Author Topic: Holy overpriced bs batman  (Read 15636 times)

Offline XOIIOTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Holy overpriced bs batman
« on: May 09, 2014, 09:15:26 pm »
Well, I'm out looking for a 500ma fuse for my multimeter as I blew mine by accident, we have two electronics stores, one halfway across town that is too far for this and a small chain called the source (formerly radio shack), I phone them up since the automotive store had none, they have a fuse, but they want $5 for it. Is it just me or is that freaking insane? I can't imagine how much HRC fuses would be if they sold them, sheesh

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
Re: Holy overpriced bs batman
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:54 pm »
5$ for a glass fuse? that's basically the cost of the cooper-bussmann HRC 440mA fuse from a major distributor..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:28:59 pm by Fsck »
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:23:47 pm »
Digi-Key wanted $31 for a fuse for my Fluke 77.  Amazon $6.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 09:33:39 pm »
5$ for a glass fuse? that's basically the cost of the cooper-bussmann HRC 440mA fuse from a major distributor..

I know right?

when I have cash I'm going to order fuse holders from digikey and convert my multimeter ASAP to some fuses the electronics store will actually carry. I'm thinking Canadian tire might have them as it's the same physical size that was in the old mastercraft.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:54 pm »
Well, 66 cents at the industrial electronics store, but with traffic and lights it's probably a 20 minute drive :/

Canadian tire probably has them but for a fair bit more and maybe a 14 minute drive, so not really worth it. Guess I just have to wait a bit.

edit: fuck, that's right, the only good electronics store closes at frigging four oclock, so I'd never even make it.

God I hate living in Canada sometimes, with all the electronics stores people talk about in the states.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:46:45 pm by XOIIO »

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:45:10 pm »
Take a nail and saw it to the correct length.  You can then rest easy knowing that you'll never blow it again.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:42 pm »
It's been a while sense I've looked in my fluke manuals, but I seem to recalled they were pretty specific as to the fuse type to use and to not just use any old fuse with the same current rating?
And I bet the specific fuse they suggest is not a standard low cost type.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 09:55:27 pm »
It's been a while sense I've looked in my fluke manuals, but I seem to recalled they were pretty specific as to the fuse type to use and to not just use any old fuse with the same current rating?

Well, this isn't a fluke (unsure if you were confused) but I double checked in test equipment to see what people thought/what the fuse voltage is usually rated, so I found out they are 4ag and 5ag fuses and found the appropriate holders on digikey, and they are usually rated 1000v and the specific amperage, and the local store sells fuses for flukes and amprobes so once I have it modded I'll just grab a couple four packs or whatever they have and be set to go.

Having HRC fuses probably isn't all that important for my use, but it will be nice to have them just in case.

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 09:59:18 pm »
Is this on the uni-t you just received a few days ago?

If so... sigh.. that's why you can't have nice things... don't you see a problem with blowing a fuse so soon?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:09:41 pm »

If so... sigh.. that's why you can't have nice things... don't you see a problem with blowing a fuse so soon?

This affects you how aside from you having a crappy attitude in almost every one of my threads?

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:06 pm »
It doesn't affect me in any way, but since this is a free forum that gives me the ability to express my thoughts on this issue that you made public.

As for my attitude, there's no rule saying that everyone should be happy for you that you are reckless with your equipment, especially when you complain about not affording stuff and that things are expensive. There's also no rule about people having to only answer in a positive way to your threads and encourage you to kill yourself in the process.

Sometimes it's better to have some voices telling you to be more careful and maybe something sticks to you eventually.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:40:15 pm »
It doesn't affect me in any way, but since this is a free forum that gives me the ability to express my thoughts on this issue that you made public.

As for my attitude, there's no rule saying that everyone should be happy for you that you are reckless with your equipment, especially when you complain about not affording stuff and that things are expensive. There's also no rule about people having to only answer in a positive way to your threads and encourage you to kill yourself in the process.

Sometimes it's better to have some voices telling you to be more careful and maybe something sticks to you eventually.

Yes, because dealing with a battery that was able to give out 500ma sure is reckless, I might just kill someone with that, good thing I keep it under lock and key, sure don't want that kind of power getting into the wrong hands.

If you want to act bitchy about something than do it in a thread where you have a reason to, the past few times you have had no reason to, but I guess your hate boner is just too strong to resist eh?

At least when I damage something it's not because I dropped it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:46:01 pm by XOIIO »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:07 pm »
You're likely thinking of HRC types, where there's a rupture current rating (in the kA range). So long as the current remains below this value, the fuse won't burst open as a safety feature (human injury). Pricey vs. glass fuses, but far cheaper than expensive medical bills or even a funeral that could result without them.

I get your point (reckless & perhaps should put a bit more thought into what he's doing before poking around).

But keep in mind, he's still learning. Cheaper to learn on glass fuses rather than HRC's in such cases, and assuming mains isn't involved, it should be relatively safe for the user as well. Frightened perhaps, but no missing fingers, hands, or eyes at any rate, and the lesson still gets through.

Hell, even the most highly experienced person can have an off day now and again (distracted, in a hurry, ...), and can forget to move the positive probe to the correct jack and blow a fuse.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 10:45:25 pm »
You're likely thinking of HRC types, where there's a rupture current rating (in the kA range). So long as the current remains below this value, the fuse won't burst open as a safety feature (human injury). Pricey vs. glass fuses, but far cheaper than expensive medical bills or even a funeral that could result without them.

I get your point (reckless & perhaps should put a bit more thought into what he's doing before poking around).

But keep in mind, he's still learning. Cheaper to learn on glass fuses rather than HRC's in such cases, and assuming mains isn't involved, it should be relatively safe for the user as well. Frightened perhaps, but no missing fingers, hands, or eyes at any rate, and the lesson still gets through.

Hell, even the most highly experienced person can have an off day now and again (distracted, in a hurry, ...), and can forget to move the positive probe to the correct jack and blow a fuse.

It was not because I was learning, it's because the wire connected to the battery had a small break in it I did not see, I measured it on the amps range and picked up nothing, changed to miliamps and by moving the clip leads connected it fully allowing the current through.

Offline rexxar

• Frequent Contributor
    • Forever Tinkering
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:59:15 pm »

XOIIO made a dumb mistake and blew a fuse, what is your problem? He didn't wreck the meter or set his house on fire, so I'm left to assume you're just a dick.

Besides, how a perfect stranger on the internet treats their equipment is not really any of your business to begin with. And it's not like this is some $3000 8.5 digit Agilent meter, it's a Uni-T, who cares? (besides pedantic dicks)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 12:30:00 am »
It was not because I was learning, it's because the wire connected to the battery had a small break in it I did not see, I measured it on the amps range and picked up nothing, changed to miliamps and by moving the clip leads connected it fully allowing the current through.
Intermittent contacts has driven me crazy on more than a few occasions.

BTW, did you use the REL button?
Might help (zero out, and if no reading/value after probing, double check connections before moving the probe to a different jack or the range switch). I mention this, due to the cost and inconvenience (finding the one you need & quickly) of replacing HRC fuses.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 12:32:01 am »
Intermittent contacts has driven me crazy on more than a few occasions.

BTW, did you use the REL button?
Might help (zero out, and if no reading/value after probing, double check connections before moving the probe to a different jack or the range switch). I mention this, due to the cost and inconvenience (finding the one you need & quickly) of replacing HRC fuses.

Nah, didn't hit rel, I just got a really odd reading at .1 amps or something, this meter isn't the fastest, so I changed over, shoulda tried moving it around a bit.

Offline Joule Thief

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 05:57:16 am »
Reckless actions should never be wrapped in a protective shroud labeled "he is just learning". Recklessness is characterized by indifference to danger and acting without forethought. Quick searches of Youtube videos show this to be true.

Unfortunately, recklessness has a spectrum which includes both blowing 500ma fuses and, at the opposite end, the loss of human life. You have already blown the fuse. You have already moved further up the spectrum by rationalizing how YOU don't need the safety fuses inside your meter. Please consider re-evaluating any attitude which enables further movement upward in this spectrum.

Consider the responses to your post to be genuine concern for your safety and continued success in your future endeavors. Don't lightly brush off suggestions or corrections with which you may not agree and attribute them solely to someone's  "hate boner" toward you.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:00:03 am by Joule Thief »
Perturb and observe.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 06:23:27 am »
I was going to suggest home depot $3.74 for a pair 0.5A, 250V, 5x20mm, fast blown:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cooper-Bussmann-GMA-Series-500-mA-Silver-5mm-x-20mm-Fuses-2-Pack-BP-GMA-500MA/100149086

mouser search for the same part for datasheet:
http://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine.aspx?Keyword=BP-GMA-500MA

Edit: but not sure if Home Depot operates in Canada, I'm assuming it does.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:26:16 am by miguelvp »

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 06:43:11 am »
Reckless actions should never be wrapped in a protective shroud labeled "he is just learning". Recklessness is characterized by indifference to danger and acting without forethought. Quick searches of Youtube videos show this to be true.

Unfortunately, recklessness has a spectrum which includes both blowing 500ma fuses and, at the opposite end, the loss of human life. You have already blown the fuse. You have already moved further up the spectrum by rationalizing how YOU don't need the safety fuses inside your meter. Please consider re-evaluating any attitude which enables further movement upward in this spectrum.

Consider the responses to your post to be genuine concern for your safety and continued success in your future endeavors. Don't lightly brush off suggestions or corrections with which you may not agree and attribute them solely to someone's  "hate boner" toward you.

If I read correctly, the OP, with the meter with the blown fuse in question, was NOT looking to replace the fuse with a bodge. He was merely trying to start a conversation as to why fuses are so damned expensive, for what they are. Sheesh.

@mariush: In no way was the OP being Reckless in his work. He had the meter on the current on the highest level and worked down when he wasn't getting a reading, obviously assuming that there was less current flowing then he thought. He didn't know that there was a significant break in a wire that was open-circuiting. For all we know the guy was measuring current from a simple 9V battery, which is more then able to output 500mA

Added to that. I would call a $5 fuse replacement a better lesson then a $100+ meter replacement, plus whatever medical bills would come with that.

Obviously mariush/Joule Thief you think that anyone with a lower knowledge base then you should not be allowed to start to learn anything electronic. I believe you will have a busy life ahead of you, with all that travelling around the world to judge every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to plug a cable in anywhere.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 06:45:11 am by kizzap »
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 07:04:01 am »
edit. On second thought, maybe it's better not to say this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:17:50 am by mariush »

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 08:27:55 am »
I do get mariush's point. We are talking about someone who wants to start a youtube channel to lecture others about electronics. But has shown in other threads he doesn't know anything about electronics, can't afford it, and, possibly the worst, refuses to learn. I.e. just an attention seeker.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline kizzap

• Supporter
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 09:47:12 am »
I do get mariush's point. We are talking about someone who wants to start a youtube channel to lecture others about electronics. But has shown in other threads he doesn't know anything about electronics, can't afford it, and, possibly the worst, refuses to learn. I.e. just an attention seeker.

I point you to mjlorton's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mjlorton

Just because something seems trivial to yourself, doesn't mean that it is common knowledge. For example, I only just found out that you can use a diode as a switch! Yet it is something that is commonly used by RF guys.
<MatCat> The thing with aircraft is murphy loves to hang out with them
<Baljem> hey, you're the one who apparently pronounces FPGA 'fuhpugger'

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2014, 10:18:34 am »

I point you to mjlorton's channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mjlorton

Just because something seems trivial to yourself, doesn't mean that it is common knowledge. For example, I only just found out that you can use a diode as a switch! Yet it is something that is commonly used by RF guys.

Check and Mate!

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2014, 11:04:54 am »
You can choose between a cheap standard glass fuse rated for mains voltage and intended to be used in your common electronics device, and an expensive DMM fuse rated for 1000V and able to break high currents while preventing splinters of glass all over the place. If you're just working with low voltages and currents the standard glass fuse is ok but you should put a sticker on the DMM stating that in case someone else uses the DMM, so he won't trust the CATIII or whatever rating printed on the DMM. And remember, cheap DMMs got cheap fuses.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf