Author Topic: How Good is the EEVBlog?  (Read 80069 times)

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing
Re: How Good is the EEVBlog?
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 08:53:35 pm »
people who have long verbal pauses, make throat noises, swallows, etc every two seconds, mouth clicks and lip licks, oh man it's so irritating.
TOTALLY agree!
Thanks god for giving Dave a nice eloquence!

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:14 pm »
Greetings EEVBees:

--I am constantly looking for good electronic videos watch out of the corner of my eye while my hands are busy doing routine and repetitive repair work. At least ninety percent of individual posters I disqualify and cease watching for various reasons. None of which apply to Dave, which is one of the reasons, other than the inherent interest of the topics, why we are drawn to keep watching Dave.

--Sound problems like:

1)Extraneous noise, music, or echos making it harder to concentrate let alone hear.
2)Bad mike setups where you hear a loud noise every time the work or the desk is touched.
3)Individuals with extremely ugly vocal qualities who seem to be yelling all the time, or people who have long verbal pauses, make throat noises, swallows, etc every two seconds, mouth clicks and lip licks.
4)Caspar Milquetoast who cannot adjust his vocal volume and periodically resorts to whispering.
5)Walter Mitty who suddenly starts mumbling to himself, as if thinking aloud, when he reaches a difficult point.
6)Porky Pig who you can almost understand until the approaches the pupuh pupuh puhpoint of the muhmah muhmuh muhmatter. Why not edit to keep people from replaying till they can comprehend.
7)Videos where one has to ride the gain, to keep from being deafened because the perceived volume keep jumping up and down by orders of magnitude.
8)Unintelligebility due to, poor speaking habits or extreme accent. I always understand Dave, and he is speaking a foreign language.

--Bad programing and editing:

1)Doing the umpteenth "How to test a diode" or "Replace Laptop Power Jack" video.
2)Videos that are almost still pictures, in that most of them consist of a talking head with a non-moving background, whiteboard talks excepted.
3)Overlong, pompous, and boring bumper intros with sound that demands rather that solicits attention.
4)Videos that include every jot and tiddle of a lengthy, prosaic and mundane dis-assembly. We want to learn things not watch your mnemonic screw placement documentation video!
5)Not re-shooting videos where the point of discussion is out of frame or obscured by hand(s).
6)Hand held camera problems, like the shaky camera, and the camera that wanders about randomly because the watcher is talking, and not paying attention. This kind of stuff is irritating and causes me to tune out.
7)Plodding along, flogging a dead horse, tearing a passion to tatters, and pointless repetition.
8)Videos that are laden with too much commercial promotion material.
9)Any videos where it takes two or more "chatty" people to explain an easy to understand widget or concept.
10)Inadequate light and/or low resolution.

--Fellow EEVBees, if you think of any other peeves that make Dave's erstwhile competitors, unwatchable, please include them in this thread, and I will collect them and re-post every six months or so. I have already added in some points by "Syntax-Error", as you can see. And, do not forget to patronize Dave's advertisers, reminding them you found them on EEVBlog, when placing your order, if possible.

"Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum."
Augustus De Morgan 1806 -1871

Best Regards
Clear Ether
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:19:04 pm by SgtRock »

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:33 pm »
I would like to see Dave putting his huge collection of equipment to work instead of collecting more and more. I liked the power supply design videos, but that project seems to have died a year ago.

The production quality of Dave's videos is indeed consistently high, which I think is important, especially the audio. I can tolerate poor video quality, but poor audio is just infuriating.
Also please always start the video with audio, especially for headphone users (like me). I don't think Dave ever did it, but some other channel I follow sometimes starts the video with no audio instead of the usual intro music. I've had several times now that in a reflex I increase the volume, only to blast my eardrums to pieces when the actual video starts 10 seconds in...

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 09:38:31 pm »
I would like to see Dave putting his huge collection of equipment to work instead of collecting more and more.

I would like nothing more than to do video after video working on advanced projects with advanced tools. Unfortunately developing advanced projects to use said advanced tools takes a lot of time and effort, during which time no other videos get done.
It's all well and good to go develop a project to show some advanced thing, but at the end of the day you only get one (or a few) videos out of it for your effort.

The problem is that, like it or not, I am in the entertainment business, and have set a bar with video frequency and mix, so it's all about producing videos consistently to keep everyone happy. Therefore it ultimately always boils down to become a value-per-effort equation for each video.

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 10:14:58 pm »
I would like to see Dave putting his huge collection of equipment to work instead of collecting more and more.
The problem is that, like it or not, I am in the entertainment business, and have set a bar with video frequency and mix, so it's all about producing videos consistently to keep everyone happy. Therefore it ultimately always boils down to become a value-per-effort equation for each video.

Well said. I'm curious, do you only work on one video at a time (i.e. serialize your production, beginning to end), or do you develop multiple videos in parallel?

For the longer-term project stuff, collecting footage of a complex project over a longer period of time while still putting out your weeklies might be an option. Then all that's left is editing (typically, the hardest part for longer videos shot over long periods of time, since you already seem to know how to work the camera/mic setup well enough to get set up and shooting quickly).

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 01:53:00 am »
BTW, regarding having other people, I loved the episodes with that retired electronic magazine guy.  Maybe because of the personal aspect because he was your hero.

I like those too, but many didn't because they don't know him or the magazine, and I expected that.

2nding the love for the Colin Mitchell videos. I never was into Talking Electronics etc (came along a little bit after I'd moved past their level), and for various reasons I usually don't bother watching videos (including most EEVBlog ones; sorry...) unless there's something I think might be particularly interesting, but I watched all of those.

Twice, in fact, because my partner caught the end of one, thought it looked interesting (despite no knowledge or interest in electronics herself), and decided to watch them all. She loved them.

And yes, put me down as another one for a similar series with Jim Rowe. People used to criticise his "When I Look Back" articles, but a video - particularly if there's a bit of back-and-forth with someone equally passionate about the hobby/trade/profession - would be a different kettle of fish.

Offline neotesla

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 11:17:29 am »
I think that EEVblog is really good. Especially when one considers that it's totally free.  O0

I admit that I watch it mostly for the entertainment factor (as I am not an engineer, not even an electronic hobbyist - I just like to see how stuff works).

I tend to like teardowns the best, followed by fundamentals and mailbag. I am not too big on trade show videos (although I do watch them, and they have good moments). This last thing is probably related to the fact that I am not in the elec. industry. I think I've seen all 600+ videos, some of them more than once. So, yes, put me down as a big fan.

I also like Mike's videos, but as (as far as I know) he's not a "pro" vlogger, so a direct comparison with Dave makes little sense. His recent stuff on FLIR is just out of this world. Honestly, I think the guy is a genius. And I mean that literally.

As far as Ben Heck is concerned, I tend to ignore (or skip) the "funny" parts, and I don't blame Ben for overproduction (or annoying effects), as I guess it's not under his control. One of his last videos (on "Raspberry Pi shop cam") is totally cool and enjoyable. Possibly his best ever.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2014, 12:24:10 pm »
I view the eevblog as one bloke sharing his enthusiasm for his main hobby.  No different to photon induction, mike's electrical doodar, etc.

The fact Dave always seams to enjoy what he's doing is exactly why I continue to watch.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2014, 12:38:31 pm »
Well said. I'm curious, do you only work on one video at a time (i.e. serialize your production, beginning to end), or do you develop multiple videos in parallel?

Almost always a serial thing. I rarely have two videos in production at once.
And I usually have no strict list of what video to do next, it something pops up and I'm enthusiastic about then, then I capitalise on that enthusiam and shoot the video.
For example, I'm shooting a teardown tuesday now, and will finish that, but didn't know what video was going to be after that. But now I think I'll shoot a short follow-up video on the current integration one, showing some extra stuff.

For the longer-term project stuff, collecting footage of a complex project over a longer period of time while still putting out your weeklies might be an option. Then all that's left is editing (typically, the hardest part for longer videos shot over long periods of time, since you already seem to know how to work the camera/mic setup well enough to get set up and shooting quickly).

Actually, editing is usually the easiest part for me, as I shoot clips in sequence, so it's a simple matter of dropping all into the timeline, trimming, deleting the odd re-take, and that's it - render - upload.
A 30 minute video say will only take 30min-1hour to edit, but will almost always take many hours to shoot, perhaps most of the day if I have to dick around with stuff and get the usual distractions.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »
The fact Dave always seams to enjoy what he's doing is exactly why I continue to watch.

I get that a lot, and the impression that my enthusiasm does somehow rub off and is likely the reason for my success.
After all, my voice sucks, I can't act or compose myself properly, my dialog is always long-winded, I'm often too lazy to look up stuff or check things to make sure it's right or go the extra mile to do something, and sometimes just complete babble comes out of my mouth. Yet people keep watching. It's gotta be the enthusiasm!  ;D

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »
I am not too big on trade show videos (although I do watch them, and they have good moments).

I honestly don't expect people to like the trade show videos (and based on the numbers, they don't care for them much). I do them because, well, it's on topic and it's the only trade show in Australia, so I think it's important that someone gets some footage of it for posterity.
Same with stuff like the Colin Mitchell interview and Doug's microphone video series that many seem to complain about.

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:11 pm »
I am not too big on trade show videos (although I do watch them, and they have good moments).

I honestly don't expect people to like the trade show videos (and based on the numbers, they don't care for them much). I do them because, well, it's on topic and it's the only trade show in Australia, so I think it's important that someone gets some footage of it for posterity.
Same with stuff like the Colin Mitchell interview and Doug's microphone video series that many seem to complain about.

I like the trade show stuff but have found that I get motion sickness from the continually moving camera. I am not asking you to do anything about it since I am probably the only person this happens to. :palm:

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2014, 01:14:39 pm »
I like the trade show stuff but have found that I get motion sickness from the continually moving camera. I am not asking you to do anything about it since I am probably the only person this happens to. :palm:

You aren't. Quite a few people bitch about it. Then when I do what they want to fix it, a new batch of people come in the replace them  ;D
I think it's quite simply impossible for me to get such footage without someone complaining about it. Even if I had dolly rigs and moves at 1kmh ::)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2014, 04:10:28 pm »

Shoot, those were some of the most interesting videos you have done. People, developers and those who made the electronics industry and left a mark.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2014, 04:22:32 pm »
I get that a lot, and the impression that my enthusiasm does somehow rub off and is likely the reason for my success.

This was also the reason behind Steve Irwin's success. He could talk about anything with great enthusiasm.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:38 pm »
I liked those, but I did "consume" them differently compared to most other videos. I watched those as if they were podcasts, occasionally pulling the video up when something interesting happened. They don't fit the typical fast-paced Youtube magic formula, so a lower view count was to be expected.
I would consider it a huge missed opportunity if you didn't do those videos.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:22 am »
You aren't. Quite a few people bitch about it. Then when I do what they want to fix it, a new batch of people come in the replace them  ;D
I think it's quite simply impossible for me to get such footage without someone complaining about it. Even if I had dolly rigs and moves at 1kmh ::)
Ah you need to build yourself a camera stabilizer such as the one built for StarWars when they were running through the forests.
Nowadays with those multi Axis Gyro-Accelerometer ICs this must be a challenge for you  :-+
http://www.jamesarnett.com/guide/4-3-6.html

Offline alimirjamali

• Regular Contributor
  • Analog! D2A or A2D?
    • Ali's personal blog (updated once per year!)
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 03:32:24 pm »
I have been following this little discussion. Since I wanted to practice my parseltongue skills, talking with snakes (Python Programming), I decided to write few lines to analyze some of popular electronics Youtube Channels. In addition to subscribers count/view count, I calculated sum of likes, dislikes and duration of entire video footage uploaded on each channel:

Afrotechmods
Subscribers: 119,954
views: 23'834'444
Dislikes: 7'330
duration: 14'164
Contextual Electronics
Subscribers: 1,496
views: 97'724
dislikes: 32
duration: 86'020
Fran Blanche
Subscribers: 10,440
views: 665'384
dislikes: 144
duration: 57'919
EEVblog
Subscribers: 172,220
views: 28'433'967
dislikes: 15'313
duration: 1'112'866
Jeri Ellsworth
Subscribers: 54,769
views: 7'577'332
dislikes: 2'055
duration: 359'620
mikeselectricstuff
Subscribers: 31,927
views: 3'480'145
dislikes: 765
duration: 125'665
mjlorton
views:
duration:
Jeremy Blum
Subscribers: 78,313
views: 8'522'384
dislikes: 1'351
duration: 62'215
The Ben Heck Show
Subscribers: 305,228
views: 16'850'307
dislikes: 6975
duration: 151'308
TheSignalPathBlog
Subscribers: 15,898
views: 713'709
dislikes: 123
duration: 96'703
vk2zay
Subscribers: 4,343
views: 857'209
dislikes: 94
duration: 35'833
w2aew
Subscribers: 19,853
views: 2'081'553
dislikes: 225
duration: 101'110

Numbers do not lie. EEVBlog wins. Game over. Period. :P

Alright. Despite less views and likes, TheBenHeckShow has more subscribers. That show is heavily sponsored with eye catching teasers to prompt clicking subscribe button. Dave is doing a one man show (with few help from Mrs. EEVBlog and Sagan).

One last word: Before bitching about low quality of free valuable electronics training/entertaining videos on those channels, consider doing a better job yourself. :rant:

1. Please note that information provided through Youtube API is RAW data. Usually some of likes/dislikes/views are not counted until confirmed not to be spam.
2. Also note that the data was extracted last night.
3. Total duration of videos in seconds.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:46:18 pm by alimirjamali »

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 11:17:05 pm »
I've watched a few videos from most of the above and they are all very good presenters and they produce watchable videos.

The best (as in most relevant and interesting to me) are W2AEW and mikeselectricstuff although I just watched one of vk2zay's videos for the first time and it was very good.
I think some of the Eevblog tutorials are very good and I've enjoyed a few teardowns but I can't watch the (very long?) eevblog lab/chitchat/mailbox/rant videos. Not for me but clearly very popular with the main audience :)

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 11:25:52 pm by G0HZU »

Offline German_EETopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2014, 05:28:49 am »
Almirjamil, thank you, I did not know that such a summary of electronics blogs was possible. If nothing else you have proved my original post but the figures are fascinating.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2014, 06:17:06 am »

Being one of those people that get motion sick from pictures, I have to say the last walk through was vastly better.

I also have to say I don't like everything on the blog, what I do like is well worth watching. I could be wrong but my bet is that the blog will change because Dave's interests do. I could see Dave making a visit to a local machine shop and asking to take the cover off the CNC controller so he could have a look. Of knocking on the door of a local repair shop (if one exists) or asking the local sparkie if he could look at his tool kit.   

Offline jay

• Regular Contributor
  • Coder
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2014, 08:01:40 am »
Numbers do not lie. EEVBlog wins. Game over. Period. :P

Alright. Despite less views and likes, TheBenHeckShow has more subscribers.

I've subscribed to all of those except one that I hadn't noticed before. I watch all new videos from Dave but only the most interesting videos from the others. I'm probably not the only one.

I think Dave's success comes from many things that could be difficult to analyse but there are few clear reasons. The videos are not only information and educational but also often very entertaining. Ben Heck tries so hard to be funny, but often fails so badly, that we need a word for it: embarrathy (empathy + embarrassment). Dave's personality (including the famous enthusiasm) is probably a big part of the success but it probably also attracts the haters. If a musician has real fans then there are also real haters.. Seems to apply to vloggers too.
Although Dave has some Australian accent he speaks very clearly and he doesn't have that fast pace of the 3 minute American vloggers, which makes it easier for him to reach the international audience that has learned English as a second or a third language. Understanding some of Dave's Australian guests are much more difficult so I guess Dave is intentionally speaking clearly on camera. Doug Ford has been an excellent guest on EEVBlog: funny, easy to understand and a lot of interesting experience. I suddenly found an interest in audio  :-DD

The quality of Dave's videos has improved so much over the years. The earliest videos look very unprofessional now. Still there's some magic in some of the early videos. I really loved some of the videos from times when there was the intro animation with rock sound track and Dave saying "Welcome to the EEVBlog, ...".  There were some really funny moments :-DD

The mailbag probably reaches very wide audience but for us beginners and hobbyists the fundamentals fridays and the tutorial videos are very important. Dave is a good teacher. Ben Krasnow of Applied Science is also good at explaining things. I guess I find Dave and Krasnow better teachers than w2aew because w2aew hides behind the camera and doesn't create that more personal (unidirectional) connection. My thoughts tend to drift away when watching w2aew's videos :-// If you know what I mean.. I'm not very good at explaining this in English.

If Dave happens to read this.. Thank you for the videos. Never mind the critics and the haters - make videos for the fans.
SW engineer trying to design HW because it's more fun.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2014, 08:31:23 am »
If you haven't figured out why Dave is "good at what he does" yet, I'll sum it up for you. It's 'cause he is passionate about it. 

It's also helpful he has years of experience, and is the kind of guy that shares all the "traps for young players" 

Side note:  I always make note of the "traps" when Dave puts them up on a video........and then make the same mistake months later!  Urrr.  Some lessons are hard won. And unless you spend a day or two beating your head on a breadboard full of sharp male-male headers, it might not stick with you)

BTW - interesting stats.  Care to break them down?   Who has the most likes-to-views-ratio?  Who has the most views/subscriber?  Thank kinda of stuff.

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2014, 02:54:31 pm »
Actually, editing is usually the easiest part for me, as I shoot clips in sequence, so it's a simple matter of dropping all into the timeline, trimming, deleting the odd re-take, and that's it - render - upload.
A 30 minute video say will only take 30min-1hour to edit, but will almost always take many hours to shoot, perhaps most of the day if I have to dick around with stuff and get the usual distractions.

Yeah, thats the difference between video shot over a long period of time, and video shot serially. one is much easier to edit than the other.

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2014, 07:51:46 am »
The big hit here is the forum. Wouldn't call the video blog mediocre but the host goes for mostly easy/trivial subjects relying mostly on his "enthusiasm". Or put another way, if I was to consume such stuff (i.e. had the time and all, and wanted to learn something about electronics) and was subscribed for say these youtube channels - eevblog, kf5obs, mikeselectronicsstuff, w2aew, thesignalpathblog, "the post apocalyptic inventor", jeri ellsworth, etc. and eevblog disappeared one day I wouldn't probably notice... Ahem, snif, snif, excuse the blasphemy and all...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf