Author Topic: Has anyone here bought a intel nuc?  (Read 6781 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Has anyone here bought a intel nuc?
« on: July 21, 2014, 08:51:50 am »
Just wondering after seeing this vdeo:

I don't know why, but it's pretty funny, and I wouldn't mind having one of the audio things to mess around with, wouldn't do much but still makes me chuckle, maybe I could paypal you the cost of postage to just chuck it in an envelope and send it my way if you have one?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:17:59 am by XOIIO »

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Has anyone here bought a intel nuc?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:32:06 am »
I have but there's no way I'm parting with mine :) Way too much value in watching the surprised coworkers' WTF-faces :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
I have but there's no way I'm parting with mine :) Way too much value in watching the surprised coworkers' WTF-faces :)

Lol, you have it hidden in a drawer or something to go off?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

I could have fun with that here.  It would drive SWMBO crazy  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:49:03 pm »

I could have fun with that here.  It would drive SWMBO crazy  :-DD

Well, an Idea I had for the heck of it would be to wire it up inside my PC, especially when I convert it to ATX from BTX to make a gaming machine (or at least one better than this), with supercaps instead of the batteries. It would be an intel processor so it would be fitting for it to play the "intel inside" sound whenever you opened the case  :-DD

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:01:00 pm »
Well, an Idea I had for the heck of it would be to wire it up inside my PC, especially when I convert it to ATX from BTX to make a gaming machine (or at least one better than this), with supercaps instead of the batteries. It would be an intel processor so it would be fitting for it to play the "intel inside" sound whenever you opened the case  :-DD

We have purchased a bunch of NUCs for headless remote systems.  It has become a gag to put these "Bum bom bum boooom" Intel sound devices around different places to surprise people.  Just a photo diode or transistor that goes off with light.  After vacation, one was in my downstairs lab when I turned on the lights.  :)

The only downside I have seen on the latest NUCs is for remote headless.  You get junky resolution, unless you add a HDMI to VGA or a specialized plug (like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLZXGJ6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3J2VUK9571N8X) to fake the EDID and allow higher resolution remoting.

The newer cases also now allow for a 2.5 HDD or SDD.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:04:13 pm »

We have purchased a bunch of NUCs for headless remote systems.  It has become a gag to put these "Bum bom bum boooom" Intel sound devices around different places to surprise people.  Just a photo diode or transistor that goes off with light.  After vacation, one was in my downstairs lab when I turned on the lights.  :)

The only downside I have seen on the latest NUCs is for remote headless.  You get junky resolution, unless you add a HDMI to VGA or a specialized plug (like this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLZXGJ6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3J2VUK9571N8X) to fake the EDID and allow higher resolution remoting.

The newer cases also now allow for a 2.5 HDD or SDD.

You don't still have a couple spares you could send my way do you?  :P

Offline chibiace

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »
have another video

my first thought was "laptop motherboard".
He Who Controls The Spice Controls The Universe

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »
have another video

my first thought was "laptop motherboard".

Lol, yeah, it's a pretty nifty marketing trick, I enjoy it though people like connor wolf don't  ^-^

I wish I worked for a company that ordered loads of those PC's, (Well, worked for anyone really, I need a job).

As a prank it would be fun to hook one of those up to every door in the house. Even fridge/freezer doors, bathrooms, bedrooms, maybe large cupboards. That would be awesome.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 07:33:17 pm »

Yup ;)

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »

I'm not sure I get this; could you elaborate, please? I thought the resolution when remoting depends only on the capabilities of the particular protocol/implementation you use. Or are you talking about some low-level firmware-hosted feature I don't know of? I'm currently using mine with RDP mostly and the experience is very much like using local peripherals (but then again, I see no reason for it to be any different than on any other form factor PC).

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 08:04:39 pm »

I'm not sure I get this; could you elaborate, please? I thought the resolution when remoting depends only on the capabilities of the particular protocol/implementation you use. Or are you talking about some low-level firmware-hosted feature I don't know of? I'm currently using mine with RDP mostly and the experience is very much like using local peripherals (but then again, I see no reason for it to be any different than on any other form factor PC).

On the 4th Gen NUCs with Haswell, many people have issues with resolution for doing things like VNCing into the machine.  If it is not connected to a valid monitor, the remote display either wouldn't work or is very low resolution.  Intel's graphics team is looking into this, but I don't know if it is solved yet.  I believe that all the NUCs we have installed now are 3rd gen.  I am looking at some 4th gen for an application that is headless and that is why I came across that info.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 08:15:00 pm »
On the 4th Gen NUCs with Haswell, many people have issues with resolution for doing things like VNCing into the machine.  If it is not connected to a valid monitor, the remote display either wouldn't work or is very low resolution.  Intel's graphics team is looking into this, but I don't know if it is solved yet.  I believe that all the NUCs we have installed now are 3rd gen.  I am looking at some 4th gen for an application that is headless and that is why I came across that info.

Oh, I see, so that's a software issue, then. Perhaps VNC taps somewhere into the display pipeline so the OS "thinks" it's driving a real display all the time. I'm using Haswell NUC via RDP (Windows Remote Desktop) and it's properly agnostic of the physical display connected (or the lack of, for that matter).

EDIT:
I guess this (RDP design decisions) comes at the cost of not being able to utilize the remote machine's graphics hardware acceleration to the full extent, but even that I'm not really sure of.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 08:18:55 pm by Zbig »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf