Author Topic: Hantek DSO-1060, a battery powered 60Mhz DSO  (Read 17755 times)

Offline slburrisTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hantek DSO-1060, a battery powered 60Mhz DSO
« on: July 21, 2010, 03:41:10 am »
There's a discussion going on over at rcgroups about the
Hantek DSO-1060.  Anyone have one of these?

Apparently the cheapest US seller is something called
thefamousbrandsoutlet.com, not a site you would think
to buy test equipment at, but who knows?  I've seen
soldering stations and tattoo supplies sold by the same
site :-)  Anyway, it's $499 there.

Shockingly, one of the forum members has convinced
The Famous Brands Outlet to lend him a similar scope,
the 8060, for review.  I'll be interested to see what he
finds.

The thread is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270901

Scott

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Hantek DSO-1060, a battery powered 60Mhz DSO
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:04:50 am »
The sample rate is really slow compared to a Rigol or Instek. Looks like a great scope for field use, but not for lab use.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

alm

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:02:17 am »
I agree that the sample rate is pretty low, so aliasing is likely to be a significant issue (the 20MHz bandwidth limit, if available, might help). The roll-off is probably just -6dB/octave, so a significant amount of signal above 60MHz will be present ('real' scopes which oversample just 2.5x would use a brick-wall filter, as opposed to Gaussian). Plus I would be concerned if they got the analog part and UI right. I think a customer review on DX complained about bad performance at 10mV/div. For many uses, like in a moving car, I think a portable bench scope (eg. Rigol/Instek) with battery option would be a better choice.

It looks like the channels are not isolated, since a handheld scope is rarely grounded, that means that the shell of the BNC connector might be a shock hazard, many regular scopes with a battery option state that the scope should be connected to ground with a separate grounding wire at all times. You would also have to be careful that the ground on both channels is common, just like on a normal scope, as opposed to handheld scopes from Fluke and Tek (I think the latter was discontinued).

On the Hantek product page, in light gray, it states '(ebay 199c)', which is clearly an attempt to attract customers looking for a Fluke 199C Scopemeter. Same as the 'multimeter, like Fluke' that you often see offered. Not an honest way to market your product based on features, price and quality.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 01:30:27 pm »
If you look at some of the screens, they look quite....Rigolish.

Where does Hantek fit in the hierarchy in China?  Are they a cloner
or ODM?  Is their stuff relabeled and sold as other brands?

Agree that a bench Rigol beats this hands down, but for a handheld
portable, do these scopes have any competition at this price?

If I'm reading this right, the sample rates for the various models are:

1060: 150Ms/sec
8060: 250Ms/sec
1200: 500Ms/sec

Very hard to find any real-world reviews of these online.

Scott

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 03:55:41 pm »
.. and roughly /10 the sample rates the usable frequency response is:

1060: 150Ms/sec ~15 MHz
8060: 250Ms/sec ~25
1200: 500Ms/sec ~50

A lot of the extra costs goes into packing the electronics into a small form, but does it also come with robustness?  Given its size and intended purpose, its more likely to take spills. 

The Rigol 1052E uses 50W, which is easy to supply with a small DC-AC inverter to run off 12Vdc.

If your actual needs are more modest for quickie waveform views, Tequipment is dumping the Velleman HPS 40 at $200.  It works off 5 AA and having used it, know the battery life will run > 10h using NiMH, its usable to 4 Mhz and clean response to 1 Mhz.

If a review does occur, let us know, at least I'd be interested in seeing what is said.  Hopefully, its tested properly; there is a review here but it hardly says anything sales talk has already said:

http://www.electro-tech-online.com/general-electronics-chat/98251-best-hobbyist-o-scope.html#post796124

If you look at some of the screens, they look quite....Rigolish.

Where does Hantek fit in the hierarchy in China?  Are they a cloner
or ODM?  Is their stuff relabeled and sold as other brands?

Agree that a bench Rigol beats this hands down, but for a handheld
portable, do these scopes have any competition at this price?

If I'm reading this right, the sample rates for the various models are:

1060: 150Ms/sec
8060: 250Ms/sec
1200: 500Ms/sec

Very hard to find any real-world reviews of these online.

Scott

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:09:22 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 12:51:37 am »
Looks like this has dropped to $489 now. 

Still not much in the way of reviews on the web of any of
the Hantek scopes, although this discussion at rcgroups
seems to promise reviews from several people real soon now...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270901&page=4

Scott

Offline PetrosA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 01:55:56 am »
I've been following that thread too. It seems like a good tool for me as an electrician instead of a plug in scope.
I miss my home I miss my porch, porch

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 02:15:58 pm »
Me too! Hantek DS1200 (200MHz) $642 Free Shipping!
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline darkstar614

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 03:47:37 am »
I hate to open a old topic here, but I can not find hardly any good information on this scope. I own this scope and, yes, i know, it isn't the latest and greatest lab standard with all the bells and whatnots. But, for a hobbyist like me, just trying to muck around and learn, it is great! So, I will attempt to do a simple review about it. Where to start... The display I guess. It is bright, and big enough to do what you need to do, without being cluttered. You _can_ have a whole lot of info on it at once if you are doing something special, but for the most part, it is a clear screen that even with my crappy eyesight I can read all the numbers! The keys on the front are well laid out, I suppose, although I am by no means an expert on scopes, but the controls on this one, although "soft" and no knobs, when you hold them down they skip and are, for the most part pretty good. the menu system is also straight forward, maybe not all the options of a $9000 unit, but who can afford that anyway?! Channel selection, etc etc is all right there, and color coded for the 2 channels.

I have owned the unit for a couple of years now, and for the small projects I work on, it is great. It has a good battery life (8 hours of solid use), and for a portable scope that is truly portable, not "luggable", it can survive even one of my days "at work". It is rugged! I abuse equipment, really really bad. For something to last me a year is a testament to it's durability! I knock it off the desk, step on it, snag the cord and sling it on the floor, blow smoke into it, yank out the cables, spill coffee on it - things that would kill that $9000 one, but this thing takes it in stride and chugs along. For a quick grab and go 60 mhz scope, I think it is a good buy, especially at the $350 price!

The cons: It does have a few. For one, I would like to see a better multimeter built into the thing. It's "OK", but I was hoping it would be better than an "off the shelf $50 meter", but, I admit, it isn't. It has a _basic_ built in multimeter, and that's about it. It works fine, but - "meh". As far as support, I have not had to rely on that part of it, but I suspect that it is non existent (although I don't know that for sure!). I got mine on an auction site, I paid and they sent it... I have a feeling that's as far as it goes, but not having to use "support" in the first place, for me, is better than award winning support.

I give it an 8/10

It has it's limit, but the thing just works, as advertised, and for me, that's what I want.

thanks for reading this dusty old thread!

Offline arekm

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 04:51:12 pm »
I see it for 323$ and free shipping. Is it worth that (and no better competition in similar price range) these days?

Edit: ok, likely not worth it... since there is DSO1062B
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:57:08 pm by arekm »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf