Author Topic: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued  (Read 85071 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »
Yes, they are.  $45 includes the iron?  If the units are working just replacing the heating element and the tip, the unit is as good as new, even if not they are very easy to repair.  I would offer as SLJ and take them all.

I found these today at my local electronic surplus/junkyard warehouse. With all this talk about Hakko's I wonder if they are worth picking up.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »
Then you can share them with us!  ;D

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »
Yes $45 including the iron but not sure if the iron holder comes with it but I don't think that would be a deal breaker!
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
I'd pay you about 15$ plus shipping just for the holder... bought a 936 from eBay a while ago and I didn't get the holder for it.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--One of my 936s has a broken knob. It still works, but it is cockeyed. If anyone ends up with an extra knob that they would be willing to sell, please send me a PM.

"Does not squirrel crack nuts on bough of oak tree."
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
Checking catalog, Hakko FX951 tips are between $30-45 each, whereas JBC tips are about $20-30.  FX888 genuine tips are between $3-10 each, reputable Plato brand compatible about same price, and Chinese copies for $1 each.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »
Everyone's talking about the FX-888 being discontinued and i'm using a cheap radio-shack soldering iron.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
Everyone's talking about the FX-888 being discontinued and i'm using a cheap radio-shack soldering iron.

If you use it at all regularly do yourself a favor and upgrade.  Thermostats are awesome.  Cheap variable power irons are really not much better than a fixed iron.  They get too hot when idle and burn up the tip, then cool down too much when they have to melt solder.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
Soldering existed before temp controlled irons became the norm.  When I started, speed and a touch was part of the skill.  When we didn't have main power available, I could even solder with a candle, at worse with different sized nails held with pliers if we didn't have thick gauge copper wires we could sharpen to a tip and dip in rosin. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:40:42 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline perfect_disturbance

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:15 am »
Soldering existed before temp controlled irons became the norm.  When I started, speed and a touch was part of the skill.  When we didn't have main power available, I could even solder with a candle, at worse with different sized nails held with pliers if we didn't have thick gauge copper wires we could sharpen to a tip and dip in rosin. 
A thick gage copper wire eh... You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.
:)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »
You yunguns have a lot to learn:

The direct flame or candle technique can be used for soldering wires and large leads.  It also generates enough heat to solder metals for small plumbing tasks.  In western countries, the were less primitive and used blow torches. Today, those irons are 'high teched' as portable butane soldering irons such as Weller's Portasol but in a pinch you can make do with whatever you have around you.

A thick gage copper wire eh... You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
Here's my favorite (1800's):

And the much later cordless heater version:

Of course wires were bigger then...

Offline perfect_disturbance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 07:37:43 pm »

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

No I believe you I just can't resist a good Monty Python reference.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
oh! that one escaped me, mea culpa ...:-/O

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

.. you're right.  A good reference   :-DD

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

No I believe you I just can't resist a good Monty Python reference.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:07 am »

You could afford a paper bag? :o

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 03:15:25 am »
RE: Weller WLC100
No idea but i've been looking on amazon, still very expensive for essentially a light dimmer in a box that is practically useless for electronics i'll tell ya

Guess whose dumbass bought one!? Me! Me!

Treating myself to an FX-888 this Christmas.

To be fair, I've gotten very good at soldering with it. But if you forget to turn it off, oh boy, better go buy a spare tip because you probably have a nice crusty oxidized, hardened, dead tip on your iron.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:17:31 am by FenderBender »

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:24 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I just noticed these on eBay; Hakko 936 stations less transformer for $26.95 and $6.00 shipping, from Korea. I thought one of these might be of some use to you denizens of 220/240 Volt lands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-936-Soldering-Iron-Station-Controller-New-Housing-Case-Compatible-DIY-/130614660049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e693d8bd1

--By the way, my next house will have a 240 Volt plug in the kitchen, so I can use one of those British tea pots. I hate waiting for water to boil, 240 is definitely superior in this case.

---As FenderBender says leaving it on is always a hazard, but made less so by das blinkenlight mod. What we really need is a modification which cuts the power off after the wand has not been removed for 30 or 60 minutes.

"I wear suspenders and a belt. I am a security man all the way"
Justin Wilson (The Cajun Cook) 1914 - 2001

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 04:07:43 pm »
On timers:

You can always get one of these and plug your 888 into it, saves the trouble of modding it:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-F7C009q-Energy-Saving/dp/B003P2UMS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354204670&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+shut+off+timer

You can find various variations in your hardware store for fully adjustable cutoff times, or fixed times, all typically $6-20, cheaper than the parts you'd have to buy to do the mod.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:11:58 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »
Dear Saturation:

--Not  the perfect solution but a bloody darn good one, cheaper and easier. I am ordering one right now from the source below which in the US is a tad cheaper, considering Amazon's shipping charge. I feel safer already. I have really curious cats that love to play with dangling wires. I recommend this one for everyone with kids or pets. Thanks Mate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-Power-Timer-/200851638322?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2ec3b0c832

"Does not squirrel crack nuts on bough of oak tree."
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:00 pm »
Yes, you're welcome,  its EZPZ compared to elegance and its also kawaii to match the 888  :-/O

Dear Saturation:
--Not  the perfect solution but a bloody darn good one, cheaper and easier...
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »
What we really need is a modification which cuts the power off after the wand has not been removed for 30 or 60 minutes.

Its called hibernation mode on a JBC, automaticaly turns off all iron power after your set time. 8)

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 08:08:13 am »
As others have reported, the price of the fx-951 on aliexpress seems incredibly cheap so I tried one! New it must be a fake, but I'd been impressed with another chinese station (Bakon bk2000 from shenzhen ) and thought even though its a clone it might still be ok. when it arrived it had a sticker "110 VAC input" . Also said "Made in S'Pore). I'm in the uk with 240V so I haven't tried powering up yet. Supplier assures me its just the label thats wrong! Aliexpress offers in their conditions of sale, a douible refund on any item that arrives counterfeit. Anyone tried holding them to that on the fake Hakko's?

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:23 am »
BTW cost for a "HAKK FX-951" from China was $86 including shipping to the UK!  To send it back using UK post would cost me over half that amount. If the Chinese can make a reasonable copy of a Hakko for $40, how come just a "genuine" tip is that much from Hakko? The T12/T15 tips from China were also $20 for a pack of 4 and they came with a "Made in Japan" bag. The world has gone MAD!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:23 am »
Well you will never know how good china has come to CLONE stuff.
And well they write "Made in S'Pore" That's just looking for trouble, nothing from my country has ever been written like that

Online amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
As others have reported, the price of the fx-951 on aliexpress seems incredibly cheap so I tried one! New it must be a fake, but I'd been impressed with another chinese station (Bakon bk2000 from shenzhen ) and thought even though its a clone it might still be ok. when it arrived it had a sticker "110 VAC input" . Also said "Made in S'Pore). I'm in the uk with 240V so I haven't tried powering up yet. Supplier assures me its just the label thats wrong! Aliexpress offers in their conditions of sale, a douible refund on any item that arrives counterfeit. Anyone tried holding them to that on the fake Hakko's?
You can open it and check the transformer inside.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf