Author Topic: Google Chrome Laptop  (Read 4660 times)

Offline sonicjTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
Google Chrome Laptop
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:21:10 am »
http://www.google.com/chromeos/pilot-program.html

i started to apply, but then decided not to... i just don't think it will fit into my current workflow. anyone here have one?
-sj

Offline Jon Chandler

• Frequent Contributor
    • Throw Away PIC
Re: Google Chrome Laptop
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:24:25 am »
My partner took a "Do you live on the web" quiz on Facebook to win a Chrome sticker.  A week later, an unmarked box appeared at the door with a sticker...and a laptop!

He loves it.  Incredible battery life (more than 8 hours of continuous use) and it works pretty well.

He did have some coms probably.  Google said he could return it, with no guarantee of getting anything back.  Re-seating the RF connector on the 3G card solved the problem.

It's very thin and light, and there's not a name or label anywhere on the outside of it.  The only info is in the battery compartment under the battery.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 04:15:24 am »
What the heck, I applied for it.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:44:23 am »
is open to individuals, businesses, schools, non-profits and developers based in the United States.

Leaving the greater proportion of your potential market out of your development loop isn't exactly the best move for any corporation aspiring for world leadership in their industry sector. If Android developers had any kind of clue they'd be craving feedback from Dave EEVBLOG and equally importantly from my Australian POV. It's their loss.

Offline JohnS_AZ

• Frequent Contributor
    • About.me
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:09:04 am »
I get your frustration, but given the horror stories about import taxes and tariffs on stuff heading into various countries I can understand why companies limit such things. Heck, even I limit my eBay sales to North America buyers. Shipping internationally is too big a pain in the ass.
I'm either at my bench, here, or on PokerStars.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:32:17 am »
I get your frustration

Thanks for the concern, but living in continental USA I very much doubt you'd understand.

but given the horror stories about import taxes and tariffs on stuff heading into various countries I can understand why companies limit such things.

Arguably the largest world power and Import/Export is too difficult? The funny thing is there doesn't appear to be any trouble when it comes to dumping last years product range into our markets. Yeah we infidels are all too stupid to notice, and just love US centric database fields and spelling in all our products.  Hell if Microsoft can remain ignorant to most of the planet why the hell would Google want to do things better?  What do these foreigners expect? Better products or something?

Heck, even I limit my eBay sales to North America buyers. Shipping internationally is too big a pain in the ass.

As a private individual with limited time and resources I  can understand that, but then you aren't exactly preparing for a world wide sales push and move towards market domination.  (If you are e-Bay may not be the best vehicle for this :))  This is Google we are talking about and like all who have floundered before them they choose to insulate all development to within continental USA. Any way you look at it, it is a dumb decision for a large corporation wishing to remain a large corporation.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:37:42 am by Uncle Vernon »

Offline mitpatterson

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 12:04:00 am »
I have one, got it about 2 weeks ago, i don't really use it much at home as i use my desktop all the time as it is, but i take it to class, last all day on a charge(and then some) love the quick boot up, and almost instant wake from sleep, i was never notified that i was going to recieve it other than the unmarked box showing up, and other than a small snafu the other day with a forum thingy, haven't recieved any emails from them, so i say, its free, why not take your chances of getting one, its not like they make you agree to give up your first born or anything, no highly secret info(ss #, DL # the like)

When i recieved the speakers where intermintent, so i contacted their support "ninjas", they had me update the OS, that didn't fix it, but the sound was fine thought the headphone jack, so i figured must be hardware, the guy said(and i quote),

Quote from: Google Chrome OS "Ninja"
Thanks for your message.
 At this point the only option that I can offer is to return / RMA the device
 but cannot guaranty that you will receive a return unit, because of the
 nature of the beta program.

Various forums describe disassembly instructions if you wish to attempt
  your own repairs..

If you wish to return the device please provide a daytime contact number
  and an address and I will begin the return process

so he basically said, can't gguarentee replacement, but go ahead and take it apart we don't care, lol, so i opened it up(only phillips, no torx or "security" screws) found the connector on the mobo for the speakers, and i gave that a quick reflow(heated and added a bit of solder) works like a charm now, they must had a cold joint or something, but i don't complain too much for free stuff, i mean, who doesn't like free stuff?  ;D

Also right now to view a .doc from like my college, it tries to open a new tab with it in google docs, but that doesn't work, i have to right click, download, then upload to google docs, so sorta a hack job right now, and i asked the "ninja" and he said thats basically the work around right now, unless i find a app or extention in the store for it, but i haven't felt like trying to find one.

Sorry if this is sorta lenghly

**Disclaimer**
I am not directly affilated with Google(not a employee, i wish). I HAVE been comensated in the form of free merchandise(free CR-48). I HAVE NOT been compensated in any currency(money). I was not asked by Google to do a review or anything like that, i have written this out of my own free will.

My views expressed above are mine, and mine alone, they do not reflect those of Google(except as noted by a quote of a Google employee), Dave Jones, This forum, or any other member of the forum.

**/End Disclaimer**

Offline sonicjTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 10:59:33 am »
great story mitpatterson!

how does it handle pdf files? i mean, can you store them locally?  so what did you put down for "What would make you a unique Pilot user?"

funny thing now that i think about it... i totally saw this coming! the second i saw google docs, i thought "i bet google comes out with a free thin client operating system with either free or highly subsidized terminals." the only difference is, i figured they would be iMac style desktops. but that was like 5 years ago; lcds were cheap, laptops were still relatively expensive. my next prediction: they don't turn off the tap! they'll either keep shipping these units for free, or at some ridiculously low price.

remember the ads in minority report? well if not, here's what im talking about:
[youtube][/youtube]
yeap, thats google in the next couple of years.  :-\
-sj

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf