Author Topic: Gold Plated Copper Speaker Binding post Cap - Stops Noise?  (Read 8213 times)

Offline xrunnerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Gold Plated Copper Speaker Binding post Cap - Stops Noise?
« on: April 01, 2015, 11:58:39 am »
 :wtf:

Noise and distortion are bad for audio, destroying precious detail and smearing resolution. The open speaker binding posts are channeling RFI and EMI noise right into the heart of your components.  Cover all the unused speaker binding posts in your system with the this caps and keep this noise from getting into your components.  Our speaker binding post caps slide right over unused speaker binding posts and will provide both sonic and environmental protection.

This Noise-Stopper caps are grounding plugs that help you block out this unwanted noise. Just slip a cap over the open inputs on the back of your Hi Fi gears. You will aware Noise-Stopper caps lower the noise floor and allow your equipment to perform to it's fullest potential.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Valab-Noise-Stopper-Gold-Plated-Speaker-Binding-Post-Caps-x4-/301556790425?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46362f7499

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
Re: Gold Plated Copper Speaker Binding post Cap - Stops Noise?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:16:25 pm »
Any gold plated audio related item is usually a gimmick (by default). Gold  -> expensive and rare -> must be good ...

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:05:22 pm »
Any gold plated audio related item is usually a gimmick (by default). Gold  -> expensive and rare -> must be good ...

Did you hear about this thingy by chance ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

Good luck with non-gold plated connectors in low signal path.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »

[/quote]

Those cute gold buttons sticking out of the formerly-insulated binding post are a wonderful safety feature!

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 04:43:53 pm »
They must work by causing the noise wave thingies to bounce off the end when the caps are installed. As you know, noise particulates don't penetrate the plastic around the rest of the jack.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:29 pm »
Please read my statement again and say how it is related to speaker cables.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 04:56:18 pm »
Apparently only available to Audiophools in North America (with those NEMA mains outlets)....

Offline BlueBill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:01:14 pm »
This must drive Audiofools crazy.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 05:04:58 pm »
Apparently only available to Audiophools in North America (with those NEMA mains outlets)....

Well damn Richard - I'm sick and tired of missing out on this audiophool market. Why shouldn't I create my own line of quackery and laugh all the way to the bank?  :-//
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:09:51 pm by xrunner »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 05:09:20 pm »
"The open speaker binding posts are channeling RFI and EMI noise right into the heart of your components"----As compared to the unshielded speaker wire that you use that NEVER allows EMI/RFI in. :wtf:  Back in the day, when I had a CB radio in the house, I would get into my neighbor's daughter's stereo system.  Not the TV but the stereo system.  A couple of inexpensive ferrites from Radio Shack took care of the issue.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 06:08:31 pm »
To remove the noise from unterminated connections, one should short both of them to the chassis, although that would possibly destroy the amplifier.
I think someone saw the BNC covers (with rubber gasket, not shorting male pin) that are often found on RF test equipment and did not understand the functionality but thought they looked cool.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 06:21:10 pm »
This must drive Audiofools crazy.

It would if they looked at it. Anything that isn't gold-plated and is visible must be bad for audio frequencies. Most of the audiophool stuff is designed to look expensive and make them think it's doing something special. Most of it is designed for the eye, very little of it is anything that you would actually do inside an amp or other audio device that actually makes the electronics work better. Most of the B.S. they sell stops at the input/output of the amp or the wall outlet.

Offline DmitryL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 06:22:07 pm »
Please read my statement again and say how it is related to speaker cables.

Please read your statement yourself again and show where it is related to speaker cables. 
I think it states "_Any_ gold plated audio related item..."

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 09:30:03 pm »
I think it states "_Any_ gold plated audio related item...  _ is usually a gimmick_"
Here you go. Audio related = cables, contacts, posts, earphones, speakers, etc.

When term gold is strongly marketed as a feature of an item, it can mean 3 things: item is so good that only gold is suitable for proper specs; owner is so rich that he/she plates everything in gold; some traces of gold are added to otherwise average item to claim item is golden quality. Audiophoolery of various levels often falls into latter category.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 11:33:47 pm »
Funny, those massive speaker cables are suddenly very thin and small when you take the speaker apart and look inside. they change from welding cable to something more akin to the cheapest lamp cord you can buy at the low cost mall, where it is more cheap recycled plastic insulation than copper.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 11:34:50 pm »
Funny, those massive speaker cables are suddenly very thin and small when you take the speaker apart and look inside. they change from welding cable to something more akin to the cheapest lamp cord you can buy at the low cost mall, where it is more cheap recycled plastic insulation than copper.

LOL.  8)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf