Author Topic: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued  (Read 85075 times)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »
Its not mad, its counterfeit, very likely.  A reason it can be made cheap is China labor costs and cheaper materials, you have a close appearance, but it could be an illusion.  So internally it could be no better than a 936 clone put in another body.  If what you have can drive the real Hakko tips properly then it could be worth it, but you'll have to test its performance against Hakko published data.

Real 951-66 are made in Japan, last I checked, and the $250 price doesn't include the $30-40 each tips.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/FX951-66.html

Check technical and country of origin tabs.

Also I concur with T4P's comments on the Singapore label, its almost always spelled out.

BTW cost for a "HAKK FX-951" from China was $86 including shipping to the UK!  To send it back using UK post would cost me over half that amount. If the Chinese can make a reasonable copy of a Hakko for $40, how come just a "genuine" tip is that much from Hakko? The T12/T15 tips from China were also $20 for a pack of 4 and they came with a "Made in Japan" bag. The world has gone MAD!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:20:36 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »
Thanks for those replies. Yes it confirms that it is definitely a clone. If genuine Hakko's were available in the UK at the same price as the USA I'd buy one of those, but they're not. I will try undoing the case and checking the transformer inside for voltage spec.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »
...doesn't include the $30-40 each tips.
The majority of the common tip profiles used are a lot cheaper than $30 from what I've seen for US pricing ($10 - 20 range). Which should be an easier pill to swallow. ;)

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »
The majority of the common tip profiles used are a lot cheaper than $30 from what I've seen for US pricing ($10 - 20 range). Which should be an easier pill to swallow. ;)

Tips for the FX-888 cost about US $5 each on average. Perhaps another advantage of the FX-888 over the FX-951?

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:36 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I still need a temperature knob for a 936 station. I would be glad to pay $15.00 Keep me in mind, if you are junking one. Hakko, Fluke and EEVBlog forever.

"Happy for you to desoldering, please."
Wun Hung Lo 1948 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »
As a comparison, I just bought 5 different Weller tips yesterday for the WES51 and WESD51 for $3.49 each.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »
You're right, but the median range is far higher than FX888.  But, rather than take our estimates readers can check for themselves here.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=4482&Page=5

Note, Hakko USA prices includes S&H.

Tips for the FX-888 cost about US $5 each on average. Perhaps another advantage of the FX-888 over the FX-951?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »
You're right, but the median range is far higher than FX888.  But, rather than take our estimates readers can check for themselves here.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=4482&Page=5

Note, Hakko USA prices includes S&H.

The FX-888 tips are just simple metal tips, whereas the FX-951 tips are a complete assembly with heating element and temperature sensor included. It is no surprise they cost more.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:32 am »
Purely based on cost, sure. Any of the older tech based stations should have this advantage (just plated copper, no heater or sensor tech).

The FX-888 tips are just simple metal tips, whereas the FX-951 tips are a complete assembly with heating element and temperature sensor included. It is no surprise they cost more.
Comparing similar technology, Hakko's T15 series seems to be easier on the wallet than say JBC or similar tips from other vendors I've looked at (Janel, HMC, and All-Spec for pricing).

It's even one of the reasons I didn't go with JBC or the WRMP iron with my current station, as I didn't want to pay ~$30 per per tip at that time (FX-951 wasn't out at the time).

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:20 am »
Purely based on cost, sure. Any of the older tech based stations should have this advantage (just plated copper, no heater or sensor tech).

Comparing similar technology, Hakko's T15 series seems to be easier on the wallet than say JBC or similar tips from other vendors I've looked at (Janel, HMC, and All-Spec for pricing).

It's even one of the reasons I didn't go with JBC or the WRMP iron with my current station, as I didn't want to pay ~$30 per per tip at that time (FX-951 wasn't out at the time).

JBC tips should last longer though since the iron sleeps whenever you put the handle in the stand and hibernates after a preset time. I think the FX-951 does the same but don't quote me on that.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »
Well yes the FX-951 does the same, well,  :-DD

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »
On the cost of tips of the 951 vs 888, its expected; you get more as it can be seen easily that the tips are actually cartridges with tip element combined with the heater and temp sensor.  The question then becomes is the performance improvement of a real Hakko graphed elsewhere on this thread worth it to you?  If you buy a clone or counterfeit, you have to be sure it performs better than a lowly 888, or all you get is a style and look but no better soldering technology.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »
I have been 100% satisfied with my FX-888 and it's tips, better than anything I have ever used.  I like digital temp displays, but not at the expense of ease of operation.  I see no FX-888D in my future.

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
And the much later cordless heater version:

Of course wires were bigger then...

I have that model. I hacked mine though -- added an orange juice tin around the burner to steady the flame in drafty areas. I upgraded a few years ago when the wires started getting smaller and added a butane version to the stable. Can't seem to find replacement tips for it though -- have to turn my own out of aluminium-bronze bar stock.  Do you think I should upgrade again to one of these new-fangled stations?

BTW: where do you put the fuel in the FX-888 anyway?

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »
If you can find a real FX-951 for sale in China you will be put off by the price and it is not hard to find. Those less than $150 are usually and probably fake.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:20 am »
If they wanted to go digital, they should have used an encoder knob. The buttons suck.

And I agree with RCMR, the colour scheme was really distinctive. Yeah, like everyone I gasped on first sight. But once you get a feel for the iron's quality, you instantly respect it and the colour scheme (and creative design) is a breath of fresh air.

Encoder know would have been really nice, but with the presets, and the ability to change the presets, I don't think it is an issue.
With the digital readout, there is no doubt that the unit is on, and for me, I like to see how fast it heats up when I turn it on. :)

the fx888 was sold in norway in all color schemes, but I still like the blue/yellow best, the shape is a bit toyish, compared to fx951 and such stations.

Here in Norway, the price of the fx888 and fx888D was the same, equivalent to USD 280, but I gave in and bought this when it was available with digital controls.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:57 am »
well to be honest, you can get them for 250 in the U.S but elsewhere the 220V-240V versions cost double! Just like the FX-888
There's a big but! For 100 bucks more i can get a JBC CD2 series but it's still pricey there and then ... it's about 640SGD which means a new SDS7102
Feels like 0 value to me but it's about 1.3 times the US price which is fair because this is serious business, anyone who buys a JBC probably has a Agilent sitting around ...

I had to pay USD 280 for the 888d, and if I would buy the 951 I have to pay USD 750 (based on currency NOK - USD today)
I found one ebay seller from USA that sold the Hakko fx951 for around $240-250 for 220volts, and ordered that one, since the price was similar to what you pay for the 951 in US I thought this was ok, but the product arrived, and it was an chinese clone, bad one at it too.
I returned it, costed me an fortune, and received an new one (The previous did not have sleep function, old Iron stand and so on), so I got this, with sleep function, it looked ok, but the buttons/programming did not work, opened it up, and what do I see..
https://plus.google.com/107561384765867748075/posts/YWnQzZyvj2t
110/220volt transformer, and chinese  text, yet another knockoff..  (The seller havent answered anymore, so I guess I have to take this loss)

So I found the Norwegian Hakko seller and ordered the 888D instead, at least I have something that I can trust, and wont burn down my home.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:16 am »
well to be honest, you can get them for 250 in the U.S but elsewhere the 220V-240V versions cost double! Just like the FX-888
There's a big but! For 100 bucks more i can get a JBC CD2 series but it's still pricey there and then ... it's about 640SGD which means a new SDS7102
Feels like 0 value to me but it's about 1.3 times the US price which is fair because this is serious business, anyone who buys a JBC probably has a Agilent sitting around ...
This much price gouging outside of the US amazes me, but I see your point. At those prices, the JBC is in closer reach by comparison, and offers additional value.

How much for the JBC's then?, in Norway I have to pay:
JBC AD2940 - price :NOK 5450  -  USD 980
JBC CD2BB + T245-A  - price NOK 4375 -  USD 788

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:00 am »

I had to pay USD 280 for the 888d, and if I would buy the 951 I have to pay USD 750 (based on currency NOK - USD today)
I found one ebay seller from USA that sold the Hakko fx951 for around $240-250 for 220volts, and ordered that one, since the price was similar to what you pay for the 951 in US I thought this was ok, but the product arrived, and it was an chinese clone, bad one at it too.
I returned it, costed me an fortune, and received an new one (The previous did not have sleep function, old Iron stand and so on), so I got this, with sleep function, it looked ok, but the buttons/programming did not work, opened it up, and what do I see..
https://plus.google.com/107561384765867748075/posts/YWnQzZyvj2t
110/220volt transformer, and chinese  text, yet another knockoff..  (The seller havent answered anymore, so I guess I have to take this loss)

So I found the Norwegian Hakko seller and ordered the 888D instead, at least I have something that I can trust, and wont burn down my home.
That's probably a clone (don't think Hakko would use a Holtek uC) but should work just as well as any other...

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:27 am »
As others have reported, the price of the fx-951 on aliexpress seems incredibly cheap so I tried one! New it must be a fake, but I'd been impressed with another chinese station (Bakon bk2000 from shenzhen ) and thought even though its a clone it might still be ok. when it arrived it had a sticker "110 VAC input" . Also said "Made in S'Pore). I'm in the uk with 240V so I haven't tried powering up yet. Supplier assures me its just the label thats wrong! Aliexpress offers in their conditions of sale, a douible refund on any item that arrives counterfeit. Anyone tried holding them to that on the fake Hakko's?

An real one you could by here: http://www.dancap.co.uk/
Very reasonable price. I have asked him about buying one there to get in Norway, but they refused to sell outside UK due to Hakko restrictions.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »
That's probably a clone (don't think Hakko would use a Holtek uC) but should work just as well as any other...

Yes, it must be an clone, on the first one I got tip-error when moving the iron around. On this one the tip doesnt sit well, the foamy part is not sticking to the handle. I don't dare to use this crap.
The problem is that the US Seller is selling these as originals.. when buying from US, one should not get chinese clones.. at least not when it's full price.

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
With all the fakes and problems everyone's having I don't know why anyone is still trying to buy these Hakkos.  Isn't there any alternative 240 volt station available?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
With all the fakes and problems everyone's having I don't know why anyone is still trying to buy these Hakkos.  Isn't there any alternative 240 volt station available?

Sure there are, good and bad ones. At all kinds of price levels. It isn't that we here in Europe do all our electronics soldering with an old rusty nail heated up over open fire. But the thing with the Hakko 888 is it is fanboy pressure, ascribing magical performange to it and "because Dave said so". Fact is, both types of 888th are largely irrelevant in Europe, because the 240V ones are difficult to get, genuine ones even more so.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 12:50:55 pm »
anyone knows where to buy the new silver one (i want silver only xD)? I am from Jordan and i don't see any official distributor in my country (some are close though).

I wanted to see if there is a free shipping deal but didn't find one (no silver one anyway) on aliexpress...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 01:02:27 pm »
anyone knows where to buy the new silver one (i want silver only xD)? I am from Jordan and i don't see any official distributor in my country (some are close though).

I wanted to see if there is a free shipping deal but didn't find one (no silver one anyway) on aliexpress...
Really wonder if there is a single genuine hakko on aliexpress.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf