Author Topic: Good Bye Ingenuity Mars Helicopter  (Read 2565 times)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Bye Ingenuity Mars Helicopter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2024, 03:42:55 am »
This is stunningly good at first glance.  And gets better when you think about it.

Just what percentage of commercial RC helicopters/drones make it to 75 flights before an accident requiring repairs?  With outdoor overwinter storage.  My observations at local RC flying fields and around town would indicate that it is single digit or less.  And it is a much easier environment.

Yes but I'm certain those also doesn't cost the same that this one costs and how hand picked/tested his components must had been to endure such environment...

Very true.  But most earthly RC helicopters/drones do not crash or stop operation because of failed components.  The number one cause of mortality is operator error.  With hanger rash (storage accidents) being next in line.  And many are operated line of sight.  None of them have any significant communications lag.   Try flying your drone when you have to make all your commands and decisions several minutes to hours before the flight takes place, and you can only do your flight planning with satellite images.  And where the classic earthbound response to avoid terrain etc. is to fly higher, the air at ground level on Mars is already so thin that climbing is next to impossible.

I'm not ready to say that NASA has their mojo back, but I could pretty easily go along with JPL never lost theirs.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2024, 12:42:39 pm »
I suspect that image was made in Wadi Rum, Jordan.

It was.
You can play pretend martian there:
https://wildmanlife.com/wadi-rum-desert-camp/

That seems like an awful lot of decking. Presumably for the sun loungers and BBQs!  :popcorn:
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2024, 04:52:37 am »
This is stunningly good at first glance.  And gets better when you think about it.

Just what percentage of commercial RC helicopters/drones make it to 75 flights before an accident requiring repairs?  With outdoor overwinter storage.  My observations at local RC flying fields and around town would indicate that it is single digit or less.  And it is a much easier environment.

Yes but I'm certain those also doesn't cost the same that this one costs and how hand picked/tested his components must had been to endure such environment...

Very true.  But most earthly RC helicopters/drones do not crash or stop operation because of failed components.  The number one cause of mortality is operator error.  With hanger rash (storage accidents) being next in line.  And many are operated line of sight.  None of them have any significant communications lag.   Try flying your drone when you have to make all your commands and decisions several minutes to hours before the flight takes place, and you can only do your flight planning with satellite images.  And where the classic earthbound response to avoid terrain etc. is to fly higher, the air at ground level on Mars is already so thin that climbing is next to impossible.

I'm not ready to say that NASA has their mojo back, but I could pretty easily go along with JPL never lost theirs.

Very true indeed. That is probably the most remarkable thing, the planning of the flights way in advance other than "we think it will go well but only when it lands safely we can say for sure since we are not sending commands live" type of feedback we are used to.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2024, 05:10:35 am »
I suspect that image was made in Wadi Rum, Jordan.

It was.
You can play pretend martian there:
https://wildmanlife.com/wadi-rum-desert-camp/

That seems like an awful lot of decking. Presumably for the sun loungers and BBQs!  :popcorn:

MAYBE a bit of a safety thing too for venomous snakes

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2024, 11:55:29 am »
Neither would be part of the authentic Mars experience.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2024, 09:00:51 pm »
And if you squint real hard, you can see an Elon Musk lookalike standing close to a Starship mock-up.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf