Author Topic: How does this snake oil really work?  (Read 106857 times)

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
  • If you think my Boobs are big you should see my ba
Re: How does this snake oil really work?
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2017, 06:20:02 pm »
It is still free energy if you believe in it hard enough.  :scared:

I'm just waiting for a free energy device to make its way to kickstarter. Maybe the Missouri depart of transportation will invest in it. If I lived in that state I would be pissed at my congress people for wasting money on that. 
Max characters: 300; characters remaining: 191
Images in your signature must be no greater than 500x25 pixels

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2017, 09:08:59 pm »
Reviving an almost 3 years old thread?

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 18, 2017, 09:25:49 pm »

Its new to me and very interesting. I wonder what the "inventor" is doing now. TED talks about how all engineers are linear thinkers and how they told him it wouldn't work and raising VC money? Remember they told the Wright brothers it wouldn't work... and also told the Jones brothers ... and the Smith brothers and 1000 other idiots who tried to make bird wings attached to a bicycle.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2017, 09:54:24 pm »

Its new to me and very interesting. I wonder what the "inventor" is doing now. TED talks about how all engineers are linear thinkers and how they told him it wouldn't work and raising VC money? Remember they told the Wright brothers it wouldn't work... and also told the Jones brothers ... and the Smith brothers and 1000 other idiots who tried to make bird wings attached to a bicycle.

You know, the explanations how it works and what he has really "invented" are on the first page of the thread.

And there is also a difference between claiming that something isn't gonna work only because nobody has done it before or people don't believe it can be made to work based on the state of technology or past experience (your examples above) and something that is physically impossible to make to work because it violates the known laws of nature (all the "free energy" BS).

When talking about "engineers being linear thinkers" - are you citing Elizabeth Holmes, the CEO of Theranos that tried so hard to be the next Steve Jobs that she even dressed like him, black turtlenecks and all? I believe she has said that in one of her (many) TED talks. Now she is being sued for scamming her investors because it so happened that those "linear thinker" engineers were right and all her miraculous innovation was only hot air. If she avoids prison she can consider herself lucky.

Oh no, I think I am wrong - that was Meredith Perry, the CEO of uBeam, the famous ultrasonic phone charging company. Another investor darling, blonde girl that single-handedly solved a problem that others are unable to. 

She said that in 2012:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/women2/2012/05/02/ubeam-founder-and-ceo-meredith-perry-on-how-to-be-a-technology-innovator-tedx-video-talk/#b8bf735777d0

Unfortunately, I have yet to see an ultrasonic charger from this company. (uBeam has been analyzed to death on this forum). They haven't been even able to show an actually working demonstration, despite all the tall claims and millions of USD spent.

And those two example didn't even go against the laws of nature, they were just scams (the former) or totally impractical because of the physics involved (the latter). Go figure ...

This "engineers being unable-to-think-out-of-the-box idiots" argument is really tiring (and insulting), especially when no evidence of the gizmo being promoted actually working is given (an obviously faked Youtube video is not evidence). Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. In most cases it only shows that the person making that arrogant argument has absolultely no clue what they are talking about. I have met many arrogant fools like that - they rarely made it far in life.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 10:15:55 pm by janoc »

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2017, 10:17:33 pm »
Just be aware that snake oil isn't a very good contact cleaner.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2017, 11:59:51 pm »

It does make good lubricant. They even make it for your engine. The best engine smake oils is: NOS octane booster that comes in a "five hour energy" bottle. I don't know whats in it but I suspect its just a ethyl or isopropyl alcohol maybe  even toluene or a Sulphur compound but that would cost more. Adding 2oz of ANYTHING to boost the octane in a 16 gal tank will increase the octane by about 0.000001%. Best part is even if it did increase the octane by say 6 points your cars ECU is not mapped to advance the timing enough to even use at more octane points. So it does nothing and I can't do anything. But does cost $5.00. Lets say it was tolulene in it. To get 93 gas to 100 you would have to add FOUR gallons of it to a 122 gallon tank with 93 already in it. Cost would be $36 = 12 gal of 93; $60 for four gal of tolulene= $96.00 For 100 Oct gas you car won't be able to use abouve 87 or 91 in a luxury/sport car.

So how much does it cost to get 100oct using NOZ fie hour energy for your car? $36 for 12 gal of 93; 256 bottles of NAWZ @ $5.00=1280
So 36 +1280 = $1316.00 for 100 octane gas your engine can't use. BUT lets assume it was alcohol you would have 96 grade gas but a performance DECRESE since your injectors wont be able to keep up with the increased fuel required to keep the stoichiometry.

I highly recommend using NOZ brand octane booster in every tank! The company should keep a list of people who buy that so they know a list of customers who will buy and dumb scam product they come up with and not complain.

Offline Sapper

« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2019, 11:38:59 pm »
Yes  I know I'm 2 years after the last response but I have only just discovered EEV blog and am currently working my way through Dave's 'back catalogue' and reached the debunking video and thought the thread would be interesting if nothing else. It's been extremely entertaining and I have read every single post in the thread.

One of the reasons I like the youtube video's is simply because Dave has an almost identical personality to me in that we both lack tact and say things as they are, occasionally bein extremely un-political correct turns of phrase. Unfortunately for me, this is where the similarity ends. I did gain a qualification in electronics here in the UK, City & Guilds 224 parts 1 & 2 but circumstances (or Murphy) conspired against me and I didn't keep in touch or practice the craft. After watching Dave's & Big Clives channels my interest was once again kindled.

I don't have the thorough understanding that most of the members of the forum posess and likely will never catch up but even I could see the folly of the claims made by the creator of the video that sparked this entertaining thread. The reponses to ManOfStone were in the beginning polite and generally pointing out the misconceptions he had. It was only after ManOf Stone responded with condescending remarks and tried to baffle people with his unsubstantiated remark that he had studied 'the quantum vacuum' for 16 years did things start to get slightly confrontational yet still humerous and very entertaining.

I'm going to have to start reading similar threads to boost my re-learning of the many things I have forgotten during my 30 years of abstinence from the world of electronics. I am naturally a mechanicaly minded person but I have a greater interest in electronics but still struggle in immediately understanding how a circuit works even with schematics in all but the simplest of circuits while even fairly complex mechanical devices seem pretty obvious to me just by looking at them.

I now intend to read and try to digest the information contained on this forum and the videos to help me get more enlightened. Thanks for the great info you guys'girls provide.

Offline Beamin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2019, 05:46:07 pm »
Yes  I know I'm 2 years after the last response but I have only just discovered EEV blog and am currently working my way through Dave's 'back catalogue' and reached the debunking video and thought the thread would be interesting if nothing else. It's been extremely entertaining and I have read every single post in the thread.

One of the reasons I like the youtube video's is simply because Dave has an almost identical personality to me in that we both lack tact and say things as they are, occasionally bein extremely un-political correct turns of phrase. Unfortunately for me, this is where the similarity ends. I did gain a qualification in electronics here in the UK, City & Guilds 224 parts 1 & 2 but circumstances (or Murphy) conspired against me and I didn't keep in touch or practice the craft. After watching Dave's & Big Clives channels my interest was once again kindled.

I don't have the thorough understanding that most of the members of the forum posess and likely will never catch up but even I could see the folly of the claims made by the creator of the video that sparked this entertaining thread. The reponses to ManOfStone were in the beginning polite and generally pointing out the misconceptions he had. It was only after ManOf Stone responded with condescending remarks and tried to baffle people with his unsubstantiated remark that he had studied 'the quantum vacuum' for 16 years did things start to get slightly confrontational yet still humerous and very entertaining.

I'm going to have to start reading similar threads to boost my re-learning of the many things I have forgotten during my 30 years of abstinence from the world of electronics. I am naturally a mechanicaly minded person but I have a greater interest in electronics but still struggle in immediately understanding how a circuit works even with schematics in all but the simplest of circuits while even fairly complex mechanical devices seem pretty obvious to me just by looking at them.

I now intend to read and try to digest the information contained on this forum and the videos to help me get more enlightened. Thanks for the great info you guys'girls provide.

All of the posters in this thread are long gone and don't check their old threads anymore.

They need to invet a 5hour free energy drink. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf