Author Topic: Here's an interesting logic analyzer clone  (Read 38848 times)

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Here's an interesting logic analyzer clone
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2011, 05:41:46 pm »
Personal attack means you automatically lose argument. Great success.

You mean like calling someone a dummy, or saying they don't live in the real world? That kind of personal attack?

Posturing, im-better-than-you bullshit generally. Name calling I wouldn't call an attack. And you don't seem to live in the real world so I don't see how that's an attack.  :)

I also love how you bring up that you can afford the official LA. Good for you, don't look down on people because they're not as well off as you are.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 05:45:00 pm by 8086 »

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2011, 05:46:59 pm »
Name calling I wouldn't call an attack.

LOL.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2011, 05:48:30 pm »
Name calling I wouldn't call an attack.

LOL.

LOLOLLOLOL.

Sorry, I should have qualified that.

Name calling I wouldn't call an attack, if you are over the age of 13.

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2011, 05:49:19 pm »
I also love how you bring up that you can afford the official LA. Good for you, don't look down on people because they're not as well off as you are.

I look down on you because you're a thief. If you were a hard working, passionate small business man who was doing his best and supporting other small business people rather than stealing from them, I wouldn't look down on you no matter how much you made.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2011, 05:59:00 pm »

I look down on you because you're a thief. If you were a hard working, passionate small business man who was doing his best and supporting other small business people rather than stealing from them, I wouldn't look down on you no matter how much you made.

It's not up to me to support other small businesses. It's up to them to protect themselves if this type of thing is causing them real hardship. This seems to be what saleae is doing, and good if its hurting them.

If you look down on someone for this, then again, you need to try entering the real world once in a while. Do you look down on Bill Gates, did you look down on Steve Jobs? They have some not-so-great things in their past. Do you know who Stephen Fry is? Do you look down on him? I bet you don't, because I am 99.9999% sure they they are all more successful than you, however "hard working and passionate" you may be.

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:33 pm »
some not-so-great things in their past.

So now you admit your thieving is a not-so-great thing.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »
some not-so-great things in their past.

So now you admit your thieving is a not-so-great thing.

Refer to my comment about being pedantic.

I do not consider myself a thief.

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2011, 06:04:53 pm »

Well I consider you one.  :)

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »

Well I consider you one.  :)

I value my own opinion much more than yours. :)

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

We're well aware of your selfishness.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »

We're well aware of your selfishness.

And your judgemental and pedantic nature. Get a life, much?

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2011, 06:10:59 pm »

Why would I when I can have lively discussions with thieves on the internets!

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 06:11:45 pm »

Why would I when I can have lively discussions with thieves on the internets!

<pedant>so you admit you have no life!</pedant>

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »

Yes! None whatsoever!

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2011, 06:14:04 pm »

Yes! None whatsoever!

Excellent! We agree on something!

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:58 pm »
I read on a blog somewhere that the Saleae project started life as an open source project but then was made commercial haven't been able to confirm this ( not looked too hard) but If true where does this leave the developers? certainly not holding the moral high ground, But my point of view is if you don't protect your product properly don't whinge when it gets ripped off. The Saleae is a very well made product with great support, the Itead product isn't. You pays your money......
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline ToBeFrank

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 07:30:33 pm »
I read on a blog somewhere that the Saleae project started life as an open source project but then was made commercial haven't been able to confirm this ( not looked too hard) but If true where does this leave the developers? certainly not holding the moral high ground,

How so? If they were the developers of the code, they own the copyright. If they then decided to make it closed source, they have every right, legally or otherwise, to do so. If they took an open source project, and made it closed source, however, that's clearly illegal. However, if that were the case, I'm sure we would have heard of it by now.

But my point of view is if you don't protect your product properly don't whinge when it gets ripped off. The Saleae is a very well made product with great support, the Itead product isn't. You pays your money......

This argues for DRM on everything. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that DRM sucks. And when did it become a right to steal something because it doesn't have DRM on it?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 09:21:10 pm »
I read on a blog somewhere that the Saleae project started life as an open source project but
funny thing when i was searching info for scanalogic, the creator is (was?) a member in a forum asking questions, and almost having fight in dangerous-prototype. the magic thing about it that made me digging the net is how 20MHz clocked AVR sample at 20MSps, it turned out the circuit is more creative than i thought. it inspired DP admin? (or member? not sure) to copycat the topology.

The Saleae is a very well made product with great support, the Itead product isn't. You pays your money......
saleae is well made on the software (but not 100%), about the logic hardware, who's copy who? the cypress board? usbeex? or the china? or the saleae? the logic16 is just another fpga based LA, i would say similar to OLS. its just the good thing, just as other company/manufacturer, saleae put it all together into a working product. no mess with "no case" circuit, no mess with java or command line etc.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline FreeThinker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Truth through Thought
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 11:06:52 pm »
I read on a blog somewhere that the Saleae project started life as an open source project but then was made commercial haven't been able to confirm this ( not looked too hard) but If true where does this leave the developers? certainly not holding the moral high ground,

How so? If they were the developers of the code, they own the copyright. If they then decided to make it closed source, they have every right, legally or otherwise, to do so. If they took an open source project, and made it closed source, however, that's clearly illegal. However, if that were the case, I'm sure we would have heard of it by now.

But my point of view is if you don't protect your product properly don't whinge when it gets ripped off. The Saleae is a very well made product with great support, the Itead product isn't. You pays your money......

This argues for DRM on everything. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that DRM sucks. And when did it become a right to steal something because it doesn't have DRM on it?
I Think it was more a statement of intent rather than a true Open sourcing but none the less the hardware is hardly unique. The software is poorly protected, so DRM on everthing? If you want to stop the copycats Yes. If you want to sell your product No but then you need to accept that it will be copied. Morally wrong but part of the capitalist dream in the real world.The best you can do is keep your own house in order, but no amount of Drum banging will change things unfortunately.
Machines were mice and Men were lions once upon a time, but now that it's the opposite it's twice upon a time.
MOONDOG

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2011, 12:00:41 am »
I like to boycott products like this. I'd rather spend the $150 on the original Saleae logic analyzer from sparkfun rather than buy a cheap (and most likely crap quality) one-hung-low clone from china. Cheap clones have their place (i.e. programmers) but I like to support small innovative hobby targeted business when possible, especially when its in the US.

That's true, man, Saleae deserve all the credit and are likely to need the money to keep growing.

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »
I bought a Logic from Saleae about as soon as they came out - i've got heaps of use out of it and the software now works on my mac like the promised it would (okay it took a long time but it is definitely worth it!). I've also followed Joe's blog about the business and it's been a great read. Logic is really simple stuff but its 99% of what you need and for a good price. I also appreciate that they haven't made the software restrictive with registration or keys etc - I've had this bite me several times with purchased software and I LOATHE it. It would be a real kick in the teeth for them if their sales stagnated but software downloads went though the roof!

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »
Your grandmother can go suck an egg!
-Time

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »
2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Saleae Software or any part thereof.  The Saleae Software may not be operated in conjunction with logic analyzer devices which are not manufactured by Saleae LLC.

There it is. Now go sue the bastards!   :P

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf