Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 111617 times)

trcm, EEVblog and 101 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1525 on: October 01, 2019, 08:36:21 pm »
More and more Americans just seem to believe in the science they like. If they don't like it it's either fake news or some sort of conspiracy. Even science has to bend to the will of the society that uses it.

It’s frankly difficult to believe that 50 years ago, the US landed men on the moon when you read this regressive nonsense.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: October 01, 2019, 09:24:20 pm »
More and more Americans just seem to believe in the science they like. If they don't like it it's either fake news or some sort of conspiracy. Even science has to bend to the will of the society that uses it.

It’s frankly difficult to believe that 50 years ago, the US landed men on the moon when you read this regressive nonsense.

It's just the way things are here right now. Emotions are more important than literally everything else. So if science offends anyone it needs to change. It seems to be infecting the whole world little by little. I can't think of anywhere that isn't moving in that direction so I just ignore it all and focus on my family.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: October 01, 2019, 11:14:23 pm »
What is informal mathematics anyway?
Probably includes imaginary numbers.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:19:30 pm by Circlotron »

The following users thanked this post: retrolefty, Gregg

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1528 on: October 01, 2019, 11:25:47 pm »
Informal math is math based on casual observation but not backed by proofs or rigorous analysis; i.e., non-scientific math use.

The term is used to de-colonize the white oppression from mathematics.  You know, because science is oppressive.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1530 on: October 01, 2019, 11:40:18 pm »
Informal math is math based on casual observation but not backed by proofs or rigorous analysis; i.e., non-scientific math use.
The term is used to de-colonize the white oppression from mathematics.  You know, because science is oppressive.

30 years ago you would have been branded a nutjub for saying that. Now it gets you a blue checkmark on Twitter, social influence, and a say in our school system.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: October 01, 2019, 11:57:24 pm »

Its not just the US. Its the entire English speaking world, apart from India. People in other countries either scratch their heads in puzzlement, or laugh.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1532 on: October 02, 2019, 12:15:10 am »
NEWS: Casio have released a new model scientific calculator, the FX-PROBLEMATIC

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:46:11 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: October 02, 2019, 12:32:21 am »
I can't wait to decolonize pi. The possibilities that will be opened up will change the world!

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: October 02, 2019, 12:49:26 am »
I wonder if they'll decolonize checking homework, too.  After all, checking is a violent act (consider ice hockey).

BTW, I just decolonized a pie I ate earlier.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: October 02, 2019, 01:01:41 am »

Casual observation is not mathematics. You can call dancing mathematics otherwise. Or peeing. Or cooking. Or fishing. Endless.
Sure when words have no meaning, everything can be everything. And conversely. :-DD

I was not giving the surgery example by chance. If you send those people to an "informal surgeon", I'm pretty sure they'll quickly want a very formal, and all oppressive one, to get the job done.

How about decolonizing mind-fucking stupidity? Now that would be a real change.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: October 02, 2019, 01:03:22 am »
NEWS: Casio have released a new model scientific calculator, the FX-PROBLEMATIC

That was a good one.  :-DD

Let's release informal calculators. You want to know the circonference of a circle? It's like about 6 times the line that about runs between about the "middle" of it and... and the outside, right? Is there such a thing as a circle anyway? Things in nature look pretty ovalish.

Is that informal math talk? :-DD
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:06:53 am by SiliconWizard »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: October 02, 2019, 01:03:59 am »
The term is used to de-colonize the white oppression from mathematics.
Don't we need to decolonize the Indian oppression from mathematics? They started it. Westerners are just pawns in their game.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: October 02, 2019, 01:09:31 am »
Don't we need to decolonize the Indian oppression from mathematics? They started it. Westerners are just pawns in their game.
Oh, no: it is sociologically proven that only whites can be oppressors.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: October 02, 2019, 01:21:45 am »
Oh, no: it is sociologically proven that only whites can be oppressors.

He must mean reverse oppression. Shame.

Offline magic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: October 02, 2019, 06:43:28 am »
I think I have already ranted about it. You wanted science in politics, you now have politics in science. These used to be two completely different processes and it wasn't SJWs who first mixed them up.

And really, Americans spent the last half-century telling everyone that
1. race is just different skin colors, like there are eye colors
2. America treats everyone by individual merit
3. Meritocracy™ guarantees that in the long run any eye- or skin-color related status differences will disappear
4. Science™ proves all of the above
5. Science™ is right

:bullshit: Given the state of America, obviously all of that cannot be true, so nice that somebody calls 'em out :-+

And guess what, I wouldn't even care. And I don't care how they will solve that paradox. But they also run around the world claiming that their biggest problem is somehow their "strength" and insisting that everybody becomes America.

So yeah, I care. Pay up your reparations whitey and don't forget that your ancestors busied themselves chasing aurochses when African Americans built the pyramids and knew π to two decimal places.
:-DD

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: October 04, 2019, 10:31:01 pm »
Now Stack Overflow is imploding due to (secret) Code of Conduct / gender pronouns issue. (I use the word "imploding", because many subsites are down to a single moderator, with some without any moderators at all.)

Apparently, the new, unpublished CoC demands people use preferred pronouns, as gender-neutral language is deemed offensive; and questioning about it, ie. asking if continuing to use gender neutral language would be ok, lead to the firing a moderator, Monica Cellio.

Hey Elon!  Do you need a janitor on Mars?  I can do code and systems maintenance, but if you give me a seat, I'll do sewage pipe maintenance if needed.  Just get me off this planet!  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: October 04, 2019, 10:57:38 pm »
From an article published in 'The Atlantic Magazine'...

Carranza has mandated anti-bias training for every employee of the school system, at a cost of $23 million. One training slide was titled “White Supremacy Culture.” It included “Perfectionism,” “Individualism,” “Objectivity,” and “Worship of the Written Word” among the white-supremacist values that need to be disrupted. In the name of exposing racial bias, the training created its own kind.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/10/when-the-culture-war-comes-for-the-kids/596668/

Want to have an electrician who's been subjected to that check your wiring?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: October 04, 2019, 11:01:51 pm »
Now Stack Overflow is imploding due to (secret) Code of Conduct / gender pronouns issue. (I use the word "imploding", because many subsites are down to a single moderator, with some without any moderators at all.)

Apparently, the new, unpublished CoC demands people use preferred pronouns, as gender-neutral language is deemed offensive; and questioning about it, ie. asking if continuing to use gender neutral language would be ok, lead to the firing a moderator, Monica Cellio.

Hey Elon!  Do you need a janitor on Mars?  I can do code and systems maintenance, but if you give me a seat, I'll do sewage pipe maintenance if needed.  Just get me off this planet!  :palm:
Stack Exchange has always been in stiff competition with Wikipedia to be ranked as the most contentious platform on the internet. This development isn't much of a surprise.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1544 on: October 05, 2019, 03:42:41 am »
You can't even joke about gender politics invading engineering/math without someone trying to get you deplatformed  ::)

The following users thanked this post: boB, ogden

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #1545 on: October 05, 2019, 04:40:00 am »

Like most forest fires...the fire eventually runs out of forest ....the fire goes out.
So put on your oxygen mask and enjoy the show.    :popcorn:

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: October 05, 2019, 01:01:54 pm »
You can't even joke about gender politics invading engineering/math without someone trying to get you deplatformed  ::)

(Attachment Link)

Interesting response from Twitter, the way they are nowadays, it could have gone either way.

There was some, in my opinion, confected, mini-outrage on Twitter. I explicitly respectfully requested explanations of what was offensive about it, so that we can all understand and learn, but was met either with (a) a disrespectful response ironically telling me to be respectful (from which no one learned anything), or (b) a very long winded eight-post, gold medal winning, mental gymnastic response: neither resolved the question.

As far as I could tell, the responses were around it supposedly targeting one specific protected group. To me it’s clear this just isn't the case, it’s targeting the general nonsense around grievance studies culture and intersectionality that unnecessarily whip up resentment by default in their victimhood hierarchy, a resentment exemplified in the Twitter thread.

Apparently, one respondent told me disparagingly it was part of the “skeptic crowd” mantra, whatever that is or was. To me it’s common sense it was a joke at the expense of the cult of nonsense studies.

I was led to think it’s no wonder the term “snowflake” has entered the lexicon with a new meaning. Offence is taken, not given. Not only that, I can’t see how there was any intended malice to any protected group, unless intersectionalists and grievance studies aficionados are now protected groups: it is a parody of that cult.

The following users thanked this post: daqq

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1547 on: October 05, 2019, 02:02:57 pm »
As far as I could tell, the responses were around it supposedly targeting one specific protected group. To me it’s clear this just isn't the case, it’s targeting the general nonsense around grievance studies culture and intersectionality that unnecessarily whip up resentment by default in their victimhood hierarchy, a resentment exemplified in the Twitter thread.

Exactly.
Any rational person would realise it was a joke, and one that was playing on the modern SJW victim culture/politics and especially in this case obviously it's impact on engineering/math I tweeted just before that. It's laughable that it was directed at a specific group of people. I know people in some of these groups who thought it was hilarious.
But yep, sadly the response reflected the now stereotypical extreme case of these people looking for a victim, taking offense at everything, and seeing hate/intent in everything.
No one, not a single person, bothered to ask what I meant by the image, they simply took their own worst possible interpretation and ran with it.

it is a parody of that cult.
And even if I do say so myself, a most excellent one ;D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 02:08:57 pm by EEVblog »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1548 on: October 05, 2019, 02:17:21 pm »
Any rational person would realise it was a joke, and one that was playing on the modern SJW victim culture/politics and especially in this case obviously it's impact on engineering/math I tweeted just before that.
Haven't you heard the good news? Jokes, who's butt aren't heterosexual white males are sexist and racist and should be banned.

Sadly, this is what it has come to, the question on the SJW crowds mind is: How am I the victim here?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1549 on: October 05, 2019, 02:19:03 pm »

Exactly.
Any rational person would realise it was a joke, and one that was playing on the modern SJW victim culture/politics and especially in this case obviously it's impact on engineering/math I tweeted just before that. It's laughable that it was directed at a specific group of people. I know people in some of these groups who thought it was hilarious.
But yep, sadly the response reflected the now stereotypical extreme case of these people looking for a victim, taking offense at everything, and seeing hate/intent in everything.
No one, not a single person, bothered to ask what I meant by the image, they simply took their own worst possible interpretation and ran with it.
What does your intent matter to a narcissist?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf