Author Topic: what's behind the infamous Seagate BSY bug?  (Read 2386 times)

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
Re: what's behind the infamous Seagate BSY bug?
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2022, 05:48:44 pm »
Hard drive vendors are a case of 'who pissed you off least recently', they ALL have occasional utter turkeys.

Anyone remember the IBM "Deskstar" drives that universally became known as "Deathstar" drives, because that was the one thing they could be relied upon to do, die? It happens to all the manufacturers on occasion.

Thing is, if you are relying on your hard drive for data retention you are basically on borrowed time (yes, even if in a raid array), the things fail, it is what they do, and any drive is disposable if you do it right. Raid is about improving availability, it is NOT a backup solution (Which should be off site at a minimum).

SMR is a cheap way to big capacities in spinning rust, and for read mostly it is fine, but yea not for write heavy workloads or raid, just the wrong technology for the job.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
Re: what's behind the infamous Seagate BSY bug?
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2022, 09:06:58 pm »
Hard drive vendors are a case of 'who pissed you off least recently', they ALL have occasional utter turkeys.

Anyone remember the IBM "Deskstar" drives that universally became known as "Deathstar" drives, because that was the one thing they could be relied upon to do, die? It happens to all the manufacturers on occasion.
Well, it was just one model, the 75GXP. (I remember, my roomie at the time had one, without issues.) The models before and after were all fine.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf