Author Topic: preserve electronic devices  (Read 5191 times)

Offline coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
Re: preserve electronic devices
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2020, 10:24:08 am »
put them in a stainless steel box, weld it shut and encase that in a few cubic meters of concrete. bury 6ft deep. together with all other 'old junk'.
Better tip : recycle them.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I don't understand this concept of wanting to keep old obsolete stuff. if i look in my neighbourhood many people have an old carcass of an old 69 chevy pickup truck or a 1953 cheville special that is rusted out , broken windows, motor completely bust. but they hang on to it for sentimental values and sit next to it, beer in hand , dreaming of restoring it.. then they pass away and the descendants have to deal with the cleanup. Their garage is full of old clothes that don't fit, old tv's they keep for .. well what ?
Give it up. it has had its life. let it go.

the problem is that its like 200 hours of cosmetic work and many more hours to replace the parts.. it needs to be moisture protected then you can fix it

I think people eventually pick up a buffer and think 'oh no' when a panel disintegrates lol

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2020, 03:01:10 pm »
Some electronic devices were made to last in the first place.

This is a 400Hz bandpass filter...   from 1958!  -  It still meets its specification and I am about to clean it up and fit some BNC connectors to it so it can be put to use.

Offline classicsamus87Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2020, 08:25:13 pm »
please i need good ziplock bag not enter humidity

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2020, 09:26:53 pm »
The kind of ziplock bag with a port on it, so you can suck out the air, stay deflated for a very long time. They must be pretty good at keeping out moisture.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2020, 09:38:07 pm »

I bought several transparent ziplock bag and in all the moisture comes

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2020, 11:54:53 pm »
The kind of ziplock bag with a port on it, so you can suck out the air, stay deflated for a very long time. They must be pretty good at keeping out moisture.

Average partial pressure of water in the atmosphere is quite low at normal storage temperatures.  On the order of 0.04 atmosphere.  You won't notice that the bag has filled with water vapor at equilibrium to the environment.  But that is the end state when diffusion has taken over.  The kind of measure you are describing is leak rate.  I don't know what "very long time" means to you.  Someone who is trying to save something for collector value probably wants to store these things for 10 to 50 years.  I wouldn't bet on those bags having a low enough leak rate to support those durations.  The ones I am familiar with are used for clothes storage and food storage.  Both applications that don't need much more than a couple of years. 

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2020, 12:58:58 am »
Use Mylar bags for much lower permeability.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2020, 03:14:36 pm »

Everything lets moisture in if you wait long enough, unless you go to extremes like sealed metal or glass vessels.

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2020, 03:33:02 pm »

Average partial pressure of water in the atmosphere is quite low at normal storage temperatures.  On the order of 0.04 atmosphere.  You won't notice that the bag has filled with water vapor at equilibrium to the environment.  But that is the end state when diffusion has taken over.  The kind of measure you are describing is leak rate.  I don't know what "very long time" means to you.  Someone who is trying to save something for collector value probably wants to store these things for 10 to 50 years.  I wouldn't bet on those bags having a low enough leak rate to support those durations.  The ones I am familiar with are used for clothes storage and food storage.  Both applications that don't need much more than a couple of years.
I'm judging by things like a wedding dress I have seen, which had been sealed in one of those bags for about 30 years, and so little air had seeped in that it was still rigid. Air gets in more easily than moisture. I think the biggest problem with these things is its hard to know if the seal has closed properly. You really need to check in the first few week if the bag shows any signs of expansion.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2020, 04:46:49 pm »

I'm judging by things like a wedding dress I have seen, which had been sealed in one of those bags for about 30 years, and so little air had seeped in that it was still rigid. Air gets in more easily than moisture. I think the biggest problem with these things is its hard to know if the seal has closed properly. You really need to check in the first few week if the bag shows any signs of expansion.

I'm impressed.  As I said, I wouldn't have bet on that result.  My personal experience has been about a quarter of them last more than a year.  Maybe I got a bad batch, or the wrong brand, or am not careful enough to keep the ZIP-LOC faces clean or .....    My sample size is small, but because of the poor results I wasn't encouraged to try more.

Air gets in easier than water by the diffusion path.  For leakage paths there is no meaningful difference. 

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2020, 02:55:05 pm »

Honestly I don't know what type of ziplock bag I should choose but I don't have a vacuum machine and the zip is interesting and easy to open but it can't get in moisture

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 01:35:32 am »

The plastic that a zip-loc bag is made of, is not a perfect impermeable membrane.

I found out the hard way, filling a ziploc with a mixture of ethanol and cedar oil to rejuvenate some closet cedar "smell fresh" blocks...   The liquid was able to sweat through the bag!   Good thing I was paranoid and had the whole thing in a glass bowl...

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 01:03:11 pm »

Which ziplock bag material is waterproof? I need to buy ziplock that does not enter moisture

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 04:02:52 pm »

Which ziplock bag material is waterproof? I need to buy ziplock that does not enter moisture

The mylar bags that electronic components are often shipped in is probably as good as it gets?

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 05:06:45 pm »

The mylar bags that electronic components are often shipped in is probably as good as it gets?
The mylar ones work well. If you want to use food grade ziplock bags, because they are so widely available, you need to look for the laminated ones. They have an inner layer of a plastic which is consider food safe but is somewhat permeable, and an outer layer of a plastic which is impermeable. The food safety issue usually revolves around fats, in things like cheese, being able to slowly leach polymerizers out of some types of plastic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf