Author Topic: Getting UV light from a blackbody radiator?  (Read 7411 times)

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: Getting UV light from a blackbody radiator?
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2019, 05:33:27 pm »
That's cool, didn't know there was such a thing as infrared laser detector cards.

Might be worth noting that other things can also excite the atoms and cause luminescence, like electricity (neon lights) or chemical processes (fireflies), but then it's not technically fluorescence any more (electroluminecence, chemiluminescence, etc) even though it's basically the same phenomena.
Up-conversion phosphors cost more than cocaine.
https://maxmax.com/shopper/category/9352-infrared-down-conversion-phosphor
Just how cheap is cocaine in the UK, then?!? Here in Switzerland (Zurich is a MASSIVE coke town) it's about CHF/EUR/US$100 for a gram, admittedly of high quality. So far more than those phosphors! (As for me, I'm not going to snort coke or phosphors!)

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2019, 09:47:07 pm »
That's cool, didn't know there was such a thing as infrared laser detector cards.

Might be worth noting that other things can also excite the atoms and cause luminescence, like electricity (neon lights) or chemical processes (fireflies), but then it's not technically fluorescence any more (electroluminecence, chemiluminescence, etc) even though it's basically the same phenomena.
Just how cheap is cocaine in the UK, then?!? Here in Switzerland (Zurich is a MASSIVE coke town) it's about CHF/EUR/US$100 for a gram, admittedly of high quality. So far more than those phosphors! (As for me, I'm not going to snort coke or phosphors!)
To be honest, I had no idea coke was that much, so no, probably not more expensive than cocaine.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 06:27:29 pm »
Yep. The high cost of powder cocaine is literally why in USA, the cheaper crack cocaine is prevalent in poorer, more melanistic socioeconomic strata, while paler, richer strata tend to use powder. :/

Of course, the real question is, is that phosphor cheaper than printer ink?  ;D

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 08:15:09 pm »
"Crack" is made by heating cocaine with baking soda to liberate the alkaloid free base. The byproducts are not separated, so they affect the color and texture.
It's not correct that it's somehow a lower grade: basically all cocaine smuggled into the country is the salt form. Crack production is domestic, usually on a kitchen stove, and is done to make the drug smokable.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2019, 01:36:38 am »
I didn't say it was lower grade. (By all means, show me where I said that.) I said it was cheaper. (That means it costs less.) There are significant differences in price (and in mandatory minimum sentences… grrr…)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:39:27 am by tooki »

Offline BeaminTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2019, 10:58:23 pm »

15$ a gram vs 50-60 for cocaine but still not cheap.

We used to paint art on the walls with blue laundry soap it was clear on the wall but when you turned on a black light the walls light up a light blue color. So during the day the room looked totally normal at night much different and you could paint things you normally wouldn't like lamp shades furniture the ceiling with different patters. The stuff would stay there until it was easily washed off. Another was to fill bottles with tonic water and antifreeze. The best was opening a highlighter and drooping the center bit into water and then you had a very bright fluorescent fluid. With all of these combined you could make a room look totally foreign when the UV was turned on.
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf