Author Topic: Health and Safety - Battery Banks - Lithium et al  (Read 2444 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Health and Safety - Battery Banks - Lithium et al
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2024, 06:26:07 pm »
Also the misinformation is big, people think using water on li-ion battery fires will make the fire worse....

The risks are growing. There are many companies selling home batteries today. People also DIY-ing them. Using even scrap EV units.
Lots of them advertise the unit placed near the fusebox, in the attic next to the pv inverter, or even in a cupboard indoors.
Complete disregard for safety because they're done by enthausistic "innovators". And many youtube electrician influencers happily follow this trend without any second thoughts.

There still needs to be much legislation and standards drawn up for safety of these things in residentials and small business.
You should not put any big battery within or attached to the livable area of a home. Put it outdoors, or in your concrete shed meters away from your home.
My idea exactly. I still need to put the bigger power feed cable to my shed into the ground but I decided to add an extra pipe next to the cable through which I can pull data communication wiring straight to the fuse panel so I can have battery / hydrogen storage in the shed at the back of the garden instead of indoors. But it is a lot of extra work and I can imagine lots of people don't want to do that. Actually, upgrading the wiring to the solar inverter in the attic was a nightmare as I ended up needing to cut open walls in order to get to unreachable pipe / wire shafts.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf