Author Topic: Youtube videos no audio  (Read 4485 times)

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Youtube videos no audio
« on: December 31, 2016, 04:10:38 am »
Am I just being overly critical or do others have the same feeling about Youtube videos that have no audio associated with them? Every time I stumble across one, I put up with it for about 10 seconds and then move on. If you can't offer any audible explanation, don't waste my time. That is like watching TV with the mute function activated. Video with no audio only works for sports shows.

The following users thanked this post: tpowell1830

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Re: Youtube videos no audio
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 04:14:43 am »
uhh, what does this have to do with electronics?

Anyways, no I do not feel that way. There are perfectly decent times where no audio is acceptable like in a time lapse.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 04:40:21 am »
Anyways, no I do not feel that way. There are perfectly decent times where no audio is acceptable like in a time lapse.

I think you're not seeing the big picture here(check your concrete thinking).  Twooffive left out that he's (most likely referring too) youtube videos like "Arduino to LCD interface"" and then it's just footage of someone with a arduino, a bread board mess of wires and a Nokia LCD on their desk - and no other info is given. When ever I run across a video like that I always give it a thumbs down.  Not to be spiteful, but just so that it sinks down in the search list.

Time-lapse is one of the few times it's ok to make a video with out narration.

There's a saying in the video and film production world that "audio is 90% of the picture" - and it's very true.

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:23 am »
Yeah, I see some with even someone righting in notepad and usually turn away. I'm sure there are reasons why it is done, but I'm not a big fan. My voice isn't the greatest, but I wouldn't prefer the no audio format for sure.
Gone for good

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 07:17:15 am »
I outright hate watching YT guides. If there is a text version, I prefer it much better as I can read it faster, seek through the data better, and normally get to the bloody point.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:24:43 am »
like watching TV with the mute function activated.
with the stupid news media  no audio is best IMO.  >:D
as for yt its up to the  :-//
so what does this have to do with electronics?
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 08:02:19 am »
i'll have a video with no audio instead of the generic electronic tunz tunz bullshit thank you very much

Offline Inflex

• Regular Contributor
    • Charters Towers Phone & Computer Repairs
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 08:25:03 am »
I outright hate watching YT guides. If there is a text version, I prefer it much better as I can read it faster, seek through the data better, and normally get to the bloody point.

+1 to this.  Too many times you wait, wait and wait for some crucial bit of info and then they mumble it out and you're thinking "Well, that was a jolly fine way to waste my life". 

For certain there's plenty of things I like to watch on videos ( Louis Rossmann replacing SMCs ), but for reference type items, I do also prefer the static-written form (like iFixit I suppose, for lack of other quick to use reference ).

That said, I make plenty of yabbering-on videos, and I've found I had a couple which recently lost audio due to YT music licence issues (even though it was licenced, but that's 10 yrs old now :( ).   Now that I think of it, I do have one where I didn't say anything, I didn't have a microphone :-o 
Magicsmoke abuser | What I repair daily on YouTube | FlexBV
- BoardView
| Paul Daniels

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 08:37:02 am »
What about a video of say an IC/semiconductor slowly melting or getting red hot and then letting the magic smoke out? What about one of those LED cubes or persistence of vision demonstrations?

Offline rcbuckTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 05:52:44 pm »
uhh, what does this have to do with electronics?

I was referring to so called instructional videos. Example: How to set up a freeware programming environment for ARM processors. They just start clicking on different items on the screen and expect you to follow along. Even if you could understand what they were trying to explain, you have to stop the video every 2 seconds to see what they clicked.

When they have spent 15 minutes clicking different items and showing software being installed, they think you now have a full understanding of how to set everything up. They then show a few lines of code, click a button in on the browser screen, an voila!, the LED lights up. You now know exactly how to set this up without a word being spoken.

Sometimes 100 words are worth 300 mouse clicks with no audio.

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 03:24:54 pm »
Yes and they do it with their 2560x1920 screen which image youtube compresses to a blury blob making it useless.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
I actually turn the audio off many times.  Listening to these people is often too irritating. And I keep scanning ahead.

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 06:04:37 am »
Sometimes YouTube is a convenient way for two parties to share a video of a problem or project that both of them are aware of and just need to see the problem/results/evidence/whatever.

Some other videos are painful, but then again, other viewers may not have the brains trust some here apparently walk around with.

and... not much in General Chat has much to do with electronics, generally.

:-DD
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 11:34:26 am »
i have another one: how to replace screen on a phone.
3 minutes of introduction mumbling the specs you can read everywhere.
actual video starts with phone already tore down
 :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf