Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 70684 times)

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #725 on: January 06, 2019, 05:19:12 pm »
We have a new problem of Y2K proportions.

I’m a little worried that the 8 bit field I allocated for Gender on a database design from 25 years ago might not be enough.

there are 689 genders

https://spectator.us/louis-ck-ok/

The following users thanked this post: nardev, Circlotron, Beamin

Offline nardev

• Supporter
« Reply #726 on: January 06, 2019, 05:43:57 pm »

I’m a little worried that the 8 bit field I allocated for Gender on a database design from 25 years ago might not be enough.

there are 689 genders

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

|O |O |O

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #727 on: January 06, 2019, 06:18:52 pm »

there are 689 genders

Best post in this thread possibly one of the best on this forum!

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #728 on: January 06, 2019, 07:42:07 pm »
My favourite quote:

It’s not rocket surgery!!!

:-DD

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2019, 03:08:44 am »
oh great.
lobster daddy video links, and some lame unimaginative parody article that sounds like it was written by someone who hasn't left their parent's basement in 4 decades.

keep up your status quo warrior virtue signalling echo chamber, guys...

Offline nardev

• Supporter
« Reply #730 on: January 07, 2019, 03:30:52 am »
oh great.
lobster daddy video links, and some lame unimaginative parody article that sounds like it was written by someone who hasn't left their parent's basement in 4 decades.

what?

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #731 on: January 07, 2019, 08:57:57 am »
oh great.

Surely this is this satire? It's hard to tell!

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #732 on: January 07, 2019, 09:13:11 am »
oh great.

What are you referring to? This thread is 30 pages long and I dare not rereading it. 10 pages are just about the trans people on here not even relative to the topic. .

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #734 on: January 13, 2019, 03:36:33 am »
oh great.

What are you referring to? This thread is 30 pages long and I dare not rereading it.

Someone posted on-topic videos from a well respected researcher and professor of psychology, but it happens to be Jordan Peterson, so cue the rage machine.
Someone also posted a link to a parody article on the gender topic, so cue more of the rage machine.

This "rage machine" is the real problem these days, it doesn't allow for any civil discourse.
You can't even post something that may be completely relevant and otherwise good from a given news site, because, well, more rage machine just because it's that website, absolutely no attempt made the judge anything on it's individual  merits any more.
Things aren't taken on a case-by-case basis any more, people just have pure hatred for someone or some company now and as a result everything they say is branded equally bad regardless of what it is.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 03:41:36 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: tom66, Howardlong, george.b, james_s, Beamin

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #735 on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:19 am »
100% agree. The insanely stupid rage machine thrives these days.

Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #736 on: January 13, 2019, 04:29:31 am »
oh great.

What are you referring to? This thread is 30 pages long and I dare not rereading it.

Someone posted on-topic videos from a well respected researcher and professor of psychology, but it happens to be Jordan Peterson, so cue the rage machine.
Someone also posted a link to a parody article on the gender topic, so cue more of the rage machine.

This "rage machine" is the real problem these days, it doesn't allow for any civil discourse.
You can't even post something that may be completely relevant and otherwise good from a given news site, because, well, more rage machine just because it's that website, absolutely no attempt made the judge anything on it's individual  merits any more.
Things aren't taken on a case-by-case basis any more, people just have pure hatred for someone or some company now and as a result everything they say is branded equally bad regardless of what it is.

exactly. I guess that's not just a 'murica problem.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #737 on: January 16, 2019, 06:11:16 am »
Send in your story:
https://stemfeminist.com/

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #738 on: January 16, 2019, 08:13:53 am »
Hopefully this is not a repost.

Jordan B Peterson - Interview with the grievance studies hoaxers

An interesting deconstruction of the mindset of the SJW/leftist cult in academia.

Another erudite critic of the SJW intellectual garbage, is Thomas Sowell. I highly recommend his talks.
Relevant:
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #739 on: January 16, 2019, 08:15:13 am »
Send in your story:
https://stemfeminist.com/

I am sorely tempted to place a couple of true stories where women work colleagues have used inappropriate sexist behaviour against me that was unnecessary and uncomfortable.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #740 on: January 16, 2019, 07:40:44 pm »
I am sorely tempted to place a couple of true stories where women work colleagues have used inappropriate sexist behaviour against me that was unnecessary and uncomfortable.

Can I get a job at your place?

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Offline julianhigginson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #741 on: January 17, 2019, 05:20:38 am »
Someone posted on-topic videos from a well respected researcher and professor of psychology,

you misspelled "well respected ex-researcher and professor of psychology with a new Patreon career that gets paid to talk about philosophies he doesn't understand in order to make angry scared losers feel better about their lives, and act as a bridge between everyday entitled status quo warriors and actual right wing hate groups."

but it happens to be Jordan Peterson, so cue the rage machine.

that's a ridiculous claim, please stop it with the gaslighting. who's enraged here? If anything, I'm disappointed.

Disappointed that people could be so dull (or so quick to defend anything that validates their existing worldview, no matter how lousy it is on close inspection) - To think lobster daddy has much of value to say on anything outside of psychology, when he shows time and time again to have a fundamental lack of understanding of things he croaks on about (namely marxism, postmodernism, the reality of human gender, "western culture", and pretty much everything else he accidentally says something concrete about)

You want to talk about rage machines?  Go check out a bunch of guys just this week reacting to a commercial for disposable razors.

Come to think of it, have a read of what happened to Cathy Newman - the presenter who did that stupid interview with him last year and had lots of lobster daddy fan rage unleashed on her (and he never denounced this by the way, so...)

The parody was just boring, obvious, and poor quality. it says nothing that hasn't been joked about equally poorly by borish losers since forever.
so really exactly the sort of thing to go alongside a bunch of grown men totally ignoring evidence of decades of actual women being illegally excluded from a career as a doctor, while screaming testerically about some magazine they never read deciding to do one particular issue where there's be no chance to talk about them in that one issue.. or some "scholarship" that is only available to something like two women a year, and nobody in their right mind would even want to be eligible for, letalone win...

that claim is patently wrong. Plenty of people have legitimate complaints about lobster daddy, but what happens is a handful of people who are overreacting and upset get selected by his fans (and him) as representatives of what everyone who is against him is like.

lobster daddy says some reasonable things, sure...  a lot of what he says is perfectly reasonable. he's also quite earnest, and actually believes what he's working towards. most people who are angry with him aren't angry with *most* of what he says.

My issue is, he's also consistently dishonest.
Right from his very first burst of publicity where he used an attack on trans people to get famous and paint himself as a dangerous devil-may care maverick, making claims about a new law and croaking on about how he was going to go to prison for saying what he was saying, but he didn't care because it was so important to say it - all the while there was nothing in the law for that to happen.

Then he's also repeatedly "conservative value signalling" to status quo warriors (that ridiculous garbage about "forced monogamy" being one instance) then stepping back and "that's not what I meant"-ing his way out of it when people take him to task... meanwhile his patrons feel validated and entitled and keep paying him money to stroke their poor bruised egos as they limp through their mediocre lives... that's what most of the actual anger about lobster daddy comes from. because i can see exactly why the people he's demeaning and discrediting when he does this would be angered by it. It's almost as if he does it to deliberately make a few people angry so he can highlight those peoples overreactions and tell the world how cool and calm and reasonable he is, between all the "that's not what I meant"s...

Lobster Daddy is just Deepak Chopra, but for angry/sad mediocre man-children and lost teens.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #742 on: January 17, 2019, 06:18:51 am »
Lobster Daddy is just Deepak Chopra, but for angry/sad mediocre man-children and lost teens.

I'm not going to bother responding to any of your waffle, as you say something incorrect in almost every sentence (which is a very impressive feat  BTW), I'd be here all day correcting you and it's not worth my time.
*plonk*

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Howardlong, Nominal Animal

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #743 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:24 am »
Are you sure this wasn't a parody? Smells very much like it.

angry scared losers
entitled status quo warriors
actual right wing hate groups
gaslighting
enraged
disappointed
lobster daddy
fundamental lack of understanding
marxism
postmodernism
rage machines
disposable razors
Cathy Newman
lobster daddy
rage
poor quality
borish losers
ignoring evidence
women being illegally excluded
"scholarship"
nobody in their right mind
"rage machine"
rage machine
lobster daddy
overreacting
upset
lobster daddy
angry
angry
consistently dishonest
attack on trans people
dangerous devil-may care maverick
croaking on
prison
"conservative value signalling"
status quo warriors
ridiculous garbage
"forced monogamy"
bruised egos
limp through their mediocre lives
anger
lobster daddy
demeaning
discrediting
angered
angry
overreactions
Lobster Daddy
angry/sad mediocre man-children

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, daqq, maginnovision, Nominal Animal

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #744 on: January 18, 2019, 12:55:50 am »
Are you sure this wasn't a parody? Smells very much like it.

Poe's law

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #745 on: January 18, 2019, 02:36:37 am »
I am genuinely puzzled about why people reject rational thinking and instead run ideology or dogma in their minds instead.   :-//

Even the people I know through and through, all have blind spots in their thinking.  In the best cases, it's just something they are absolutely not interested in, but in some cases, it is like they refuse to apply rational thinking in some specific subject, even when they have already demonstrated significant ability with a rather similar subject.  It is like dogma or ideology sit perfectly into those spots in peoples' minds.

(Some even consider me damaged, because I'm open and critical about those spots in my own mind. As if admitting to it makes me somehow less.  I do not understand; I believe admitting and working on ones own flaws is commendable.)

Fear and anger are really not a real part of this.  There is nothing that connects to fight-or-flight reflexes that I can see.  It looks like labeling others' motives based on negative emotive concepts is just an easy tool to avoid engaging in meaningful discussion and examining the concepts, by claiming not to be encumbered by those negative emotions and labeling the entire topic irrelevant.

A lot of what Jordan B. Peterson talks about, is how to adopt certain ideas to sit in those spots for ones own benefit, allowing for a happier, more fulfilling life.  He talks a lot about religion and myths, and how those, essentially, describe the concepts that run in those mind spots to positive effect.

It does fit, and is obviously intended only to help people.  Almost all objections I've seen seem singularly dogmatic.  The rest ignore the intent, and instead tear at the analogies and approaches, showing how they are imperfect and faulty, without showing any alternatives, anything better.  Purely negative criticism is not useful, because it does not allow any path for performing better; it just shows that the current path is not perfect.  Yet, nothing real is perfect.

I know there are theories that suggest that certain type of ideas are actually infectious, but I wonder how that could be, considering how recent (evolutionarily speaking) speech and language is.  It's weird.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #746 on: January 18, 2019, 04:18:46 am »
Precisely, Nominal. The day I see his critics positively affect so many lives around the world, I will start to believe they are probably onto something. Until then, it doesn't go beyond indoctrinated posturing.

As anecdotal evidence, I have heard dozens of horror stories of people that descended to hell and came back; none of them came back by fleeing personal responsibility and subcontracting their duties.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #747 on: January 18, 2019, 09:48:48 am »
I am genuinely puzzled about why people reject rational thinking and instead run ideology or dogma in their minds instead.
If you were sufficiently rational and analytical it wouldn't puzzle you at all. :) The human mind has evolved for ideology and dogma, as they are good for survival in the wild. Rationality is a very recent, and as yet poorly developed, aspect of the human brain. Before the earliest attempts at agriculture, a rational mind probably wouldn't have benefited a person's survival at all.

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #748 on: January 18, 2019, 10:11:19 am »
Before the earliest attempts at agriculture, a rational mind probably wouldn't have benefited a person's survival at all.
Hogwash.  Hunter-gatherers required much more rational thought and keen observation than those involved in agriculture, where learning by rote and listening to your parents and doing what they did sufficed.  In the subarctic regions (that at least in Finland, were populated as soon as the last ice age ended), an irrational mind would not survive for long.  You had to understand complex relationships, and make logical deductions.  In agriculture, you do as you're told, and you'll survive. Usually.

Anyway, I probably should have written "I am genuinely puzzled about why people demonstrably capable of rational thinking reject rational thinking, and instead run ideology or dogma in their minds instead".  I have no issue with people who just are not capable of rational thought in any context (except for those who posture they do, but then I hate posers anyway).  It is the ones that are capable of, but reject rational thought, that puzzle me the most.

I do also believe that the human capability of rational thought and true intelligence is being bred out of the species, ever since the rise of urbanization (because rational thought is no longer required, nor useful for survival and having progeny), and wonder whether that belief is correct.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #749 on: January 18, 2019, 11:01:24 am »
Before the earliest attempts at agriculture, a rational mind probably wouldn't have benefited a person's survival at all.
Hogwash.  Hunter-gatherers required much more rational thought and keen observation than those involved in agriculture, where learning by rote and listening to your parents and doing what they did sufficed.  In the subarctic regions (that at least in Finland, were populated as soon as the last ice age ended), an irrational mind would not survive for long.  You had to understand complex relationships, and make logical deductions.  In agriculture, you do as you're told, and you'll survive. Usually.
The survival needs of a human hunter gatherer's life are little different from any other hunter gatherer animal's life. Do you think they are all applying high levels of rational thought in order to survive? The key thing needed for survival in the wild is sharp senses and fast instinctive reactions to what shows up in those senses. Rational analysis is so slow it will leave you dead before you've reacted at all. Instinctive reactions lead to all sorts of false positives as we try to cope with potential dangers, but they ensure we usually react in time. Think through what is happening there, and you'll find the roots of a lot of unfortunate human behaviour. Most of the results from modern experiments in human behaviour indicate that much of what we consider rational behaviour is just post hoc rationalisation of decisions already made by instinctive processes.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf