Author Topic: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.  (Read 100014 times)

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Gender politics has now infected engineering as well.
« Reply #1600 on: October 14, 2019, 03:29:25 pm »
I never either used StackOverflow (short of occasionally seeing threads, but was never registered), or even cared to take a deeper look at it and how it worked, but the previous CEO seemed to be a reasonable guy (Joel Spolsky) from some stuff I read of what he wrote. Maybe I was wrong and he's not. SO has changed CEOs recently, I don't know if it has anything to do with it. Probably much too recent to, but the change itself may.

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1601 on: October 14, 2019, 03:44:56 pm »
At StackOverflow/StackExchange, I'd wager losing 70-odd volunteer moderators is indicative of what is happening.
Did  they actually lose that many?  :o
According to Monica Cellio (the moderator they fired), the count is 78 as of 2019-10-13.  I believe that is a correct figure, but I don't know how to easily verify the exact number.  The number of recent posts on various meta SO/SE sites where moderators inform users they are resigning, certainly indicates they are in the dozens.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #1602 on: October 14, 2019, 08:34:08 pm »
This thread uses she and he. I'm offended please close it or delete it.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Nominal Animal

Online james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1603 on: October 14, 2019, 08:37:47 pm »
There seems to be something of an outrage culture going on. Some people just seem to have an innate need to be outraged over something at all times and find something that needs changing. It's weird.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: October 15, 2019, 12:30:38 am »
Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction.
That's discrimination!
I am offended!  :scared:

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1605 on: October 15, 2019, 12:45:42 am »
Diodes only allow current to flow in one direction.
That's discrimination!
I am offended!  :scared:

;D

But but, the offense is probably not that it allows current to flow only in one direction - rather that the direction cannot be changed freely. Am I starting to get it "right"? :-DD

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1606 on: October 15, 2019, 03:18:32 am »

I'm offended by your offence.

The following users thanked this post: Beamin

Offline Deodand2014

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1607 on: October 15, 2019, 11:48:28 pm »
There seems to be something of an outrage culture going on. Some people just seem to have an innate need to be outraged over something at all times and find something that needs changing. It's weird.

If you want proof of that, this (Paywalled) paper from the University of Hawaii is good evidence:

Abstract:

Billions of people around the globe are well-acquainted with SpongeBob Squarepants and the antics of the title character and his friends on Bikini Bottom. By the same token, there is an absence of public discourse about the whitewashing of violent American military activities through SpongeBob’s occupation and reclaiming of the bottom of Bikini Atoll’s lagoon. SpongeBob Squarepants and his friends play a role in normalizing the settler colonial takings of Indigenous lands while erasing the ancestral Bikinian people from their nonfictional homeland. This article exposes the complicity of popular culture in maintaining American military hegemonies in Oceania while amplifying the enduring indigeneity (Kauanui 2016) of the Marshallese people, who maintain deeply spiritual and historical connections to land—even land they cannot occupy due to residual radiation contamination from US nuclear weapons testing—through a range of cultural practices, including language, song, and weaving. This article also considers the gendered violence of nuclear colonialism and the resilience of Marshallese women.

https://muse.jhu.edu/article/734722/pdf

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1608 on: October 16, 2019, 12:23:27 am »

If you want proof of that, this (Paywalled) paper from the University of Hawaii is good evidence:

Abstract:

Billions of people around the globe are well-acquainted with SpongeBob Squarepants and the antics of the title character and his friends on Bikini Bottom. By the same token, there is an absence of public discourse about the whitewashing of violent American military activities through SpongeBob’s occupation and reclaiming of the bottom of Bikini Atoll’s lagoon. SpongeBob Squarepants and his friends play a role in normalizing the settler colonial takings of Indigenous lands while erasing the ancestral Bikinian people from their nonfictional homeland. This article exposes the complicity of popular culture in maintaining American military hegemonies in Oceania while amplifying the enduring indigeneity (Kauanui 2016) of the Marshallese people, who maintain deeply spiritual and historical connections to land—even land they cannot occupy due to residual radiation contamination from US nuclear weapons testing—through a range of cultural practices, including language, song, and weaving. This article also considers the gendered violence of nuclear colonialism and the resilience of Marshallese women.

I think this "outrage culture" has always been there.  The Internet, social media and forums like this allow us to read/hear/watch more of it, and our own biases/opinions get amplified by it. 

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1609 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:13 am »

Abstract:

While there is a lot of drivel in that article, I was afronted the first time my kids showed me Spongebob Squarepants. How did anyone in the American media think it was a fine idea to make a children's show that makes light of a dark episode in American history?

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #1610 on: October 16, 2019, 04:28:30 am »
I think this "outrage culture" has always been there.  The Internet, social media and forums like this allow us to read/hear/watch more of it, and our own biases/opinions get amplified by it.

What's new is the victimhood culture, in which people clamour to seem more disadvantaged, more oppressed, more helpless than each other. It's antithetical to helping the world in any meaningful way.

The following users thanked this post: daqq, windsmurf

Offline MyHeadHz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1611 on: October 16, 2019, 04:58:34 am »

Abstract:

It's on http://Https://Sci-hub.tw for those curious.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1612 on: October 16, 2019, 05:37:58 am »

What's new is the victimhood culture, in which people clamour to seem more disadvantaged, more oppressed, more helpless than each other. It's antithetical to helping the world in any meaningful way.

I think it all comes down to people demanding understanding, respect, and fairness.  With so many cultures, beliefs, languages, etc. it gets quite complicated.   

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #1613 on: October 16, 2019, 06:25:25 am »

I think it all comes down to people demanding understanding, respect, and fairness.  With so many cultures, beliefs, languages, etc. it gets quite complicated.
Respecting every belief is impossible as some are in direct conflict with one another, or are exclusive with other things that I respect. Also there's respecting people and there's bending over backwards in order to appease some people who are impossible to appease and are fringe cases and demand that society rebuilds itself from the bottom up in order to conform to their particular brand of bullshit.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online SerieZ

• Regular Contributor
  • Zap!
« Reply #1614 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:46 am »

Maybe their own perceived Fairness but actual Fairness, No.
It is all about Control and Extra Sausages for the own Group over the "Opressor".

As easy as paint by number.

The following users thanked this post: daqq, Circlotron

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1615 on: October 16, 2019, 11:08:31 am »

They are called the outrage culture because they have no understanding or respect for any idea which doesn't follow this week's party line. A party line which changes too rapidly for most people to keep up. Especially people within the outrage culture, which is why they keep trying to destroy people within their own ranks, to maintain absolute homogeneity of thought. Its very much a purity culture, although that seems to be falling apart from internal conflicts.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1616 on: October 16, 2019, 11:08:43 am »
I think it all comes down to people demanding understanding, respect, and fairness.

Respect is not demanded it is earned. Anyone who demands respect should be told bluntly to bugger off.

Same for understanding, you can't demand that someone "understand" you, you aren't that important.

Fairness, sure, here in Australia it's called a "fair go". But that doesn't extend to demanding something you haven't earned, like say an engineering job just because you are female and there are few females in engineering. Fairness is equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome.

The following users thanked this post: daqq, Cubdriver, SiliconWizard, Nominal Animal

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1617 on: October 16, 2019, 11:16:28 am »
I think it all comes down to people demanding understanding, respect, and fairness.
Respect is not demanded it is earned. Anyone who demands respect should be told bluntly to bugger off.
Yep.
Same for understanding, you can't demand that someone "understand" you, you aren't that important.
I can't expect you to understand me. However, you should be understanding of the reality that I may see and do things differently - i.e. understanding in the sense of tolerant. Outrage culture doesn't like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:48:29 am by coppice »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1618 on: October 16, 2019, 11:39:16 am »
I can't expect me to understand me. However, you should be understanding of the reality that I may see and do things differently - i.e. understanding in the sense of tolerant. Outrage culture doesn't like that.

Tolerant can also be of the "I don't give a toss" form.
And that is my attitude to most things. Does your thing hurt or affect anyone else? Does your thing use my tax dollars? If the answer is no to both, then I don't give a toss, do whatever you want.
But yes, outrage culture can't seem to grasp that simple concept.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1619 on: October 16, 2019, 11:54:42 am »
For most people the gold standard of tolerance is not giving a toss what other people do, as long as its not harming someone else. Outrageous, isn't it?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1620 on: October 16, 2019, 12:04:32 pm »
I was afronted the first time my kids showed me Spongebob Squarepants. How did anyone in the American media think it was a fine idea to make a children's show that makes light of a dark episode in American history?

I have no idea about Spongebob or what it represents. What dark episode does it make light of? How does it do it?
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1621 on: October 16, 2019, 12:08:59 pm »

I had an uncle who once, when someone was trying to get him all riled up about some issue, he listened, paused thoughtfully for a moment and said, slowly and thoughtfully:

You know, in life, out of 100 things, I could not care less about 99 of them. And that is one of them.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1622 on: October 16, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »
I was afronted the first time my kids showed me Spongebob Squarepants. How did anyone in the American media think it was a fine idea to make a children's show that makes light of a dark episode in American history?

I have no idea about Spongebob or what it represents. What dark episode does it make light of? How does it do it?
Its set in an undersea place called Bikini Bottom. I don't think its ever explicitly stated, but they make the whole vibe like the creatures are the superheros of the animal world, created by the radiation the USA left behind in Bikini Atoll. From what I understand, the guy who originated the series didn't start it out like that. It was changed during development for the TV series.

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1623 on: October 16, 2019, 02:45:38 pm »
Bikini Bottom sounds like a great place to be near. Also Bikini Top. :)

Come to think about it, when I am made mayor I will name two appropriate streets "Bikini Bottom" and "Bikini Top".  Also "Sunscreen Blvd.", "Beach Balls Run", "Topless Best", etc. A really nice place to vacation.

Not having seen the series I have no opinion formed on radioactive bikini bottoms. 

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1624 on: October 16, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

Maybe we should just use "it"?

Maybe Stephen King was actually anticipating all this...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf