Author Topic: (Solved) Laptop Caddy connector identification. Getac and Itronix laptops  (Read 341 times)

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
This is one of those "do you recognise this connector" posts but I have done plenty of searching before asking.... honest !  :)

I have two makes of ruggedized laptops that use the same format of connector on their hard disk caddy's, just with differnt numbers of pins.

I am providing some pictures from eBay of the caddy used in the Roda Rocky rugged laptops. The sellers pictures show the connector details. Of significance for identification is the offset locating spigots at each end of the connector. There are absolutely no manufacturer letters, part numbers or logos on the connector of the caddy or laptop. I have searched HRS and other common connector manufacturers, but with no success. HRS have something similar but no offset on the spigots and not compatible even with modification. I believe the connectors are described as "Mezzanine connectors" or PCB interconnect connectors.

The Roda rocky uses a 50 pin version of the connector as it is IDE whereas the Itronix/General Dynamics XR1 and GD8000 series rugged laptops use a lesser number of pins connector as it is SATA.

I would really appreciate any suggestions as to who the manufacturer of this connector might be. Even if I cannot buy the identical  connector, I may be able to modify another in the companies range.

I have 6 Roda Rocky's and 8 General Dynamics GD8000's needing these connectors as the caddy's are crazy money for what they are.

Sincerest thanks in advance

Fraser 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 03:21:28 pm by Fraser »

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
What's the pitch spacing?
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
I will check and come back to you.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor

Connector is 50 contacts total. 25 contacts per side - wipe contacts.

Contact Pitch is 1.27mm

Connector total width including locating spigots but not side 'wings' is 35mm

Connector total width including locating spigots and side 'wings' is 44.5mm

Connector height, not including side 'wings' is 4.8mm

Connector height, including side 'wings' is 6.6mm

Inner slot is 1.7mm high by 32.4mm long

Alignment spigots are rectangular at base and form a spike at the end. They are NOT aligned with the central slot, being offset to create a connector orientation safety feature. Dimensions are 2.87mm x 1.77mm

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:22:01 pm by Fraser »

Online daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
Inner slot is 1.7mm high by 32.4mm long
I don't know the specific connector, but given the 1.7mm height, it might be used as a board edge connector? You could probably make a PCB counterpart if you can't find the proper counter part.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:35:21 pm by daqq »
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
The laptop has the mating connector inside, so not a PCB edge connector but you make a good point. I could always look to adapt another connector that is designed using the same contact pitch and slot height. I would prefer to find the correct connector if possible as this is a removable hard disk caddy.

When I first met the connector format on the Itronix/General Dynamics XR1 and GD8000 laptops, I thought it was a custom part as I could not identify it. Now that I have seen the exact same connector format on the RODA Rocky, I am thinking it must be a COTS part, likely from a well known manufacturer. The problem is, which manufacturer ?

Fraser

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
I don't know the specific connector, but given the 1.7mm height, it might be used as a board edge connector? You could probably make a PCB counterpart if you can't find the proper counter part.

That was my thought. There were many computers like the early Commodore that used the edge of the mobo for connetcors. I remember it well because I used them in projects. And they had game cartridges that had connector that fit the edge of the mobo. 

What I mean is that even though it might look like a dedicated connector it might just be the edge of a PCB protruding there.

It also reminds me of the old Centronics printer connector.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
I have been inside the laptops to see whether I could change the connector to something more common. Sadly it is definitely a proper mezzanine PCB connector pair. Interestingly, both connectors in the pair are through ho,e type and not surface mount which is what I expected to see. This could be for reasons associated with the use of a rugged laptop of course. Through hole may be more rugged than reflowed surface mount connections.

I have found very similar connectors that have different alignment pin designs or an outer D shell design in place of such pins. I may have to buy something close to right and modify it to mate with the laptops connector. Before I do that I will be searching the product ranges of all the common connector manufacturers, including some that I have never heard of !

I did some Googling on the top connector OEM’s in the World and found the league tables for each year.

The resulting list is as follows :

TE Connectivity
Amphenol
Molex Inc
Delphi Connection Systems
Yazaki
Foxconn (FIT)
JAE
Luxshare Precision
J.S.T
Hirose
Rosenburger
Sumitro morning Wiring Systems
Jonhon
Harting
Samtec
Shenzhen Deren Electric Co. Ltd
Phoenix Contact
Fujikura/DDK Ltd
Korea Terminal Co.
AVX Kyocera

Quite a list for me to work through !

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Well after a lot more searching with Google in image mode, I think I have identified the connector make. I believe it to be a product of KEL. AliExpress list a 100 pin version here.....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32475566031.html

Time to start digging into KEL connector  listings and suppliers. RS sell some.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Yep it is a match to the KEL 8900 series connectors  :-+

https://www.kel.jp/files/topics/376_ext_19_en_0.pdf

Web page

https://www.kel.jp/english/product/product_detail/?id=376&p_cont=39&pageID=3%20#search_result

Now to track down a UK agent for them.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:18:07 am by Fraser »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
Re: HELP ! Laptop Caddy connector identification. Do you recognise the format ?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 04:25:01 am »
It looks like I need a KEL 8901-050-177-S-A-F socket for my DIY Roda Rocky HDD caddy’s

Radio Spares are a KEL agent but the connectors are on back order so I will have to wait.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:50:53 am by Fraser »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf