Author Topic: Good Bye Ingenuity Mars Helicopter  (Read 2559 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Good Bye Ingenuity Mars Helicopter
« on: January 26, 2024, 09:56:08 pm »
Salute the fallen.
What a mission.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, rdl, BrianHG, Mortymore

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Bye Ingenuity Mars Helicopter
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2024, 05:21:33 am »
Nice, but I'm waiting for some helicopter that can fly in a complete vacuum.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2024, 09:09:19 am »
Nice, but I'm waiting for some helicopter that can fly in a complete vacuum.

What would be the application for this, given that complete vacuum is something you only see inside laboratory experiments?   :popcorn:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2024, 09:17:28 am »
I think it would damage my dyson.

The following users thanked this post: tom66

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2024, 04:17:21 pm »
Here's the problem:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 07:48:54 pm »
that looks like the desert it makes me think you can live there. it looks like Tunisia

does that picture make you think extra terrestrial life is certain and common in the universe?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 07:51:17 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 10:50:17 pm »
An old Bob and Ray comedy sketch with an interview of one of the first US astronauts to land on Mars.
He had been criticized for his initial statement “It looks like my driveway in Tucson”, and wanted to set the record straight “My driveway is red”.
Similarly, as tourists we visited Wadi Rum in Jordan, which was an important base for T E Lawrence in WW I and later used in movies to represent Mars.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 11:51:18 pm »
does that picture make you think extra terrestrial life is certain and common in the universe?

Nope. Looks completely lifeless.
They just found huge new water ice deposits. Slim but non-zero chance there.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 12:10:56 am »
but the sand and stuff is so close to what it looks like on earth and the sky looks almost identical to documentaries I have seen shot about deserts. It looks entirely to me that its just a matter of timing.

Makes me think about if there was life on mars what the last creatures there were, if it had a atmosphere for a short period of time. some kind of crab like things come to mind. There is just something very earth like about that picture........ it seems like the same thing you would see to change your tire in the desert some where on earth. uncanny
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:16:19 am by coppercone2 »

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 02:46:58 am »
If there was ever life on Mars in the past, the environmental conditions time window for such evolution to occur would be only be 100 million years or so..... way too short a time for any complex life to evolve (i.e. anything with a brain).

Nevertheless, there are chemical biosignatures of life on Mars that require investigation, hence the reason for the existence of the Mars planetary science program from Viking to Pathfinder/Sojourner to Perseverance/Ingenuity.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 07:30:20 pm »
When I first heard about this project, I thought they were a bit crazy and didn't see any point. Now I think it's likely that all future Mars Rovers will be accompanied by at least one or two "Little Buddies". Good job.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 09:24:38 pm »
but the sand and stuff is so close to what it looks like on earth and the sky looks almost identical to documentaries I have seen shot about deserts. It looks entirely to me that its just a matter of timing.

Makes me think about if there was life on mars what the last creatures there were, if it had a atmosphere for a short period of time. some kind of crab like things come to mind. There is just something very earth like about that picture........ it seems like the same thing you would see to change your tire in the desert some where on earth. uncanny

There is absolutely no way, from the picture above, to tell where it comes from indeed. No way to tell for sure that it's not been taken on Earth, for instance.
There's no way to tell much of anything from a single picture anyway.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 09:27:39 pm »
normally the outer space pictures usually feel like there is something off about them

Offline Andy Chee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 11:15:10 pm »

There is absolutely no way, from the picture above, to tell where it comes from indeed. No way to tell for sure that it's not been taken on Earth, for instance.
There's no way to tell much of anything from a single picture anyway.
One would presume that Ingenuity was roughly scouting the route ahead when it came down.  If so, the Perseverance rover should eventually reach Ingenuity's location, maybe take a picture of the surroundings to examine any ground impact damage.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2024, 12:27:30 am »
One would presume that Ingenuity was roughly scouting the route ahead when it came down.  If so, the Perseverance rover should eventually reach Ingenuity's location, maybe take a picture of the surroundings to examine any ground impact damage.

That would be really cool. Big PR value there.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2024, 12:28:28 am »
When I first heard about this project, I thought they were a bit crazy and didn't see any point. Now I think it's likely that all future Mars Rovers will be accompanied by at least one or two "Little Buddies". Good job.

Seems like a no-brainer.

Online MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2024, 02:33:31 am »
One day Elon Musk steps out of his Starship at the chopper resting site and gently slides down the ladder to the dusty ground
of Mars and then utter; one leap for man kind, one giant for me and then replaces the damaged prop blade! One day...sooon.  :phew:

The following users thanked this post: quince

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2024, 04:33:56 am »
The video’s parting words gave me the chills. NASA it’s once again finding its Mojo.  :-+ :-+

“Make the impossible, possible. That is what we do at NASA”.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2024, 05:21:04 am »
This is stunningly good at first glance.  And gets better when you think about it.

Just what percentage of commercial RC helicopters/drones make it to 75 flights before an accident requiring repairs?  With outdoor overwinter storage.  My observations at local RC flying fields and around town would indicate that it is single digit or less.  And it is a much easier environment.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2024, 06:10:16 am »
One day...sooon.  :phew:

Dont hold your breath.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2024, 06:10:49 am »
This is stunningly good at first glance.  And gets better when you think about it.

Just what percentage of commercial RC helicopters/drones make it to 75 flights before an accident requiring repairs?  With outdoor overwinter storage.  My observations at local RC flying fields and around town would indicate that it is single digit or less.  And it is a much easier environment.

Yes but I'm certain those also doesn't cost the same that this one costs and how hand picked/tested his components must had been to endure such environment...

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2024, 06:33:24 am »
normally the outer space pictures usually feel like there is something off about them

Maybe what you're noticing is the general ambience of the camera used to take the picture.

Most space photos are taken with rather boring scientifically calibrated low-resolution CCDs. Ingenuity used a Snapdragon SoC and a camera (IMX214) which is common in modern smartphones.

well shit it just means the planet is more earth like if all it takes is the same camera.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2024, 08:43:37 am »
well shit it just means the planet is more earth like if all it takes is the same camera.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2024, 03:41:02 pm »
I suspect that image was made in Wadi Rum, Jordan.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2024, 03:28:27 am »
I suspect that image was made in Wadi Rum, Jordan.

It was.
You can play pretend martian there:
https://wildmanlife.com/wadi-rum-desert-camp/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf