Author Topic: How can I kick-start my EE career?  (Read 12681 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: How can I kick-start my EE career?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 11:46:58 am »
I wouldn't worry about entry scores

But no score, no entry!
Unless you get in another way via mature age, transfer, advanced standing, or personal grovelling etc.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
I will pursue my passion and my goal, to become an electrical engineer. I am finding school far too easy and it feels like its all about fun and games. I can't wait to go to uni and challenge myself and learn about electronics!

In that case you might be in for a rude shock!
The first 2 years is usually boring as batshit maths, physics, and depending on the uni, other generic cross disciplined stuff "just in case" you decide to change your mind and switch from electrical to mechanical or civil engineering.
Don't laugh, it's true, it's very common for students to switch disciplines in the first two years.
I had to go out on site visits and learn to use a theodolite.

I have had a look at different courses in different universities, I have the handbook of 4 universities, what surprised me was the fact that 3 out of 4 required a pretty average entry score which did not seem to be challenging. This makes me question whenever electrical engineering is taken seriously.

The scores usually aren't that high, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps it's because of the large numbers of places or some such compared to other courses? Engineering degrees are usually classified (in this country at least) as fairly generic type degrees.

Dave.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:13 am »
In uni everybody have to survive the math but not everyone have to stick with them for the rest of their career.

Like I've said many times, I've never had to solve an integral in over 20 years in the industry.
YMMV!

Dave.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »
In uni everybody have to survive the math but not everyone have to stick with them for the rest of their career.

Like I've said many times, I've never had to solve an integral in over 20 years in the industry.
YMMV!

Dave.

And that's what pisses me off about the educations given to people who want to learn electronics. So much time is wasted on pointless drivel.

In real life : if you can't do it with a 1$ calculator that has + - * / sqr log ( for db) it is useless. You will never need to do it. And in cases you need some more complex function you are dealing with something that cant be done , in a practical way, without advanced tools like matlab or mathcad or a spice engine.

The same for that site survey with a theodolite ... What the fuck are we wasting time on ?!?
Making a theodolite.. Maybe .. Using it is not for the ee.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »
I've used a theodolite, was easier to build with. After the concrete cured the error across the build was 2mm in level. Not an EE,  but BIL is a civil eng ( we won't let him put a plug on a wire without checking, but basically an intelligent guy) who has done big projects.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 05:51:55 pm »
YMMV!

And that's what pisses me off about the educations given to people who want to learn electronics. So much time is wasted on pointless drivel.

In real life : if you can't do it with a 1$ calculator that has + - * / sqr log ( for db) it is useless. You will never need to do it. And in cases you need some more complex function you are dealing with something that cant be done , in a practical way, without advanced tools like matlab or mathcad or a spice engine.

YMMV indeed. It all depends on what career path you end up taking. My job involves designing simulation tools like LTspice and I use very complex mathematics and engineering  theory all the time. Yes, solving horrible integrals gets required sometimes, especially in thermodynamics. Solving systems of differential and algebraic equations comes up all the time. Understanding the theory of operation and appropriate models for the representation of engineering devices or components is bread and butter to the job.

In your career there may be jobs that are very hands on and practical, or there may be jobs that are heavy on the theory. There is space out there for everyone.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 07:00:33 pm »
Roughly speaking, there are two ways to create a result

(1) Think a little, do* a lot, get poor results.

(2) Think a lot, do a little, get good results.

Depending on the problem, math can be incredibly helpful during the "think" part. When you find that you want to skip the "think" part you should check if you try to evade the theory, and if necessary refresh on it.

* Do, as in build, program, rework, experiment.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:15 am »
The same for that site survey with a theodolite ... What the fuck are we wasting time on ?!?
Making a theodolite.. Maybe .. Using it is not for the ee.

And that is their whole point. They want to educate you on "engineering" in general, because they (the educators) really do think civil engineering is closely related to electrical engineering, and that students aren't supposed to know what they want, so have to be shown all form of "engineering" and given the choice.
Sadly, they are kinda right, the majority of students have no clue what they are interested in.

I don't really want to start the engineering education thread again!

Dave.

Offline bradleytron

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2012, 06:17:10 am »
My advice would be that, first and foremost, follow your heart. If your like many of us, your love for electronics and engineering will prove itself by virtue of its endurance as one among the top passions for all the great things you encounter in life.

Work your ass off in school, sacrifice your social existence, if need be, and you will be rewarded because I think that an engineering degree(s) still yield the biggest bang for your buck!

If you want to have an edge going in, use as much spare time as you can to learn (by doing) practical electronics along with developing a solid understanding for the associated math and physics. This abstract knowledge and skill will open doors for you in terms of your ability to be creative, innovative and effective when working toward solutions. The more ways (angles from which) you can attack a problem, the more likely you are to find the best outcome! And, of course, sometimes bruit force practical application) works just the same!

I have had my share of regrets in life but I can say, with full clarity of purpose, that my love for electronics engineering has always endured even the worst of time.

Good luck to you.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf