Author Topic: HL Black Mesa mod is out.  (Read 14683 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
HL Black Mesa mod is out.
« on: September 14, 2012, 07:43:31 pm »
HL Black Mesa mod is out.   8)

http://www.mediafire.com/?khmzyygg4vetko0

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline LEECH666

• Frequent Contributor
Re: HL Black Mesa mod is out.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:14:23 pm »
Thanks for the link. Official servers seem to be down ...

:)

//EDIT: DOW! It's a torrent. xD

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:36:30 pm »
Hair stood on end and a dumb look that's for sure. Fact the trailer lags my computer is disconcerting, shame 8800GTX burned out - may try that crazy microwave reflow fixerupper technique modders seem to use, why not, it's combining interests!
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
BLACK MESA SOURCE IS OUT!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 04:03:59 am »
black mesa source came out. This is A FREE TO PLAY remake of half life that was in development by fans for a number of years. It is completely fucking awesome and I believe its free to play if you download the source sdk 2007.

www.blackmesasource.com

People are saying that this game surpasses valve quality.

;D ;D ;D ;D

In order to play:
www.steampowered.com (download the client and make an account, click on library, scroll down to tools, find source sdk2007)

www.blackmesaSOURCE.COM (download the torrent, install)

play!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 04:06:25 am by ftransform »

Offline poodyp

• Regular Contributor
Re: BLACK MESA SOURCE IS OUT!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:18:44 am »

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »
Not even half a page down...

you should be out on the street yelling at people to download black mesa instead of being a party pooper.

Offline Jimmy the Squid

• Regular Contributor
  • Complete and utter newb.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »
Just great. I finally crush my video game addiction by adopting a "buying stuff for my electronics hobby" addiction, and now this comes out.  :'(

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 06:44:37 pm »
A least this is free of charge.  :D :D :D

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 11:47:21 pm »
wow, i totally wasn't expecting such a high quality remake.
It really looks and feels exactly how a Halflife 1 remake should be.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:05:37 am »
this needs to be reviewed by dave AND mike

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 12:50:08 am »
I can't somehow see Dave being a Black Mesa fan. Life's too busy!

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 01:10:19 am »
this needs to be reviewed by dave AND mike

If they ever review/play any game it should be Portal 1 and 2 since they're not entertainment that just wastes time.

They forever change how you look at the world in a really remarkable way. It's like opening up another dimension in how you think.
Completely indescribable to anyone who's not played it.

And of course the games are entertaining and funny on top of it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 01:41:07 am by Psi »

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 01:31:30 am »
From the visual and audio aspects it is an amazing mod.

However, what they failed at is how to tell a story: that's where you see Valve's experience at mixing shooting with slow paced moments to relax the player after a fight, you can see Valve's talent at invisibly guiding the player so that it would listen to the engineers around and get the story, and lots of other things.

The people behind Black Mesa failed here, they chopped the original game in lots of places which makes the story hard to understand and at some points, I found that the directions are hard to spot or missing completely - the player might not know what to do, where to go, might get confused if he/she didn't play the original game. 

They also failed to see how some scenes in the original game were not there just to make the game longer but actually to make the player more emotional, to care about the engineers and cops in the game. They butchered those moments (for example the engineer "hiding" on top of the generator that got electrocuted in the original game, now he has no worries in a small room on the side of the generator).
In other places there are engineers hiding or panicked and they removed them thinking they were pointless but they actually had an important role, to teach new players how to crouch or do long jumps or introduce them to electrified water and other dangers.

Some parts are very shrunk, for example the part where the soldiers are coming to "rescue" them to the point the player doesn't even get a chance to be afraid of them or spot their behavior, see how they throw grenades or hide behind crates.... 5-8 soldiers dead and that scene is finished.

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 03:51:18 am »
Go on... Tell me... Who pressed the red button as soon as they went into the first room?

"Achievement Unlocked!" :-[

hehe yeah, did that. And i used the terminal to the left as well.

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:11 am »
Not even half a page down...

you should be out on the street yelling at people to download black mesa instead of being a party pooper.

I think he was just making a small reminder to do a search before you post as the topic may already exist.  ;)

Offline Mint.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 10:02:03 am »
So is this just half-life 1 updated?

What is black mesa?
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 11:05:11 am »
So is this just half-life 1 updated?

What is black mesa?

Many years back when valve re-released HalfLife 1 using the HalfLife 2 graphics engine many people felt it wasn't very good. It looked exactly the same just with better lighting.
So some people decided to do it themselves. They added high res textures, updated all the models and added lots of extra detail to all the maps, one my one. Valve saw how well they were doing it and offered to help by getting proper voice actors to do new dialog. etc.

They call their remake Black Mesa
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:07:34 am by Psi »

Offline Sionyn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:36:18 pm »
The Black Mesa Research Facility, or B.M.R.F. for short,is the headquarters of the Black Mesa corporation and the primary setting for Half-Life and its three expansions, Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Decay. It is located in the New Mexico desert, USA.

half life series are amazing game well worth a look half life 2 comes very close to perfect
eecs guy

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 05:14:38 am »
Yeah, i noticed that to, the jump/crouch/sprint combo doesn't respond as quick as it should.

It's very obvious in the area where you jump along the top of 10 or so containers.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 01:12:11 am »
What's more annoying is the point where they decided to make it a 100% FPS game.

It's Half Life. It is an FPS game, it cannot be anything else.

Offline Pentium100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:24 am »
I was thinking more of games like Modern Warfare 3, where it is a different level of FPS and pretty much 100% first person 'shooting'. I really like the puzzles the Half-Life series of games included and also like the ones included in the Black Mesa mod. It's the kind of play style I prefer.

As I remember, the original Half Life was pretty much the same. The only thing I dislike about BM is that it is single threaded - it uses only a quarter of my PCs power and as a result is full of micro lags (and turning down graphics does not really help since this is a CPU problem).

Offline Mint.

• Frequent Contributor
  • Account is inactive now. Thanks everybody!
    • Personal Blog, Mint Electronics.
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 11:52:51 am »
What's more annoying is the point where they decided to make it a 100% FPS game.

I was thinking more of games like Modern Warfare 3, where it is a different level of FPS and pretty much 100% first person 'shooting'. I really like the puzzles the Half-Life series of games included and also like the ones included in the Black Mesa mod. It's the kind of play style I prefer.

Black Mesa also changed the AI of the bots so they immediately knew where you were and were already aiming in your direction when far away. Very difficult to choose a strategy such as sneaking around another direction and throwing a grenade at their location. There's very little strategy on some parts of the game and too much of a focus on killing one soldier after another. The in game joke was funny, however, on the bit where you're overwhelmed by soldiers and you leave a bloodbath in one room, and the other characters comment on what you have done. ;D

Want puzzles? Play portal! I recommend it!
Personal Blog (Not Active Anymore), Mint Electronics:
http://mintelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline ftransform

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2012, 01:42:53 pm »

Black Mesa also changed the AI of the bots so they immediately knew where you were and were already aiming in your direction when far away. Very difficult to choose a strategy such as sneaking around another direction and throwing a grenade at their location. There's very little strategy on some parts of the game and too much of a focus on killing one soldier after another. The in game joke was funny, however, on the bit where you're overwhelmed by soldiers and you leave a bloodbath in one room, and the other characters comment on what you have done. ;D

I was able to sneak in a "cooked" grenade on several of the HECU guards.

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:05 pm »
Finally got around to playing it. Started 11:30 for a half hour round, shower, and be in bed by 12-12:30. The game crashed at 2 and I finally noticed the time :o

I love the soldier's new voices, and that MP5... ;D ;D ;D Running with weapons how they dip a bit, and I am a fan of the revolver's iron sights, which is fair enough, as I always turn autoaim and crosshairs off. (crosshair 0 in dev console)

PS: Bullsquids WERE my favourite  >:(
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:51:54 pm by MmCoffee »
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 10:41:32 pm »
I guess you guys favourite is the whole HL series, i've been playing Battlefield from version 1 up to 3 to even know something called "HalfLife" existed  :-[
PS: I have never played counter-strike

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf