Author Topic: Google Glass to stop production.  (Read 8931 times)

Offline aargeeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Google Glass to stop production.
« on: January 16, 2015, 10:16:48 am »
Did it all get too hard?
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Google Glass to stop production.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 10:23:45 am »
They've stopped production of the Explorer Edition

Future versions of Glass are still being developed and will be released when they're ready

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:40:33 am »
I guess that's a nice statement from Google, I'm sure we'll see some sexy new design for glasses from someone in the future.
But if you paid $1500 for Google Glass "Explorer Edition", it looks like development for that unit stops here.
Certainly if the Glass was introduced at a perceived throw away price point - but $1500? Maybe the agreement you got with them gave you some idea this would be the outcome, I don't know.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:17 am »
They say it has been an exciting ride. Its nice of them to admit they took early adopters for a ride.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
Someone just realised that not enough people want to walk round looking like dicks
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:35:07 am »
well the whole thing was just an experiment / research project on googles part

i'm expecting something else will be announced which will be cheaper, more practical and accepting to the public based on their experiences

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:27 pm »
From what has been said here, it looks like this was a push to evolve a new headset and leave behind the old Olympus Eye Trek format. What surprises me is the cost  Vs projected life of the product. If I had spent that sort of money I would have hoped to be included in ongoing feature development or at least offered a huge discount on the next generation of improved glasses. So this was aimed at the 'Geeks' and 'Must have it cos its cool' brigade ?

I am happy to admit that I have many sets of Olympus eye Trek FMD200 and FMD700 glasses, plus some very high resolution medical video glasses. I would not wear any of them in public though ! I use them for work and experimentation. There are times when they are a better solution than a hand held monitor. If Google can come up with something that does not make me look like a total wally, I might be tempted but otherwise these glasses tend to make one look like a total nerd  ;D

I personally have no desire to look like Geordi La Forge  :-DD

Aurora
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:00:42 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
Someone just realised that not enough people want to walk round looking like dicks

The term is "glasshole", apparently.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 12:57:56 pm »
The only thing I can thing of for which something like this could be occasionally useful is a head-up display for a scope or DMM, but probably not often enough to be worth spending much on.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline 3roomlab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 01:08:53 pm »
geordi's vizor looks way cooler ... and he sees every spectrum doesnt he ?
i would take his vizor for a spin anyday

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:44 pm »
The only thing I can thing of for which something like this could be occasionally useful is a head-up display for a scope or DMM, but probably not often enough to be worth spending much on.

The patent for Google Glass was originally owned by Agilent, and transferred to Google in 2006. http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6735328.PN.&OS=PN/6735328&RS=PN/6735328

I can't find reference to it now, but I'm sure somewhere I've seen a pic of a dude wearing specs with a HUD in an Agilent brochure for its older Infiniiums from the early /mid 2000s.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:38:28 pm by Howardlong »

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 04:25:33 pm »
What I can imagine a use for is a life recorder....... that is to say a miniature camera that is recording what your eyes are seeing, a sot of human 'black box'. Useful in many ways, including those never to be repeated moments that you wished you had captured on your camera or iphone. All without the wearer needing to interact with it for recording or aiming.

An interesting trend has been recognised by stage performers recently. Many people are viewing their world through the screen of their iPhones as they try to 'capture the moment'. The result is that they miss the broader image that the human eye and brain creates. I know what they mean. I recorded the Adelaide River Jumping crocodiles and say them via a monochrome viewfinder.... I only saw them in colour when watching the recording played back on a TV. I missed the full live experience as a result.

Food for thought. Augmented reality may have its place but I hope we do not end up distancing ourselves from the full spectrum of reality like some sort of XBox or PS2 drones  living 'inside the box'  :scared:  A smart watch may be a far more useful accessory if it can quickly present you with information as and when you need it........ much like a conventional watch  ;D

Aurora

Online Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 06:53:54 pm »
Here you go

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 08:04:01 pm »
Glass was touted to us by management as a field service aid of the future, a human drone would go on site wearing the glasses and someone like me would be sitting in a bunker going " a little to the left, yes now cut the red wire"...
That idea did have some merit.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 09:11:31 pm »
What I can imagine a use for is a life recorder....... that is to say a miniature camera that is recording what your eyes are seeing, a sot of human 'black box'. Useful in many ways, including those never to be repeated moments that you wished you had captured on your camera or iphone. All without the wearer needing to interact with it for recording or aiming.

It can create all kinds of problems as shown in the movie Final Cut. :)

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:24:44 pm »
I hadn't heard of that film before. It is food for thought ! I would not support implantation of electronic systems not essential for the hosts survival as that opens a real can of worms  :scared:

Aurora

Offline LukeW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 11:34:00 am »
I think people just need to learn to accept the social issues - i.e. that guy is walking around with a wearable camera, he could be filming us, what an arsehole! - etc. With this generation of engineering it's obviously visible when somebody is wearing it, but what happens with improved technology in the future when you can walk around wearing the same capability but nobody can see it? You just have to learn to deal with those social concerns, and getting this technology out there in its current level of maturity forces that discussion to happen.

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 03:24:54 pm »
geordi's vizor looks way cooler ... and he sees every spectrum doesnt he ?
i would take his vizor for a spin anyday

If you want the headaches that went with it, then by all means.  :P
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 10:16:32 pm »

There's also a big discrepantion between the gloss-advertising, and what I expierience with my -200eur smartphone.
If I try to imitate the functionality the googleglasser's "expieriences", my battery is flat in <2 hours. And the glass is a lot smaller.

Maybe the 6-kilo battery pack doesn't look too sexy in the promo video's
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 10:21:46 pm »
Glass was touted to us by management as a field service aid of the future, a human drone would go on site wearing the glasses and someone like me would be sitting in a bunker going " a little to the left, yes now cut the red wire"...
That idea did have some merit.

That could work, but maybe order the controllable arm option, so you can cut the wire yourself with a joystick.
The guy that wants to walk with such glasses and listen to you, would ruin it anyway, believe me.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 10:29:44 pm »
Interestingly I did some research on high performance (read very expensive) digital video glasses for use by surgeons during medical procedures, such as endoscopy. The conclusion was that even the most expensive glasses were inferior to viewing a TFT monitor. I managed to get my paws on two sets of such HD medical glasses. The technology will always be challenged in providing the user with an adequate viewing experience. I use mine rarely and only for endoscopy work where they are useful.

Aurora

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf