Author Topic: Good Bye Beautiful Eyes  (Read 22509 times)

Alex

Re: Good Bye Beautiful Eyes
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
I got such a laser during a visit to China. Unlike normal high-power lasers, that turned out to be a normal green laser pointer with its current source set to a ridiculous current. It only lasted for a day or two...go figure. You can build your own, I have seen HeNe, Nitrogen, CO2 lasers as well as YAG and sapphire crystals on ebay.

Speaking of eyes, here is a 'proper' eye diagram on a Hameg scope. X-Y mode, AM sine wave through capacitor. Look what engineers do at 1:42 am!  ::)

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:08 am »
i like this one
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 01:56:43 pm »
I got such a laser during a visit to China. Unlike normal high-power lasers, that turned out to be a normal green laser pointer with its current source set to a ridiculous current. It only lasted for a day or two...go figure. You can build your own, I have seen HeNe, Nitrogen, CO2 lasers as well as YAG and sapphire crystals on ebay.

Speaking of eyes, here is a 'proper' eye diagram on a Hameg scope. X-Y mode, AM sine wave through capacitor. Look what engineers do at 1:42 am!  ::)

I'm not certain in which context you are asking us to "go figure". If it is in the context of "well work THAT out if ya can...", then it is pretty obvious - the laser diode was running over-current, and burned out. Simple.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »
I'm not certain in which context you are asking us to "go figure". If it is in the context of "well work THAT out if ya can...", then it is pretty obvious - the laser diode was running over-current, and burned out. Simple.

'Go figure' is just a figure of speech or expression.
-Time

Offline glossywhite

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 04:14:31 pm »

Did you even read "in which context"? I know it is an expression. That was as obvious as the very reason the diode burned out!

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 04:51:31 pm »
Laser safety breaks down to:
1) Wear googles that block the specific wavelength/s your laser uses.
2) Do not point at people or animals.
3) Do not look at laser with remaining eye.
Well those are the more obvious ones. Is there anything not obvious that is good to know?

Are there any companies that are well known for their safety gear? Also, what companies do you think would be a "better" choice for getting laser diodes or lasers like the one this fellow used in the original post video?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 04:53:18 pm by Lance »
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
-Time

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »
http://www.kenteklaserstore.com/

http://www.thorlabs.com/
Thanks, these places look pretty good. Though they're pricey. 600 dollars for half a milliwatt! I wonder how much one of those Nd:YAG lasers costs.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:19:02 pm by Lance »
#include "main.h"

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 05:26:28 pm »
This is laboratory/science grade stuff.  You can rip the laser diode out of a computer and make a pretty powerful CW laser.

-Time

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »
This is laboratory/science grade stuff.  You can rip the laser diode out of a computer and make a pretty powerful CW laser.

I see, so where would I go to get laser diodes like the ones used in CD drives, or lasers like the one the guy used to make the gun? I found a nice selection of diodes on digikey.
#include "main.h"

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:06 pm »
Nd:YAG laser heads probably are not cheap. 

You are probably better off just salvaging the diode from a CD drive.  Maybe goto a flea market or pawn shop and buy an old PC.  It would be interesting to rig up some kind of pulsed supply to that cd-rom diode and see what kind of intensities you could get.
-Time

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 06:36:11 pm »
What does it mean?

It must me an Americanism.

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 06:48:46 pm »
eecs guy

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »
Its something you say when the unexpected has occured but is commonly used with sarcasm.  Such as this situation.
-Time

Offline SionynTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 10:33:40 pm »

eecs guy

Alex

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 12:11:43 am »
"Mosquito smoke, don't breath this!"  :D

Broadly speaking it is used to stress a point usually with a hint of irony.

Go figure back there meant: 'duh...the Chinese masterminds did it again, they managed to make a device that works for only a few minutes after it is sold'.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 02:24:49 am »
I've gotten some of the more hefty green lasers from http://www.dealextreme.com/
Don't think you can import to the USA.
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 07:53:55 pm »
To be honest I'd not like to see people (and that will include undiciplined kids in the UK) running around with one of those. That looks like it has some serious fire power for a portable device. I mean what happens if you shoot it at someone ? my guess is you seriously burn them and if you shoot a vital organ they may die on the spot ? I'm not familiar with lasers but that looks well leathal - but fun. I'd love to have one but then would I trust myself with one ?

there was also a case here in the UK where a guy blinded an airlie pilot by shooting at his plane with one of those small laser pointer thigs. People just don't under stand that they are not just a funny coloured torch

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:31 pm »
our toys aren't going to get any safer. As tech advances, so does our requirements to educate society... Pretty sure we haven't gotten this right for the last 10'000 years, and probably won't anytime soon. Government control is not the way to go, as many good books have dramatized ;)
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 08:35:58 pm »
it will not burn, but create a hole. i saw this in "starwars" and "the core" movie.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 08:40:35 pm »
sure but when kids with pellet guns are already a pain as they are not educated to not shoot at people then I'd not want to see them with such a device. We don't need goverment control we need discipline and for people to be held accountable. I don't know what UK law is like now but when i was a kid a parent was legally responsable for what their child got up to. These days kids commit murder and the parents are never put up as being partly to blame and are allowed to continue badly rearing the rest of their "clan".

Now give a kid something like that and there will be havoc, it is a firearm at best and should be treated as such. imagine what something like that would do if shot at a persons heart or head ? people will not understand that it is more than a fancy torch.

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2011, 01:01:25 am »
That would definitely blind someone, or cause a pretty severe burn. But it has a pretty small focal point. It's not like you could cook someone's arm with it.
#include "main.h"

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2011, 06:43:45 am »
it will not burn, but create a hole. i saw this in "starwars" and "the core" movie.

"The core" used a combination of lasers and pulsed ultrasonic waves to create the hole.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:50 am »
That would definitely blind someone, or cause a pretty severe burn. But it has a pretty small focal point. It's not like you could cook someone's arm with it.

no you would probably make a pin hole in yuor arm - a bit like a bullet

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2011, 07:29:24 am »
But it has a pretty small focal point. It's not like you could cook someone's arm with it.
just enough to make you wonder why there is a small hole going through your arm, and a bit of itchy and numb feeling.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf