Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 107161 times)

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1500 on: September 18, 2019, 07:01:04 pm »
On that subject, there is not a word "womansplain" whereas there is a word "mansplain"  :palm:
This little exchange in the Australian Parliament a while back was good.

https://youtu.be/ZOXh5repOWI

The word "mansplaining" is condescending in itself.

Any woman who uses it is therefore "womansplaining".

"Mansplain" is nothing more than a word to shut somebody down and tell them their opinion is invalid under the guise of not being sexist. It is extremely condescending and sexist.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1501 on: September 18, 2019, 07:12:33 pm »
"Mansplain" is nothing more than a word to shut somebody down and tell them their opinion is invalid under the guise of not being sexist. It is extremely condescending and sexist.

I hadn't heard of this term until recently. I guess I'll need to brush up on my feminism. ::)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1502 on: September 19, 2019, 12:25:12 am »
The word "mansplaining" is condescending in itself.

I propose a new term for using it, "matronizing".

Picture the exchange:
Woman: "Gee, thanks for mansplaining that to me" (snork)

Man: "Hey, at least I was making an effort, but thanks for matronizing me."

What do you think?  :popcorn:

nb. It should rhyme with "patronizing", ie. it's not "may"tronizing.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:28:47 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1503 on: September 19, 2019, 07:59:13 am »
How about we avoid having a term for it thus maintaining the ethical high ground.

Honestly in a professional environment I’d probably just say “discussion over”, walk away and flick the metaphorical match into the pool of spilled fuel.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1504 on: September 19, 2019, 02:25:06 pm »
How about we avoid having a term for it thus maintaining the ethical high ground.

Honestly in a professional environment I’d probably just say “discussion over”, walk away and flick the metaphorical match into the pool of spilled fuel.

How about in the pub after that meeting?

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1505 on: September 19, 2019, 02:48:06 pm »
Yeah. That's where you get the fuel for the fire  :-DD

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1506 on: September 19, 2019, 08:28:41 pm »
That wasn't me saying wimps... it was the firefighters, I swear!
Haha ok sorry I thought it was humorous, but my apologies if I offended anyone. 
I see my attempt at humorous irony didn't quite work the way I'd planned with some folks.
Assuming anyone here is offended rather than just pointing out the hypocrisy and lack of empathy and self-awareness of the leftists ;)

Join the dark side, man. We have cookies. And lulz :D

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1507 on: September 19, 2019, 08:54:25 pm »

I agree. For one, the sexist ideologues that use the word mansplain WANT people to conflate ideology with some immutable characteristic. In this case it's sex, but could be race, ethnicity, religion etc.

Imagine a group of racial ideologues who have a slur for another racial group. You wouldn't fight that by creating a slur against the racial group that the ideologues belong to.

All that does is play into their hands by reinforcing a division. By all means ironically mock the term to show their hypocrisy, but otherwise don't stoop to their level.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1508 on: September 19, 2019, 10:00:35 pm »
I agree. For one, the sexist ideologues that use the word mansplain WANT people to conflate ideology with some immutable characteristic. In this case it's sex, but could be race, ethnicity, religion etc.
It’s like when a community experiences a large influx of people with religious practices that some in the community don’t like. They complain about this and they are told they are being racist. Actually being racist is wrong, but those complaining are labelled such even though race is totally not the issue.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1509 on: September 19, 2019, 10:55:15 pm »
It’s like when a community experiences a large influx of people with religious practices that some in the community don’t like. They complain about this and they are told they are being racist. Actually being racist is wrong, but those complaining are labelled such even though race is totally not the issue.

Not to sidetrack the thread but the word "race", I think due to American influence, seems to be losing its original meaning of "people" or "culture". In America it became associated to biological origin and now that is spreading to other cultures and languages. There are books on the history of the Irish race. I suppose languages evolve and it can't be helped but complaining about other peoples or cultures is being racist in the basic sense of the word.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1510 on: September 19, 2019, 10:57:58 pm »
Okay. I was thinking about race purely in the biological sense.
———
Back to the topic.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1511 on: September 19, 2019, 11:09:10 pm »
Not to sidetrack the thread but the word "race", I think due to American influence, seems to be losing its original meaning of "people" or "culture". In America it became associated to biological origin and now that is spreading to other cultures and languages.
I don't think that is correct. When someone in the US criticises Islam the usual response is others screaming racist.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1512 on: September 19, 2019, 11:13:47 pm »
In Spain gender politics has infected every aspect of life. Every day the TV news dedicate a disproportionate amount of time to "male sexist violence" and the whole thing has gotten out of hand but it is better to lay low or one will be accused of condoning and fomenting and defending "male sexist violence".

Today political parties demonstrated in front of city hall against "male sexist violence".  The extreme right wing party Vox had their own sign to the side condemning all violence, not just male violence, and they were vilified by pretty much everybody.

Also today a women was found guilty of killing the eight year old son of her lover. No mention of feminist or female violence. It was only one person who happens to be female.

All men are being presumed to be dangerous, if not guilty.

Kind of funny story I heard a couple years ago. A man would go to a playground and mill about. All mothers would not keep their eyes off him because what is a lone man doing in a children's playground? In the meanwhile a woman would steal handbags, phones and other belongings.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1513 on: September 20, 2019, 12:57:53 am »

Not to sidetrack the thread but the word "race", I think due to American influence, seems to be losing its original meaning of "people" or "culture". In America it became associated to biological origin and now that is spreading to other cultures and languages. There are books on the history of the Irish race. I suppose languages evolve and it can't be helped but complaining about other peoples or cultures is being racist in the basic sense of the word.

In the U.S. its usually "skin color" or #3, and then the 1st definition below that people think of, but it really includes 7 and 8 as well.

race
1. - a group of persons related by common descent or heredity.
2. - a population so related.
3. * Anthropology -(no longer in technical use) any of the traditional divisions of humankind, the commonest being the Caucasian, Mongoloid, and Negro, characterized by supposedly distinctive and universal physical characteristics.
4. - an arbitrary classification of modern humans, sometimes, especially formerly, based on any or a combination of various physical characteristics, as skin color, facial form, or eye shape, and now frequently based on such genetic markers as blood groups.
5. - a socially constructed category of identification based on physical characteristics, ancestry, historical affiliation, or shared culture:
          Her parents wanted her to marry within her race.
6. - a human population partially isolated reproductively from other populations, whose members share a greater degree of physical and genetic similarity with one another than with other humans.
7. - a group of tribes or peoples forming an ethnic lineage:
          the Slavic race.
8. - any people united by common history, language, cultural traits, etc.:
          the Dutch race.
9. - the human race or family; humankind:
          Nuclear weapons pose a threat to the race.
10. - Zoology. a variety; subspecies.  a natural kind of living creature:
          the race of fishes.
11. - any group, class, or kind, especially of persons:
          Journalists are an interesting race.
12. - the characteristic taste or flavor of wine.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:59:59 am by windsmurf »

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1514 on: September 20, 2019, 02:02:51 am »
13. - the rat race.

Online maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1515 on: September 20, 2019, 02:05:16 am »
It's just identity politics, it doesn't matter what you are they're gonna put you with one of a few groups and that's your race/religion/way of thinking. I think they have an ideal of what that group would be but it's totally divorced from what the group actually is and mostly irrelevant. Like when the SJW's call black americans white supremacists. It's absolutely retarded but it makes sense to them because them being black doesn't mean anything it's all about how they think.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1516 on: September 20, 2019, 06:24:45 am »
Let's try to not sidetrack the thread. Let's stay on track.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1517 on: September 22, 2019, 11:21:25 am »

The following users thanked this post: Howardlong, bd139, Nominal Animal, soldar

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1518 on: October 01, 2019, 10:16:12 am »
Page 3: https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/files/public/socialstudies/pubdocs/Math%20SDS%20ES%20Framework.pdf

Some selected top kwality self-serving nonsense for your delectation.

Where does Power and Oppression
show up in our math experiences?

● Can you recognize and name
oppressive mathematical
practices in your experience?
● Why/how does data-driven
processes prevent liberation?

Formal vs Informal Mathematics
● What fears do we have about
math?
● What is it that is feared?
 Where did these fears originate?
● Why do they persist?
● How do we disrupt these fears?

How is math manipulated to allow
inequality and oppression to persist?

● Who is doing the oppressing?
● Who does the oppression
protect? Who does this
oppression harm?
● Where is there an opportunity to
examine systemic oppression?
● How can math help us
understand the impact of
economic conditions and
systems that contribute to
poverty and slave labor?

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1519 on: October 01, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »
That is from a political commissars training guide from the USSR, I believe.

Wait, no; scientists in the USSR had chaperones (Putin used to be one) instead, as science was too important to fuck with.

I guess that is from the "How to grow inept fragile political victim flowers with no danger of ever accomplishing anything physical" guide instead.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1520 on: October 01, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »
Formal vs Informal Mathematics
● What fears do we have about
math?
● What is it that is feared?
 Where did these fears originate?
● Why do they persist?
● How do we disrupt these fears?
Holy moly, I never realized how harsh Post Trigonometric Stress Disorder can be on those poor humanists :scared:
Gotta check my privilege ;D

Erm, wait. That's not gender this time but some "ethnic" bs.

Power and oppression, as defined by ethnic studies, are the ways in which individuals and groups define mathematical knowledge so as to see “Western” mathematics as the only legitimate expression of mathematical identity and intelligence. This definition of ​legitimacy is then used to disenfranchise​ people and communities of color. This ​erases the historical contributions of people and communities of color.
This is funny on so many levels it's not even funny.

Online fourfathom

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1521 on: October 01, 2019, 05:18:22 pm »
Many of those questions (in the Seattle social studies document) are actually legitimate; recognizing where math is used to (for example) set insurance and loan rates based on statistical factors which often include regions in a city.  This leads to race-correlated policy.  We can argue whether this is proper (note that I said "correlated").

Other portions of the  document are quite stupid, and I hope that nobody who believes this tripe even ends up in a position of importance.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1522 on: October 01, 2019, 06:36:09 pm »
Other portions of the  document are quite stupid, and I hope that nobody who believes this tripe even ends up in a position of importance.
I don't know, man. These files look like some official curriculum or something :-//
https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/files/public/socialstudies/pubdocs/ELA%20SDS%20ES%20Framework.pdf

And I have nothing against it, by the way. It's clear that Americans want to find out to what extent the various inequalities are self-perpetuating or caused by pre-existing conditions. Americans love science and the only way to scientifically verify theses put forth by social progress activists is the hard way >:D

Online maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1523 on: October 01, 2019, 07:58:57 pm »
More and more Americans just seem to believe in the science they like. If they don't like it it's either fake news or some sort of conspiracy. Even science has to bend to the will of the society that uses it.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1524 on: October 01, 2019, 08:01:25 pm »
What is informal mathematics anyway?

How about informal surgery? I wonder how those people feel about it. :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf