General > General Technical Chat

Good quality tiny speakers

(1/2) > >>

benjius:
Hi All!

I'm building a tiny radio player around the Si4735 (does AM and FM !) my original plan was to use headphones only but a lot of people told me that It would be nice to have an internal speaker, ideal for those "social gatherings" and so on, Although I really hate the sound of those internal speakers the decision is not up to me any more.
I've been looking around (digi, mouser, farnell) and yes there are a LOT of tiny little speakers, but apart from the datasheets there is no real information about their sound quality and we know vendors always lie or exaggerate.
I know a lot of EE love to work with audio, not my case, I believe I've better chances of finding a good speaker by asking you.
Any good advice on this search ?

Thanks in advance.

Ronnie:

--- Quote from: benjius on July 13, 2011, 03:05:19 am ---but apart from the datasheets there is no real information about their sound quality and we know vendors always lie or exaggerate.
--- End quote ---

Audio is both art and science. In terms of sound quality this is very very subjective!   ???

EEVblog:

--- Quote from: Ronnie on July 13, 2011, 04:29:11 am ---
--- Quote from: benjius on July 13, 2011, 03:05:19 am ---but apart from the datasheets there is no real information about their sound quality and we know vendors always lie or exaggerate.
--- End quote ---

Audio is both art and science. In terms of sound quality this is very very subjective!   ???

--- End quote ---

I have a funny story about that.
A company that shall not be named had a product with small stereo speakers mounted on the (bare) board.
The sound had to be "just right" and the CEO only liked the sound quality from one particular cheap brand PC speaker.
Try as we might to buy the speaker separately (and there were plenty available in the standard size footprint to chose from), the CEO insisted that we must use THAT speaker.
The end result? For production, we had to buy thousands of these cheap PC speakers in their original boxes and hire a company to strip them down, desolder and remove the speakers, and toss away the rest of the case and electronics, and then deliver us the speakers!

Crazy stuff.

Dave.

Zero999:
It depends on what you mean by small.

What physical dimensions, power rating and impedance do you require?

Note that you won't find a good sounding 0.5W 30mm speaker because it won't be large or powerful enough to give a decent amount of bass and even the treble won't be great as it will be designed to work over as broader range of frequencies as possible.

Here's a link to a 50mm 4W speaker which gives a reasonably flat response from 200Hz to 20kHz. For some bass I suggest using a boost filter set just below 200Hz or better, adding a mini woofer in a suitable enclosure.
http://www.visaton.de/en/industrie/breitband/frws5r_8.html

pirulo123:
I just can't believe your story Dave, you have to write material for Dilbert, If Jerry Seinfeld got rich talking about peanuts and airplanes I'm sure you can make some money with these stories !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version