Author Topic: google sucks without cache  (Read 728 times)

Offline coppercone2Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • $
google sucks without cache
« on: March 09, 2024, 11:23:06 pm »
Now that they got rid of caches the internet is more fragile then ever. You used to be able to over come minor outages to get information quite often, Not anymore.

I don't know where they got their internet reliability data. Perhaps from the chinese government.

I look forward to getting the infromation at a later time, when some body fixes some esoteric crap next month when I don't have spare time and I forgot what I was even trying to do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2024, 11:27:57 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline BrokenYugo

• Super Contributor
Re: google sucks without cache
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 03:25:23 am »
I hardly noticed cache went away because I can never find those old sites in the first place anymore. Really need a crash course on how/where to search for stuff anymore, used to be able to find nearly anything with Google, especially if I'd seen it before, not anymore.

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 03:34:28 am »

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 07:43:41 am »
It's been ages since I've used that feature since it never seemed to have anything saved when I needed it.

Even Duck Duck Go is considerably worse than I remember a couple of years back. I suspect it's not just organic poor operation but political interference or aversion to controversy or non-family friendly content.

I usual cross reference searches with Yandex now.

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2024, 12:13:11 pm »
Its was a handy feature that I used rarely but when you needed it was there. Google claim the internet is more reliable so it was a.pit of date tool.

Thing is, too many companies redesign thier website every year that many useful pages just get lost. It can be rather annoying when you finally find a Google search that has the snippet of text that looks almost exactly what you want the it is rather annoying when the site opens on a 404 and the info is lost.

Got bored on that YT video, I guess it doesn't talk about the cache, just another crazy idea of what the internet should be.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

Online Faranight

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2024, 03:17:01 pm »
I have to at least partially agree with that video. I've dumped google and gmail well over 10 years ago, and I'm quite happy with the decision. I must be one of the people still living in the wilderness of the internet, as the video mentions.
The searches on Google have become much worse over the years. They give less and less useful information, and having asked on other places like mailing lists and classic forums (like this one) I get answers way faster and way more accurate.

e-Mail? e-Fail.

Offline Xor

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 08:15:45 pm »
I guess you’ve seen https://archive.org/web/ … might have what you need

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike, Someone

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 04:14:27 am »
Google sucks, but even more without cache.
Before that, they had forum search and other very useful features, but because they're such jerks they did remove them as well.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2024, 10:13:02 am »
Another video related to the problem.

https://youtu.be/mr026OIMYRE
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 10:42:49 am »
I have surprisingly enough started to find ChatGPT more useful for finding odd things.

For instance "what Python function do I use to sort a list in descending order?" or "<description of film in early 2000's give me the name>".  To my surprise ChatGPT is really good at finding films based on my illusory memory as a child, which is something Google sucks at.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 10:49:08 am by tom66 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf