Author Topic: Good Engineerin or Coincidence?  (Read 286 times)

Offline watchmakerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
Good Engineerin or Coincidence?
« on: February 16, 2024, 02:06:09 pm »
The front lens panel of my dash cam popped off the other day.  The Li battery swelled and popped it out of its keepers.

Either it was a great design decision to place the battery under that panel so that when it failed, it would provide an unmistakeable warning  Or, just luck.  I prefer to believe the former (I am an optimist).

Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the battery.  Maybe shoot it with a BB gun?? ;)

2019761-0
Regards,

Dewey

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Good Engineerin or Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 02:13:37 pm »
Luck.

Do you intend to repair it? It should be fairly easy to find a replacement.

Regarding disposal: contact your local authority if you're feeling conscientious, otherwise toss it in the trash. It's much smaller than the lithium ion batteries in single use vapes, which routinely get dumped on the street or in a park, where they end up in the water course.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 02:13:39 pm »
I would favour connecting it to some suitable power supply, say, 60V @ 10A

Obvs outside and at a safe distance...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 03:06:21 pm »
How old is your dash cam?  I keep one of my LG cell phones for over fifteen years and I had to replace the battery twice after it swelled up like that.  In my case, the battery swelled so much that it popped the battery door off, but the battery was still working.

FWIW I finally bought a new phone when all of the TelCos REQUIRED 5G capable phones a few years ago but I still have the old phone and even though it won't connect to the current network, it still works.  IIRC I bought the phone in 2001.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf