Author Topic: GMAIL free life?  (Read 11860 times)

Offline ZuccaTopic starter

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
GMAIL free life?
« on: November 29, 2018, 04:10:51 pm »
I am not a youtubber (would love to become one), don't use Twitter, Instagram or Facebook (and I will never do, I hope). I use every day Whatsapp and dropbox only sporadically for not critical data.
I use GMAIL with Calendar and Contats.

Lately (don't ask me why), I got more interested to understand how my privacy and data in the internet are protected.
10sec later I realize that all my emails, contacts, calendar are in Google hands in some server on this planet. I don´t believe Google will cause damage to me, and it never did in the past (at least I did not notice that...).

What now what bothers me is the feeling there is someone (who could/can/is) always watching me and maybe keeping track of all my activities... I don't like it.

Please I don't want to start a political or ethical privacy discussion here (thread will be locked in hours, I believe), I just want a nice technical discussion what make sense to do in order to protect our privacy.

That says what I did so far....

1) At work only Chrome is allowed, so I have there 100% incognito on with uBlock Origin on. When I get home end December I will install Mozilla with noscript and auto cookie delete.
2) Use duckduckgo.com instead of google.com
3) On my Android Phone (yes I know... don't tell me) I installed the excellent Firefox Focus/Klar.
4) Pfsense with pfBlockerNG on (<-- This is very cool and stable! I love it)

Next on my list (with a very relaxed timeline/schedule) is to get rid of GMail.

I spotted this:

https://kolabnow.com/

which seems to be okay. (PS: Switzerland was famous to keep the bank info secret, now they want to keep the data secret?  ^-^ )

Another attack plan (much more time and money cosuming) could be to buy a domain and have a nice server at home which runs IMAP email, ownCloud, Roundcube and Z-Push.
I am considering to buy a VPN service, but it is just shifting the problem I think. TOR is also on my radar, but I read it is slow.

I don't think I will ever be protected in the internet, but at least I want to try to rise the bar a little bit, right now I am just walking with my pants down and a smile on my face I think.

What you smart guys do? Do you have a private server at home? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Again please keep it technical, thanks.

TO MOD/ADMIN: IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS POST FEEL FREE TO LOCK IT IMMEDIATELY. MY APOLOGIZES.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:24:26 pm by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: GMAIL free life?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 04:15:53 pm »
I subcontract it all out to FastMail, Apple, DuckDuckGo.

https://www.fastmail.com/about/privacy.html

https://www.apple.com/uk/privacy/

I do have a youtube channel but this sits in chrome. I don't use chrome for anything else.

Note I have run mail servers before (postfix/dovecot etc) and it's a ball ache. Don't even go there.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline brabus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:20:21 pm »
I understand your fear and worries.

What I do? Nothing. Google even has all the passwords of all the WiFi Networks I have ever connected to.
If someone reads my email, well, they can have access to many of the services I use, like social media, forums or similar, but... meh.

Passwords are preserved in my head, written nowhere, all different each other. I forget them often, to be honest, especially if seldom used, so it's a bit of a PITA, but I feel safer this way.

The only really important thing (i.e.: which could really cause concrete damage to me or my family) is my bank account, really. I never authorize any transaction without double-confirmation (via SMS Code for example, also with credit card).

To be honest I don't really see a problem here, since even banks share their information (any information, regardless of privacy agreements) with the world, and we have no control over it. I just accept it and move on.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 04:42:52 pm »
Do you have a private server at home? Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Again please keep it technical, thanks.

HP Microserver at home with several VMs:
- mail/calendar server: freebsd, postfix, dovecot, baikal (caldav/carddav), roundcube, let's encrypt (acme)
- NAS with dokuwiki, filestorage, video, music, etc
- pfsense separates dmz and internal lan (failover: ubiquity edgerouter)
- managed switch with vlan support
- piHole
- UPS for all core services
- automated backup for everything
- VPN (in and out)
- smartphones in use: "fairphone 2" without google services and open source os
- "cloud" for our smartphones on my own NAS
- threema / telegram messenger
- yacy search engine

If you don't want to spend time and money for this, get an account for a service provider with high privacy and security:
posteo.de
manitu.de
http://www.aikq.de/
https://www.mailfence.com/

The are some "privacy handbooks" (creative common) you can search with https://duckduckgo.com/
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:52:06 pm by hammy »

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 04:44:40 pm »
For when 2 step recovery is required I have a pay as you go sim on an old phone with no credit waiting there.

I use Pfsense as well for to group two broadband lines four lans with spare network cards if I want try something and it has been going well for over 3 years now. Very good for viewing and managing traffic like VPN and blocking spammers who target what I port forward but most of them I forward are on different ports anyway. It is Quad core low power Xeon 2.5GHz, Gigabyte motherboard, 4GB of low latency ram, 4x Alteon Acenic PCI-X and 1x Quad port Intel MT server network card.

I also use a free beta copy of Dude 4 beta from Mikrotek for the managed switches you can see where the throughput is going as well on the map.

I do have a HP G5 DL380 running on my shelf but I wouldn't run an email server directly on it for anything important as that would depend on the broadband connection.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:53:57 pm by MrMobodies »

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 05:05:01 pm »
HP Microserver at home with several VMs:
- mail/calendar server: freebsd, postfix, dovecot, baikal (caldav/carddav), roundcube, let's encrypt (acme)
- NAS with dokuwiki, filestorage, video, music, etc
- pfsense separates dmz and internal lan (failover: ubiquity edgerouter)
- managed switch with vlan support
- piHole
- UPS for all core services
- automated backup for everything
- VPN (in and out)
- smartphones in use: "fairphone 2" without google services and open source os
- "cloud" for our smartphones on my own NAS
- threema / telegram messenger
- yacy search engine

That's impressive, very cool and sexy. I can't do that it's too much for me, I am an EE and not an IT nerd. I can imagine how happy you were that day when everything worked as expected, did you get drunk and celebrated  :P ? Congrats anyway nice setup.

I will setup probably a (HP DL380 G6) FreeNAS server with USP and offsite backup at home with maybe owncloud as plugin nut I am terrified to move on in the rabbit hole with VMs. I never played with VM, xBDS too much and I am scared to burn my fingers and time. I will probably outsource everything like bd139 did.

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 05:20:23 pm »
That's impressive, very cool and sexy. I can't do that it's too much for me, I am an EE and not an IT nerd. I can imagine how happy you were that day when everything worked as expected, did you get drunk and celebrated  :P ? Congrats anyway nice setup.

This setup started ~10 years ago and is still ongoing. You never stop and sometimes it is necessary to modernize parts of it.

I will setup probably a (HP DL380 G6) FreeNAS server with USP and offsite backup at home with maybe owncloud as plugin nut I am terrified to move on in the rabbit hole with VMs. I never played with VM, xBDS too much and I am scared to burn my fingers and time. I will probably outsource everything like bd139 did.

Start small. FreeNAS, Zeroshell or pfsense/opnsense, pihole. Use some small Alix APU devices and RasPi. If possible keep your backup at home on usb-drives connected to your NAS for mirror/backup. Keep it simple. Owncloud/Nextcloud for your cloud/calendar/contacts.

A DL380G6 ist a huge and powerful machine, but also not cheap on your electric bill if you run it at home. If you use to much hardware it is cheaper to use a service provider.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 05:22:10 pm by hammy »

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2018, 05:23:18 pm »
- yacy search engine

Very interesting.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 05:24:17 pm »
They sell some good quad port gigabit nics and Ebay and I got very cheap some time ago.

I think they are a HP 375T Netxen NX3031.
I get good throughput performance with them and I have a couple in LAGG for the file server.

On ebay I see 10 gigabit ethernet prices going all the way down about £100 for and fibre controllers are becoming even cheaper.

My HP G5 does use up a lot of power to run and gives out a lot of heat.
I had to make a shroud and put fans at then end where the power supplies are to blow out the hot air or it heats the case up.

I like HP over Dell because there are many options you can set in the bios that Dell seem to lack.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 05:34:11 pm »
1. Whatever you end up using, don't leave emails on the server. If it's important, download it before deleting.
2. Chrome is Google. Trustworthy? Your call. I wouldn't touch it.
3. DNS server? There are probably better choices than what your ISP offers, or god forbid, Google.
4. Cookies are a problem. Most sites break badly without them. The damn things are relied on way too much for functionality.
5. Turn off all caching in your browser (unless maybe you have a slow connection). It can be used to track you.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 05:38:25 pm »
I know the DL380G6 is a heater and energy hungry... I just want to test it out and see how it goes (I don't even have AC in summer so... oh oh ....)  If it is too much I will replace it with something small and faster maybe.

I am very pleased with pfsense and pfBlockerNG so don't need a piHole I think.

MrMobodies I l think you have a wise and balanced setup,
4GB of low latency ram
on my pfsense machine I mounted ECC RAM...

Holy molly I just checked my GMAIL account I have about 13GB of crap. Size seems to be an obstacle (not cheap)  to outsource everything.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 05:40:36 pm »
I switched to FastMail after similar thoughts about GMail many years ago and I could not be happier. And FastMail provides a real IMAP interface, not the google-flavored one, and they don't screw around with their web interface. Gmail gets worse and worse over time.

Yes, it costs money, but it is a really laughable amount of money for what you get.
Alex

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 05:43:22 pm »
3. DNS server? There are probably better choices than what your ISP offers, or god forbid, Google.

Thanks rdl I agree on everything, for DNS I use quad9:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/httpswww-quad9-net-dns-safety-layer-driven-internet-security-for-free/msg1881236/#msg1881236

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 05:46:17 pm »
FastMail

25GB for 5$ an month, I like it.

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 05:50:56 pm »

MrMobodies I l think you have a wise and balanced setup,
4GB of low latency ram
on my pfsense machine I mounted ECC RAM...

Holy molly I just checked my GMAIL account I have about 13GB of crap. Size seems to be an obstacle (not cheap)  to outsource everything.

ECC Nice.

In one of the places I worked about 5 years ago at were lots of old Dell Pentium 4's.

I got hold of a job lot of the Dual Intel MT gigabit network cards. I put 3 dual ports in each and we got a couple of them running Pfsense with Carp for redundancy with some UPS  to go with it. There were 3 slow 4mbps adsl lines. (1 dis used for SIP phones, one from a merged company. It worked really well until some digger dug through the lines on the estate.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2018, 05:58:38 pm »
with some UPS  to go with it

For the pfSense Box I don't bother to put an UPS. If the power goes down then modem and internet goes down. For the FreeNAS box it's another story.

BTW thanks guys you are awesome.

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2018, 06:07:58 pm »
e-mail is pretty easy, you can host it yourself or pay nearly anyone else to do it.  When I had to leave time warner's roadrunner service I knew I would have to tell everyone and change account at a lot of places from <myname>@rr.com to something else.  So I registered my own domain at that time so it would only be a one time change.  From then on I was <myname>@<mydomain.com> and have moved my e-mail hosting a couple times and simply re-pointed the domain.  This makes it flexible for me, I can host it myself or pay someone else without having to change all my accounts.

The other piece mentioned is calendar and contacts.  I use owncloud.  You can download and install yourself or pay to host it somewhere.  Then download sync tools on your phone/laptop/tablet/whatever and use the calendar/contacts and files there.

It takes maybe one hour or less to write (Slackware) Linux to a microSD card, boot it, download owncloud, setup apache and mysql and have an owncloud site up and running.  This keeps my data off of Google/Apple/microsoft/whomever else.

Offline Zepnat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2018, 06:10:41 pm »
Wish I could understand all this  :-//

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 06:21:10 pm »
Yes, changing to my own domain was also a huge part of my decision to move to FastMail. Email is a big part of my life, and if google were to ban my email for whatever arbitrary reason, it would be a huge blow. If google bans me now, I will be mildly inconvenienced, but overall I would not care.
Alex

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »
I use owncloud

I will use FreeNAS and I see owncloud as a plugin. Still ponding to put ownclould on one of the hundreds Rasp I have and point it to the FreeNAS, and keep the FreeNAS plugin free..

was also a huge part of my decision

I noticed that too, 5$/Month for 25GB and own domain it's hard to beat.  :clap:

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2018, 07:17:06 pm »
don't use Twitter, Instagram or Facebook (and I will never do, I hope).

I use every day Whatsapp

Someone should tell him...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:02 pm »
That Whatsapp is Facebook? Which is a bigger worry than Google, historically.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:29 pm »
Privacy 100% vs being isolated from rest of world.

I unfortunately cannot jump off the Whatsapp boat, all my friends use it. What I have to do?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 07:23:30 pm by zucca »

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2018, 07:22:41 pm »
Privacy 100% vs being isolated from rest of world.

I unfortunately cannot jump off the Whatsapp boat.

I know, it's just that you said you're happy to not use facebook.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »
you said you're happy to not use facebook.

Oh, yes. Whatsapp is already time consuming enough. Imagine to deal also with Facebook. No thanks.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf