Author Topic: Girls Who Code (New YouTube Series)  (Read 22554 times)

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
Re: Girls Who Code (New YouTube Series)
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2016, 09:18:00 pm »
I believe  that with  this documental we will find the truth because there are more engineer women at the India than at Scandinavia countries.
"Brainwash: The Gender Equality Paradox"

it takes a lot of double think to keep up with the gender talk, the same people who claim gender is a social construct that has nothing to do
with chromosomes will claim that being trans is a physical thing where the brain doesn't match the chromosomes. 

I don't care either way, but it can't be both

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2016, 10:26:26 pm »
There isn't many that claim that, it's just that some define the term "gender" as the social construct part and "sex" as the chromosome/biological part. I.e. they recognize there are biological differences, but the word gender only refer to the social norms. (As far as I have been able to tell).

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2016, 11:04:53 pm »
You shouldn't make a kid an engineer or whatever because you think it would be a good profession. You should try to find out what your kid likes, what he/she is good at and support that.
+1
This was essentially the message of mr Robinson, the best watched Ted speach with 39 million views,
Myst see very funny and educational!
https://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity?language=en

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2016, 11:08:42 pm »
Thank you for that boobz.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2016, 11:37:34 pm »
"Brainwash: The Gender Equality Paradox"
Well, after having watched that maybe there are more that think so than I thought. :scared: But I'm a bit sceptical to such tv-programs since they try to find people with extreme views and pitch them against each other giving the impression such views are common and all academics are nuts when in reality most have a rather balanced view (well, not being any better/worse than non-academics). But who knows, the world is full of crazy people.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2016, 02:15:45 am »
On the next episode of Engineering Bimbos, brought to you by FOX. Hahahaha
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2016, 03:53:31 am »
Putting aside all other considerations. Who can say that taking your best, most marketable asset, eg exceptional attactiveness, and exploiting it to your maximum benefit isn't a highly intelligent act?

In this case it seems the girls in the video are not the ones behind it. Most likely paid models.
Whoever is behind it, it seems to have failed, at least as a Youtube channel. But who knows how many they had sign up to their course on the website.

Offline John Heath

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2B or not 2B
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 04:18:18 am »

If I had her when I was in college perhaps I would be better at writing code today. And it is easy to make it gender neutral. Just throw in a muscle guy. Dumb him down a bit so that she is always correcting his mistakes. Now the girls are happy making it politically correct for our times. Maybe colleges can learn something from this? The cleavage approach to teaching.

Offline AntiProtonBoy

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2016, 05:09:03 am »
I don't mind a bit of smut now and then, but there are dedicated sites for it. Coding (or any subject for that matter) presented in such a manner just makes me cringe.

Offline at2marty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2016, 09:06:50 pm »
Putting aside all other considerations. Who can say that taking your best, most marketable asset, eg exceptional attactiveness, and exploiting it to your maximum benefit isn't a highly intelligent act?

In this case it seems the girls in the video are not the ones behind it. Most likely paid models.
Whoever is behind it, it seems to have failed, at least as a Youtube channel. But who knows how many they had sign up to their course on the website.

That's the ultimate goal.  However, generally speaking, they aren't exactly attracting the "smartest" or the "brightest".  I mean, what would motivate a person to sign up for their "course"?  Actually learning how to code or seeing a pretty girl "get nekid" or close too it?

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2016, 09:35:28 pm »

If I had her when I was in college perhaps I would be better at writing code today. And it is easy to make it gender neutral. Just throw in a muscle guy. Dumb him down a bit so that she is always correcting his mistakes. Now the girls are happy making it politically correct for our times. Maybe colleges can learn something from this? The cleavage approach to teaching.

If you want girls to code, then turn CodeBabes.... into Code Dudes!!    :-DD

Either way, I think it's inappropriate to combine the two. But hey if it makes more women interested in learning this stuff, go for it. Not my cup of tea though.

I mean, look how many women are reading those sexy novels these days... Like "Fifty Shades of Grey" stuff.... There has been a surge in readers. So there is obviously motivation but I think we'll just end up with a bunch of 50-year-old women programmers.  :-DD

YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline rfeecs

• Frequent Contributor

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2016, 11:10:25 pm »
Just google "brogramming":

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=brogramming

That sounds a lot like the geeky nerdy guys who were too shy to socially interact with the opposite sex ended up using their newly-found riches to buy themselves their teenage fantasy. Add a few Lambourghini's and you've got the makings of the next Hollywood movie, if you ask me.  :-DD  Not the way to create an environment that supports people based on their programming skills alone. It reminds me of this classic movie:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:20:11 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 11:58:21 pm »
"Join our sisterhood" ?  ::)

Join the Dark Brotherhood of Solder. Metcal by moonlight at the witching hour.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2016, 12:11:34 am »
they should manditory take a genderchange operation before starting.  :-DD

Everyone in a company should get allotment of alternate gender identity that they can use to sign into work so that the workforce is always 50/50 male / female. From the CEO down to the engineering staff and assembly line workers.

Danny, if you get your way you'll have to go to work in a dress every other day. But hey, if you want to that's fine by me.  :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2016, 12:24:41 am »
Just out of interest, why do they call it coding these days, rather than programming?

I like to think it's out of consideration for us old hands, so we can quickly tell if we're dealing with a clueless noob.  :)

But on a more serious note, next time you hear someone prefix something 'cyber' ask them what cybernetics is. The probability that they don't know, or get the definition wrong is near 100%. It's a very useful kind of reverse shiboleth for knowing if you're talking to somebody who only has buzzwords and no 'clue'. Politicians use the 'cyber' prefix a lot.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 01:48:04 am »
"cyber" - isn't that something to do with putting on your robe and wizard hat?  ???

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 07:35:56 pm »
You shouldn't make a kid an engineer or whatever because you think it would be a good profession. You should try to find out what your kid likes, what he/she is good at and support that.
Yes, exactly, and even less based on what someone's sex is, just let people do what they like to do and are good at and support that.

It's easy to learn programming today, everyone has a computer and the internet, which is all you need if you have the will (search the web for tutorials on html and javascript -- everyone already have the software necessary: a web browser and a text editor).

It's different with other crafts though, like electronics and chemistry. For that you need special gear, you need to know what to buy, and you need components and a breadboard and some way to make circuit boards and maybe a good book (like AoE) and basic mathematics skills (and $$$). The prerequisites for learning electronics are just a lot higher than for programming unfortunately. So in that case, a mentor that can help you out would make a huge difference (whether you're a boy or a girl).

The same is true for chemistry which is almost impossible to learn or as a hobbyist nowadays. My dad's a chemist and he used to have his own lab where he did experiments as a kid. Today that would be impossible, if you managed to buy any chemicals you would have cops knocking down your door within weeks because some neighbour think you're making drugs or planning a terrorist attack. :palm:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 07:38:59 pm by apis »

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
just let people do what they like to do and are good at and support that.

I think venues like girls who code are just that, a support function for those wanting to explore.

It is tempting to project our experience onto others. The fact that I learned coding without having any formal training by itself is no repudiation for formal training for others, and vice versa.

I tend to think that anyone wanting to learn something constructive is always a good thing. As a society, we all benefit from having a group of programmers who are different, especially in their perspectives.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:51 pm »
I think venues like girls who code are just that, a support function for those wanting to explore.
Venues exclusively for girls.

My point is: the reason there are few female programmers is not because boys are preventing girls from programming or that girls are not introduced to programming, or that there are not special girls-only-programming clubs: it is because most girls do not want to program. If you think it would be a good thing if more women were programmers then start by figuring out why girls do not want to program.

Nothing is preventing girls from learning programming (except maybe stupid parents, but in that case this will not help either, and any parent trying to make their girl a programmer or boy a nurse just because there are more men/women in that field is just as bad). All these girl-only this or that are stupid and counter productive. Can anyone imagine a boys only programming club? seems kind of 18-century to me.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:27:46 pm by apis »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 09:20:40 pm »

As a society, we all benefit from having a group of programmers who are different, especially in their perspectives.

Free individuals are free to code and have their own perspective.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2016, 05:06:43 am »
Here explains somebody, why girls can't code:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2016, 08:37:54 am »
It’s a shame Jerri Ellsworth went on to bigger things.
I’d take her quirky old electronics videos over any of the any day.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2016, 09:32:01 am »
Here explains somebody, why girls can't code:
:-DD Boys and young men can't code either since their brain thinks about sex almost the entire time, no cycles left for coding.
It is untill they are going steady or married they find out one woman is more than enough and that this woman trains their tolerance levels till the max, and when they get older they have the perseverance to write decent well documented code.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2016, 11:07:59 am »

:-DD Boys and young men can't code either since their brain thinks about sex almost the entire time, no cycles left for coding.
I was a lousy coder as a boy. Still am even now.
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf