmurf »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #954 on: June 25, 2019, 01:14:52 am »
Yes it was an attachment on reply #909.  Here's a link to the uploaded PDF.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/gender-politics-has-now-infected-engineering-as-well/?action=dlattach;attach=768852
That is one of the more offensive pieces of drivel I have seen on the topic of the need for more women in engineering. It makes various ludicrous claims about the current state of engineering, like engineers are weak on critical thinking, yet offers no solutions. Just a vague magical claim that women would improve things. An engineer who is weak on critical thinking is a bad engineer. They always have been and always will be. Probably the biggest factor which separates the good from the bad engineers is their quality of critical thinking. Women are no better at it, and attempts to train people in critical thinking have had very poor results. It seems to be an innate quality, that can only be refined by training.

"engineers are weak on critical thinking..."
There's no such claim made in that paper. 
What they are saying is that there exist a... " “culture of disengagement” in many college engineering programs (that) does a poor job of training future engineers in their ethical and social responsibilities and cultivates an understanding of nontechnical concerns, such as the public welfare, as irrelevant to “real” engineering work." 
The "critical thinking" to which they refer is in regard to thinking beyond pure engineering work, to thinking about the implications of their work in the real world, including ethical implications and social impact.
The PDF says:
One significant impediment, according to some scholars, is an emphasis on logical thinking at the expense of critical thinking in engineering culture (Claris & Riley, 2012). Scholars have pointed to a culture in engineering that discourages thinking beyond the technical parameters of a given problem(Cech, 2014).
That reads to me as a claim of critical thinking being deprecated, rather that critical to the role. Its also exactly the opposite of my experience.
Engineering students, for example, are rarely asked to reflect on what they do, why they do it, and what the implications might be (Baillie & Levine, 2013).
That's untrue of engineering students. Its true of working engineers, because they are employed to fulfil the goals of their employer, and if they don't agree with them they'd better keep their mouths shut.
Specifically, the “culture of disengagement” in many college engineering programs does a poor job of training future engineers in their ethical and social responsibilities and cultivates an understanding of non-technical concerns, such as the public welfare, as irrelevant to “real” engineering work (Cech, 2014).
Engineers are generally well aware of the potential consequences of their work. Again, if you want to eat you have to do as you are told, just like most professions.
These elements of engineering culture are not confined to the college environment but persist once engineers enter the workforce, and although they are likely to discourage many women and men from pursuing engineering, they are perhaps especially discouraging for women because women are more likely than men to express a preference for work with a clear social purpose (Konrad et al., 2000).
Really? Most male engineers I have worked with hate work they consider of little value or immoral. Most are quite reluctant to consider roles like sales and marketing, because they consider it difficult to combine honesty with success in those roles. These happen to be two of the most popular areas for female engineers who want to get out of engineering to turn to. There are serious issues of cognitive dissonance among a lot of engineers, both male and female, in areas like defence. Interestingly, while women aren't well represented among CEOs of large companies, 4 of the CEOs of the 5 largest US defence contractors are currently women.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #955 on: June 25, 2019, 01:24:00 am »
What they are saying is that there exist a... " “culture of disengagement” in many college engineering programs (that) does a poor job of training future engineers in their ethical and social responsibilities

Like college classroom education has a prayer of doing that. What little shaping of their morals can still be done, will be done by peer pressure and media, all they'll learn from the lectures is what values to signal for office politics.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #956 on: June 25, 2019, 07:10:58 am »
Cultural and stereotype influences have had a major impact on the lack of women in engineering.
E.g., warmth vs. competence.  From the AAUW paper:
"While men are stereotypically thought of as competent in many domains, women are stereotypically considered to be warm. Competence and warmth are traits that we tend to immediately assign to people we meet, and these traits are often perceived to be in opposition to each other.
Well did you ever had a female manager ?
Warmth is not what I experienced or expected from a manager.
The same with an engineer, I don't expect warmth or friendliness of my colleagues in a meeting or discussing technical issues, I also do not expect loud words, shouting or other emotional expressions.
So I still as an engineer do not understand this cultural thing.

What I do recognize in the workplace is that in general ( and yes this is my perception) the females seek more social contact, drink coffee and take more time. This is a necessary part for them to feel good about their day and job and they admit it. In that case I also find myself often wondering about many colleagues that do not socially interact at all.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #957 on: June 25, 2019, 08:54:00 am »
That's an "aspirational goal" according to BHP CEO and to their website:
"To better reflect the communities in which we work, we have set an aspirational goal to achieve gender balance across BHP by 2025. It’s an aspiration designed to harness the enormous potential that a more inclusive and diverse workplace will deliver at BHP, so we can leave a positive legacy for the generations to come."
https://www.bhp.com/our-approach/work-with-us/inclusion-and-diversity

Aspirational goals are not quotas and sometimes not even realistic.
Unrealistic, you bet. Talking changes nothing, it will take action. If they change anything, it will be by putting pressure on lower management to reach gender parity, and of course any acts of discrimination are against official company policy so the CEO is clear, or by begging random women off the street to join them regardless of competence and the cost to educate them. That's how those initiatives work in practice.

Its designed to attract women to see what BHP might have to offer, when traditionally women would never consider even looking at job opening in the mining industry.
That alone wouldn't change much.

"However, we will not disadvantage anyone. No one's job is under threat because they are male. But we will work to remove the unconscious bias that, in my view, women have been disadvantaged for a very long time in a male-dominated environment. Once we address that, we base decisions on merit, which is how it should be."
Did the CEO also announce a plan to grow their workforce by 100% over the next six years? :bullshit:

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #958 on: June 25, 2019, 11:00:53 am »
Here's how Google fights for gender equality :-DD

It frankly is pathetic and I am not even sure how anybody thought that this particular "predictions" were a good idea, but it's no longer so funny when you realize that they are doing similar things everywhere across their services, also in relation to politics.

Here's a video that Project Veritas published on their "social justice" and "anti-discrimination" practices a few days ago.

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, MrMobodies

Online Siwastaja

• Super Contributor
« Reply #959 on: June 25, 2019, 12:14:14 pm »
Google search is notorious for producing totally hilarious and random predictions, it's an ages old joke. For reference, see example: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/6161567/The-20-funniest-suggestions-from-Google-Suggest.html

They definitely do it on purpose to have some fun.

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #960 on: June 25, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »
The same with an engineer, I don't expect warmth or friendliness of my colleagues in a meeting or discussing technical issues, I also do not expect loud words, shouting or other emotional expressions.

I've had about as many female managers as male. In both cases some have been quite warm and friendly, others not so much. Looking back, I don't really see any correlation between warmth and gender, some of my managers were more friendly than others. None have been particularly bad.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #961 on: June 25, 2019, 03:22:37 pm »

I've had about as many female managers as male. In both cases some have been quite warm and friendly, others not so much. Looking back, I don't really see any correlation between warmth and gender, some of my managers were more friendly than others. None have been particularly bad.
Exactly , so warmth & friendliness are not a gender attribute, its a persons attribute.
So the AAUW paper that "windsmurf" cites has some stereotype bias built in from the start ?  :-//
Many human sciences studies are prooven invalid when repeated, human science is IMO not a hard science since there are billions of unknown human parameters which can not be controlled in any experiment so also can not 100% be repeated scientifically.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #962 on: June 25, 2019, 11:44:08 pm »
Exactly , so warmth & friendliness are not a gender attribute, its a persons attribute.
So the AAUW paper that "windsmurf" cites has some stereotype bias built in from the start ?  :-//
Many human sciences studies are prooven invalid when repeated, human science is IMO not a hard science since there are billions of unknown human parameters which can not be controlled in any experiment so also can not 100% be repeated scientifically.

I think they'll be continuing to further research this topic:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/gender-politics-has-now-infected-engineering-as-well/?action=dlattach;attach=771324

Offline MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #963 on: June 25, 2019, 11:58:35 pm »
Here's how Google fights for gender equality :-DD

It frankly is pathetic and I am not even sure how anybody thought that this particular "predictions" were a good idea, but it's no longer so funny when you realize that they are doing similar things everywhere across their services, also in relation to politics.

Thanks to Adblock I am grateful that I don't get to see any "popups" like those.

I never thought many years ago I'd use it for things like that as I could switch it off or put in parameter that they removed in 2015.

So not only do they force suggestions they try us it to broadcast "social justice" through it.

Trying to dictate about "social justice" when they haven't even finished typing.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #964 on: June 26, 2019, 12:49:44 am »
You guys do realize that the autosuggest phrases aren't curated, but are generated algorithmically? So all of this tin-foil-hat anti-liberal conspiracy theorizing is completely untethered from reality.

Offline MrMobodies

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #965 on: June 26, 2019, 01:24:23 am »
You guys do realize that the autosuggest phrases aren't curated, but are generated algorithmically? So all of this tin-foil-hat anti-liberal conspiracy theorizing is completely untethered from reality.

Okay it was likely coincidence.

I remember when they did do something to the search results after George Bush was Google bombed as a "miserable failure".

https://searchengineland.com/google-kills-bushs-miserable-failure-search-other-google-bombs-10363
Google Kills Bush’s Miserable Failure Search & Other Google Bombs
Danny Sullivan on January 25, 2007 at 11:00 pm

What’s not missing are articles about the Google bombing incident itself, including my own article I wrote back in January 2004 from when I worked at Search Engine Watch. The algorithm change hasn’t impacted these.

This is because the change is designed to stop the pranks from happening rather than legitimate commentary about such activities. Google isn’t saying exactly how this is being done. But Google says it’s done automatically, without any human intervention.

“It’s completely algorithmic,” said Google spam fighting czar Matt Cutts, adding “we’re not going to claim it’s 100 percent perfect.”

Why the change? Too many people are misunderstanding that Google itself is not somehow endorsing the particular views of these bombs. From Google’s statement on the Google Webmaster Central blog about today’s change:

People have asked about how we feel about Googlebombs, and we have talked about them in the past. Because these pranks are normally for phrases that are well off the beaten path, they haven’t been a very high priority for us. But over time, we’ve seen more people assume that they are Google’s opinion, or that Google has hand-coded the results for these Googlebombed queries. That’s not true, and it seemed like it was worth trying to correct that misperception. So a few of us who work here got together and came up with an algorithm that minimizes the impact of many Googlebombs.

So it's automatic in a similar way.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 01:27:07 am by MrMobodies »

Offline daflory

• Contributor
« Reply #966 on: June 26, 2019, 05:17:18 am »

No. It's up to you whether you call it "tuning" or "curation," but Google is very careful to limit what autosuggest is allowed to generate.
Before they stepped in manually, autosuggest come up with very "problematic" suggestions. There was some public outcry about it.
I won't post the algorithmically generated results for "Jews...", "Women...", "Why are blacks...", but you can easily find old screencaps and articles.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #967 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:48 am »
Watch the video I linked and you will see that "hillary clinton email" returns no predictions whatsoever.
Do you think people never search for "hilllary clinton email leak" or "hillary clinton email scandal"? Do you think pranksters didn't search for "hillary clinton emails prove pizzagate" to make it appear in predictions?
Surely they did, but it's all removed because the email affair was supposedly a Russian job and Google has a duty to protect democracy from Putin. Ditto for the "women in tech" and "genders aren't real" stuff, social justice demands it from them.
Everything remotely political on Google platforms is closely monitored and swiftly removed if they think it crosses some line, which they rarely explain btw.
There is nothing neutral and algorithmic about them anymore. They even publicly brag about it and cry that technology companies need to take responsibility and not allow their platforms to be exploited by Patriarchy and Vladimir Putin. The times when Google, Facebook, Twitter and the likes claimed that the world will become a better place and all inequalities will magically disappear if only everybody is given a voice definitely ended a few years ago. And all you need to know it is follow the news and their own press releases. Dunno, lurk Hacker News for a few months if you don't believe. I don't even bother collecting links, I thought it's obvious.

The following users thanked this post: GeorgeOfTheJungle

Online FreezeSSC

• Contributor
« Reply #968 on: June 26, 2019, 12:09:56 pm »
Watch the video I linked and you will see that "hillary clinton email" returns no predictions whatsoever.
Do you think people never search for "hilllary clinton email leak" or "hillary clinton email scandal"? Do you think pranksters didn't search for "hillary clinton emails prove pizzagate" to make it appear in predictions?
Surely they did, but it's all removed because the email affair was supposedly a Russian job and Google has a duty to protect democracy from Putin. Ditto for the "women in tech" and "genders aren't real" stuff, social justice demands it from them.
Everything remotely political on Google platforms is closely monitored and swiftly removed if they think it crosses some line, which they rarely explain btw.
There is nothing neutral and algorithmic about them anymore. They even publicly brag about it and cry that technology companies need to take responsibility and not allow their platforms to be exploited by Patriarchy and Vladimir Putin. The times when Google, Facebook, Twitter and the likes claimed that the world will become a better place and all inequalities will magically disappear if only everybody is given a voice definitely ended a few years ago. And all you need to know it is follow the news and their own press releases. Dunno, lurk Hacker News for a few months if you don't believe. I don't even bother collecting links, I thought it's obvious.

if only they had a way to measure search history...

oh wait they do.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F0130gw45,hillary%20clinton

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #969 on: June 26, 2019, 02:00:23 pm »

Benevolent sexism also protects them. It makes men protective and avoids a completely capitalist reckoning of the cost of their differences to men.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #970 on: June 26, 2019, 02:06:14 pm »
My wife is the only nurse for instance that works 36 hours which is 100% in her job. The rest are 16 - 24 hours jobs. Many woman spent many hours taking care of the kids and the household.

The availability of part time work is a large driver in fertility BTW. You really want women to be able to work part time, with structurally lower pay (even per hour, a full time employee is simply more valuable). Because the alternative is even less kids.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:08:07 pm by Marco »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #971 on: June 26, 2019, 06:52:41 pm »
I keep seeing mentioned in various pro equality-of-outcome sources that a gender balance improves overall productivity, but then I don't see much in the way of justification for the statement.

This is quite a key claim. Can anyone point me to sources of how this statement is validated?

Edit: to be clear, I don't know _anyone_ who has a problem of women, or indeed anyone with any other particular immutable characteristic, in the commercial STEM workplace. The problem would certainly come when individuals aren't there purely by merit, instead gaining an unfair advantage by dint of their immutable characteristics.

But I haven't stepped foot in academia since 1986. Perhaps the reason that this has become so "problematic" at universities is precisely because they've become so completely obsessed with these characteristics, to the extent where they primarily judge people on is gender, race, and disabliity, with merit becoming very much a secondary feature. That doesn't sound good to me at all, that sounds like a lot of words ending in "ist" to me. It sounds very much like a self fulfilling prophecy.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 07:12:17 pm by Howardlong »

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • Banned!
« Reply #972 on: June 26, 2019, 07:07:59 pm »
I keep seeing mentioned in various pro equality-of-outcome sources that a gender balance improves overall productivity, but then I don't see much in the way of justification for the statement.

This is quite a key claim. Can anyone point me to sources of how this statement is validated?

Who is advocating for equality of outcome? 

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #973 on: June 26, 2019, 07:17:45 pm »

Who is advocating for equality of outcome?

Various academic studies, mostly from the humanities and educational segments. I don't very often see the writers advocating for equality of outcome being real engineers. There's a bizarre Dept of Engineering Education at Virginia Tech that has bugger all to do with engineering as far as I can see, sadly making an example of the old adage of "those who can, do, those who can't, teach".

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #974 on: June 26, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »

No. It's up to you whether you call it "tuning" or "curation," but Google is very careful to limit what autosuggest is allowed to generate.
Before they stepped in manually, autosuggest come up with very "problematic" suggestions. There was some public outcry about it.
I won't post the algorithmically generated results for "Jews...", "Women...", "Why are blacks...", but you can easily find old screencaps and articles.
Tuning and curating aren't the same thing. Sure, they constantly tune the algorithms, and for sure they have "blacklists" of terms that are expressly removed from autocompletion. But curating means carefully hand-picking a smaller number of items from a much larger set, and that's something Google definitely does not do -- there's nobody sitting there building a list of suggestions.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf