Author Topic: high frequency transformer on 60hz  (Read 723 times)

Offline OwaisAhmedTopic starter

• Contributor
  • !
high frequency transformer on 60hz
« on: January 25, 2022, 05:56:27 pm »
i was looking for low voltage ac supply transformer. that i can use on breadboard to practice about what i learn. so i had a lcd smps i took a transformer from it that convert 220 ac to 12v and 5v. i know that those transformer work on around 300khz frequency. so if i run this on 60hz. what could be the problems and why frequency matter in transformer. i actually tried it shows around 2 to 2.5v on ouput.

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
Re: high frequency transformer on 60hz
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 06:03:32 pm »
High frequency transformers have lower inductance than low frequency transformers.  The “magnetizing” inductance (approximately equal to the self-inductance of the primary winding) is in parallel with the ideal transformer’s primary;  the low inductance of the h.f. unit essentially shorts out the primary at low frequency.
Check out the internet on transformer models, including “magnetizing” and “leakage” inductances to get a feel for frequency effects.

Offline bob91343

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 06:24:12 pm »
It's almost a certainty that running a transformer on a much lower frequency will result in disaster.  The core will saturate immediately, causing high current limited only by winding resistance.  First the explosion, then the smoke.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 01:09:58 pm »
The voltage a transformer will tolerate varies approximately with the frequency supplied to it. A transformer from a 220VAC SMPS would likely have +/- 300V applied to the primary, and if it was designed for 300kHz then it might only tolerate (60Hz/300,000Hz) x 300V = 0.06V. Not much all. Probably an oversimplification, but you get the general idea.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 01:56:54 am by Circlotron »

Offline Kim Christensen

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 05:28:20 am »
If you just want a source of low voltage AC to experiment with as a hobbyist, then look into getting a wallwart with an AC output. (No rectifier/cap inside):

https://www.allelectronics.com/category/912/ac-ac-wall-adapters/1.html
(Not endorsing this site. Just an example)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf