Author Topic: How can a tungsten filament bulb shorts or explode?  (Read 7678 times)

Offline thexenoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Just another EE
    • Personal website
How can a tungsten filament bulb shorts or explode?
« on: October 02, 2019, 09:27:26 pm »
Hi, I got an old classic tungsten bulb, not new and also not very old, when a friend turn it on and reported it "blinked" and burned. I thought ok, it burned, let's change it, it happens.

But then I thought: why a bulb blinks bright? Is it the arc the filament creates? Because I did not see it, but a non- electronics expert friend did, I can't describe how was the "flash".

Ok, but then when I change it I realize:

1. the local breaker tripped
2. the internals were all burned - check pictures: one internal wire completely evaporated, the screw got a hole, the little solder joint on the side of the screw got melted and burned. And the (not so weared) filament is broken on 3 points.

Seems a short circuit, but if so, how could that happens? What I miss?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:30:59 pm by thexeno »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: How can a tungsten filament bulb shorts or explode?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »
For decades I never saw a breaker trip when an incandescant lamp blew, but since about 2000 the breaker seems to trip with every bulb failure. Perhaps something has changed in bulb construction.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:06:12 pm »
For decades I never saw a breaker trip when an incandescant lamp blew, but since about 2000 the breaker seems to trip with every bulb failure. Perhaps something has changed in bulb construction.

I think bulbs used to have a fusible link to protect the external circuit on failure. Maybe later bulbs cut this out to save money?

Ok, but then when I change it I realize:

2. the internals were all burned - check pictures: one internal wire completely evaporated, the screw got a hole, the little solder joint on the side of the screw got melted and burned. And the (not so weared) filament is broken on 3 points.

Seems a short circuit, but if so, how could that happens? What I miss?

When a bulb fails the gap in the filament can cause an arc to form between internal parts of the bulb (evaporated metal forms a highly conductive plasma). This arc is effectively a short circuit and it causes a momentary current spike that can blow fuses or trip breakers. It was traditional for bulbs to have some internal protection to guard against this event.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 10:27:04 pm »
My understanding of what happens when a filament lamp burns out is this:
the tungsten filament develops a weak spot
the weak spot is higher resistance
higher resistance causes hot spot, glows brighter
the hot spot reaches tungsten vapourizing temperature
tungsten vapourizes, creating higher gas preasure in bulb

If the bulb has been on for a while and the ends are hot, the solder may be softening, on verge of melting.
The increased gas preasure may be enough to push a hole in the solder.

Offline SparkyFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:50:52 pm »
or it became leaky, drew oxygen and then simply burned up. The resulting mechanical movement might break the other parts of the filament as well.
Support your local planet.

Online soldar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 07:19:45 am »
My understanding of what happens when a filament lamp burns out is this:
the tungsten filament develops a weak spot
the weak spot is higher resistance

When the light bulb is turned on the overall resistance of the filament is very low so the weak spot heats up faster than the rest and vaporises. This is the reason so many filament light bulbs fail when turned on. If you use a dimmer or other current limiter to bring the light bulb gradually up to working temperature the light bulb will last much longer.
All my posts are made with 100% recycled electrons and bare traces of grey matter.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 08:11:21 am »

When a bulb fails the gap in the filament can cause an arc to form between internal parts of the bulb (evaporated metal forms a highly conductive plasma). This arc is effectively a short circuit and it causes a momentary current spike that can blow fuses or trip breakers. It was traditional for bulbs to have some internal protection to guard against this event.
Yes - that's exactly it - the arc burns back along the filament until you have a low-impedance arc across a shorter filament, or eventually the support wires if it lasts that long. This will usually trip the breaker first, but it is possible the heat can cause the glass to break. Before chnaging to LEDs, a blown bulb would regularly trip the 6A breaker in my house lighting circuit
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Regular Contributor
  • Just another EE
    • Personal website
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 09:01:47 am »

Yes - that's exactly it - the arc burns back along the filament until you have a low-impedance arc across a shorter filament, or eventually the support wires if it lasts that long. This will usually trip the breaker first, but it is possible the heat can cause the glass to break. Before chnaging to LEDs, a blown bulb would regularly trip the 6A breaker in my house lighting circuit

But the tungsten get interrupted on one short spot: I would explain this if the arc somehow expands to bypass the whole filament. Or is that what are you saying? If so, I don't get how the plasma, once generated, can bypass the whole filament, rather than only the spot of missing tungsten.

Offline Kilrah

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 09:07:38 am »
Once the filament ruptures it will flop around and increase the gap, then burn up itself as well.

Offline jogri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:17:43 am »
When the light bulb is turned on the overall resistance of the filament is very low so the weak spot heats up faster than the rest and vaporises.

True for normal light bulbs, but not fur tungsten: Those bulbs actually repair their weakspots. It's called the van-Arkel-de Boer process. You basically have a small amount of iodine in your bulb that will react with free tungsten atoms that evaporated from the filament, forming WI4. This reaction (tungsten + iodine <-> WI4) is reversible, and the higher the temperature, the more WI4 will convert back to tungsten metal and iodine. And because you get the highest temperatures at the weakspots of the filament, the tungsten will deposit there and repair them.

This is why halogen lamps lasts so much longer than normal light bulbs.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 09:21:08 am »

But the tungsten get interrupted on one short spot: I would explain this if the arc somehow expands to bypass the whole filament. Or is that what are you saying? If so, I don't get how the plasma, once generated, can bypass the whole filament, rather than only the spot of missing tungsten.
Yes, either the arc expands along the filament, or the conductive plasma cloud hits the support wires
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: thexeno

• Regular Contributor
  • Just another EE
    • Personal website
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 09:28:42 am »

Yes, either the arc expands along the filament, or the conductive plasma cloud hits the support wires

The fact that the filament is broken in 3 spots, 2 of them at the edges of the L and N lines, might facilitate such plasma expansion, as there are 3 plasma clouds and they can easily merge together.
So, looking for a proof of this theory, I was trying to find some slow-mo videos, but was not able in finding one showing the plasma and such reaction... Maybe could this be an idea for a Youtuber? :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:42:12 am by thexeno »

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 12:34:11 pm »
I think bulbs used to have a fusible link to protect the external circuit on failure. Maybe later bulbs cut this out to save money?
That could well be the reason. In the old days consumer units used wire fuses, so blowing the fuse was a PITA to fix. Now almost everyone has breakers, and flipping the breaker back on is so simple I guess the bulb makers are relaxed about popping it.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 02:17:44 pm »
This must be 240v problem. Never had this happen or even heard of this over here in 120v land (and there are no bulb fuses here either). Normally, an AC arc is hard to maintain unless a substantial current was already flowing (hence breaker arc arrestors). However, due to the low pressure (usually of noble gasses), I can see a more severe arc forming.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline stevelup

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 04:11:48 pm »
Here in the UK we have 240V and usually lighting circuits are protected by a 6A breaker. Having the breaker trip when an incandescent lamp fails is absolutely routine. I'd say it happens far more often than it doesn't.

That said, I don't have a single incandescent lamp left in my house now after finding the holy grail LED replacement.

And for a bit of thread drift for UK folks:- https://www.screwfix.com/p/luceco-dim2warm-bc-gls-led-light-bulb-810lm-10w/4275p

These are just fantastic. Easily as bright as a 60W lamp when on full. Lovely dimming curve right down to zero on any old dimmer, and colour temperature that reduces as you dim it. No buzzing. No flickering.

Offline jimdeane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 05:04:00 pm »
What if it's tripping an arc-fault breaker?

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 05:33:40 pm »
The 6A breakers combined with the higher voltage would be the cause of false trips then. Here we use 10A or usually 15A breakers for everything.
*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline schmitt trigger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 05:47:49 pm »
What is the bulb wattage?

I read somewhere that lamps below 40W had full vacuum, and above that they had a small amount of inert gas, to aid in the self healing.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 05:52:38 pm »
What is the bulb wattage?

I read somewhere that lamps below 40W had full vacuum, and above that they had a small amount of inert gas, to aid in the self healing.
Bulbs mostly have a considerable amount of inert gas in them, so they are below atmospheric pressure when cool, and above atmospheric pressure when hot, allowing a very thin glass envelope to offer a reasonably robust product.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 05:54:49 pm »

Yes, in the good old days, at least in the UK, one leadout wire in the base had an in-line fuse. It was a small silica-filled glass tube integral with the lead (ie. no end caps).

Then, when manufacture moved to foreign distant shores, the inevitable happened.  ::)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:15:53 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »
This must be 240v problem. Never had this happen or even heard of this over here in 120v land
It must be... Never seen that hapenning  in Canada (120V)
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 06:45:36 pm »
What if it's tripping an arc-fault breaker?

You will not find arc-fault breakers in the UK.

The cynic in me says that AFCIs were pushed into the US electrical code to improve the profits of the people who benefit from them: (a) installers who use "stab in" terminals on receptacles to save installation time, (b) people who make and sell AFCI units.

Stab in terminals are inherently dangerous and I'm almost certain they would not be allowed in the UK.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 07:52:54 pm »
You will not find arc-fault breakers in the UK.
we got em,mentioned  very briefly in the 17th edition of our wiring regs,introduced in the 18th (latest) edition and no doubt compulsory by the 19th

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
Mains wiring and a light bulb both have inductance, so a lamp failure generates a HV transient.

OP's light bulb arced with enough fault current to melt the socket cap and trip the breaker, yet do no damage (melt) the thin wires and filament inside the bulb. You can see the arc was instead outside the envelope- between the socket cap and center pole wire.

I have seen many incandescent lamps burn out and take out the SCR or triac in dimmers. But with 120VAC mains, no breakers tripping.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 08:32:44 pm »
Stab in terminals are inherently dangerous and I'm almost certain they would not be allowed in the UK.
Thanks Ian, I didn't know that. Interesting article, which also exposes the differences between a residential and an industrial grade outlet.
https://www.handymanhowto.com/electrical-outlets-side-wire-versus-back-wire/
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf