Author Topic: Godaddy Hosting Problems  (Read 6285 times)

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
Godaddy Hosting Problems
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:33:26 pm »
To those having problems accessing my web sites and being unable to download files. My sites hosted at Godaddy have been unusable since Thursday. Although smaller HTML files are available, larger files such as photos or pdf files have a latency issue or do not download at all.  The answer so far from Godaddy is no ETA on a fix and that I'm on a legacy system and I need to upgrade.  This is not an issue for just me.  Others I know that are hosted by Godaddy are having the same problem.  There is no excuse for three days of Godaddy telling me I need to upgrade to avoid a problem on their system.   If this is not fixed soon I will be forced to upgrade... to another service.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: Godaddy Hosting Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:26:41 pm »
Typical cause for that kind of error is an ethernet problem, like one side thinks it's half duplex and the other runs full duplex. Since others got the same problem it might be the trunk connection between an access switch and a distribution switch or router.

Offline DavidJRobertson

• Regular Contributor
    • davidr.me
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:01:50 pm »
Solution: don't use GoDaddy!

OT: Have you heard about the whole fiasco of their CEO shooting elephants?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 07:37:48 pm »
Solution: don't use GoDaddy!
they are my domain maintainer and i pay to them, but i'm on free website package now (after the paid package expired i didnt notice there is free package automatic when i subscribe domain, my foolish). my web still up and browsable, until they remove the free package, i'm with them. i have no problem going there after this thread report, so i'm not sure whats going on.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:24:08 pm »
I observe similar things with my shared server. It goes away when I complain about it, but comes back a few months later. In my case it is excessive latency on the storage side (systems stays in IOWAIT for ages), at least that is the information that can be gained from within the virtual machine.  Access to small things is usually very fast (probably cached in memory), copying large files or doing MD5 checksums on large files takes forever. The throughput may be as low as just a few kb/s.

Causes can be manifold. I assume that storage is handles the NAS way, and these systems are usually quite beefy. Unless the network link (local) is overloaded by too many instances per hardware unit, access should be zippy.

In my case I guess that they move my container onto a machine that has to deal with too many VMs. Usually my system doesn't require a lot of CPU resources, so that would be fine if it weren't for the IO latency when running backups with MD5 sums.

Oh, BTW. I don't use your hoster, but the problem is not limited to them.

Offline zaoka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:03:39 am »
I am using synhosting.com, they dont do overseling and in 6 years I dont remember they been slow or crashed. Only downtime is when they restart servers.

Overseling is when they offer GBs of space and unlimiter bandwith.. in reality they have a software that monitors accounts with heavy usage, as soon as they detect that you are using all you can they will slow down speed, cause crashes or make site not accessible for a while... just to forcce you to go to another host...

why?

because 90% of customers that got caught on their marketing does not use more than 5% of what they offer.. so they dont need  those that are using maximum bandwidth...

Offline Wartex

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://headsplosive.com
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 02:12:57 am »
To those having problems accessing my web sites and being unable to download files. My sites hosted at Godaddy have been unusable since Thursday. Although smaller HTML files are available, larger files such as photos or pdf files have a latency issue or do not download at all.  The answer so far from Godaddy is no ETA on a fix and that I'm on a legacy system and I need to upgrade.  This is not an issue for just me.  Others I know that are hosted by Godaddy are having the same problem.  There is no excuse for three days of Godaddy telling me I need to upgrade to avoid a problem on their system.   If this is not fixed soon I will be forced to upgrade... to another service.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

People who use GoDaddy for anything are same kind of people that use AOL dial-up thinking they have some sort of commitment. GoDaddy is by far the worst hoster and registrar among large ones.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 06:16:19 pm »
People who use GoDaddy for anything are same kind of people that use AOL dial-up thinking they have some sort of commitment. GoDaddy is by far the worst hoster and registrar among large ones.
i'm located in malaysia. any better suggestion?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:09:14 pm »
My sites and files are all loading fast now.  They moved me to a new server (no charge). 
Still, it took them over three days and it cost me a few hundred dollars in sales.
Only the second time in ten years I have had a problem though and the first one was an email problem.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:48:54 am »
Only the second time in ten years I have had a problem though and the first one was an email problem.
not that bad imho.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 03:46:09 am »
HostMonster just fixed my eevblog.org server problem after a couple of days. "Here you go, it's fixed"
Well, it would be nice if you told me what was wrong with it!  |O

Dave.

Offline Skimask

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:51:51 am »
Where is that LIKE or the +1 button?
I didn't take it apart.
I turned it on.

The only stupid question is, well, most of them...

Save a fuse...Blow an electrician.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:18 am »
Where is that LIKE or the +1 button?
if the raised question from an issue cannot be answered, i'll consider the issue as a bluff. esp if someone smacking one thing but cannot suggest better solution. i believe they become "large" because of a "reason". nvm the button, the "report to moderator" down under right corner" can also do the same :P i was thinking to change registar or website to amazon sometime ago but i didnt know how to get there.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:46:50 am by Mechatrommer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf