Author Topic: Who can help to identify this weird connector? (Update: Identified as GX16)  (Read 2983 times)

Offline TBSTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello everybody,

I need help with identifying a weird connector. It’s some kind of 8 Pin round connector (photo 1-3) with the threads on the part with holes (photo 4). There is also a "Z" letter imprinted on the part with holes.
I tried to find it on ebay, Farnell, TME, but unsuccessfully. So far I found connector named CLIFF FC684218 on TME, but its the inverted version - the threads are on the side with pins and not holes.
I want to make an extension cord for the cable.

Thanks for any help and pointers.
TBS
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:26:12 pm by TBS »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
Re: Help identify a weird connector
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 11:54:52 pm »
It looks a lot like an "8 pin microphone connector".
Quite a few two way radios including Ham radios used them, as it allowed the manufacturer to include extra controls on the mic, like scanning buttons, etc.

Offline TBSTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Help identify a weird connector
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29:09 am »
It looks a lot like an "8 pin microphone connector".
Thanks for the info. So far I found connector named CLIFF FC684218 on TME, but its the inverted version - the threads are on the side with pins and not holes.

So, so far no luck unfortunately :(

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
Re: Who can help to identify this weird connector?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 07:26:54 pm »
It's not a microphone connector because that type has the pins at the transceiver end.

What's shown is a reverse gender microphone connector which I have never seen before.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online edpalmer42

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 07:48:17 pm »
I just call them DIN connectors.  Wikipedia seems to agree with me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

There are at least two sizes and a bucket full of different pin patterns - both with and without the screw-on locking feature.  Both Mouser and Digikey have lots of hits for 'DIN connector'.

Ed

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:51:19 pm »
While it looks like a DIN connector, I wouldn't put too much stock in that, especially since it's hard to get an idea of the scale. This looks like a weird bastardization between true DIN and XLR.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:57:21 am »
It's not a microphone connector because that type has the pins at the transceiver end.

What's shown is a reverse gender microphone connector which I have never seen before.
It may be possible with some versions of such connectors, to swap the plastic insert carrying the pins/socket holes over between the two metal surrounds.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 04:45:04 pm »
It looks like a "GX12/GX16/GX20" connector. Sometimes described as "aviation" connectors, but I doubt they have ever been approved for aviation use!

Basically a cheaper chinese copy of something with a much higher spec. For general use, they are OK.
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline TBSTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 01:23:49 pm »
It looks like a "GX12/GX16/GX20" connector. Sometimes described as "aviation" connectors.

You are correct, sir!
The day before you wrote I searched through eBay and google for the word "reverse" connector and it found something very similar named "GX16". I ordered two pieces from AliExpress and then even cheaper from eBay. They came today so you can check the picture below.

So, little recap for everyone:
Connector name: GX16 or AP020 8-Pin M16 Invert/reverse (16MF trans form Aviation Plug Circular Socket Connector)
You can find: on AliExpress or eBay

Offline soldar

• Super Contributor
I have seen those connectors used on boats. The connector on the bulkhead or panel is the female and the cable has the male pins. When not in use there is a cover for the bulkhead connector which screws on to protect it from the elements. Often they are all plastic.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf