Author Topic: Has there been a change in very low cost oscilloscopes below 100? Hi  (Read 1790 times)

Offline DistelzombieTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hi
I really need an oscilloscope. I am thinking of getting one of those small ones for less than a hundred bucks. (euro)
But the last time I checked there wasn't really any good ones. That was a year ago or earlier.
Has this changed?
Do you have a suggestion?

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
Other than an analog scope from eBay, I would not consider anything less than a PicoScope 2000 Series USB oscilloscope.

10MHz with probes for $139USD   https://www.picotech.com/oscilloscope/2000/picoscope-2000-overview

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 04:22:33 am by MarkF »

The following users thanked this post: oPossum

• Frequent Contributor
Well I would actually really appreciate something around 60 € including probes and everything. :(
I do not have any money. X(

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
Watch for an analog scope on eBay.
You take your chances on whether it works or not.

Example:  This would have USA power supply
Tektronix 2213 dual channel 60Mhz Oscilloscope

• Frequent Contributor
I tried that for month last year. Tektronix will reach more than a hundred easily. I just can't find a scope that I can trust that it works and that fits the price.
That's why I asked for those small scopes, if they increased in usability.

Online MarkF

• Super Contributor
I would say you are wasting your money but you could look here at the JEYTech DSO112A

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/oscilloscope-suggestions-for-a-beginner-that-is-50-dollars-and-under/msg748504/#msg748504

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
I tried that for month last year. Tektronix will reach more than a hundred easily. I just can't find a scope that I can trust that it works and that fits the price.
That's why I asked for those small scopes, if they increased in usability.

You mean those 100kHz kit "scopes" and the cheap versions of DSO Nano? Nope, they didn't. For 60 bucks you can't expect a usable scope unless you buy a used analog one. Also for 60 bucks or so you need to accept that you may not be able to have a 100% as-new working instrument. It will be used and may have some warts that you will need to fix. That's normal - you are shopping in the bargain basement here!

FYI, there are other brands than Tektronix. Old Tek scopes are being sold for ridiculous prices, often more than a brand new and orders of magnitude more capable digital scope from Rigol or Siglent costs. It is kinda like with Apple products - you often pay more for the brand, logo and nostalgia value than the actual product ... Forget Tektronix. Dave did some videos on how to find a bargain scope on eBay in the past, check those out - he lists also brands to look for, e.g. Phillips/Fluke, Kikusui, Hameg, HP ...

Also, if you don't have more than 60 euro, then don't eat out for a month and you can easily save another 60 to be able to afford e.g. that Picoscope. Or a decent analog scope. Jeeze, dude, you are in Germany, what should people in places like India or some South America countries say?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:59:58 am by janoc »

Online magic

• Super Contributor
Tek is an American brand common in America, in Germany look for Hameg or some commie stuff. I sometimes see inexpensive German analog scopes in Poland.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
Tek is an American brand common in America, in Germany look for Hameg or some commie stuff. I sometimes see inexpensive German analog scopes in Poland.

I would stay away from "commie" stuff if you actually want to use the scope. Those things are either tube behemoths from the 60-70ties or transistorized rarities you will never find replacement parts and manuals for. Not something I would sink limited budget into.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
I might have a used DSO Quad (if it still works) I can send it to you for free .  Send me a PM

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Has there been a change in very low cost oscilloscopes below 100? Hi
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 03:59:58 am »
In answer to the original question:
No, they are still crap! ;D

The following users thanked this post: hans

Offline DDunfield

• Regular Contributor
Re: Has there been a change in very low cost oscilloscopes below 100? Hi
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 09:27:26 am »
Well I would actually really appreciate something around 60 € including probes and everything. :(

Having looked at a few sub-$100 USB scopes, the only one I liked enough to keep was the OWON VDS1022

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/owon-vds1022i-quick-teardown-(versus-the-hantek-6022be)/

You should be able to find the non-isolated one pretty close to your budget, but I'd recommend springing for the 'I' version if you can, it's not much more and the benefit is substantial.

Dave

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf