Author Topic: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued  (Read 85076 times)

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« on: November 15, 2012, 02:04:18 am »
Per the Hakko web site it looks like the Hakko FX-888 soldering station has been discontinued and is being replaced by one with a digital control, the FX-888D:

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fx888d.html 

The minus for some is it's digital.  The plus is it will be available in gray not just the Fisher Price blue and yellow.  Let's hope they keep the price where the FX-888 was.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 02:37:47 am »
The plus is it will be available in gray not just the Fisher Price blue and yellow.

That's actually a reduction in choice, so it would seem. The FX-888 was manufactured in several different color schemes, not just two, although only the blue/yellow one was available in the US market.

Offline benemorius

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 02:53:03 am »
I don't mind a digital temperature setting, but I definitely mind the lack of a rotary encoder knob to conveniently adjust it. Even worse is when the lack of a knob is combined with a really clumsy way of using the buttons to adjust it. I watched the video and wow that's bad! |O This is clearly intended for production environments, which, if I'm not mistaken, leaves Hakko without a single iron that isn't designed with production assembly in mind. :-//

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:29:26 am »
I don't mind a digital temperature setting, but I definitely mind the lack of a rotary encoder knob to conveniently adjust it. Even worse is when the lack of a knob is combined with a really clumsy way of using the buttons to adjust it. I watched the video and wow that's bad! |O This is clearly intended for production environments, which, if I'm not mistaken, leaves Hakko without a single iron that isn't designed with production assembly in mind. :-//
The presets might make it acceptable for most DIY users however.

For me at least, they make changing between commonly used temps easier than a knob (WD1, which uses dedicated buttons for each preset). Not exactly an inexpensive station by most people's definition though...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 10:38:29 am »
That didn't last long... the 936 was around for over 10 years (earliest references to it I can find are 1996, correct me if I'm wrong) but the FX-888 barely made it over 4 (manual is dated 2008, couldn't find anything earlier.)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 10:44:59 am »
That didn't last long... the 936 was around for over 10 years (earliest references to it I can find are 1996, correct me if I'm wrong)

And the 926 which you can see on my bench, at least another 10 years before that!

Dave.

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 10:56:38 am »
I much prefer the analogue control on the 926/936/888.

Offline r90s

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:11:33 am »
I had ordered an FX-888 late in the afternoon about three weeks ago,  and that same evening I came across the new model on the Hakko Japan site..   I'm happy with the model that I have, even though Ihope to have a JBC tools station one day. 8)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 11:21:59 am »
That's sad, I think the 888 was just right but I prefer the 936 as its rectangular body made it stack-able with my other gear, so you can use more real estate on a tight bench more wisely.  The digital controls I do find, is not a plus.  You still have to manually calibrate it, aka 'adjust' in their product terms, so this unit becomes more like the Weller WESD51, with the WES51 being the FX888 equivalent.  It also takes longer to press a button many times or wait until it times in for 'fast mode' rather than to simply swipe a rotary dial or knob to get to the marking on the dial.  As for soldering itself, the technology of the heater and tips are the same, so its unchanged, all that's new is the control unit.

The good new is existing 888 stock could be discounted.  Hakko states the 888D will be at an 'analog' price, which suggests it'll be at a similar price as the 888 was, so we hope.  If not, if you were holding back, now's a time to get an 888 before it disappears as the US discounts have it steadily at $80, including S&H.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:30:36 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:35 am »
Why all the groaning?

As best I can tell, the iron finally has an ON/OFF indicator (the temp setting) and not just an intermittent LED to indicate that it's heating the tip up. The only complaint I have against the 888 (like Dave) is that you can't be sure at a glance if the unit is on or not...you have to wait for a heat-up cycle. If that's fixed, great.

I like the presets because on the occasion that I turn it up (to handle a heavy joint) I'm never sure that I quite remember the original setting. Anyway, I suspect that I shouldn't be changing temps to do that anyway, I should be changing tip mass. The temp should be set according to solder spec, no?

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 12:52:45 pm »
I would prefer an analog control for the temp setting but those are going to disappear fast.  Watching the video it looks like they have cut out a lot of the time it takes to set it.  The presets are a nice feature but more than a couple you might as well just adjust the temp.  I guess it all depends on how long it takes it to step through the range.

At least having the digital read out you will know when it's on.  That was a big drawback to the FX-888.  Price will be everything.  If it's not still around $80 I think they will loose a lot of the home/hobby/experimenter market as there are other good choices for adjustable temp irons in that price range.

For general soldering I still use my old Weller soldering station I bought used in the early 80s, 30+ years ago.  Nothing today will last that long.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:02:01 pm by SLJ »

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:16:07 pm »
I prefer a digital display set by an analog knob or encoder.

However preset buttons does make it easy.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »
Alas for one, this is the first product I know of Hakko's where the improvement is more a Rube Goldberg  for the 888's target market [ I'd forgive the stickers its gave away for the 936 before it was discontinued] rather than technology with truly improved solder functionality. 

One could say, this 888D is a recycling the old Hakko 937 controller system.  Which was much more expensive and except for digital locks placed on adjusting set temp, offered no more functionality than the analog version, 936.

If a power-on light was really all that was needed, it simpler to add it than redesign the controller for a digital readout.  Without redesign you can change the off/on switch to a lighted one easily too, a literal drop in replacement without any fuss.

What preset "temps" do users actually get?  The pencil heater-feedback design used in the 936/FX888 isn't really accurate to the 1C resolution the LED display for tip temperature because the temp sensor is at the bottom of the tip assembly, and is subject to some temperature offset.  Further this tip temp changes with use and wear, so this design requires periodic manual re-calibration.  So the LSD will be off after just a few uses, but that usually isn't bad enough to require recalibration, but it won't be accurate.  That's why on the the 936, the original marks were at 50 degree positions, and the FX888 was already overkill at 10 deg marks.

The digital readout is just a fancy representation of what could have just been painted on the faceplate.  If one wanted presets on an FX888 just mark the scale with Sharpie pen or masking tape to where on the scale you want the temp for a task and you can even label it with more text.

Why all the groaning?

As best I can tell, the iron finally has an ON/OFF indicator

I like the presets because on the occasion that I turn it up (to handle a heavy joint) I'm never sure that I quite remember the original setting. Anyway, I suspect that I shouldn't be changing temps to do that anyway, I should be changing tip mass. The temp should be set according to solder spec, no?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:37:10 pm »
My current soldering station (WD1000M) is digital, and I can't say I've missed analog control. On the other hand it's powerful enough that I just set it to 190C and solder everything with that.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 06:25:57 pm »
I was interested in the FX-888D only for a second. I wonder what can 2 buttons do  ^-^
And i've had my share of pushing buttons on a hot air station, sure it didn't take alot of time but a knob is a knob, yes i don't quite like knobs for digital systems.
But a knob and a button is good for me, i like both!
Having 2 buttons might seem like a doh but the left button is the preset button so basically you have a few settings but those can be configured too

It's not like you need any other settings right?  ::)

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 09:49:40 pm »
They've destroyed the best feature of the FX888 -- the cool blue/yellow color scheme!

While all those old 9-series clones look much the same, the FX888 was totally distinctive and stood out like a sore thumb on any workbench.  What a great marketing tool for Hakko!   You'd probably never notice any other soldering station on a busy workbench but you can't miss a Hakko 888.

Of course I also agree with the consensus that the digital button setup is just change for the sake of change.

I suspect they've got a new crew in the marketing department who decided "ooh... we can show our market leadership by putting some cool buttons and a digital readout on the front instead of a boring old knob".  These marketing droids have probably never used a soldering iron in the  life -- except perhaps to try and re-heat a stale latte'

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 10:37:00 pm »
It is not a big loss. Hakko's pricing for the 240V version, the difficulty to get a 240V version at all, and the strange 240V special version for China made it rather unattractive in the 240V world. They might have dropped it, because it might not have sold well. The Fisher-Price "My first soldering Iron"colour and  look certainly did not help selling it in regions where people prefer their tools looking like tools and not like "cute" toys.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline RCMR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 12:11:31 am »
The Fisher-Price "My first soldering Iron"colour and  look certainly did not help selling it in regions where people prefer their tools looking like tools and not like "cute" toys.
Oh... I feel special now  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 12:44:29 am »
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital soldering stations are a pretty neat idea.

--with apologies to Douglas Adams

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:24 am »
FYI  - Today from Hakko USA: 

The FX-888D will not be available in North America until early next year. The current FX-888 has the same power and uses the same tips and the FX-888D will use. When the FX-888D is released you will be able to purchase from any authorized distributor.
Best regards,
Andy Mitchell
American Hakko Products

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:45 am »
If they wanted to go digital, they should have used an encoder knob. The buttons suck.

And I agree with RCMR, the colour scheme was really distinctive. Yeah, like everyone I gasped on first sight. But once you get a feel for the iron's quality, you instantly respect it and the colour scheme (and creative design) is a breath of fresh air.

Dave.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2012, 06:49:56 am »
If they wanted to go digital, they should have used an encoder knob. The buttons suck.
I just looked at the instruction manual for the 888D and it is almost ridiculous how much functionality they managed to cram into 2 buttons (3-"letter" password option :o), so that trying to do anything other than move between the presets becomes a process not unlike bit-banging SPI manually. It's obvious they don't want you to do anything other than turn it on and use it, which is great for production environments with "strict temperature management" but not much else. The digital display is nice, but the UI sucks.

Quote from: Hakko
Simple and easy operation
With only two operation buttons of UP and ENTER in the center, operation is simple and easy. Even if you’re not familiar with operation of machines, you can operate it without difficulty.
Any idiot can press buttons. Knowing how to press them is a totally different issue...

At this point I'm thinking Hakko is only riding on reputation and introducing new designs to avoid the Chinese cloners, and I truly hope this is the one Hakko station they don't clone. Adding a temperature display is good, but keep the no-nonsense easy-to-use (seriously) knob.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »
Here's a link to the users manual.  If one wanted to improve the 888, what I think some useful add ons would be:

auto-off
power on light
a method to hot swap tips
lower prices, especially the EU and UK market

Now the simple process of turning the temp adjust is replaced by the instructions listed here.  Readers can judge for themselves what is gained and lost by this move.

https://doc.hakko.com/search.php?_gs=on&l=en&kc=&kp=fx888d&ki=10&ks=&ke=&kh=0&submit=Search

Sorry, couldn't add as attachment because of the forum's file size limits.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 03:47:13 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Dagon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2012, 03:49:39 pm »
and the strange 240V special version for China

What was different about the chinese version?
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and bigfoot on the UFO.

Offline Mr Smiley

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »
Why don't we all get together and build our own!!!

All you need is

1 iron, under a fiver(uk) from ebay, lots of suppliers and millions of replacement tips.
24v 2A supply
pic or avr
rotary encoder
3 7-seg or lcd display
a couple of op-amps
And lots of pleasant interaction working out the software alone and with others.

Then you can add all the advantages of whatever you'd like into one single unit.

you could have an all singing, all dancing, does all that you want for under £20 in parts.

Mr Smiley  :)
There is enough on this planet to sustain mans needs. There will never be enough on this planet to sustain mans greed.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 05:30:26 pm »
and the strange 240V special version for China

What was different about the chinese version?

There is/was a 240V series of these stations from China that had an analog controller instead of the usual digital custom Hakko chip. People were not really able to determine if these were genuine Hakko or some very very detailed fakes, down to the packaging. IIRC Hakko wasn't exactly helpful in determining if they were original or fake. Since Hakko is no stranger to dealing with fakes one would expect that Hakko would be quick to point out a fake. When they aren't one has to ask if they got caught with their pants down.

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 05:45:41 pm »
How hard would it be to use a dimmer switch to make a variable-power soldering iron? Of course, it's not true variable temperature, but it's at least better than the average Maplin fire starter.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
This is how el-cheapo irons work, the under $20 types are simple dimmers in a fixed temp iron.

Alas, most all cheapos do not use temp feedback, so it doesn't compensate for the heat sunk when soldering, most noticeable on large planes and tracings.

An ideal iron should keep tip temperature constant despite load, and better irons use, often proprietary means, to ramp up quickly to minimize variations, this is the difference between the basic technology of Hakko's 936, which everyone copies, or the Weller WES51, and the Metcal technology [ and their new clones] and the gamut of cost of those different systems.  If one is going to pay more than $100 for a temp regulated station, it should provide better soldering capability, and make work easier to perform.

The value of temp regulation and a temp maximum defined over decades of work are reasons soldering stations have a standard to look to, usually mandated only in commercial work, the IPC standard.

How hard would it be to use a dimmer switch to make a variable-power soldering iron? Of course, it's not true variable temperature, but it's at least better than the average Maplin fire starter.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline david77

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2012, 05:59:24 pm »
Not hard at all. Used to be quite common back when cheap stations weren't available.
Today the Chinese supply them ready made: http://www.china-zhongdi.com/zd-99.htm

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2012, 06:31:23 pm »
That's great, enjoy.  In the US this station begins at $400 so its in a different league, I hope it meets your needs.  At that price it competes with JBC longer well respected reputation.

Its unusual to work with a setting of 190C as in most instances touching a tracing often causes most iron tips to drop 30-50C as the solder and tracing sink heat, if an iron is set at 190C that would put the tip temp below melting point of even PbSn solder. 

There was a thread of an owner who complained about improper readings on his unit. 

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/weller-soldering-station/msg72641/#msg72641

My current soldering station (WD1000M) is digital, and I can't say I've missed analog control. On the other hand it's powerful enough that I just set it to 190C and solder everything with that.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »
Hot swap? It will eat into the FX-951 market ...
Not hard at all. Used to be quite common back when cheap stations weren't available.
Today the Chinese supply them ready made: http://www.china-zhongdi.com/zd-99.htm
Weller's still making them ...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 06:54:43 pm by T4P »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 06:58:20 pm »
If one wanted to improve the 888, what I think some useful add ons would be:

auto-off
power on light
I suspect it would cut into sales of the FX-951 if they had, so they intentionally restricted the feature set to prevent this.

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
Weller's still making them ...
You may be thinking of Velleman, but who knows who their OEM is.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2012, 07:18:25 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Now available on eBay. These are bullet proof.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-936-SOLDERING-STATION-907-IRON-/200848774453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec3851535

--If you do not have to have the latest and you want to save some money, get one of these. I have two of these, one for light and one for heavy, both with the green LED Power On Light Mod. Dave has an even better Hakko Mod. see his video.

"Happy for you to desoldering, please."
Wun Hung Lo 1948 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:14 pm »
Nope. Weller. Mostly whatever you see on zhongdi is a clone of weller
Velleman's OEM for theirs is zhongdi
OH wait, weller's still making them, in red colour it's the WLC100
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 07:34:05 pm by T4P »

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2012, 11:09:43 pm »
OH wait, weller's still making them, in red colour it's the WLC100
Huh, I've never seen that one before, is it some kind of US-only (or non-Europe) model? In Europe, their cheap hobbyist models are the WHS40 and its digital variant WHS40D. They're both still about two to three times as expensive as the Velleman one, depending on where you look.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2012, 05:44:07 am »
No idea but i've been looking on amazon, still very expensive for essentially a light dimmer in a box that is practically useless for electronics i'll tell ya

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2012, 01:48:06 pm »
It could, but the 951 heater is much faster, uses a different set of tips, is self calibrating and that's the true value of it, pretty much any iron that can senses the true tip temp without offset doesn't require calibration, implementing such is worth spending since it requires much more technology.  The 937 uses the same technology as 888, except for its digital panel.

When makers recommend calibration, tip temp drifts away from cal for many reasons, and it can happen fairly quickly [ the 888 or 936 manual recommend calibration every time a tip, iron or heater is changed, not including wear of the current tip, so tip swapping routinely on 888 technology would really make the readout accuracy suffer if it were down to 1C as a LSD]. The basic technology of Metcal and clones and JBC are also self-calibrating.  So what you see on the digital panel is truly what you get in self cal systems, always.  So the 888 truly would not be on par with the 951 even if it has some of its features.

Now the question how much is self calibration worth, or fast temp ramp ups?  I think if a user soldered much or is in a professional setting such as full time hand assemblers, you'd quickly see the value in fast heaters, self cal and hot swaps and move up to better stations.  888 is Hakkos' entry level station and for many folks who only solder for prototyping, low volume repair or hacking, its more than adequate.  The FX951 is a next level up, but those curve performances aren't on par still with JBC or Metcal, which also cost more money; so there is a niche for every level of user.

If one wanted to improve the 888, what I think some useful add ons would be:

auto-off
power on light
I suspect it would cut into sales of the FX-951 if they had, so they intentionally restricted the feature set to prevent this.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 07:23:51 pm »
It could, but the 951 heater is much faster...
I looked at it as another feature, albeit a significant one that differentiates the FX-951 from the FX-888D, but was looking a bit broader at the additional features of the controller as well when I posted.

There's a lot of advantages to the FX-951 IMHO, and doesn't require nearly as significant of a cost investment vs. JBC (sticking to temp controllable stations). Especially for a hobbyist. Granted, the JBC is a better station, but the FX-951 offers a lot of bang-for-the-buck based on US pricing, which I would think makes it rather attractive for a lot of members here if they aren't being gouged due to their location.

I ended up with a Weller WD1001 as I found one for less than an FM-202 at the time, and much cheaper than a JBC. I definitely made a compromise, but I'm not using it professionally, and it does do what I need (can afford to wait a sec or two more between joints if need be, though it's no slouch). Looking back however, I'd make a different choice based on their QC and cost of replacement parts (iron alone is more expensive than the FX-888), and JBC's is half that of the Weller iron. Tips these days are closer to JBC in cost as well  ::) (~$11 - 20 per, depending on style for the NT series).

Offline LoyalServant

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012, 11:33:10 pm »
Wow.... IMHO it's a shame that they went to the digital stuff.
I like knobs :)

I am not the kind of person that after all these decades will find it comfortable to reach over to punch a button.
The rare occasion that I even change the temperature on my iron I am reaching for a knob.

I worked with some techs in the past that were damn good techs but had the worst soldering habits...
The first thing I would do when going to this other techs bench was reach for that knob and turn it a half turn to the left :)

If I even come back to the electronics industry in any capacity I hope they leave some irons with knobs for old farts like me.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 01:28:18 am »
I would prefer an encoder, but I can live with buttons.  I don't mind using the wsd81 or the hakko 951.  What pisses me off is button overloading.  Trying to cram as many features as possible into a 2 button interface is not a winning product idea.

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

All you need is

1 iron, under a fiver(uk) from ebay, lots of suppliers and millions of replacement tips.
24v 2A supply
pic or avr
rotary encoder
3 7-seg or lcd display
a couple of op-amps
And lots of pleasant interaction working out the software alone and with others.

Then you can add all the advantages of whatever you'd like into one single unit.

you could have an all singing, all dancing, does all that you want for under £20 in parts.

There is already a project that is pretty far along and you can buy a pcb from seeed studio. http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3475

Looks like it is compatible with hakko and weller handles.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 12:54:27 pm »
Controller electronics design is fairly widepsread and low cost.  If you try to buy a new Hakko replacement hand piece in the USA, it will cost as much as the whole premade FX888 including the iron.  When you factor the cost of the chassis, as expected, DIY will cost more than OTS, and it won't look as nice  :-//

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=4854&Page=1

The real value of these irons is the alloys used in the tips and the heater assembly.  If you want to DIY try to mod these units to meet the capabilities of a JBC or the more expensive Hakkos.  I think it won't succeed as you can easily inspect that what makes these better irons better again are the heater assembly: the ceramic in the heating element, the placement of the thermal sensors and alloys of the tip.

All you need is

24v 2A supply
pic or avr
rotary encoder
3 7-seg or lcd display
a couple of op-amps

There is already a project that is pretty far along and you can buy a pcb from seeed studio. http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3475

Looks like it is compatible with hakko and weller handles.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 01:01:22 pm »
You're right nanofrog, if you want an improved $80 FX888, the $250 951 is it.  That higher cost buys a new set of  features and technology.

It could, but the 951 heater is much faster...
I looked at it as another feature, albeit a significant one that differentiates the FX-951 from the FX-888D, but was looking a bit broader at the additional features of the controller as well when I posted.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline xygor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 01:46:02 pm »
I, for one, welcome our new soldering overlord.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »
well to be honest, you can get them for 250 in the U.S but elsewhere the 220V-240V versions cost double! Just like the FX-888
There's a big but! For 100 bucks more i can get a JBC CD2 series but it's still pricey there and then ... it's about 640SGD which means a new SDS7102
Feels like 0 value to me but it's about 1.3 times the US price which is fair because this is serious business, anyone who buys a JBC probably has a Agilent sitting around ...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 08:26:09 pm »
If this was aimed at me, that wasn't my intent.

I just did a lot of research not that long ago for myself (needed a new one back in '08), and more recently for a nephew that's interested in going EE next Fall.

I'm just not that confident in the Chinese made stuff when I read about DOA's & defective units here and other sites on the net, and find $400+ (US pricing) for a good soldering station excessive for a hobbyist or student. Especially when that same amount of funds can also buy a usable scope. So I looked for alternatives that offered a resonable balance of cost and performance, and found ~$250 in the US could manage that rather well IMHO. 

well to be honest, you can get them for 250 in the U.S but elsewhere the 220V-240V versions cost double! Just like the FX-888
There's a big but! For 100 bucks more i can get a JBC CD2 series but it's still pricey there and then ... it's about 640SGD which means a new SDS7102
Feels like 0 value to me but it's about 1.3 times the US price which is fair because this is serious business, anyone who buys a JBC probably has a Agilent sitting around ...
This much price gouging outside of the US amazes me, but I see your point. At those prices, the JBC is in closer reach by comparison, and offers additional value.

Offline xygor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »
If this was aimed at me, that wasn't my intent.

Nope.  At the thread in general and refers to the new Hakko.

Obligatory Simpsons reference.

Thank you for sharing your research though.  I do enjoy reading it.

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2012, 06:24:27 pm »
I found these today at my local electronic surplus/junkyard warehouse. With all this talk about Hakko's I wonder if they are worth picking up.
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2012, 07:20:02 pm »
$45 might be a little high.  I'd offer him $20 or $25 each if you take all of them.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2012, 07:52:13 pm »
Yes, they are.  $45 includes the iron?  If the units are working just replacing the heating element and the tip, the unit is as good as new, even if not they are very easy to repair.  I would offer as SLJ and take them all.

I found these today at my local electronic surplus/junkyard warehouse. With all this talk about Hakko's I wonder if they are worth picking up.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2012, 08:00:31 pm »
Then you can share them with us!  ;D

Offline Fluxed Matter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2012, 08:27:43 pm »
Yes $45 including the iron but not sure if the iron holder comes with it but I don't think that would be a deal breaker!
Have a Great Day!
Fluxed Matter

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
I'd pay you about 15$ plus shipping just for the holder... bought a 936 from eBay a while ago and I didn't get the holder for it.

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--One of my 936s has a broken knob. It still works, but it is cockeyed. If anyone ends up with an extra knob that they would be willing to sell, please send me a PM.

"Does not squirrel crack nuts on bough of oak tree."
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 04:45:29 pm »
Checking catalog, Hakko FX951 tips are between $30-45 each, whereas JBC tips are about $20-30.  FX888 genuine tips are between $3-10 each, reputable Plato brand compatible about same price, and Chinese copies for $1 each.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Ferroto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »
Everyone's talking about the FX-888 being discontinued and i'm using a cheap radio-shack soldering iron.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2012, 05:07:10 pm »
Everyone's talking about the FX-888 being discontinued and i'm using a cheap radio-shack soldering iron.

If you use it at all regularly do yourself a favor and upgrade.  Thermostats are awesome.  Cheap variable power irons are really not much better than a fixed iron.  They get too hot when idle and burn up the tip, then cool down too much when they have to melt solder.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
Soldering existed before temp controlled irons became the norm.  When I started, speed and a touch was part of the skill.  When we didn't have main power available, I could even solder with a candle, at worse with different sized nails held with pliers if we didn't have thick gauge copper wires we could sharpen to a tip and dip in rosin. 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:40:42 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline perfect_disturbance

• Regular Contributor
Re: Re: Hakko FX-888 soldering station discontinued
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 02:54:15 am »
Soldering existed before temp controlled irons became the norm.  When I started, speed and a touch was part of the skill.  When we didn't have main power available, I could even solder with a candle, at worse with different sized nails held with pliers if we didn't have thick gauge copper wires we could sharpen to a tip and dip in rosin. 
A thick gage copper wire eh... You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.
:)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2012, 04:10:49 pm »
You yunguns have a lot to learn:

The direct flame or candle technique can be used for soldering wires and large leads.  It also generates enough heat to solder metals for small plumbing tasks.  In western countries, the were less primitive and used blow torches. Today, those irons are 'high teched' as portable butane soldering irons such as Weller's Portasol but in a pinch you can make do with whatever you have around you.

A thick gage copper wire eh... You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:37 pm »
Here's my favorite (1800's):

And the much later cordless heater version:

Of course wires were bigger then...

Offline perfect_disturbance

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2012, 07:37:43 pm »

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

No I believe you I just can't resist a good Monty Python reference.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
oh! that one escaped me, mea culpa ...:-/O

http://www.phespirit.info/montypython/four_yorkshiremen.htm

.. you're right.  A good reference   :-DD

And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.

No I believe you I just can't resist a good Monty Python reference.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2012, 01:52:07 am »

You could afford a paper bag? :o

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2012, 03:15:25 am »
RE: Weller WLC100
No idea but i've been looking on amazon, still very expensive for essentially a light dimmer in a box that is practically useless for electronics i'll tell ya

Guess whose dumbass bought one!? Me! Me!

Treating myself to an FX-888 this Christmas.

To be fair, I've gotten very good at soldering with it. But if you forget to turn it off, oh boy, better go buy a spare tip because you probably have a nice crusty oxidized, hardened, dead tip on your iron.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 03:17:31 am by FenderBender »

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 03:46:24 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I just noticed these on eBay; Hakko 936 stations less transformer for $26.95 and $6.00 shipping, from Korea. I thought one of these might be of some use to you denizens of 220/240 Volt lands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAKKO-936-Soldering-Iron-Station-Controller-New-Housing-Case-Compatible-DIY-/130614660049?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e693d8bd1

--By the way, my next house will have a 240 Volt plug in the kitchen, so I can use one of those British tea pots. I hate waiting for water to boil, 240 is definitely superior in this case.

---As FenderBender says leaving it on is always a hazard, but made less so by das blinkenlight mod. What we really need is a modification which cuts the power off after the wand has not been removed for 30 or 60 minutes.

"I wear suspenders and a belt. I am a security man all the way"
Justin Wilson (The Cajun Cook) 1914 - 2001

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 04:07:43 pm »
On timers:

You can always get one of these and plug your 888 into it, saves the trouble of modding it:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-F7C009q-Energy-Saving/dp/B003P2UMS0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1354204670&sr=8-2&keywords=auto+shut+off+timer

You can find various variations in your hardware store for fully adjustable cutoff times, or fixed times, all typically $6-20, cheaper than the parts you'd have to buy to do the mod.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 04:11:58 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »
Dear Saturation:

--Not  the perfect solution but a bloody darn good one, cheaper and easier. I am ordering one right now from the source below which in the US is a tad cheaper, considering Amazon's shipping charge. I feel safer already. I have really curious cats that love to play with dangling wires. I recommend this one for everyone with kids or pets. Thanks Mate.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Belkin-Conserve-Socket-Power-Timer-/200851638322?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item2ec3b0c832

"Does not squirrel crack nuts on bough of oak tree."
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 05:27:00 pm »
Yes, you're welcome,  its EZPZ compared to elegance and its also kawaii to match the 888  :-/O

Dear Saturation:
--Not  the perfect solution but a bloody darn good one, cheaper and easier...
Lao Fu 1410 1620

Best Regards
Clear Ether
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 05:47:58 pm »
What we really need is a modification which cuts the power off after the wand has not been removed for 30 or 60 minutes.

Its called hibernation mode on a JBC, automaticaly turns off all iron power after your set time. 8)

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 08:08:13 am »
As others have reported, the price of the fx-951 on aliexpress seems incredibly cheap so I tried one! New it must be a fake, but I'd been impressed with another chinese station (Bakon bk2000 from shenzhen ) and thought even though its a clone it might still be ok. when it arrived it had a sticker "110 VAC input" . Also said "Made in S'Pore). I'm in the uk with 240V so I haven't tried powering up yet. Supplier assures me its just the label thats wrong! Aliexpress offers in their conditions of sale, a douible refund on any item that arrives counterfeit. Anyone tried holding them to that on the fake Hakko's?

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2012, 08:12:23 am »
BTW cost for a "HAKK FX-951" from China was $86 including shipping to the UK!  To send it back using UK post would cost me over half that amount. If the Chinese can make a reasonable copy of a Hakko for $40, how come just a "genuine" tip is that much from Hakko? The T12/T15 tips from China were also $20 for a pack of 4 and they came with a "Made in Japan" bag. The world has gone MAD!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:23 am »
Well you will never know how good china has come to CLONE stuff.
And well they write "Made in S'Pore" That's just looking for trouble, nothing from my country has ever been written like that

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »
As others have reported, the price of the fx-951 on aliexpress seems incredibly cheap so I tried one! New it must be a fake, but I'd been impressed with another chinese station (Bakon bk2000 from shenzhen ) and thought even though its a clone it might still be ok. when it arrived it had a sticker "110 VAC input" . Also said "Made in S'Pore). I'm in the uk with 240V so I haven't tried powering up yet. Supplier assures me its just the label thats wrong! Aliexpress offers in their conditions of sale, a douible refund on any item that arrives counterfeit. Anyone tried holding them to that on the fake Hakko's?
You can open it and check the transformer inside.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 12:17:29 pm »
Its not mad, its counterfeit, very likely.  A reason it can be made cheap is China labor costs and cheaper materials, you have a close appearance, but it could be an illusion.  So internally it could be no better than a 936 clone put in another body.  If what you have can drive the real Hakko tips properly then it could be worth it, but you'll have to test its performance against Hakko published data.

Real 951-66 are made in Japan, last I checked, and the $250 price doesn't include the $30-40 each tips.

http://www.all-spec.com/products/FX951-66.html

Check technical and country of origin tabs.

Also I concur with T4P's comments on the Singapore label, its almost always spelled out.

BTW cost for a "HAKK FX-951" from China was $86 including shipping to the UK!  To send it back using UK post would cost me over half that amount. If the Chinese can make a reasonable copy of a Hakko for $40, how come just a "genuine" tip is that much from Hakko? The T12/T15 tips from China were also $20 for a pack of 4 and they came with a "Made in Japan" bag. The world has gone MAD!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:20:36 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline philbaker

• Contributor
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »
Thanks for those replies. Yes it confirms that it is definitely a clone. If genuine Hakko's were available in the UK at the same price as the USA I'd buy one of those, but they're not. I will try undoing the case and checking the transformer inside for voltage spec.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:56 pm »
...doesn't include the $30-40 each tips.
The majority of the common tip profiles used are a lot cheaper than $30 from what I've seen for US pricing ($10 - 20 range). Which should be an easier pill to swallow. ;)

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 05:56:57 pm »
The majority of the common tip profiles used are a lot cheaper than $30 from what I've seen for US pricing ($10 - 20 range). Which should be an easier pill to swallow. ;)

Tips for the FX-888 cost about US $5 each on average. Perhaps another advantage of the FX-888 over the FX-951?

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:36 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I still need a temperature knob for a 936 station. I would be glad to pay $15.00 Keep me in mind, if you are junking one. Hakko, Fluke and EEVBlog forever.

"Happy for you to desoldering, please."
Wun Hung Lo 1948 -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 06:08:18 pm »
As a comparison, I just bought 5 different Weller tips yesterday for the WES51 and WESD51 for $3.49 each.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 06:35:38 pm »
You're right, but the median range is far higher than FX888.  But, rather than take our estimates readers can check for themselves here.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=4482&Page=5

Note, Hakko USA prices includes S&H.

Tips for the FX-888 cost about US $5 each on average. Perhaps another advantage of the FX-888 over the FX-951?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: November 30, 2012, 06:59:04 pm »
You're right, but the median range is far higher than FX888.  But, rather than take our estimates readers can check for themselves here.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?CID=49&PID=4482&Page=5

Note, Hakko USA prices includes S&H.

The FX-888 tips are just simple metal tips, whereas the FX-951 tips are a complete assembly with heating element and temperature sensor included. It is no surprise they cost more.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:32 am »
Purely based on cost, sure. Any of the older tech based stations should have this advantage (just plated copper, no heater or sensor tech).

The FX-888 tips are just simple metal tips, whereas the FX-951 tips are a complete assembly with heating element and temperature sensor included. It is no surprise they cost more.
Comparing similar technology, Hakko's T15 series seems to be easier on the wallet than say JBC or similar tips from other vendors I've looked at (Janel, HMC, and All-Spec for pricing).

It's even one of the reasons I didn't go with JBC or the WRMP iron with my current station, as I didn't want to pay ~$30 per per tip at that time (FX-951 wasn't out at the time).

Offline cwalex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2012, 07:50:20 am »
Purely based on cost, sure. Any of the older tech based stations should have this advantage (just plated copper, no heater or sensor tech).

Comparing similar technology, Hakko's T15 series seems to be easier on the wallet than say JBC or similar tips from other vendors I've looked at (Janel, HMC, and All-Spec for pricing).

It's even one of the reasons I didn't go with JBC or the WRMP iron with my current station, as I didn't want to pay ~$30 per per tip at that time (FX-951 wasn't out at the time).

JBC tips should last longer though since the iron sleeps whenever you put the handle in the stand and hibernates after a preset time. I think the FX-951 does the same but don't quote me on that.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #85 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:52 pm »
Well yes the FX-951 does the same, well,  :-DD

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »
On the cost of tips of the 951 vs 888, its expected; you get more as it can be seen easily that the tips are actually cartridges with tip element combined with the heater and temp sensor.  The question then becomes is the performance improvement of a real Hakko graphed elsewhere on this thread worth it to you?  If you buy a clone or counterfeit, you have to be sure it performs better than a lowly 888, or all you get is a style and look but no better soldering technology.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:13 pm »
I have been 100% satisfied with my FX-888 and it's tips, better than anything I have ever used.  I like digital temp displays, but not at the expense of ease of operation.  I see no FX-888D in my future.

Offline torch

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:16 pm »
And the much later cordless heater version:

Of course wires were bigger then...

I have that model. I hacked mine though -- added an orange juice tin around the burner to steady the flame in drafty areas. I upgraded a few years ago when the wires started getting smaller and added a butane version to the stable. Can't seem to find replacement tips for it though -- have to turn my own out of aluminium-bronze bar stock.  Do you think I should upgrade again to one of these new-fangled stations?

BTW: where do you put the fuel in the FX-888 anyway?

Offline nukie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2012, 11:20:37 pm »
If you can find a real FX-951 for sale in China you will be put off by the price and it is not hard to find. Those less than $150 are usually and probably fake.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2013, 10:23:20 am »

And I agree with RCMR, the colour scheme was really distinctive. Yeah, like everyone I gasped on first sight. But once you get a feel for the iron's quality, you instantly respect it and the colour scheme (and creative design) is a breath of fresh air.

Encoder know would have been really nice, but with the presets, and the ability to change the presets, I don't think it is an issue.
With the digital readout, there is no doubt that the unit is on, and for me, I like to see how fast it heats up when I turn it on. :)

the fx888 was sold in norway in all color schemes, but I still like the blue/yellow best, the shape is a bit toyish, compared to fx951 and such stations.

Here in Norway, the price of the fx888 and fx888D was the same, equivalent to USD 280, but I gave in and bought this when it was available with digital controls.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:57 am »

I had to pay USD 280 for the 888d, and if I would buy the 951 I have to pay USD 750 (based on currency NOK - USD today)
I found one ebay seller from USA that sold the Hakko fx951 for around $240-250 for 220volts, and ordered that one, since the price was similar to what you pay for the 951 in US I thought this was ok, but the product arrived, and it was an chinese clone, bad one at it too.
I returned it, costed me an fortune, and received an new one (The previous did not have sleep function, old Iron stand and so on), so I got this, with sleep function, it looked ok, but the buttons/programming did not work, opened it up, and what do I see..
https://plus.google.com/107561384765867748075/posts/YWnQzZyvj2t
110/220volt transformer, and chinese  text, yet another knockoff..  (The seller havent answered anymore, so I guess I have to take this loss)

So I found the Norwegian Hakko seller and ordered the 888D instead, at least I have something that I can trust, and wont burn down my home.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:16 am »
This much price gouging outside of the US amazes me, but I see your point. At those prices, the JBC is in closer reach by comparison, and offers additional value.

How much for the JBC's then?, in Norway I have to pay:
JBC AD2940 - price :NOK 5450  -  USD 980
JBC CD2BB + T245-A  - price NOK 4375 -  USD 788

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:00 am »

I had to pay USD 280 for the 888d, and if I would buy the 951 I have to pay USD 750 (based on currency NOK - USD today)
I found one ebay seller from USA that sold the Hakko fx951 for around $240-250 for 220volts, and ordered that one, since the price was similar to what you pay for the 951 in US I thought this was ok, but the product arrived, and it was an chinese clone, bad one at it too.
I returned it, costed me an fortune, and received an new one (The previous did not have sleep function, old Iron stand and so on), so I got this, with sleep function, it looked ok, but the buttons/programming did not work, opened it up, and what do I see..
https://plus.google.com/107561384765867748075/posts/YWnQzZyvj2t
110/220volt transformer, and chinese  text, yet another knockoff..  (The seller havent answered anymore, so I guess I have to take this loss)

So I found the Norwegian Hakko seller and ordered the 888D instead, at least I have something that I can trust, and wont burn down my home.
That's probably a clone (don't think Hakko would use a Holtek uC) but should work just as well as any other...

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2013, 11:58:27 am »

An real one you could by here: http://www.dancap.co.uk/
Very reasonable price. I have asked him about buying one there to get in Norway, but they refused to sell outside UK due to Hakko restrictions.

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:38 pm »
That's probably a clone (don't think Hakko would use a Holtek uC) but should work just as well as any other...

Yes, it must be an clone, on the first one I got tip-error when moving the iron around. On this one the tip doesnt sit well, the foamy part is not sticking to the handle. I don't dare to use this crap.
The problem is that the US Seller is selling these as originals.. when buying from US, one should not get chinese clones.. at least not when it's full price.

Offline SLJTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2013, 12:20:48 pm »
With all the fakes and problems everyone's having I don't know why anyone is still trying to buy these Hakkos.  Isn't there any alternative 240 volt station available?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2013, 05:08:35 pm »
With all the fakes and problems everyone's having I don't know why anyone is still trying to buy these Hakkos.  Isn't there any alternative 240 volt station available?

Sure there are, good and bad ones. At all kinds of price levels. It isn't that we here in Europe do all our electronics soldering with an old rusty nail heated up over open fire. But the thing with the Hakko 888 is it is fanboy pressure, ascribing magical performange to it and "because Dave said so". Fact is, both types of 888th are largely irrelevant in Europe, because the 240V ones are difficult to get, genuine ones even more so.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2014, 12:50:55 pm »
anyone knows where to buy the new silver one (i want silver only xD)? I am from Jordan and i don't see any official distributor in my country (some are close though).

I wanted to see if there is a free shipping deal but didn't find one (no silver one anyway) on aliexpress...

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2014, 01:02:27 pm »
anyone knows where to buy the new silver one (i want silver only xD)? I am from Jordan and i don't see any official distributor in my country (some are close though).

I wanted to see if there is a free shipping deal but didn't find one (no silver one anyway) on aliexpress...
Really wonder if there is a single genuine hakko on aliexpress.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2014, 01:39:32 pm »
well, to be honest, I don't have the capability to know the fake ones from just the website. That is why I am asking here. I found an official distributor in UAE which is quite close, I sent him a message and I am currently waiting the response.

The problem here  in Jordan is the Customs tax they charge! so I will pay about 16% for any goods, plus another 30% tax... so I might be ending up with about 46% tax to receive the thing! Yes, I might not pay that much (cuz this is the extreme case if your luck ran out), negotiating with the Customs' employee might help...

Some people request the buyer to send a fake price tag, so if it is about 100$, I would ask him to make it about 60$ or so to lower the taxes...

^
for these reasons and more, we always seek to have free shipping ^_^. if it is 100$ price, 46$ taxes, and let's say it is about 44$ shipping ... this would end up being 190$ total price...

I wonder if this is the case for you? do you know a good buyer?

thanks

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2014, 11:03:37 am »
Really wonder if there is a single genuine hakko on aliexpress.

There are not. They are all 100% fake, no exceptions.

Some on aliexpress are genuine. I got mine there.

There's a thread somewhere where i compared it to someones genuine one and it was identical. Same holograhic sticker, same insides, same yellow box and box text. same case details, same everything. Even down to the fact that the yellow paint on the stand rubs off a bit, just like the genuine ones.
Even the iron tip it came with was packaged and labeled the same as the tips i get from RS.

Now. it may not be a "authorized" production run, but its definitely from the same factory and using the same parts..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:05:27 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline marcone

• Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2024, 08:33:47 am »
Time has come for the D variant to be discontinued as well, a DX model is out with a knob for temperature adjustment and digital temperature readout.

Pricing yet to be announced.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf